PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on packs vs imported content and FG features

paragoniq
November 27th, 2017, 20:54
Context

First-timer here (using FG).

My friends and I wanna run a virtual campaign and think FG is the way to go, but we're a bit confused as to which packs would be best to get – if any.

We don't wanna go overboard spending (i.e. spend as little as possible) but are open to buying certain packs if the experience (and ease) is significantly better.

We're inclined to run 5ed, but Pathfinder is also an option.

We have PH, DMG and MM for 5ed as PDFs, as well as PFs CRB.

Tried looking up these answers online, but di

Questions

- What is "included" in just purchasing the Ultimate sub? The basic d20srd rules (or any other game system open-sourced rules)?
- I get that those are the bare rules, but are they enough to get the "full" (e.g. all options) experience (i.e. have read that the open sourced rules don't include certain feats, backgrounds, etc)?

- I'm aware that the Core Class pack for 5ed is basically the 5ed PH, but what can it allow me to do? Just character creation and visual content?
- Would it be just the same if I entered classes, races, etc into FG manually?
- Is there a character generator that can be used with imported or parsed classes/content?
- Do all the GM tools in FG work for both imported/custom content and official content?
- What about the Monster pack – same applies?

- Can I import my PDFs into FG and use/reference them in game (e.g.all players can interact with the PDF or get copies)?
- Is this good enough, or do the packs offer a substantial increase in experience? Why?

- Does FG offer a quick, rule lookup feature that works well with the purchased, official modules?
- E.g. wanna look up a specific rule, character option, etc. – can I just start searching really easily and bring up relevant results?
- Does it divide the content nicely in a way that manual lookup isn't horrible?
- If no, then can I get the same effect if I just import the PDFs and searched them (if it's even possible)?
- I'm guessing there's better integration/gameplay experience cause you can interact with the packs (e.g. drag an item to a player)?

- Generally speaking, for a homebrewed campaign, is it cheaper to run 5ed or PF – taking into account official packs/modules?

I get that it's a lot of questions, but any answers will greatly help in deciding what to do, run, purchase or even if FG is the right platform!

Any extra clarification is welcomed.

Thanks!

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2017, 21:12
Welcome to FG and the forums :)

This thread is what you are looking for; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

The give you short answers to you questions;

The standard and ultimate license include the 5E SRD and the 5E Basic Rules. they contain som, but not all, of the content of the PHB.
The Complete Core Class Pack contains the entire PHB including a digital book (NOT pdf) version called the Reference Manual that you can read if you want plus all of the content is database function( tables and lists etc).

The SRD,Basic Rules, and PHB allow you to drag and drop during character creation with most things auto-populating on the character sheet, automatic parsing of many spells into actions and effects, etc.

You can enter everything manually, either on the character sheet and by building your own actions and effects, or you can build your own PHB by manually creating a module (lots of time involved in this and most people think it's worth the cost to buy the official version).

FG does not use portable document format. So their is no simple import, but you can use copy/paste to bring in parts of text (or pdf) into FG. Their used to be a program called Par5E that would help with this but it is no longer maintained or distributed.

Check out the videos from the Help section of the webpage or from links in the forums, you will see how search is done, drag and drop, play and all that.

As for 5E vs PF... I don't know if you can say one is cheaper than the other. Because it depends on what you buy. If you only buy the ultimate license, then the cost is the same. 5E has all official content in FG. PF does not because the license is relatively new and their is a huge amount of content to convert (though some of that is available as community content, though most of it does not have the newer capabilities such as drag and drop).

If you are still in doubt, get a 30 day ultimate subscription with no additional content and see how it works for you.

Bidmaron
November 27th, 2017, 21:56
One advantage of PF is you get the pdf with your purchase. While minty has made a search extension that does well with modules, it is still easier and faster in most cases just to search the pdf.

Another possible advantage is that due to its longevity, PF has much more material once it is converted.

As lord mentioned, the ruleset automation still lags 5e though.

Callum
November 27th, 2017, 22:52
- Generally speaking, for a homebrewed campaign, is it cheaper to run 5ed or PF – taking into account official packs/modules?

You get all of the Pathfinder core rules (because these were released under the SRD) included with any purchase of the software (Standard or Ultimate), whereas you only get a subset of the 5E core rules. However, you don't get drag-and-drop character building and levelling up, or any of the artwork. If you're happy with that (which is the way I've been using FG for years, running multiple campaigns), then you don't need to buy anything else, as you're running a homebrewed campaign. You should take a look at some of the official Smiteworks videos to see the extra functionality of the full official rulebooks, to work out if that's something you want.

damned
November 27th, 2017, 23:16
There are no legal PDF copies of any Wizards 5e material.