PDA

View Full Version : Manual Dice Entry - Show the shadow

Nalfien
December 4th, 2017, 04:39
I'd like to see that when a manual dice entry is used that it throws the appropriate shadows of dice in the chat window for the players.

Trenloe
December 4th, 2017, 04:53
Please add to the FG wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

damned
December 4th, 2017, 10:00
No dice are thrown so no shadows...

Bidmaron
December 4th, 2017, 10:04
I think he knows that. He just wants for manual rolls to have an option that the players will see dice shadows. I guess he doesn't want the players to know when he has shifted to fudging?

Erin Righ
December 4th, 2017, 14:22
I think he knows that. He just wants for manual rolls to have an option that the players will see dice shadows. I guess he doesn't want the players to know when he has shifted to fudging?

Makes sense to me. I once had a DM that was so out to get me that he didn't even roll a die before telling me I failed, it would've been nice for the illusion

LordEntrails
December 4th, 2017, 16:22
Makes sense to me. I once had a DM that was so out to get me that he didn't even roll a die before telling me I failed, it would've been nice for the illusion
You're wrong Erin, you didn't make your intuition check so you only thought he was out to get you!

JohnD
December 4th, 2017, 17:02
I'd like to see that when a manual dice entry is used that it throws the appropriate shadows of dice in the chat window for the players.

Great idea. I could have used this last Saturday evening.

Nylanfs
December 4th, 2017, 17:14
Can't you just drop dice on the chat and then ignore the value?

Trenloe
December 4th, 2017, 17:25
Can't you just drop dice on the chat and then ignore the value?
Nope - because with manual dice rolls enabled any dice rolls will appear in the manual dice window.

Nalfien
December 5th, 2017, 15:56
So far what I plan on doing to remedy this is that when I see a roll I don't like, I will turn on the feature for manually rolling it and then do it. The shadows would have been seen for the first roll. The time it takes for me to turn on the feature and flub a roll will look suspicious though. Then I'll have to turn it off because I extremely rarely ever need to use this feature.

LordEntrails
December 5th, 2017, 16:00
So far what I plan on doing to remedy this is that when I see a roll I don't like, I will turn on the feature for manually rolling it and then do it. The shadows would have been seen for the first roll. The time it takes for me to turn on the feature and flub a roll will look suspicious though. Then I'll have to turn it off because I extremely rarely ever need to use this feature.
It sounds like you have Show GM Rolls set to Off, so the players only see the die rolls and they don't know if you hit or miss. Even though FG knows and you know. If you want it to be a hit, just roll damage, if you want it to be a miss don't roll damage.

Or maybe it's a combination of setting needed, but I know in the past (before I turned on Show Rolls) that my players never knew if I hit or missed. Or am I mistaken?

HAve you tried starting a second instance to see what they see? (I haven't for this issue).

Nalfien
December 6th, 2017, 12:58
Yes I've started a second instance to test what they see. I do fake a miss some rare times, but to make it a little more fair to the rules I like to sometimes manually add damage and there's quite a bit of damage type text that goes along with that. Using the manual dice entry for damage really has value. I just wish it was quicker to do and toggle on and off. The shadow is a dead give away something was fake, but dragging a damage twice and rolling one then manually entering it the second time is a good practice. This stuff could be better.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2017, 16:52
This stuff could be better.
Yep, I agree. The manual dice functionality was only recently added to FG, so it can definitely be refined.

Have you added your request to the wishlist I linked in post #2? This is the main areas that the developers use to brain-storm, and prioritise, new features. When you add it, please provide a link here so others interested in this feature can vote. Thanks.

Nalfien
December 6th, 2017, 21:09
Yes, thank you very much!

Trenloe
December 6th, 2017, 21:12
Could you share a link to the wishlist you created please? This will allow others reading this thread to vote for it. Thanks.

JohnD
December 7th, 2017, 01:34
It's here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=115226

Voted.

Bonkon
April 20th, 2018, 22:43
Good Day All :)
I voted for this too, as I am running my first campaign and the party was getting whopped up on pretty bad due to the RNG being against them and for me :)
I shifted to manual rolls, not realizing they did not show a die, and kept the party going by the skin of their teeth :D
Luckily nobody seemed to notice that there were no dice rolled on my side for attacks or damage.