PDA

View Full Version : CoC 7th Ed. - Horror on the Orient Express

Shadowlarke
December 5th, 2017, 15:10
Hey folks,

I am looking at starting my first ever CoC campaign here in Pittsburgh and was wondering if anyone had pulled in the material from the Kickstarter: Horror on the Orient Express? I am new to both FG and CoC and would entertain constructive advice.

Thanks all!

-Larke

NotRussellCrowe
December 5th, 2017, 19:50
Hi, Shadowlarke, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

I haven't done so yet but HotOE is on my todo list to run with my Cthulhu group. What I plan to do is just copy images and create stat blocks for NPCs, maybe enter some text to display to the players, but otherwise just run/read from the PDFs on a second monitor. I do not have the time or desire to enter all the books into Fantasy Grounds.

Hope that answers your question, if not let us know!

Happy gaming!

Kelly

ianmward
December 6th, 2017, 06:18
The official module(s) is on the conversion list, but will take a while to come through.

spite
December 6th, 2017, 07:29
Love knowing that it's on the list, I might wait for it to come out before running it, since I'll likely be using Fantasy Grounds to play it.

Sjelsyk
December 6th, 2017, 09:47
I second NotRussellCrowe advice. This is the way I've been running scenarios/campaigns that haven't been added to FG yet, and it's never been any issues with that. It's rather quick to add images and NPCs.

It's however great to know that it's on the "todo" list of things to come.

NotRussellCrowe
December 6th, 2017, 17:11
The official module(s) is on the conversion list, but will take a while to come through.

Awesome. I wouldn't have expected it to come to FG since they have just recently discontinued the physical product. Good luck to the person who converts it, that's a lot of content!!

Trenloe
December 6th, 2017, 17:19
Awesome. I wouldn't have expected it to come to FG since they have just recently discontinued the physical product.
The electronic version is still available, so it's not really a discontinued product (I know you said "physical" in your comment) - it's just that Chaosium won't reprint a physical version of the product in the current form.

If keepers are running on FG do they really need the physical product? It's nice for reading away from the game, but not a requirement...

NotRussellCrowe
December 6th, 2017, 17:38
The electronic version is still available, so it's not really a discontinued product (I know you said "physical" in your comment) - it's just that Chaosium won't reprint a physical version of the product in the current form.

If keepers are running on FG do they really need the physical product? It's nice for reading away from the game, but not a requirement...

You are correct about that, Trenloe, I think I was insinuating since it's not in print it's not available, which is obviously incorrect as it is clearly available from their site and DriveThruRPG (or one of their sites). I'm just biased towards physical products so sometimes that bias comes through.

For myself I prefer to read from a physical product; I have trouble reading for long periods of time when viewing on a screen. Loving the Bits & Mortar program as I can get both for the same price. One day I'm sure I'll switch completely digital, but today is not that day.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2017, 17:57
For myself I prefer to read from a physical product; I have trouble reading for long periods of time when viewing on a screen.
Yeah, me too.

I noticed that the digital version of Horror comes with Kindle files for the main books - makes it a little bit easier to view away from the computer screen - but not completely away from a screen!

bozo666999
July 20th, 2018, 13:39
Hey, just one curious question.

Is there a release date set? Been playing the physical version but like to launch a online version :D

damned
July 21st, 2018, 02:31
Hey, just one curious question.

Is there a release date set? Been playing the physical version but like to launch a online version :D

Im up to book 3.. but no date yet... it will be some time yet...

bozo666999
July 25th, 2018, 16:23
Great to hear your working on it, don't lose to much sanity ;) will be waiting for the finished product!

LightBringer
March 13th, 2019, 04:47
Any update on this folks? ;)

damned
March 13th, 2019, 05:47
Im sorry guys - I have been waylaid with other projects.

I might discuss with Doug and Ian about whether we could/should release in parts and that way people can start...

LightBringer
March 13th, 2019, 10:15

I might discuss with Doug and Ian about whether we could/should release in parts and that way people can start...

Thanks! That would be pretty effective, the adventure is simply epic.

NotRussellCrowe
March 13th, 2019, 19:10

Nothing to be sorry about. We can always import our own assets into FG and run without any official module, but having someone already create all the stat blocks and images would definitely save me some time and effort so I'm in if you decide to release it in chunks. It's not hard creating all that but some of the bigger chapters can take a few hours to get it all in there, at least it does for me.

iconnors
November 17th, 2019, 23:58
Not to resurrect the dead here, but has anyone taken over this project? I'm currently running the campaign half through the epub and half through FG and its all a big mess. I'd love for this to be a thing that's released eventually, and maybe I'd even be able to help even though I am very new at FG

damned
November 18th, 2019, 01:09
Hey iconnors we are slowly pluggin away at it.
I too think it is presented/formatted awfully :(

iconnors
November 18th, 2019, 01:11
I have some time, though not a lot of knowledge of how FG works, let me know if there is anything I can do to assist!

merlin19y
March 11th, 2020, 16:27
I was just wondering the status on this? I'm running this now and it would be nice to have either in chunks or a status on were we are at.

I've converted most of the images and stat blocks from book 2, the trouble Ive had is the map's as the images in the books are broken up into multiple image files and not sure how to combine them into a single image.

It's a lot of work so appreciate all the work done towards getting this onto fantasy grounds.

NotRussellCrowe
March 11th, 2020, 16:33
the trouble Ive had is the map's as the images in the books are broken up into multiple image files and not sure how to combine them into a single image. .

Open the PDF in GIMP and find the layer for the map (you can just open a small subset of the pages to make things easier to find). Then just make a selection and copy that into a new image and then export.

Doing it this way converts the PDF to an image with each page being on its own layer, so you hide the top most layer/page when you are done with it and move your way down the stack. This is how I'm doing it for my game of Horror on the Orient Express. And actually for anything where I'm entering the info from PDF.

TheNoseGoes
May 5th, 2020, 22:50
I am also interested in a status update or any plans to release the parts that are finished. I have the physical copies now, but with covid I'm looking to move into a virtual format.

dragonheels
May 6th, 2020, 08:21
Hello, I've been DMing HotOE for almost 3,5 years now. Yesterday was the 85th play session. My players are have just arrived in Paris on their way back to London. We're almost finished. I suppose it will end in maybe 3 or 4 sessions.
I do not have the PDF. I have the physical books i French. What I usually did before a session is scanning (sometimes with my phone) the handouts and the different pics I could show my players. Then I created the NPCs, (knowing that if I do not have the time, I can create them on the fly in the CT to track their HP and turn and manage the rest manually. Very simple) all in a module.
If you have the PDFs, it will be easier for you to get the pics in the program. For the rest, it's a question of how you feel it. But never worry if you didn't get ll the info on the program. It won't prevent you from playing and having fun.