PDA

View Full Version : DM LF ~5 Players // Non-standard Play Times // 5e

Jaccep
November 26th, 2017, 14:07
Warning: There is no set day/time this game will be played on. If you need a set day of the week for your game, this is not it! More details below for everyone else.

EDIT: The group is full up to 6 people at this time. There are also a few people on a wait list in case something opens up. If you wish to add your info in case something opens up, please feel free to let me know.

FG License: DM has Ultimate License, players do not need to own a FG license.
Game System: D&D 5th Edition

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: Short answer: Each session will be ended with a discussion/vote about our next available play-time. Long Answer: I have shifting days off due to my job, so a set day of the week is not feasible for me. I plan on sessions being every 1 - 2 weeks depending on availability. I'm hoping to have at least 4 out of the 5 players available for any given session. Sessions can range time-wise anywhere from mid-afternoon to late night EST, depending on group availability of course. A set time could be set for sessions if the group had a common availability, but the days must shift by necessity.

Planned start date: Start date will be discussed once all players are available. A session 0 will occur prior to campaign start.
Planned Duration & Frequency: 2 - 4 hours based on group availability. Sessions will be every 1 to 2 weeks as matching schedules allow.
Term: Looking for long term. First campaign will be a module adventure, and a home-brew world campaign would be the next step for a steady group.

Text or Voice: Text and Voice both OK. Those who wish to use text must be OK with others speaking.
Voice software used: Discord for voice, in-game for text

Roleplay & Combat mix: Aiming for 50/50, however can adjust to group style. Not looking to go full 100% one way or the other.
Number of Players in game & needed: Looking for 5 total players.
Character starting level & equipment: Characters starting at 1st level. Game will likely be played in a milestone system, but that can be altered if the majority wish.
Character restrictions: All published official WotC reference books are allowed. For the starting module campaign, I will not be allowing Unearthed Arcana exclusive content or other 3rd party material.

Details of your scenario: I understand that shifting days are not the best scenario for everybody. If that is the case, this may not be the game for you. If you have any further questions about how things will work out I am happy to answer them. I am very open to working with what campaign module we will be playing and I'm very big with group majority votes for things like that. I do not expect everyone to make every session, but I do expect honest attempts to be made to make most sessions. This should hopefully be easier with our end-game discussions to set up a agreeable day/time. If you are unable to make a session, please inform the group as soon as possible. Nobody likes last-minute notifications like that.

Min-Max style players are OK. I do prefer players who like to role-play their characters; If your character has weaknesses or flaws, play to that every once in a while. While I will try to DM to the best of the rules as written, I will take the spirit of the rules into consideration for all rulings. Not all decisions will be to the letter of the guide. I will also alters certain things for flavor purposes - For example, I agree with certain changes Matt Mercer made to Resurrection rules in CR.

New players and old players are both accepted. I would be glad to give basic rules teachings in session 0 to those who need it, as well as throughout our time playing. I don't expect anybody (including myself) to be an expert on all rules even after we've been playing a while. Mistakes will be made, and that's ok.

Other random info you can take into consideration if it matters to you:
- The DM is a 24 year old American male.
- I have moderate DMing experience, particularly in 5e.
- My Fantasy Grounds DMing experience is more modest.
- DM has port forwarding set up; No 3rd party software should be needed in this regard (i.e. Hamachi)
- I would like players to have an agreed way of communicating outside of the game such as a group-text or What's-App. At worst case, a Discord chat group.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to drop them down below or PM me. I know there's a lot of technicalities here, so let me know if anything seems unclear. I'll add more info to the original post if questions address something I think should be added.

Remington
November 26th, 2017, 16:42
Hello, I would be interested in being a player. I work a rotating shift schedule so most consistent time games did not work out for me. I played and DM'd a bit in a West Marches game but was missing one of the elements I love about Dnd which was a good story line. I'm 33 I've mostly played 5e on fantasy grounds and a little on table top, though I've love dnd since 3rd ed. Looking forward to hearing back, thanks.

JorgeGamer92
November 26th, 2017, 17:08
I would love to be able to join the game, but I live in Europe, so I may not be able to be in every session. However I will try my hardest to be in all the sessions I can. Also, I'm a totally new player, so I may make mistakes. I'm looking foward to hearing back, but it's ok if I can't join.

