PDA

View Full Version : Static IP and Port Forwarding?

SheckyS
November 25th, 2017, 21:07
Hi,

I just bought a new router ASUS RT-AC3200 and I'm trying to set up so my players can connect to me on FG. I remember with my old router, I had to set up a Static IP address and also had to set up port forwarding. But since I am not a networking expert, I don't remember how to do this again.

I basically have internet through out local cable company. So cable modem to wireless router. The particular computer in question, though, is wired directly to the router (it's not wireless).

I've been googling for about an hour without any real luck. Are there some really clear set-up instructions for dummies somewhere?

Thanks

Myrdin Potter
November 25th, 2017, 21:08
What router are you using?

Andraax
November 25th, 2017, 22:02
Here's a place to start: https://setuprouter.com/router/asus/rt-ac3200/

damned
November 26th, 2017, 01:26
Generally you will go into LAN settings and DHCP and locate your computer and create a Reservation or similar for your computer to use a specific LAN IP address.
You will then create a Port Forward rule to direct TCP 1802 to your computer name or (reserved) IP address on TCP 1802.

SheckyS
November 26th, 2017, 14:02
Generally you will go into LAN settings and DHCP and locate your computer and create a Reservation or similar for your computer to use a specific LAN IP address.
You will then create a Port Forward rule to direct TCP 1802 to your computer name or (reserved) IP address on TCP 1802.

Wow. That's really vague. I figured it out, though. Thanks.

Myrdin Potter
November 26th, 2017, 14:14
Glad that you figured it out, but if you don’t even give us the router name and model, it is really hard to give you a specific answer. Happy gaming!

Andraax
November 26th, 2017, 14:17
Glad that you figured it out, but if you don’t even give us the router name and model, it is really hard to give you a specific answer. Happy gaming!

Actually, he did. It was in the OP. However, it's hard to give specific instructions unless the person has the same model (or one very similar). That's why I provided the link for his router on setuprouter.com.

Myrdin Potter
November 26th, 2017, 14:30
I don’t know how I missed it. Must be slowed by too much turkey this weekend.

SheckyS
November 26th, 2017, 16:41
Heh. Sorry. It's probably because my original post did not include that info. And then I edited it.

Myrdin Potter
November 26th, 2017, 22:21
Pro tip, when you edit a post it does not generate an email to the others that have posted. I thought I was going even more crazy because you had not posted what router in the original post and yet there it was. :-).

Glad you figured it out, if I had seen that you had an ASUS router I could have helped more directly as I have one as well and most of them use the same interface. It is not obvious what to do, I had to puzzle at it for a while as well.