PDA

View Full Version : Automation in the Pathfinder ruleset?

ctcharger
December 2nd, 2017, 14:07
Probably asking a biased crowd :D but I am thinking about diving into Pathfinder on FG. I really liked the automation in the 5E ruleset on FG and for the price I will have to pay to get into it, I would to at least ask how good the automation is for Pathfinder on FG.

PC creation? NPC creation?
Combat? (effects, feats, conditions, spells and saving throws)
can it do the sword vs skeleton effect for example?
Skill checks? (not sure if that makes sense)

I bought the pocket editions of the rules but it appears I need to buy the hard backs now too if I take the plunge. :(

Erin Righ
December 2nd, 2017, 18:28
Automation is fairly good, not as good as 5E but it is also newer on FG

ctcharger
December 2nd, 2017, 20:22
OK thanks. I add some skeletons to the basic rules and they resisted the sword I had a guy using, that was good. Probably enough in there to be fine for now with more coming which would be nice. I will work with the basic for a while to get handle on it.

LordEntrails
December 3rd, 2017, 00:29
My understanding is if you are using the official FG modules, then you will have a similar level of automation in things like; drag & drop, and core effects. Things from community modules and effects that don't come from one of the as yet converted official sources are probably not there yet.

ctcharger
December 3rd, 2017, 00:58
OK thanks. I will watch some videos about Pathfinder on FG and it should give me an idea of how automated it is.

Talyn
December 3rd, 2017, 01:27
LordEntrails is correct. The automation is built into the ruleset, but only the official Paizo DLC actually has the data built for it. The SRD modules have not been updated for the new features yet, and most of the community modules on the forums are a year or more old, when the features didn't even exist.

It's perfectly playable without it -- my PFS GM a couple months ago was still using the SRD modules -- but the Paizo stuff sure makes it nice. Someday the SRD will get updated, I'm sure. I'd do it myself but I've stacked my queue so high already I need to focus on finishing projects instead of just adding more. :)

ctcharger
December 3rd, 2017, 02:00
Thanks for the advice, I did watch a video and it looks pretty good. I think I will pick it up but I am having fun with the free stuff so not in that big of a hurry.

Bidmaron
December 3rd, 2017, 02:05
Also, there is no item forge in PF like there is in 5e.

ctcharger
December 3rd, 2017, 13:41
Well I bought it so I am all in now! :)

Bidmaron
December 3rd, 2017, 14:49
ctcharger, I hope you are as thrilled with PF as am I. The volume of material you can use is really overwhelming, as all of the old WOTC stuff for 3.5 can be used with very little effort, and even the old 3.0 edition material can work almost as easily. You can purchase this old material on DriveThruRPG, and there is also a lot of official PF material, with more coming all the time.

There is no DMGuild for PF, but Paizo has permitted folks to share the Pathfinder Society material for free as a kind of relaxation of their Community rules. You can find a lot of that on the PFS boards of this forum.

The item forge might one day come to PF as well. SW is working to backfit more automation onto the PF ruleset.

Talyn
December 3rd, 2017, 23:47
Correct, if you do PFS the official VTT policy is that GMs are allowed to share their content (NPCs, encounters, etc. already built) privately until that adventure arrives in the store for the VTT (FG Store for us), at which point the sharing becomes illegal.

So far I've been fine with not having the automation. Where I notice it is using the SRD to make a character because the character sheet has fields to accommodate the automation scripts, and those will be left blank because the SRD doesn't have the data to go in those new fields. It's no big deal, it just could make you think something is wrong, when it's really fine. I own the Paizo DLC so I can make my characters with all the official data and the scripts help out and make it all lovely. Hopefully more of the PFS GMs will follow suit someday.

ctcharger
December 4th, 2017, 02:05
There is a one piece of automation that I can't find or remember where I saw it was the tossing of the damage die if the attack hit. That was really nice, saves me from using a quick slot for the damage roll.

Trenloe
December 4th, 2017, 02:23
There is a one piece of automation that I can't find or remember where I saw it was the tossing of the damage die if the attack hit. That was really nice, saves me from using a quick slot for the damage roll.
There is no such automation. Rolling attack and damage are two separate actions - by design.

ctcharger
December 4th, 2017, 10:40
OK thanks, that may be why I can't remember where I saw it.

Nylanfs
December 4th, 2017, 17:19
I'll also note that for PF you can import a specific PCGen output for the player characters, Note: Spellcasters have to re-create their memorized spells though.

swbuza
December 4th, 2017, 20:27
LordEntrails is correct. The automation is built into the ruleset, but only the official Paizo DLC actually has the data built for it. The SRD modules have not been updated for the new features yet, and most of the community modules on the forums are a year or more old, when the features didn't even exist.

My Improved SRD rules posted in the last couple of weeks are basically the SRD modules with those features added.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41243-PF-Improved-Basic-Rules

Talyn
December 4th, 2017, 20:32
Did you consider sending them to SmiteWorks? If it meets all the criteria, they could use it as the official SRD modules and not have to wait for one of us clowns to volunteer to do it. :)

swbuza
December 4th, 2017, 20:41
I figured SmiteWorks would pick them up and use them if they found them useful. Really was hoping to get some feedback to see if anyone found broken stuff.

Talyn
December 4th, 2017, 20:43
Nah they most likely won't even notice. I'd suggest an email letting them know it's been done and to check it out. That is if you're interested in having that be the official SRD.

Callum
December 5th, 2017, 11:10
Did you consider sending them to SmiteWorks? If it meets all the criteria, they could use it as the official SRD modules and not have to wait for one of clowns to volunteer to do it.

Don't let the clowns do it! They'll put funny noses and big shoes on it...

Feyjarl
February 12th, 2018, 23:49
It’s good as far as it goes but there are things that don’t work.

My group sat down to play last week and found that there was no mechanic in the game for Rage; one of a Barbarian’s major mechanics.

Seems odd to me that FG get the rights to put Pathfinder OFFICIALLY into their game, and one of the characters doesn’t work as it should.

We’re now having to use FG just for the maps but will probably transfer to roll20 as that’s free for the maps and movement.

It’s really sad, we play Savage Worlds on FG and it works perfectly, but alas, Pathfinder does not. I wish I’d known before buying the RotR AP.

LordEntrails
February 12th, 2018, 23:59
Welcome Feyjarl. Sorry you seem disappointed.

Have you looked into creating an effect for Rage? Most abilities don't automatically create appropriate actions and effects, but here on the community people have generally documented everything you need to get the automation you're interested in. But, since PF is new, it might not yet have all the community resources you're looking for (yet).

Have you checked out the wiki on effects? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects

Trenloe
February 13th, 2018, 00:04
But, since PF is new, it might not yet have all the community resources you're looking for (yet).
The official Paizo support is new, but the PF ruleset certainly isn't.

There are a lot of community resources already available: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

Lots of effects listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library

LordEntrails
February 13th, 2018, 01:29
The official Paizo support is new, but the PF ruleset certainly isn't.

There are a lot of community resources already available: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

Lots of effects listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library
Clarified and corrected again! *G*