PDA

View Full Version : Extension: 5E Action Abilities

Claneidosyan
December 7th, 2017, 18:24
Hello, everyone!

After using the fantastic Combat Shortcuts Actions extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40381-Combat-Shortcuts-actions-extension) for Pathfinder for some time, me and my group decided to try D&D5E and we started playing with that instead.
I really liked that extension, but sadly there was no equivalent for 5E, so I decided to try making it myself.

Since it ended up being better than I expected I thought that someone else may find it useful, so here it is!

For those who might not know the original extension, this basically adds a bar on the actions tab with ability checks, saves and initiative, so you can play with less window switching.

Screenshot:

The items in the action bar are the abilities checks and saving throws, the initiative and the character AC from the main page.

This only changes the Actions tab of the character sheet, so it should be compatible with any extension that doesn't touch that.

It's my first extension, so there might be something wrong and/or some really bad tactic for extension making.
If you think I should change/add something comment and I'll see what I can do!

Enjoy (I hope :p)!

The "wounds" variant is an edit of the extension made by Rino, with the addition of HP, Wounds, temp and speed. Now updated with more compatibility and smaller file size!

Update 1.1: added labels to checks and saves row. Screenshot: 22065
Update 1.2: removed useless code using ruleset layering. The extension should be more compatible now. Did the same thing with the HP version by Rino.

Gwydion
December 7th, 2017, 18:31
I'm an idiot. Disregard.. Nothing to see here... :)

Gwydion
December 7th, 2017, 18:44
Hello, everyone!

After using the fantastic Combat Shortcuts Actions extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40381-Combat-Shortcuts-actions-extension) for Pathfinder for some time, me and my group decided to try D&D5E and we started playing with that instead.
I really liked that extension, but sadly there was no equivalent for 5E, so I decided to try making it myself.

Since it ended up being better than I expected I thought that someone else may find it useful, so here it is!

The items in the action bar are the abilities checks and saving throws, the initiative and the character AC from the main page.

It's my first extension, so there might be something wrong and/or some really bad tactic for extension making.

One question. This looks really cool by the way! Have you tested with other extensions? I have a game tonight and would love to use it but I do use other extensions and was just curious if you have tested compatibility with others. I might wait until I can test it further before throwing into my game tonight, but I really like the idea!

Claneidosyan
December 7th, 2017, 18:58
I'm currently using it with:

5E - Advanced Effects
5E Player Effect Removal
Apply Effect on CT Drop
5E Table Import
Field filters for all libraries
Hero points for 5E (as seen in the screenshot :p)
Image Text Labels
MoodLighting

It only changes the Actions tab of the character sheet, so it should be compatible with any extension that doesn't touch that, but I haven't done much testing other than letting my group use it, so I can't guarantee that it's completely bug-free.
For now we haven't had problems, but if you want to be safe it's better to try it after tonight's game.
Still it's a really simple extension, so if you're not using other extensions that change the action tab it shouldn't break anything.

I also tried it without the WotC theme and it works, by the way.

Gwydion
December 7th, 2017, 19:03
I'm currently using it with:

5E - Advanced Effects
5E Player Effect Removal
Apply Effect on CT Drop
5E Table Import
Field filters for all libraries
Hero points for 5E (as seen in the screenshot :p)
Image Text Labels
MoodLighting

It only changes the Actions tab of the character sheet, so it should be compatible with any extension that doesn't touch that, but I haven't done much testing other than letting my group use it, so I can't guarantee that it's completely bug-free.
For now we haven't had problems, but if you want to be safe it's better to try it after tonight's game.
Still it's a really simple extension, so if you're not using other extensions that change the action tab it shouldn't break anything.

I also tried it without the WotC theme and it works, by the way.

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply!

sorvan76
December 7th, 2017, 19:36
Works fine for me, although I'm not using anything that touches the action tab. Great work! :)

Rhym
December 21st, 2017, 03:20
Nice work!

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be great if there was a checkbox to add proficiency, so you could bypass the skills window entirely. The AC display is also not really that useful, you could cut that ;)

Claneidosyan
December 21st, 2017, 18:15
You mean something you can click to add the proficiency bonus to the next ability check?

