PDA

View Full Version : RPG Game Mechanic Survey

dulux-oz
November 29th, 2017, 10:29
Hi Everyone,

To help out the UGE-RPG Project, but primarily for my own "geeky-ness", I'd like to ask everyone to help out with collecting a list of all of the RPG Game Mechanics for games you have played.

Yes, I know that there are a couple of these types of list buried out there on the Internet, and yes, I realise damned has a list for MoreCore (and I hope he'll contribute here) but surely there are more.

I've made a start below and I'll be adding as I go, so if you'd like to help out then post here and I'll add your contribution (and/or correction) to this 1st post.

Cheers

RPG Game Mechanics

D&D (Ability Scores)
Roll 4d6 and discard the lowest

D&D (3E+)
Roll 1d20 plus Modifiers and roll equal to or above a Target Number

D&D (THAC0)
Roll 1d20 plus Modifiers plus AC and roll equal to or above a Target Number (Edit: Corrected formula)

Deadlands (Classic)
Roll a set of Pool Dice equal to the Attribute (MdN), Explode each Die on the maximum, keep the highest Die, roll equal to or above a Target Number (plus Modifers) and report Success and the number of Raises, where a Raise is when the roll exceeds the Target Number by a multiple of 5 eg Highest Die Result = 15, Target Number = 3, therefore a Success and 2 Raises

SR3
Roll a set of d6 Pool Dice equal to the Skill plus Modifiers, Explode each Die on the maximum, and roll equal to or above a Target Number (plus Modifers) and report Success ie the number of Die that rolled better than the Target Number

Star Frontiers
Roll d% plus Modifiers and roll equal to or under the Skill (Target Number)

StarWars (d6)
Roll Attribute (Nd6+A) plus Modifiers and roll equal to or over a Target Number

Traveller
Roll 2d6 plus Modifiers and roll equal to or over a Target Number

damned
November 29th, 2017, 10:49
RPG Game Mechanics

Powered by the Apocalype
Roll 2d6 plus modifiers. 10+ you get what you want. 7-9 you mostly get what you want but there is some complication or cost. 6 or less and things turn out badly.

Call of Cthulhu
Roll %dice equal to or under your skill. Possible to extreme and critical success/failure. Can also push the roll (re-roll) at the risk of more severe consequences for failure. Can also spend luck (from a pool that is rarely replenished) to improve the dice result.

viresanimi
November 29th, 2017, 13:42
Chronicles of Darkness: Build a dicepool of d10's. Modified by GM. If you succeed, you succeed. Its as great as it is simple.

Marvel Heroic RP: Rolls are almost inexplainable to most, but once you get this complicated system, you're in for the best fights ever. Basically you build a dicepool and decide which dice to use (and for what), to help you succeed.

Castle Falkenstein: The mere mention of "dice" should land you in trouble or brand you as the "riff-raff". This game uses cards in lieu of dice and knowing your skills and having cards on your hand, you know what you will be able to do well and tailor your gameplay to use what you have. This helps trying to solve problems in non-traditional ways.
(( Dying for cards to be in FG Unity, so I can get to play this some more ))

Vires Animi

Black Hammer
November 29th, 2017, 23:52
Blades in the Dark: Pool of d6s based on skill and modifiers. Keep the single highest result: 1-3 is failure with consequences, 4-5 is success with consequences, and 6 is complete success. Multiple 6s is a critical success. If the starting pool is 0 dice, then roll 2d6 and drop the higher.

Shadow of the Demon Lord: 1d20 modified by Boons or Banes. Boons grant extra d6s to the roll, the highest of which are added to the 1d20 roll. Banes grant extra d6s, the highest of which is subtracted from the roll. Boons and Banes cancel out before the roll, so if you had 3 Boons and 2 Banes, you'd roll your 1d20+1d6.

Iron Kingdoms/Unleashed: 2d6 against target number. Positive bonuses from skills, and extra d6s can be added from abilities or magic. Most bonus dice are called Boosts, and you can only have one per roll. So no matter how many ways you have of boosting a roll, you only get one extra die from those. A few rarer bonuses are not boosts, and these do stack with boosts for occasional 4d6 rolls.

Legend of the Five Rings: Simple version is that you roll one number of 10s and you keep a second number of (usually) the highest results. Natural 10s explode. So if you're rolling damage for a wakizashi as a strength 3 character, you roll 5k2: roll five d10, keep the two highest and add them together.

TORG: Haha, no.

darrenan
November 30th, 2017, 01:58
Fate/Diaspora/Dresden: Six-sided Fate dice: 2 sides blank, 2 sides plus, 2 sides minus. Roll and sum up +'s and subtract -'s
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire: Custom six, eight, ten and twelve sides dice with funky symbols on them that all do different things.

sjard
November 30th, 2017, 21:58
GURPS: 3d6 equal to or less than Skill level +/- modifiers (ie modifiers apply to skill level not die roll).

Cortex Classic: Attribute (1dN) + Skill (1dN) (high skill/attribute can get to 1dN+1dN plus the skill/attribute), against target number.

Cortex Plus: as above, only you can end up with a much larger dice pool due to whatever they call (blanking at the moment) advantages or disadvantages, take the best 2.

Qin: Yin Yang dice, 2d10, each of a different color, subtract the lower die result from the higher die result, add to skill/attribute vs target number.

dulux-oz
December 1st, 2017, 01:32
Alternity: Roll 1d20 + Situation Die plus Modifiers equal to or above a Target Number. Situation Die can be 1d4 through to 1d20, then 2d20, 3d20, etc.

Thanks to everyone so far - let's keep 'em coming, folks! :)

sjard
December 1st, 2017, 02:13
AGE system (Fantasy Age, Dragon Age RPG, etc): uses a 3d6 + ability + mods vs Target Number. 2 of the dice are the same color, the third is different. If the two same colored dice come up with the same number, the different colored die grants whatever number it shows in Stunt Points. Not entirely sure how the stunting works but that's not the point.

In Nomine: Also uses 3d6, 2 same color, 1 different, in what they call the d666 rolls. It is basically 2d6 roll low under Target Number, with the different color die determining degree of success or failure. If all three dice result in a 1,1,1, or a 6,6,6, an Intervention has occurred. This will be good or bad depending on which side of the great struggle the character rolling it is on. 1,1,1, is Divine Intervention, and 6,6,6, is Infernal Intervention. So Divine is good if you are playing an Angel, but bad if you are playing a Demon, and vice versa.

sjard
December 1st, 2017, 02:24
D&D (THAC0)
Roll 1d20 plus Modifiers minus AC and roll equal to or above a Target Number

Minor quibble, this should be 1d20 plus modifiers equal to or above a Target Number determined by THAC0 minus AC

dulux-oz
December 1st, 2017, 02:59
Minor quibble, this should be 1d20 plus modifiers equal to or above a Target Number determined by THAC0 minus AC

True, but addition is commutative (a = b+c <=> a-c = b), so its the same thing - and easier to write AND understand (IMNSHO) :)

sjard
December 1st, 2017, 03:23
True, but addition is commutative (a = b+c <=> a-c = b), so its the same thing - and easier to write AND understand (IMNSHO) :)

Edit 2: Okay, I think I need to make this make sense to myself more than anything. Your method is Die Roll (call it 12) plus Mod (call it +4) minus AC (call it 5) = 11 vs. TN. Great. But what is the Target Number? The order I gave, gives the value of TN. TN = THAC0 (1st level 20) - 5 = 15, or 12+4 = 16 vs TN 15. It isn't an issue of addition is commutative, rather it's a two unrelated equations being compared to see which is greater.

In other words, no, in this case it isn't commutative because it's (a+b = c ≥ f = d-e).

Original: Sure, but the point was that you're missing a step, since A + B - C = D ≥ TN, in this case, but you can't compare D to TN without first determining Y (THAC0) - D = TN.

Or, what I'm trying to say in game terms is d20 result + mod - AC = total ≥ TN = THACO - AC. Blah, maths classes were a long time ago for this. I think what I'm trying to say is that you can't get a result that needs to be equal to or greater than a Target Number that is determined by a different formula.

The way you put it sure, you'd know the result, but still not know the target number.

Edit: Must be getting late, I realize I'm starting to be redundant in different wordings.

dulux-oz
December 1st, 2017, 04:28
Edit 2: Okay, I think I need to make this make sense to myself more than anything. Your method is Die Roll (call it 12) plus Mod (call it +4) minus AC (call it 5) = 11 vs. TN. Great. But what is the Target Number? The order I gave, gives the value of TN. TN = THAC0 (1st level 20) - 5 = 15, or 12+4 = 16 vs TN 15. It isn't an issue of addition is commutative, rather it's a two unrelated equations being compared to see which is greater.

Original: Sure, but the point was that you're missing a step, since A + B - C = D ≥ TN, in this case, but you can't compare D to TN without first determining Y (THAC0) - D = TN.

Or, what I'm trying to say in game terms is d20 result + mod - AC = total ≥ TN = THACO - AC. Blah, maths classes were a long time ago for this. I think what I'm trying to say is that you can't get a result that needs to be equal to or greater than a Target Number that is determined by a different formula.

The way you put it sure, you'd know the result, but still not know the target number.

Edit: Must be getting late, I realize I'm starting to be redundant in different wordings.

OK, so I thought it was obvious (but maybe not): TN is the THAC0 (in both formulas, because both formulas are the same formula, just rearranged.

As you expressed it: (M is Modifiers)
1d20 + M >= THAC0-AC - which rearranged is
1d20 + M + AC >= THAC0 - which is how I expressed it - BUT yes, I did have the sign of the AC-term wrong - stupid me letting that typo past proof-reading (and that's what was almost certainly tripping you up) :)

And using your figures:
12+4 >= 20-5 == 16 >= 15 (a hit by a single point) - which rearranged is
12+4+5 >= 20 == 21 >= 20 (also a hit by a single point)

Does that make sense now (especially now that I've fixed up the sign of the AC-term)? :)

sjard
December 1st, 2017, 04:41
Yeah, the function change, plus the spelling out that THAC0 = TN helps. I kept sitting there going "Something isn't right here, but I can't quite put my finger on it."

dulux-oz
December 1st, 2017, 04:55
Yeah, the function change, plus the spelling out that THAC0 = TN helps. I kept sitting there going "Something isn't right here, but I can't quite put my finger on it."

It's all good - I'm just sorry I stuffed it up in the first place - nice catch! :)

Majyk
December 10th, 2017, 16:14
RPG Game Mechanics

Rolemaster
Roll d100% and add Total Skill Bonus=Rank+Stat bonii. 101+ and you succeed. Later versions need 111+. Special and zany events occur on natural '66' and '00' results! Critical tables to add even more flavour to combat results, whether Spell or Arms!