PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying games & Board Games??

Tailz Silver Paws
March 7th, 2006, 23:55
I was just sitting back and brain storming and something just hit me. Everyone seems to be thinking about using FG just to play roleplaying games. What about other things.....

I was just thinking that if the rule sets and "tokens" were made in the right way you could play board games via FG. You could play most table top games via this system like Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, etc etc.

Has anyone other than me thought about this?

It brings me to an intresting idea. To those of you who do not know I collect and build 1:35 scale models and I used to some years ago play Warhammer & Warhammer 40k - and of late i was thinking about making my own rules to play a table top game with 1:35 scale models.

So I was thinking, why not make it to run in FG?? I could render tokens of the models for each sode, the maps could be a simpl area, then players could put down tree tokens, hill tokens, etc.... get my point?

So am I mad or is this an intresting idea?

richvalle
March 8th, 2006, 00:26
Some people have thought of this before and asked about the possiblity. I thought someone was making WWII mini's with rotating turrents for the tanks.

I do remember someone else asking about playing a board game via FG.

It should be possible. There would not be any controls for who's turn it is, which units have moved or fired yet (though that could be taken care of with additional tokens), ect. Some of those board games end up with LOTS of units on the board.

Aide de camp (sp?) does this sort of thing already but I think its much more expensive.

rv

Cantstanzya
March 8th, 2006, 00:36
How about checkers, chess, othello, pente. All very doable in FG. What about Trouble, Yahtze, or Monopoly. That would be cool if someone made a Monopoly type game as a module using D&D names for the properties, instead of Community Chest you'd have Treasure Chest. Instead of Chance you'd have Random Encounter.

richvalle
March 8th, 2006, 01:50
How about checkers, chess, othello, pente. All very doable in FG. What about Trouble, Yahtze, or Monopoly. That would be cool if someone made a Monopoly type game as a module using D&D names for the properties, instead of Community Chest you'd have Treasure Chest. Instead of Chance you'd have Random Encounter.

Ha! That is funny. Proprities could be tokens. Each player could get a side of the screen where the tokens would be placed. :)

rv

joshuha
March 8th, 2006, 01:53
We do need more tools available for large scale games like Warhammer. While doable, trying to move 20-40 units could be cumbersome without the ability to move multiple tokens at once. Plus a lot of those type games rely on dice pools and hitting target numbers. Again 1.06 should make this a bit easier.

Smaller scale mini games like DDM (D&D minis) would be easier and definitely doable if you scanned in your own stat cards.

I was even thinking about doing the Descent board game as its loads of fun but need the dice scripting mechanics in 1.06 to be able to do things like dice value mapping (which I hope LUA will give me that abiltiy).

Tailz Silver Paws
March 8th, 2006, 02:19
Some people have thought of this before and asked about the possiblity. I thought someone was making WWII mini's with rotating turrents for the tanks.

Heh-heh, the tanks thing was me. I'm yet to get around to it - been busy working on a World War II d20 character sheet & rule set for FG instead. :D

Thore_Ironrock
March 8th, 2006, 02:51
I've also toyed with this idea, and a few people have asked me about things like Battletech (no way since WizKids & FanPro are a bunch of stiffs when it comes to licensing), and just plain old fantasy combat rules (there are a lot of d20 versions out there, or create your own).

If someone could prove to me there was enough interest in it I could look into some of the current publishers or home-brew system. I have several friends in HMGS (Historical Miniatures Gaming Soceity) and could ask for their advice as well.

Always here to help!

devinnight
March 8th, 2006, 03:12
I was going to create a racing game based on a chariot racing game I played at a friends house. I was going to make it into a futuristic game like pod racing.. I have all the modified rules but no skillz in xml to make the appropriate sheets. Then I got really busy with tokens so it all became moot.
-D

Tailz Silver Paws
March 8th, 2006, 03:39
I've also toyed with this idea, and a few people have asked me about things like Battletech (no way since WizKids & FanPro are a bunch of stiffs when it comes to licensing), and just plain old fantasy combat rules (there are a lot of d20 versions out there, or create your own).

I'd say thats because the origional Battletech was just a rip of Robotech.

And they more than likely still smart from the law suit - from what I hear through the grape vine.

richvalle
March 8th, 2006, 04:12
I agree that small scale minis should work. What about that Hero-clicks (?) that was popular for a while?

Another problem with trying to do major historical board games is stacking. As someone says above, being able to move a stack is a must.

Doh! If you could move stacks, it would probably be pretty easy to do Titan! Tokens, some maps and the ability to roll lots and lots of 6 sided dice is all you need. :)

rv

Tailz Silver Paws
March 8th, 2006, 04:49
I agree that small scale minis should work. What about that Hero-clicks (?) that was popular for a while?

Another problem with trying to do major historical board games is stacking. As someone says above, being able to move a stack is a must.

Doh! If you could move stacks, it would probably be pretty easy to do Titan! Tokens, some maps and the ability to roll lots and lots of 6 sided dice is all you need. :)

rv

You can roll about 20 six sided dice currently, and you can use the typed command to roll a set number of dice. What your talking about is rolling a lot of dice but resolving each independantly instead of adding them all togeather.

heruca
March 8th, 2006, 16:13
I don't want to get too off-topic, since this thread is about adapting FG to play wargames (interesting idea, btw), but I just thought I'd mention that there are a number of programs available that already let you do this.

I've listed and linked to the ones I'm aware of here (skip to the bottom of my first post):
https://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38

I'm also planning on creating such a program myself, later this year.:)

Ghingis
March 8th, 2006, 19:23
I was going to mention vasselengine but you can already find it located at the the previous link. I'll go ahead and place the URL here for quick reference.

https://www.vassalengine.org/

[EDIT]
Also check out the modules page.

https://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=displayAll&Itemid=30