In our setup we usually put the skill with proficiency in the shortcut bar, so we can bypass the skill window that way and this addon let us do out ability checks and saves, so we can bypass the main window too (unless we need to level up).
I put in the AC since my player usually like to see how much they have (and I had some space left) but yeah, it's not so useful.

I can try to add this check anyway, since I'd like to get better at modifying FG! :D
A brutal, but probably functional, method you could use in the meantimes could be creating a skill with an effect which gives you proficiency bonus on the next dice thrown and then is consumed. If you don't want to have it in the skill window you could probably (I'm not sure about this) add it in the shortcut pane and use it with F1 (or the one you like best :P) before the ability check.

Edit: by the way, I've been using this some more and it looks stable (for us at least). Is it possible to add it to the community extensions thread?

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2017, 21:02
Edit: by the way, I've been using this some more and it looks stable (for us at least). Is it possible to add it to the community extensions thread?

Yes, I've asked Trenloe to do so when he gets a minute. For some peculiar reason I cannot edit that thread.

Rades
January 12th, 2018, 00:45
This looks very handy! My one observation is it might be nice to have something small indicating which ability score row is for checks and which row is for saves. I can definitely see my players being asked to make a Dexterity check and then being unsure which row is which.

Claneidosyan
January 31st, 2018, 19:59
Sorry for the delay. I'll add a way to distinguish checks and saves. Could a small label at the beginning of the row with only "c" and "s" be enough?

EDIT: I updated the main post. I added the labels at the beginning of the row. Let me know if it's better now! :D

KlatuB
February 4th, 2018, 03:15
I downloaded what I thought was the updated extension but the "c" and "s" don't show like the screenshot.

KlatuB
February 4th, 2018, 03:19
turns out it had an old version loaded, I can see the update now

Zetesofos
February 11th, 2018, 19:42
I can't seem to find the link to the 5E extenstion. Is it gone, or am I missing something?

Axoid
February 11th, 2018, 20:04
Ignore my post, I thought I was replying to a different thread.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2018, 21:39
I can't seem to find the link to the 5E extenstion. Is it gone, or am I missing something?
Usually this means you are viewing the website with the mobile theme selected. Change to ti FG Responsive" from the drop down on the bottom of every page.

Mr. Hound
March 6th, 2018, 16:12
are there more mods like this? I feel like the 5e character sheet could be more concise in general and I'm attempting to learn xml to further that goal, so I'm looking for more reference material like this.

LordEntrails
March 6th, 2018, 18:03
are there more mods like this? I feel like the 5e character sheet could be more concise in general and I'm attempting to learn xml to further that goal, so I'm looking for more reference material like this.
Welcome :)

There are many extensions. But I'm not sure which ones you would consider like this. I don't recall any that modify the 5E character sheet, but their are many that modify the CoreRPG sheet and I think some that modify the MoreCore character sheet.

Are you familiar with the posts and wiki that links to the various extensions? Is this the only one close to what you want?

Mr. Hound
March 13th, 2018, 19:13
Welcome :)
There are many extensions. But I'm not sure which ones you would consider like this. I don't recall any that modify the 5E character sheet, but their are many that modify the CoreRPG sheet and I think some that modify the MoreCore character sheet.
Are you familiar with the posts and wiki that links to the various extensions? Is this the only one close to what you want?

Thank you :D

I'd like to preface that I am a recent convert from roll20, and while I am thoroughly convinced of the superior value of FG, switching from the 5E OGL character sheet design to this many tabbed box has been a more difficult transition.
So as you said, I'd like to find more extensions that modify the 5e character sheet, mostly to require less tab switching.
I've gone back to Trenloe's stickied post with the list of 5e extensions time and again, this being the result. I have not found anything especially useful on the wiki though, so if you have any links you think would fit that criteria I'd appreciate it. otherwise I suppose I'll just dig around in the files I have.

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2018, 19:35
Yea, I can't think of anything that modifies the character sheet like you are looking for, sorry.

As you elve in, as you have questions, thoughts, ideas, just jump in and ask :)

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2018, 20:13
This is the only extension that I am aware of which actually changes the character sheet (and ironically add more density to it which you are looking to avoid). Changing the character sheet is not likely to be a simple task given that it isn't just a question of moving boxes around but also ensuring that the code to make those boxes work also comes with it.

The only other thing that I found about changing the 5e character sheet is in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42777-Changing-the-name-of-a-field-in-the-character-sheet).

