PDA

View Full Version : Managing Campaign Files

Morfedel
November 27th, 2017, 15:03
So, two questions:

1. I have a job interview in another city on a day I need to run my campaign. Thing is, I'll have nothing to do during the evening, so I'd still like to run. I'm not entirely sure about the game file structure, although I can make some guesses, but rather than fool around with it, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows for sure: how do I go about getting all the necessary files for my campaign from one computer to another/my laptop? Do I need to manually move everything, or is there some kind of export/import that makes it easier, or.... ?

2. How do I go about removing campaigns from my campaign list? I have several I created as experiments I dont need. I don't see a delete campaign option, so I'm assuming I'll have to manually delete them?

Thanks in advance!

James

Andraax
November 27th, 2017, 15:32
Campaigns are stored as folders in the campaigns folder of your data directory. To remove them, just delete the folder. To move them, just copy the folder. When moving, make sure you also move any downloaded community content that they are using (purchased content should download again on the new computer with an update).

Talyn
November 27th, 2017, 16:45
I just copy the /campaigns/<my campaign>/ folder to a USB stick, along with any custom extensions and non-store modules (if any) to a USB stick, then copy them back to my laptop.

One key thing: if you're in a hotel, you will likely run into problems with the port forwarding unless you use a VPN that allows port forwarding.

Myrdin Potter
November 27th, 2017, 18:51
You are almost certainly to run into port forwarding issues when at a hotel, as Talyn mentioned. Moving the campaign files is easy. If you want quick access to that directory, when you first start up FG there is a file folder icon in the top right corner. Click it and the directory will open. Just copy the campaign folder onto a usb stick or into cloud storage (not not actually run the game from cloud storage, copy the files locally or risk corruption). Install FG onto your laptop, make sure your license key is entered and do the same click the folder icon and copy. When you are back home, just copy the folder back to your main PC and keep going.

The suggested VPN solution is PureVPN with the dedicated IP option:

https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

That link is an affiliate link, or you can just go to www.purevpn.com. They are having a cyber Monday sale with a pretty good discount right now and their service works on iPhones and Android as well. Get the VPN and the dedicated IP option and you are ready to play pretty much anywhere when traveling.

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2017, 19:04
If its a one time thing and you don't mind having to have your players install something, you can use Hamachi for free. Thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi