PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Earth NPCs Bugged

BadJoss
November 25th, 2017, 20:56
When I add an HOE Marshal's Handbook NPC (those from SW GM & One Sheet are fine..) to the Combat Tracker it lists their Attributes, but not their Skills in the Traits section. The Attacks use the proper skill at that point. If you then open the NPC sheet, the skills appear in the Combat Tracker under Traits, but all of the NPCs Attacks become untrained!

I tried loading and unloading modules and extensions and even starting a new campaign all with the same results!

Is this bug or am I going nuts!

Moon Wizard
November 25th, 2017, 21:16
I’ve sent a note to the DLC developer to see what they say.

Cheers,
JPG

ProfDogg
November 25th, 2017, 23:04
Dang it, consarn it! I just happened to be starting up a new HOE campaign this Wed. Is the suggested fix just rolling Fight or Shoot and such and then dropping damage on the target if the roll bypasses the target number? Or is there a quicker and easier automatic means I'm not thinking of?

--Prof.Dogg

Doswelk
November 26th, 2017, 00:01
Having run HOE when I first converted it, this is not a problem I had at the time, suspect that this a a bug introduced by all the changes made to the ruleset.

I'll have to have a look...

Doswelk
November 26th, 2017, 00:40
Dang it, consarn it! I just happened to be starting up a new HOE campaign this Wed. Is the suggested fix just rolling Fight or Shoot and such and then dropping damage on the target if the roll bypasses the target number? Or is there a quicker and easier automatic means I'm not thinking of?

--Prof.Dogg
1) Make a backup copy of your HOE GM Module.
2) Change extension to .zip
3) Open the zip file
4) Edit the db.xml
5) Use search and replace:

<type type="number">0</type> Replace with <traittype type="string">Melee</traittype>
<type type="number">1</type> Replace with <traittype type="string">Ranged</traittype>
<type type="number">2</type> Replace with <traittype type="string">Thrown</traittype>

6) Save db.xml
7) Update .zip file
8) rename back to .mod
9) Test
10) wait for official fix if the above doesn't work for you...

BadJoss
November 26th, 2017, 14:37
Thanks for the swift reply! I made the edit as described with mixed results. The Croaker Shaman now looks good; Alien Crossbreed still wrong; Widow Maker a mixed result. I also still notice the behavior where the Black Hat was missing his Skills until I opened the NPC Sheet which in this case fixed it.

BadJoss
November 26th, 2017, 14:45

--Prof.Dogg

While I am just getting started with FG and HOE, unless there is a better way: I created a new folder under the Personalities list and will simply use the NPC Maker Extension to create the NPCs I need so they work correctly...

Springroll
November 26th, 2017, 18:34
There's a workaround if you will... Make a copy of the NPC (just drag it to the same window to make the NPC editable) and then ensure that the new NPC gets the correct skill on the combat tab (Melee for knifes, Ranged for Guns, Thrown for grenades...) - these are blank now but I'm sure that Doswelk will fix it in time for the next update :)

JohnD
November 26th, 2017, 19:19
It's good to know a fix is on the way. Users should not need to resort to "workarounds" on paid material.

Doswelk
November 26th, 2017, 19:48
The solution was a quick fix to let the chap run his game on Wednesday.

The official fix might have taken longer than his game on Wednesday to be released, I was just trying to support a fellow gamer :)

Springroll
November 26th, 2017, 20:41
I've been checking other modules and I notice the same "problem" in Deadlands Noir (NPC from the SL Noir GM's Guide), Slipstream (NPC from the Slipstream GM), Sundered Skies (NPC from the Skies Companion GM), Hellfrost (NPC from the Hellfrost Bestiary), Suzerain (NPC from the Suzerain GM's Guide), Lands of Fire (NPC from Land of Fire GMs Guide), Lankhmar (dragging an NPC directly from the Lankhmar GM Guide shows a blank attack, opening up the NPC before dragging to the Combat Tracker fixes the problem), Time:Zero (same problem as Lankhmar), All For One (NPC from the AFO GM Guide) and Weird Wars II (NPC from Weird Wars II GM).

I did not find an issue with Deadlands, Pirates, 50 Fathoms, Millennium Knights, Shaintar, Beasts and Barbarians, Last Parsec, The Sixth Gun or Weird Wars Rome.

Hope this helps with the bug-fixing Doswelk!

Doswelk
November 26th, 2017, 22:05
Hellfrost bestiary is being totally re-written, along with all the adventures being updated (in preparation for me running some Hellfrost games)

I think Ikael is working on something clever, so I'll wait and see before I fix Slipstream and Sundered Skies (the only other two of mine on that list), seeing as he broke them in the first place, it seems only fair he helps me fix them :p

Ikael
November 26th, 2017, 22:54
Ruleset was patched to support old way of defining attack type. The update is released next Tuesday. Still I recommend all content developers to update attack type definitions from type to traittype to allow better support.

If you are not sure if your module is outdated you can use SWEL Module Checker to identify all issues in your module.

Talyn
November 26th, 2017, 22:56
Hmm I was positive we checked for that when I updated Lankhmar. I'll take another look at it. :(

ProfDogg
November 29th, 2017, 10:51
And I was grateful... Much obliged...

-- Prof.Dogg

GunbunnyFuFu
November 30th, 2017, 00:36
I'll take care of the ones in Suzerain! Thanks for the heads up!

Talyn
November 30th, 2017, 01:24
I'm unable to duplicate in Lankhmar. I created a new encounter. Dragged an NPC out of the GM Guide list (without clicking it first) into the encounter, then clicked the NPC. No blank attack, just the attacks it's supposed to have.

Was that the correct process? Or did the ruleset update fix the issue?

Springroll
November 30th, 2017, 04:47
I'm unable to duplicate in Lankhmar. I created a new encounter. Dragged an NPC out of the GM Guide list (without clicking it first) into the encounter, then clicked the NPC. No blank attack, just the attacks it's supposed to have.

Was that the correct process? Or did the ruleset update fix the issue?

It's when dragging directly from the NPC Sidebar Button to the Combat Tracker the problem pops up, I still get it even after the update. 21624
That being said, @Talyn, you made an excellent module in Lankhmar!

Talyn
November 30th, 2017, 14:00
Ok, with the assistance of some freshly-brewed coffee, I spent the last hour and a half this morning completely rebuilding every single NPC in the Lankhmar GM Guide and just submitted it to SmiteWorks. If I drag out of NPC Master Index window directly to the Combat Tracker, I'm still seeing this behavior but it seems to be completely random. Some NPCs won't have their attacks load, others work correctly. All the markup is spot-on, so I'll sic our illustrious leader Ikael onto the issue.

The patch is scheduled for the weekly Tuesday update.

Oh, and thank you! :)

BadJoss
December 2nd, 2017, 13:47
In HOE, I am seeing slightly different behavior now. The NPC is wrong when first dragged to the tracker (No Skills), but if you then open up the NPC sheet it corrects itself in the tracker.

Ikael
December 5th, 2017, 19:49
In HOE, I am seeing slightly different behavior now. The NPC is wrong when first dragged to the tracker (No Skills), but if you then open up the NPC sheet it corrects itself in the tracker.

I have commited fix for this issue. The mystery behind this obscurity is bug that if NPC does not have wildcard information then Trait and Attack informations were not rendered. The fix will be in test channel in the near future and in live during next content update phase.