Claneidosyan
March 13th, 2018, 20:51
Also remember to use the shortcut bars!
Using them you can actually have most of your dices ready without changing tabs!

Nylanfs
March 14th, 2018, 02:37
Yep and remember the Shift, Control buttons give you new hotbar buttons.

mac40k
April 15th, 2018, 17:00
This is a handy extension. The only thing that would make it better is if you found the room to squeeze in wounds so you can see your character's current health without having to switch to the main tab. Maybe replace AC with WND? I can't think why I need to see my AC there.

Claneidosyan
April 15th, 2018, 17:07
Isn't the combat tracker a better option to see your current health?
Everyone usually has it open in my group, since you usually lose health in battle and the CT has a lot of other useful information anyway.

If you think it could be useful I could still add it as a variation.

Aedus Amaterasu
April 27th, 2018, 07:05
Very nice thanks for sharing! :)

damned
April 27th, 2018, 09:38
This is the only extension that I am aware of which actually changes the character sheet (and ironically add more density to it which you are looking to avoid). Changing the character sheet is not likely to be a simple task given that it isn't just a question of moving boxes around but also ensuring that the code to make those boxes work also comes with it.

The only other thing that I found about changing the 5e character sheet is in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42777-Changing-the-name-of-a-field-in-the-character-sheet).

The FG Con Extension Tute changes some things in the char sheet.
https://youtu.be/R_CulFJYs-M

Rino
December 1st, 2018, 20:13
any possibility to add HP/wounds/tempHP to this also?

Claneidosyan
December 5th, 2018, 12:18
Hi Rino, I don't think I'll add HP, wounds and tempHP to this: the space is not much and it's generally used together with the combat tracker, where you can already see those information.
But I see this isn't the first time this is suggested, so maybe I'll see what I can do!

Rino
December 5th, 2018, 13:45
I’ve already modified your extension. I’ll post it here so you can see

Rino
December 5th, 2018, 16:43
I've made an modified version where I fit in more information.

Screenshot:

.ext file:

Edit: removed zip file and replaced it with a working ext file

LordEntrails
December 6th, 2018, 00:41
25484 (It didn't work by chaning extension to .ext, but it does work by unziping it as a folder and place that in the extension folder).
You zipped the folder. Don't do that, only zip the contents of the folder. (I assume!)

Gilafron
December 8th, 2018, 16:18
Hi, the new extension from Rino looks good, but it doesn't have a .ext file like the original. How would I install it?

Rino
December 8th, 2018, 16:30
The folder in that zip file goes the same place you would put the ext file.

I’ll try to make a next file that works tomorrow if you don’t get the folder thing to work

Rino
December 8th, 2018, 22:08
Hi, the new extension from Rino looks good, but it doesn't have a .ext file like the original. How would I install it?

Se my post above (with the screenshot) for a working ext file

Rino
December 8th, 2018, 22:09
You zipped the folder. Don't do that, only zip the contents of the folder. (I assume!)

thx :) That did the trick :)

Claneidosyan
January 16th, 2019, 19:35
Thank you, Rino!
I updated the extension to a new version with compatibility fixes.
Did the same to your version and added it to the first post.

mordkhaan
May 14th, 2019, 07:43
Any chance of squeezing Hitpoints with Hit Dice and Death Saves in...
Then we would hardly need to ever go back to the MAIN tab ever!
kinda serious...

JayceStorm
December 20th, 2019, 01:43
Is there any chance to have a compatible version that works with either of the following:
Current HP: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44140-Current-HP-Extension-for-5E-Ruleset
5E Sanity extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38876-5E-Sanity-Extension-Help

I love all of the extensions but do not know if it is possible to edit or work with the developer to have them work together.

JayceStorm
March 19th, 2020, 18:48
Will this Extension be updated for FGU? I'm receiving the following error message: Extension Info Load (5E_Action_Abilities_1.2_wounds): '0' is an unexpected token. The expected token is '?>'. Line 1, position 20. I do NOT have any problems with the EXT running in FGC.

Claneidosyan
March 20th, 2020, 12:23
I plan to port it to FGU, since I use it in my games!
Right now I'm still using FG Classic, but thank you for the report, I'll look into it!

