PDA

View Full Version : Read only...

LDedric
November 26th, 2017, 18:33
Why is nearly everything read only?
Most of the NPC's in sw deluxe and deadlands have no gear and you can't add any to them.
Do i have to create a new list of all the npc's that are in the game and "not available for use" just so that I can edit them to add gear and fix powers?

This is the 5th time I've bought the Delux and deadlands stuff, 2 sets of hardcover books, 2 pdf's and now a fantasy grounds "special" pdf.
I was kinda hoping it would work so I could get a game up and running in a few days not a few weeks.

Talyn
November 26th, 2017, 18:50
For "reference modules" (ie. the rulebooks and settings) we're required to set them read-only. Adventures on the other hand, are required to be editable.

If you're making your own adventure or your own encounters, drag the NPC, Item, whatever into the appropriate list window to make an editable copy of it, and use the copy in your encounters, parcels, etc. It will show in the (New) group by default for easier viewing, or create your own group to customize your view.

LDedric
November 26th, 2017, 19:05
Since I'm still figuring this out, I'm going to need an example of how to do it.

I'm using a soldier from deadlands which has no default gear.
I drag it to the encounters, how do I add an item or power to it from there?

Also can I group mooks so that all my mooks go on the same card?

How do I get the mini character screen?

How do I get access to the GM wildcards bennies to soak damage and reroll?

Talyn
November 26th, 2017, 19:57
The mini-sheet is located on the Skills tab of the character sheet, as shown here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21592&stc=1&d=1511725817

For your Deadlands Soldier example, here I brought up the NPC Master Index (click the 'NPC' button on the sidebar) then selected the "DLR Marshall's Handbook" group from the dropdown menu and searched for Soldier.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21589&stc=1&d=1511725790

As you can see, the soldier is set to read-only because it's from a reference module. So, I selected the (New) group from the same dropdown menu then dragged the soldier into it:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21590&stc=1&d=1511725799

Now this new copy of that soldier NPC is editable! After making any changes, I can use that copy to create an encounter. I can also create my own custom group for that NPC (also for Items, Encounters, Images, Powers, etc.) such as if I call my adventure "The Quick and the Shaken" like I did here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21591&stc=1&d=1511725810

Easy peasy!

JohnD
November 26th, 2017, 20:17
That's a great walkthrough.

Skaith
November 5th, 2022, 05:20
Hummm... years late but a question.

Once you create your own item is there a way to set it to write only so that a player cannot edit it once they have it in their possession?

superteddy57
November 5th, 2022, 05:37
When you export the records in your campaign, there is an option to set it as read only.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2022, 06:19
Once you create your own item is there a way to set it to write only so that a player cannot edit it once they have it in their possession?
In general no. Most records when added to a PC have the data from the base record copied into the character sheet and the player can edit all data in the character sheet. If the base record is just linked to the character sheet then the player usually can’t edit the linked base record. Which records are copied to the character sheet and which are linked depends on the ruleset. Are you referring to the Savage Worlds ruleset or a different ruleset?

Skaith
November 5th, 2022, 15:13
In general no. Most records when added to a PC have the data from the base record copied into the character sheet and the player can edit all data in the character sheet. If the base record is just linked to the character sheet then the player usually can’t edit the linked base record. Which records are copied to the character sheet and which are linked depends on the ruleset. Are you referring to the Savage Worlds ruleset or a different ruleset?

Thanks I was afraid of that. Using 2E and discovered the players could edit spells that I created.

Skaith
November 5th, 2022, 15:14
When you export the records in your campaign, there is an option to set it as read only.

Thanks, but it’s items I created in the campaign for use there.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2022, 16:51
Thanks I was afraid of that. Using 2E and discovered the players could edit spells that I created.
That's standard functionality - players can change data on their character sheets.

Skaith
November 6th, 2022, 12:46
That's standard functionality - players can change data on their character sheets.

Interesting. I know as a GM I couldn’t edit write only items unless I made a copy of them first.

I didn’t realize that did not apply to write only once they are dropped on a PC sheet.

Have to check that out once I get back home Tuesday.

Trenloe
November 6th, 2022, 21:40
Interesting. I know as a GM I couldn’t edit write only items unless I made a copy of them first.

I didn’t realize that did not apply to write only once they are dropped on a PC sheet.

Have to check that out once I get back home Tuesday.
Like I mentioned in post #8 - it depends on whether the base data record is linked to the character sheet when added or all the data for the record is copied to the character sheet. If you'd like specifics of which data records are copied and which are linked in the D&D 2E ruleset then I recommend you post a new thread in the sub forum for that ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?73-Classic-D-amp-D-(1E-2E-AD-amp-D-OSRIC)) as this thread is specific to the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Talyn
November 18th, 2022, 16:09

It's read-only not write-only. :) The act of dropping any record is creating a copy of it, hence why it suddenly becomes editable. The original read-only record only remains in the original module. Just like you have to create a copy of a monster to make changes to it, adding a monster to an Encounter record creates a copy of that monster; it's not the original record in that Encounter record now. This is expected functionality across all FG rulesets, and is no different than in person where any player can freely take a pencil to their paper character sheet.

Trenloe
November 18th, 2022, 20:05
...adding a monster to an Encounter record creates a copy of that monster; it's not the original record in that Encounter record now. This is expected functionality across all FG rulesets...
To clarify - adding a NPC to an encounter doesn't create a copy of the NPC, it only links to the NPC record that was dragged to the encounter record - at least as far as standard CoreRPG based ruleset functionality goes. When the encounter is added to the combat tracker (CT) is when copies of the base NPC record linked in the encounter are made into the CT, but this is purely in the CT.

Talyn
November 19th, 2022, 01:21
To clarify - adding a NPC to an encounter doesn't create a copy of the NPC, it only links to the NPC record that was dragged to the encounter record - at least as far as standard CoreRPG based ruleset functionality goes. When the encounter is added to the combat tracker (CT) is when copies of the base NPC record linked in the encounter are made into the CT, but this is purely in the CT.

Ah good catch! Forgot about the middleman there :)