Jaccep
November 26th, 2017, 21:47
Hello, I would be interested in being a player. I work a rotating shift schedule so most consistent time games did not work out for me. I played and DM'd a bit in a West Marches game but was missing one of the elements I love about Dnd which was a good story line. I'm 33 I've mostly played 5e on fantasy grounds and a little on table top, though I've love dnd since 3rd ed. Looking forward to hearing back, thanks.

Hey,

Feel free to PM me about how your schedule works for your days off. If we have rotating days on opposite sides of the week, they may not ever line up!

Thank you for the interest!

Jaccep
November 26th, 2017, 21:51
I would love to be able to join the game, but I live in Europe, so I may not be able to be in every session. However I will try my hardest to be in all the sessions I can. Also, I'm a totally new player, so I may make mistakes. I'm looking foward to hearing back, but it's ok if I can't join.

Hello,

Thank you for the interest! Roughly what time of day would, say, 20:00 EST be for you? And is that around a time that you generally would be avaliable on days that you could play?

JulianTheApostate
November 27th, 2017, 02:48
I also work a shifting work schedule and also work PM's (3-11) EST. By shifting, I mean I have different days off within a 3-week work schedule, although the specific days off are known. For instance, I have every third weekend off. So I do know in advance which days coming up that I'll be off. I also have certain Mondays, Fridays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (always as a pair) and a Tuesday off every 10 weeks. In addition, such as right now and coming up in the second half of December, I might have extra time available due to vacation time, etc.

All that being said, I would like to join in. I'm a gamer of many types of games (war/strategy, sports, fantasy, both board-based and computer - both as an adjunct to board systems and as self contained programs unto themselves) but my experience with D&D in its original form is both slight and many years ago. I also have never played anything using Fantasy Grounds up to now, having just purchased the program a few days ago.

If you think I'd nonetheless be someone you'd be willing to have in the group, let me know.

claudian
November 27th, 2017, 02:52
Hello! My group just recently fell apart and am looking for a new group to play with! I also have a varying schedule that is never consistent so the idea sounds great to me!

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 03:05
I also work a shifting work schedule and also work PM's (3-11) EST. By shifting, I mean I have different days off within a 3-week work schedule, although the specific days off are known. For instance, I have every third weekend off. So I do know in advance which days coming up that I'll be off. I also have certain Mondays, Fridays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (always as a pair) and a Tuesday off every 10 weeks. In addition, such as right now and coming up in the second half of December, I might have extra time available due to vacation time, etc.

All that being said, I would like to join in. I'm a gamer of many types of games (war/strategy, sports, fantasy, both board-based and computer - both as an adjunct to board systems and as self contained programs unto themselves) but my experience with D&D in its original form is both slight and many years ago. I also have never played anything using Fantasy Grounds up to now, having just purchased the program a few days ago.

If you think I'd nonetheless be someone you'd be willing to have in the group, let me know.

Good evening,

I would be happy to accept a player with little FG or D&D experience. These things can be learned pretty easily.

It sounds like you have enough days off here and there that we can probably make things work out just fine.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 03:06
Hello! My group just recently fell apart and am looking for a new group to play with! I also have a varying schedule that is never consistent so the idea sounds great to me!

Hello!

How predictable is your varying schedule? Are you told what days you'll be off only shortly before you get them, or do you know well in advanced when you'll be free?

My days off shift week by week but I can map out my full year for the most part.

claudian
November 27th, 2017, 03:23
Yah I always know at least 2 weeks in advance what is happening so generally no surprises. In general when I do work is late evenings.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 03:42
Yah I always know at least 2 weeks in advance what is happening so generally no surprises. In general when I do work is late evenings.

We can give it a shot and see how it works out. If everything goes as smooth as hoped (though it never does) 2 weeks in advance should be enough

JulianTheApostate
November 27th, 2017, 13:56
Great. I look forward to it. Besides the base Fantasy Grounds program, which I already have, what more do I need? I plan to purchase the Complete Dungeon Master's Guide, Complete Core Class Pack, and Complete Core Monster Pack in any case. Anything else I'll need? Although I'm sure I could google it, where do I get the Discord program for voice connection? By the way, my name's Tony (not Julian).

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 14:19
Great. I look forward to it. Besides the base Fantasy Grounds program, which I already have, what more do I need? I plan to purchase the Complete Dungeon Master's Guide, Complete Core Class Pack, and Complete Core Monster Pack in any case. Anything else I'll need? Although I'm sure I could google it, where do I get the Discord program for voice connection? By the way, my name's Tony (not Julian).

Technically you don't need to purchase anything from Fantasy Grounds (including the base game!) as I can share all the manuals as long as we're both in at the same time. Anything you decide to get is purely for your own personal use. If anything, I recommend just the players Handbook or the complete core class pack so you can access them on your own. The Monster manual and dungeon masters guide aren't neccesary for players.

If you Google discord, the website should pop up. It's mainly a voice/IM type program.

Nice to talk Tony, I'm Jon.

JulianTheApostate
November 27th, 2017, 15:25
Jon, Good to know. When you mention the Player's Handbook, you're talking about the actual hard-copy book, right? I once had the various main D&D books, and may possibly still have them, although they'd be deeply buried somewhere in my game closet. Besides, I'm 99.9% sure that they wouldn't be 5E. Maybe not even 4E! I could get the latest copy, no-doubt, but you believe I would get what I need from the Complete Core Class Pack? Since I was going to get that anyway, I'll definitely have at least that. Do you think that the hard-copy book would be useful to have in addition to the Core Class Pack (possibly having additional information and/or being easier to reference)? If so, I'll get that as well. Will look up Discord and have it before we start.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 15:55
Jon, Good to know. When you mention the Player's Handbook, you're talking about the actual hard-copy book, right? I once had the various main D&D books, and may possibly still have them, although they'd be deeply buried somewhere in my game closet. Besides, I'm 99.9% sure that they wouldn't be 5E. Maybe not even 4E! I could get the latest copy, no-doubt, but you believe I would get what I need from the Complete Core Class Pack? Since I was going to get that anyway, I'll definitely have at least that. Do you think that the hard-copy book would be useful to have in addition to the Core Class Pack (possibly having additional information and/or being easier to reference)? If so, I'll get that as well. Will look up Discord and have it before we start.

You have a few options depending on how much you want. I'm always cautious recommending spending money that doesn't need to be spent to anyone because you never know their situation or needs. Here's a few options for ya:

- In Fantasy Grounds you could get the Complete Core Class Pack. This is a portion of the Players Handbook and allows full character creation and going through character options in FG.
- The Players Handbook - You could get a physical copy if you like. However, Fantasy Grounds also has this available. It's a full electronic version of the book, so if you don't mind a e-book type format it may work for you instead of a physical copy. It is searchable and would allow you to reference rules while playing in FG. It would also mean you don't need the complete core class pack as this includes everything in it already.
- You can also download an abbreviated players rules guide from the WotC website directly for free. This would give you everything you need to know to play 5e without all the extra fluff if you're into that stuff.

Again, none of this is technically necessary, they just may make things more easy for yourself if you want to work on things like your character on your own time or read up on the rules for 5e on your own. I have all of the reference materials available to share in FG, but you will only be able to access them while connected at the same time, which makes tinkering around by yourself pretty much impossible without your own copy. It's all about what you want to do.

JulianTheApostate
November 27th, 2017, 16:50
Hmm, I was searching to find something like that - how do I access the e-book version within Fantasy Grounds? Also, what's the difference between the hard copy Player's Handbook, apparently 5th edition, released in 2014, and Player's Handbook 5th Edition Next - it appears that's the latest printing?

groovetrain
November 27th, 2017, 18:00
Hi, I'm interested in playing. I'm also in EST and have an awkward schedule due to various work and musical ventures. Its relatively (but not completely) predictable.

I have a bit of experience with 5e, and I used to play AD&D, 3e, and 3.5, so I'm not new to the game, but definitely not an expert. I'll admit I'm a noob to fantasy grounds, but I have an ultimate subscription and have played around with the interface enough that I shouldn't slow you down too much.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 21:44
Hmm, I was searching to find something like that - how do I access the e-book version within Fantasy Grounds? Also, what's the difference between the hard copy Player's Handbook, apparently 5th edition, released in 2014, and Player's Handbook 5th Edition Next - it appears that's the latest printing?

You would either start a game or hit the "manage characters" button on the main menu. Then once in the program go to "library", turn on the module for the players handbook, and you'd be able to access it.

The 2014 release is the official 5e release. Anything labeled "Next" was 5e play-testing material before official release. You don't need any "Next" material, and some of the rules details changed between play testing and release.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 21:45
Hi, I'm interested in playing. I'm also in EST and have an awkward schedule due to various work and musical ventures. Its relatively (but not completely) predictable.

I have a bit of experience with 5e, and I used to play AD&D, 3e, and 3.5, so I'm not new to the game, but definitely not an expert. I'll admit I'm a noob to fantasy grounds, but I have an ultimate subscription and have played around with the interface enough that I shouldn't slow you down too much.

Hello!

How far out do you tend to know your schedule? How often do unexpected things change that schedule?

JulianTheApostate
November 27th, 2017, 22:18
Thanks, I now have access to the information I need and will be getting at least the Complete Core Class Pack module for Fantasy Grounds. I've also downloaded Discord. Can I consider myself in and one of "The Five" at this point? If so, any idea about when we're likely to start?

groovetrain
November 27th, 2017, 22:43
Hello!

How far out do you tend to know your schedule? How often do unexpected things change that schedule?

For the most part, I'm free every night except Wed. and Sun. Sometimes, I might have a gig to play (musician), and I'll know about that well in advance. Additionally, one of my jobs is delivering pizzas, and while I don't have 100% control over the scheduling on that, I do that only around 10 hours a week and it shouldn't be hard to arrange around. The scheduling for that will generally be known a couple of days before the workweek (starts on Tues), so in case there's a conflict there, there's time to get in touch with you and the group.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 22:51
Thanks, I now have access to the information I need and will be getting at least the Complete Core Class Pack module for Fantasy Grounds. I've also downloaded Discord. Can I consider myself in and one of "The Five" at this point? If so, any idea about when we're likely to start?

Yes, you're on the list for the group. I'll be sending out PMs probably tomorrow morning to everybody looking to confirm they're still interested and to try getting days avaliable over the next two weeks or so to see if we can schedule a session 0 for character creation and meet&greet.

Leobyn
November 27th, 2017, 22:51
Hello. I am interested in joining if there is still a spot open. I am in the eastern time zone and can be available most evenings. Days are not out of the question, but would be difficult, as I work and then have responsibilities at home afterwards. I have a little bit of experience with 5e. Thinking of getting the Ultimate License to run my own campaign since I cannot get my friends to commit, but would really enjoy playing a character in someone else's game if possible.

Jaccep
November 27th, 2017, 22:53
For the most part, I'm free every night except Wed. and Sun. Sometimes, I might have a gig to play (musician), and I'll know about that well in advance. Additionally, one of my jobs is delivering pizzas, and while I don't have 100% control over the scheduling on that, I do that only around 10 hours a week and it shouldn't be hard to arrange around. The scheduling for that will generally be known a couple of days before the workweek (starts on Tues), so in case there's a conflict there, there's time to get in touch with you and the group.

Welcome aboard then, no reason not to give it a shot! I'll be sending out PMs likely tomorrow to try arranging a common day we can all do a session 0 meet&greet and character creation. Just keep a lookout for it.

JulianTheApostate
November 27th, 2017, 22:55
I'm available tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday, definitely. I hope to also be available Thursday and Friday, but that's not definite yet - I'll know one way or the other on Wednesday afternoon. As for times, pretty much any time on the days when I'm home.

groovetrain
November 27th, 2017, 23:01
Welcome aboard then, no reason not to give it a shot! I'll be sending out PMs likely tomorrow to try arranging a common day we can all do a session 0 meet&greet and character creation. Just keep a lookout for it.

Excellent! Looking forward to it!

damned
November 27th, 2017, 23:11
Just in case there is still any confusion - the Complete Core Classes is the FG conversion of the Players Handbook
When it first came out the whole VTT and 3rd party licensing was brand new for the Wizards and they didnt want people thinking they were getting a physical book or even an exact replica so it was called Complete Core Classes.
Since then new products carry the same name as the physical products.

JulianTheApostate
November 28th, 2017, 00:29
Great. Thanks for that clarification.

Jaccep
November 28th, 2017, 00:49
Hello. I am interested in joining if there is still a spot open. I am in the eastern time zone and can be available most evenings. Days are not out of the question, but would be difficult, as I work and then have responsibilities at home afterwards. I have a little bit of experience with 5e. Thinking of getting the Ultimate License to run my own campaign since I cannot get my friends to commit, but would really enjoy playing a character in someone else's game if possible.

Hello!

I belive you are player #6. However, I am considering allowing a 6th player so we can maintain atleast 4 players on any given session. Sessions will almost certainly be in the evenings. Mid-afternoon at the absolute earliest, though I don't think this will be the case. Keep an eye out tomorrow for a PM about schedule availability and trying to set up a session 0.

Jaccep
November 28th, 2017, 00:50
Just in case there is still any confusion - the Complete Core Classes is the FG conversion of the Players Handbook
When it first came out the whole VTT and 3rd party licensing was brand new for the Wizards and they didnt want people thinking they were getting a physical book or even an exact replica so it was called Complete Core Classes.
Since then new products carry the same name as the physical products.

I must have been thinking of a different product you offer! I know something you offer is a more basic version of the PHB purely for character creation IIRC.

damned
November 28th, 2017, 01:36
There is also the free SRD and the free Basic Rules both of which contain a cutdown version of the players Handbook and do not include all options.

Leobyn
November 28th, 2017, 02:26
Ok thanks, I will keep checking.

Hello!

I belive you are player #6. However, I am considering allowing a 6th player so we can maintain atleast 4 players on any given session. Sessions will almost certainly be in the evenings. Mid-afternoon at the absolute earliest, though I don't think this will be the case. Keep an eye out tomorrow for a PM about schedule availability and trying to set up a session 0.

TheDux
November 28th, 2017, 10:53
I would be interested as well if there is still a spot open. I am a long time RPer and been playing 5e since the playtest. I am good with TBA and shifting schedules (until spring work is slow so I have tones of availability). I have about about half a week heads up about my schedule but if I have about a week and a half I can make sure to have pretty much any time off.

About me as a player: I tend to play ultility/Control characters that balance min-maxing and concept (in favor of concept). I do my best to keep the game moving forward when the party gets stuck in analysis paralysis. I spend time between session adding to my character's background or personality through log entries or journal entries or internal monologues. I am pretty good at using FG and making effects and have taught several others how to use the system. I don't get hung up on rule lawyering at the table but I do make notes on things for future discussion.

If you find room please let me know.

Jaccep
November 28th, 2017, 11:48
I would be interested as well if there is still a spot open. I am a long time RPer and been playing 5e since the playtest. I am good with TBA and shifting schedules (until spring work is slow so I have tones of availability). I have about about half a week heads up about my schedule but if I have about a week and a half I can make sure to have pretty much any time off.

About me as a player: I tend to play ultility/Control characters that balance min-maxing and concept (in favor of concept). I do my best to keep the game moving forward when the party gets stuck in analysis paralysis. I spend time between session adding to my character's background or personality through log entries or journal entries or internal monologues. I am pretty good at using FG and making effects and have taught several others how to use the system. I don't get hung up on rule lawyering at the table but I do make notes on things for future discussion.

If you find room please let me know.

Hey!

Thank you for your interest in my game. I have no problem with the crazy schedules, in fact most everyone involved seems to have something of the sort going on that seems to bring us together. Unfortunately I already have more than my original intended number of people who have joined the group, HOWEVER, this could change after session 0 depending on how well everybody meshes with the group and as people figure out if their schedule will be too hectic or not. If you like, I could keep you in mind and message you back in the future if a spot opens up?

Either way, thank you again for the interest. I wish you the best of luck in finding a compatible game.

TheDux
November 29th, 2017, 05:19
Definitely keep me in mind, i figured it was a long shot at the point.

Steapasnater
November 29th, 2017, 05:58
Hey there! So i'm an experienced 5e player/DM. I started about five years ago when I was a summer camp councilor looking for cheap ways to fill my weekends to avoid 5 hour trips home and back every week. I'm looking for to join a game to help bolster some of my own ideas and improve on my creativity. My availability is any week day after 6 central, save for occasional Fridays (that's when I run my Genashi campaign), and any time Sundays. Hope you have room for one more, still.

As always,
Steapa,
The Immortal Bard, Abhorsen, and Keeper of the River of Death

Jaccep
November 29th, 2017, 07:28
Hey there! So i'm an experienced 5e player/DM. I started about five years ago when I was a summer camp councilor looking for cheap ways to fill my weekends to avoid 5 hour trips home and back every week. I'm looking for to join a game to help bolster some of my own ideas and improve on my creativity. My availability is any week day after 6 central, save for occasional Fridays (that's when I run my Genashi campaign), and any time Sundays. Hope you have room for one more, still.

As always,
Steapa,
The Immortal Bard, Abhorsen, and Keeper of the River of Death

Hey!

Unfortunately we're already 1 player over the original intent and have a wait list with a few more. The number of players may change as people potentially decide the group isn't for them or schedules take them away. I can keep you in mind in the future if people decide they can't commit the time if you would like, but there are already a few people on that list.

Either way, I wish you luck in finding a game.

Leobyn
November 29th, 2017, 17:58
I'm going to pass for now, but keep me at the bottom of the list. I have more reading up to do, and these guys seem to be a lot more experienced than I. Good luck and have fun!