For now I'm not planning any other additions like sanity or death saves, sorry, but if during the FGU conversion I find the time to add something else, I'll try!

NuclearMonkey
March 21st, 2020, 16:06
It's an easy fix. Just delete an extra 0 on the first line after the version number. It reads 1.0"0. Delete the 0 after the quote.

JayceStorm
March 21st, 2020, 18:24
I'm assuming that is something the author needs to do and I cannot make the edit myself?

NuclearMonkey
March 21st, 2020, 19:22
You sure can! The ext file is an rar, so just unzip, use notepad+ to open and modify the extension xml file, recompress, and you’re good to go.

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2020, 20:26
You sure can! The ext file is an rar, so just unzip, use notepad+ to open and modify the extension xml file, recompress, and you’re good to go.
ZIP not RAR :)

And when you re-zip it, make sure you do not include the top level folder, only zip the contents of the folder. Then rename it from .zip to .ext

roastedbeans122
April 30th, 2020, 18:40
Will this work in FGU?

starthree16
May 5th, 2020, 01:38
This does not seem to work in Unity. Any plans to update it?

jrowsey1
June 16th, 2020, 23:15
I can confirm if you follow NuclearMonkey and LordEntrails instructions on post 42, 44 & 45 above, this extension will work in Unity.

AAWGAMES
June 16th, 2020, 23:44
I can confirm if you follow NuclearMonkey and LordEntrails instructions on post 42, 44 & 45 above, this extension will work in Unity.

Would love if you can help me out. I'm on a Mac and can't edit. Would be great if the author put the extension for FGC and another for FGU.

Curious-- Which version did you edit? The one that has HP, wounds, speed, etc. or the first one?

Thank you to the author for creating JUST the extension I've been searching for. NICE WORK!

jrowsey1
June 17th, 2020, 06:15
I was able to edit both the "Wounds" and the non Wounds versions. I just had to unzip the original extension and delete the the 0 after the 1.0"0 in the first line the re-zip the file.

On a Mac, You have to change the file name ending from ".ext" to ".zip" before unzipping. I used the Archive Utility program to unzip/rezip the file (right click and select Open With). Open the folder and the open the extension.xml file with the TextEdit app (right click, Open With) and make the change mention above, then select the files in the folder, but not the Top folder you created when you unzipped the files, right click and select Compress 3 files to zip them back. Change the file name and the ending of the file name from .zip back to .ext, and drop it in the extension file.

I know we connected on Discord, so just posting the Mac friendly steps for anyone else with the same questions.

ThingsCouldGetDicey
June 23rd, 2020, 13:30
hey im trying to use this. ive followed the instructions but it doesnt show on the extension list to choose from.

TXCBoy36
June 24th, 2020, 04:23
Hello, everyone!

For those who might not know the original extension, this basically adds a bar on the actions tab with ability checks, saves and initiative, so you can play with less window switching.

Screenshot:

This only changes the Actions tab of the character sheet, so it should be compatible with any extension that doesn't touch that.

The "wounds" variant is an edit of the extension made by Rino, with the addition of HP, Wounds, temp and speed. Now updated with more compatibility and smaller file size!

Update 1.1: added labels to checks and saves row. Screenshot: 22065
Update 1.2: removed useless code using ruleset layering. The extension should be more compatible now. Did the same thing with the HP version by Rino.

This is a nice addition....works great on my end!!!

Poe the Homunculus
July 14th, 2020, 05:39

I cannot find a notepad+ application to open the file. Can you help me out? Thanks,

BronzeDodger
July 14th, 2020, 05:48
Notepad++ is basically just "Notepad" on steroids (mainly about the line numbering for me) that makes it easier to read a text file.
You can download it for free (just google 'notepad++').

Poe the Homunculus
July 14th, 2020, 06:07
Notepad++ is basically just "Notepad" on steroids (mainly about the line numbering for me) that makes it easier to read a text file.
You can download it for free (just google 'notepad++').

This is what I get

damned
July 14th, 2020, 06:19
You omitted the first step... unzip the extension and then you can access the files with a text editor.

Poe the Homunculus
July 14th, 2020, 06:37
You omitted the first step... unzip the extension and then you can access the files with a text editor.

How do I do that? A .ext is not a .zip file

Griogre
July 14th, 2020, 06:43
Extension and Module files are just zip files in disguise. Change the .ext to .zip and unzip it. Note these are plain zip files not 7 zip or rar.

