PDA

View Full Version : Question on backgrounds

Octavious
November 25th, 2017, 06:09
Hi, is it possible to have a background such as Sage Professor or any other background in the PHB. and to have a second background on top of that for one of the factions such as "Harpers."

An example would be in LMoP where the pc are invited to join one of 4 factions by a few of the NPC upon completing a quest.

or do they have to completely abandon their original background in lieu of a faction background..

If they can add the second background .. the faction backgrounds give a new feat and boosts in some of the skill prof. can they add the new prof and feats also ?

The faction backgrounds are in the SCAG.

Blackwolf
November 25th, 2017, 17:01
The Background is meant more as what the character did before or leading up to becoming an Adventurer. I think that you may be thinking more of Profession or a proficiency like as in a Blacksmith or Shipwright? I do think that technically a Background can kind of describe a Profession but I am not sure all of them do that?

LordEntrails
November 25th, 2017, 19:02
As far as I know the ruleset is setup to only allow one background. And if a character joins a faction after character creation, that is not intended to be a "background" that is a Note.

That said, you can create your own backgrounds that are anything you want them to be, including a combination of backgrounds. Mechanically, you want to make sure you keep them balanced, but they can be anything the DM wants them to be.

Zacchaeus
November 25th, 2017, 22:20
The background as noted above is what the PC did prior to becoming an adventurer.

If the PC then joins a faction such as the Harpers I don't think they would necessarily suddenly get all of the skill proficiencies of that organisation. I don't see any problem with any of the other benefits gained from those organisations but not the skills. In 5e generally PCs don't learn any new skills except for certain classes who gain them at certain points through traits. However if you are the DM (or your DM allows it) then that's ok too if you wanted to give the PC the whole package.

Octavious
November 26th, 2017, 00:52
thank you everyone for all the information ,, that cleared it up for me .. I just wasn't sure .. thanks again !