PDA

View Full Version : Curse Of Strahd - New Game

keeperofsouls
November 24th, 2017, 02:34
I am looking to start a new game up of Curse of Strahd in the next month (After Christmas). Curse of Strahd is my favorite campaign and one that have been wanting to run again for while. There is a great base for me to work with, and flexibility that can be easily adapted, with tons of RP moments. Its also a very dark campaign, one I don't mind tearing the players into scraps with.

The game will be on Sunday 6:30pm -9:00 MST understanding will end the session sometime in the last 30minutes. It will start as a biweekly before ramping up to weekly once things are set into place for players and myself.

I have been DMing for the last 4 years solid, with on and off for over 20 years. I will tell most the time I prefer RP over Combat (70%-30%) and will be looking for players that want to play their characters not just level them. I want players that have not played this campaign before.

The campaign will be on the harder side of dnd I won't be pulling punches and will be tuned with the players in mind. For the most part I will be just using 5th dnd rules. I have a few home brew rules with this campaign one having to do with raise spell and resurrection and one dealing with the horrors of Barovia, its a scary place. I will be using a check point system for the game.

If your interested please send me.

Race
Description
Background - Goals, up bringing family, hopes, desires, likes/dislikes, and anything else you can think of.

(Update 12/24/17)

Currently 5 player has been accepted (If anyone would like to send me information on there character in case I have someone drop you are welcome to do so in such a case I would contact them before posting an opening).
It important that you send me a background, good portion of my games play off the players a great deal as well.
Planning for first session 31 December.

(Update 11/28/17)

I am allow pretty much anything published by wizards for 5E (if its crazy trying to break balance I will break it however).

Calendar.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2892

Orsalak
November 24th, 2017, 03:39
I’m potentially interested, but 6:30p in what time zone?

keeperofsouls
November 24th, 2017, 23:57
Changed to reflect I am on MST time zone.

Mystikan
November 27th, 2017, 10:35
Hi, I am also in the mountain time zone (Denver Metro) looking for a Sunday evening/night group. Let me know how the group is coming together as I am definitely interested in playing.

FG License: Standard Liscense
Time Zone: Mountain USA GMT -7
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Late Night Saturday or Sunday around Midnight EST (0000 -5 UCT)
Term: Any
Voice: Discord and can DL any other needed

Game System Preferred: 5E D&D,
Game Type: RP/Combat/Exploration a good mix, but any intersting group would do
Game System Experience: Played 1st Edition many moons ago
Fantasy Grounds Experience: None (Been playing around with Fantasy Grounds solo so some exp)

Character Type Preferred: Bard, Wizard or Sorcerer but open

About me: I own the Fantasy Grounds version of the 5E DMG, PHG, MM, Volo's, and SCAG. I want to be a player in a group and with enough experience start DMing some adventures of my own. Investing some money into Fantasy Grounds so I now hope to get some play time whether as DM or player. I also own hard cover 5E DMG, PHB, and MM. I also own 1st Ed AD&D Hardcovers DMG, PHB, MM, MM2, FF, Deities and Demigods, and some old modules. Also a hardcover of 2E DMG. I can pretty much be talked into investing in Fantasy Grounds C&C if a group comes along. Pathfinder also sounds interesting.

keeperofsouls
November 28th, 2017, 23:26
I'll keep what I have in the above post so people know the classes of the other players I am accepting.

If you have questions send me a PM other wise if your interested send me.

Race
Description
Background - Goals, up bringing family, hopes, desires, likes/dislikes, and anything else you can think of.

Orsalak
November 29th, 2017, 02:17
How many players do you want in the group? I was thinking about a cleric or paladin.

[EDIT]: Just saw you have a cleric, maybe a paladin would be better then, although multiple clerics might not be bad... I'll send you a PM with a background, etc. tomorrow. :)

keeperofsouls
November 29th, 2017, 11:49
4-5 players is what I am aiming for.

bard621
December 22nd, 2017, 00:56
What books are you allowing?

keeperofsouls
December 22nd, 2017, 01:37
I am allow pretty much anything published by wizards for 5E (if its crazy trying to break balance I will break it however).
Example is I tend not to deal with pixie summon.

bard621
December 22nd, 2017, 17:21
so, a Kobold Wizard would not be out of the question?

Kobold Wizard (probably Illusionist)- Charlatan background - Kilpow

Hellos all, I's is KILPOW. I hads a home once. Some big meanies came and killed my families. We's was just minding our own business taking care of ours dragon, and then boom some big uglies came and destroyed everything. Meansies they's were. I's surviveded because I hides in the bodies they pushed off to side. I made pictures likes I was a dead kobold in the pile. Thens I ran at first opportunity. I finded a group of circus performers. They threatened me at first, but then I started making pretty pictures appear all over the place. Theys askeded me to join them and help in their cons. Truths was they just wanted to takes peoples moneys, which I was okay with. It gave me chance to get coin to become even better and find the meanies who hurt my tribe. I was taught to read and theys also teacheded me some more spells. I has since branched off and started my own cons, buts I know deep down thats I will eventually go back and reclaim my home.

keeperofsouls
December 22nd, 2017, 23:15
Send me a PM some information how you would play it with a group of mostly good humanoids?
And join the calendar.