Poe the Homunculus
July 14th, 2020, 06:46
I do not know what 7 zip or rar is. I do not know how to change a ".ext" to a ".zip". Gone into properties and only find the "open with", but cannot change file types.

I know that Myth Drannor was destroyed by the Netherese.
I know that the TTAAB requires you to wait 90 days before your petition for publication can be filed, and a rule is not a statute.
I know that administrative hearings are not adverse in nature, and an affirmative defense must be proven.

Griogre
July 14th, 2020, 07:13
Sorry Poe, I didn't notice it was you. :) The Computer really is your friend, really... :D

Right click the file name and select "Rename" and the file name will be highlighted. Move the cursor to the end past .ext. Backspace deleting the up to the period then type: zip

Then hit enter. You will get a warning that changing the file extension can be bad. Hit OK and do it anyway.

That will change the file it from .ext to .zip

Then you can unzip the file.

damned
July 14th, 2020, 07:46
If you cant see the .ext extension you may have to enable it in your Windows Explorer options.

Poe the Homunculus
July 14th, 2020, 16:47
Sorry Poe, I didn't notice it was you. :) The Computer really is your friend, really... :D

Right click the file name and select "Rename" and the file name will be highlighted. Move the cursor to the end past .ext. Backspace deleting the up to the period then type: zip

Then hit enter. You will get a warning that changing the file extension can be bad. Hit OK and do it anyway.

That will change the file it from .ext to .zip

Then you can unzip the file.

I think I got it!

Thank you Griogre!! Learned something new :)

NuclearMonkey
July 14th, 2020, 18:15
Alternately, you can right-click the file, choose open with, select whatever decompression/compression program you use, and check the box always open with. This will not interfere with Fantasy Grounds ability to read the file and will allow you in the future to left click on .ext files to open them with your program in the future. You can do the same thing with .mod files.

I like using win-rar https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0 because it allows you to drag files in and out of the compressed wrapper and automatically recompresses. That way you don't have to monkey around with renaming files.

retyler
October 1st, 2020, 12:43
Are there plans to provide this extension for Fantasy Grounds Unity? We use this extremely useful extension in FGC, but when we added it to FGU it does not working.

jrowsey1
October 2nd, 2020, 03:03
See post 42,44 and 45 in this thread for instructions on how to update the extension for FGU.

retyler
October 4th, 2020, 10:14
Thank you jrowsey1. That helped. I did comb through in hopes to find something, but I missed those posts. :)

xAxTragicxEndx
January 15th, 2021, 19:16
Hey all. Just downloaded this extension today for a home game but I've used it in the past. Absolutely amazing extension for QoL improvment. It's great having all this on the actions page for newer players. I noticed that it hasn't been update for FGU yet so I followed the steps posted here to do it for myself and figured i might as well share.

I take no credit for the creation of this extension or the edit to enable FGU usage. All credit goes to the original peoples.

Extension Creator: Claneidosyan (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?44488-Claneidosyan)
FGU Edit Strategy provided by: NuclearMonkey (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?211334-NuclearMonkey) and LordEntrails (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34276-LordEntrails)

charmov
January 21st, 2021, 01:47
Hey all. Just downloaded this extension today for a home game but I've used it in the past. Absolutely amazing extension for QoL improvment. It's great having all this on the actions page for newer players. I noticed that it hasn't been update for FGU yet so I followed the steps posted here to do it for myself and figured i might as well share.

I take no credit for the creation of this extension or the edit to enable FGU usage. All credit goes to the original peoples.

Extension Creator: Claneidosyan (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?44488-Claneidosyan)
FGU Edit Strategy provided by: NuclearMonkey (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?211334-NuclearMonkey) and LordEntrails (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34276-LordEntrails)

Thanks to you and the original authors!

xAxTragicxEndx
January 21st, 2021, 01:48
Thanks to you and the original authors!

Anything to help the community. :D

mordkhaan
March 3rd, 2021, 22:54
Hey folks, notice this says its Action Abilities 1.2, yet extension xml file contains 3.3.3 which is mucking up version checkers :)
-<root logo="walrus.png" version="3.0">
<name>5E - Action Abilities 1.2 (with wounds)</name>
<version>3.3.3</version>