PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Addons, do DMs need to have everything players do?

Wilbus79
November 25th, 2017, 16:27
So first of all, I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere in this forum and I missed it.
Now, off to the scenario which is as follows:
1. DM has Fantasy Grounds Ultimate
2. I buy Fantasy Grounds + Volo's Guide to Monsters and Unearthed Arcana + complete core monster pack

Will the DM be able to see /use the specific race & class combo that I bought these for when I join his game, or does he need to buy the same content?
If the answer to above is no, if I buy that content for the DM... would I then be able to create the race/class combo (e.g. Firbolg Arcane Archer) if I did not buy the content for myself as well?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

Erin Righ
November 25th, 2017, 18:28
Hey Wilbus, welcome

With FG, the DM has to have the source material that the player's will use.

You can only use source material that the DM has OKed if you possess it and he doesn't, and If you buy it for him, you are the type of player that every GM wants, and he can share it with you so you can make your character

JohnD
November 25th, 2017, 18:30
If you are only going to be playing, I don't know why you'd need to buy the MM.

You can, as a player, access the content you've bought in game. If the DM doesn't have it, he/she will get a prompt in the chat box that you are trying to open a module that he/she does not have. The DM will then have to go into their Library and "activate" your permission to use the book(s) in question, but the DM will not have access to the book(s) in question - they will simply give the OK for you to use them.

If you buy these books as a gift for your DM (something that is well appreciated I can tell you given how much of the overall cost always falls on the DM's shoulders...), then they will be able to let not only you use the content while you are connected to their table, but everyone else that connects as a player as well.

LordEntrails
November 25th, 2017, 18:52
Here is a post that explains a little bit more:https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

Note, if a player owns content that the GM does not, the player can use it with the GM's permission, but the GM and the other players will not have access to it. If a GM owns content, they can choose to share it with the players. Also, you can gift content withing 30 days (I think) of purchase.

Erin Righ
November 25th, 2017, 19:00
Just buy it for your DM, Wilbus. That way is easiest and most appreciated :)

Bidmaron
November 25th, 2017, 23:46
But once the player has made his character, he would not need the content until he leveled up right? Everything copies to the character sheet and it doesn’t matter where it originally came from?

damned
November 26th, 2017, 01:07
Hi Bidmaron all the functional/mechanical stuff copies to the char sheet but things like descriptions do not.

Bidmaron
November 26th, 2017, 05:16
Right. Just like other rulesets (or at least PF).