PDA

View Full Version : Considering Purchase, Remote Host?

Keht
December 6th, 2017, 21:20
I am considering in investing time and $$ to fantasy grounds but I need to know if I can remote host first.

So I know this might be surprising but I live in the woods where my internet connection is equivalent to what you'd probaly find in 90's. It's DSL, at times its slow and unrealible and sadly it's my only option.

That said I have an office in town with a great, strong, fast and reliable fiber connection.

As Fantasy Grounds is PTP I need to have a decent connection when GM'ing.

My question is this: Can I take a game setup from my home, plop it on a remote server, connect to it and run the game as if I was sitting at said remote server? Is this possible with FG and are there any licensing issues with trying to run GM in two locations??

I am sure I could figure out VNC and run it from the remote server but I would prefer the first option.

LordEntrails
December 6th, 2017, 21:26
Not without using a solution like VNC or TeamViewer.

Keht
December 6th, 2017, 21:27
Fair enough, thank you.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2017, 21:34
Fantasy Grounds has been around for over 10 years - so it has frequently been used over DSL connections.

The biggest upload is when players first connect and when you share large maps or new library modules.

Depending what you want to do, you can create a shared cache file for players and make that available for them to download beforehand - helping with the initial connection download.

You can also make sure that image file size (for images you add yourself) is below 1MB to make sharing a (fairly) quick process.

It won't be lightning fast, but with some understanding of how FG works (which we can help you with) you should be able to run a game OK from your home location.

Ken L
December 6th, 2017, 22:11
It's situations like this where a web-hosted VTT solution would be more valuable, but team-viewer or some kind of RDP/VNC is what you need to use FG. Personally however it's really a jury rig; each platform has its strengths.

damned
December 6th, 2017, 22:13
Most of us Australians only have DSL connections...

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2017, 22:32
Most of us Australians only have DSL connections...

Really? You are as far advanced as that? ;)

dulux-oz
December 7th, 2017, 01:03
Really? You are as far advanced as that? ;)

Yeah, but its a real battle keeping the ****ies (****atoos - birds) from eating the fibre (https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/11/03/****atoos-blamed-for-chewing-through-nbn-cables-across-australia_a_23266479/). :p

Edit: The damn auto-censor didn't like the word c-o-c-k (as in male bird), so the two words blanked out above are c-o-c-k-i-e-s and c-o-c-k-a-t-o-o-s :(

Callum
December 7th, 2017, 11:58
Hah! What a ****-up!