I need to know because in general I won't allow an evil character to be played unless I know the player. Most peoples ideas on how you play evil character I would just end up killing their character or letting the players do it.

bard621
December 23rd, 2017, 01:46
Just because I'm a kobold, why do you assume I'm evil?

keeperofsouls
December 23rd, 2017, 06:20
Ahhh but the challenge would still be the same. No humanoid of good virtue would think you are good.

CrazyYodler
December 23rd, 2017, 09:04
is the game currently still open?

bard621
December 23rd, 2017, 16:49
Ahhh but the challenge would still be the same. No humanoid of good virtue would think you are good.

In Barovia, what part of the population actually has good virtue? Maybe we're thinking of different Barovia's?

Kalsaphix
December 23rd, 2017, 19:35
I'd like to join in on this. I have a back story for my guy, but if I must I would like to only share it with the DM as I find its rather hard for other players to not use player knowlage

keeperofsouls
December 23rd, 2017, 19:54
I'd like to join in on this. I have a back story for my guy, but if I must I would like to only share it with the DM as I find its rather hard for other players to not use player knowlage

Race
Description

I am still accepting. When I decide to let someone in I update the main post.

keeperofsouls
December 23rd, 2017, 20:00
In Barovia, what part of the population actually has good virtue? Maybe we're thinking of different Barovia's?

Wasn't taking about Barovia and I don't give many things away about a campaign I am running to the players. The strahd campaign is only a base for what I am planning to run. I asked the original question for a campaign if your still interest in playing please send me a PM.

Kalsaphix
December 23rd, 2017, 22:08

Race
Description

I am still accepting. When I decide to let someone in I update the main post.

Working on it now. it is kind of long. but the short version for the points you asked for,
Race: Tabaxi
Class at level 20 (Should we get there) 17monk/3Sor
Description: Black pelt gold stripes bare chested human faced tabaxi, the whites of his eyes are black with blue around the gold of his iris and his pupils are like a cats
Background: he's looking for something to seal/remove a powerful curse on someone, he's never really meant to find it, its just a driving plot at first as this friend ends up getting killed. raised by his mom, kind of has the Naruto thing going on as in he just wanted to be accepted, didn't work, now an outcast.
Hope: free his friend from a cruse they seem to be under
Desires:Making intresting storys to bring back to his friend
Likes: Making things/ discorvering new ways to make things and things to make
Dislikes: Pious People "We know the wrongs brought by those who believe themselves right"
Quirk: Speaks in the third person^ when talking to people he dosn't know/trust.

Some years ago I was trying to right a book involving the characters of the D&D game I was playing. everyone knew about it and was ok with the idea. than one day the dm desides he wants to story to end with the heros dieing. and tryied to TPK, that was also the last time I've played IRL. so, rewainding his story to a point before he met the rest of the other players is all I'm really doing. so if you have any questions feel free to ask me. discord is the easiest way to get ahold of me. heres my server link. https://discord.gg/hyMtN

keeperofsouls
December 24th, 2017, 04:53
Send me a PM with the background when you are done.

Kalsaphix
December 24th, 2017, 05:50
background sent

keeperofsouls
December 24th, 2017, 21:44
Still looking for 1 or 2 more players to fill out the group.

If your interested please send me a PM with.

Race
Description

CandidAstrius
December 24th, 2017, 22:08
Hi,
My wife and myself would both be interested in playing if your still looking for players, I've been playing a slow home brew with some friends in FG for close to 6 months now, and Melissa has been watching over my shoulder for part of that, recently asked to play.

While she has no first hand experience with FG, she has had experience with traditional table top dnd 3.5, and I'll be able to stream line her FG learning curve.

Melissa is hoping to play dragonborn druid who's outlook is that fire is a natural process that makes room for new growth by cleaning out the old.

As for me, I've been wanting to try out a hexblade warlock (blade pact of course) but if you'd prefer (since I'll admit they seem a touch powerful on paper) I'd happily go with a different patron like the great old one, a Scrappy hafling street urchin.

If your interested in us, i'd be happy to provide more details (including names, since names are always the last detail I seem to come up with, almost always leading to a rather cliche name...) In a direct message

KILLGORE
January 5th, 2018, 10:59
I'd like to play. I have an old 2e Elf fighter/mage from Forgotten Realms that has an extensive background that I would like to resurrect in 5e. The background is based around the Starfall sent him into "the mists" after a horrific event in Cormanthor. This is a transitional story of how this character travels into the mists, and hopefully makes it out. He then will be brought into my Pathfinder campaign IF he survives the journey. I'd like to act this out in CoS rather than just write up something out of my head.
Let me know if your interested and need one more experienced player and I send you something that connects the stories.

Axoid
January 7th, 2018, 17:38
I would be interested in playing, I am new to FG but not D&D. The original I6 module in on my all-time favorites list.

I have several characters in mind, so wondering what gaps there are in the party. I could fit in as needed.

I'm US Eastern Time.

Thanks,
Don