PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Trinkets Module

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2017, 02:10
Here's a little module with a table of 100 trinkets that you can use to add flavor to treasure, characters, or room descriptions. Enjoy!

See THIS POST (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41221-Dungeon-Trinkets-Module&p=368882&viewfull=1#post368882) from Talyn for a more functional version of this module with the items as actual item objects!

Edit: 12/22/17 Added link to Talyn's post.
11/24/17 Updated tags to use with any rulesets thx to damned.

License: CC-BY-SA

madman
November 24th, 2017, 03:34
Here You Go.

Madman..

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2017, 03:50
Thank you! I thought I could change the ruleset tag to "all" but that didn't work. Still have to figure out why when I changed it back to "5E" it wasn't recognized. Will try fresh tomorrow :)

Would a Mod please move this to the CoreRPG forum and add it to the any appropriate stickies? Maybe this one (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27298-Extensions-Modules-Pregens-and-other-5E-resources) plus any CoreRPG/generic threads?

damned
November 24th, 2017, 06:43
<ruleset>Any</ruleset>
or remove it completely
is what you want for universality!

JohnD
November 24th, 2017, 16:24
Yes please.

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2017, 18:03
Thanks damned. First post updated and now this will work with any ruleset. Do note that I have the table output set to "Parcel" and this may need to be changed if you are using ruleset that does not have parcels. I haven't tested it in such a ruleset so don't know the behavior.

Let me know any issues.

LordEntrails
December 21st, 2017, 21:38
Can anyone think of a quick way to convert all of these to actual items (5E ruleset)?

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2017, 22:27
If you have an old copy of par5e, yes. But otherwise not really.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2017, 02:09
If you have an old copy of par5e, yes. But otherwise not really.
I've got the old Par5E, but these don't exist outside of FG. So if I pulled it out of the xml I could then format it for Par5E pretty easily?

Talyn
December 22nd, 2017, 05:15
Can anyone think of a quick way to convert all of these to actual items (5E ruleset)?

"Quick?" No.

But give me a day or so, I've already got it 30% finished and working in all CoreRPG-based rulesets.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2017, 05:31
"Quick?" No.

But give me a day or so, I've already got it 30% finished and working in all CoreRPG-based rulesets.

Awesome! Please share. If you want I will update the first post.

Talyn
December 22nd, 2017, 16:34
Ok, here's my version!

Since I'm one of the main guys chiding everyone about making things unnecessarily ruleset-specific, time for me to put up or shut up, so I made sure this works in every CoreRPG-layered ruleset I could think of (that I own, anyway).

CoreRPG (and MoreCore)
3.5E/Pathfinder
4E (yes, I'm told that "4E players are people, too.")
5E
Call of Cthulhu 7E
Castles & Crusades
Fate Core
Numenera (GMs may wish to set the item type to 'Oddity' or whatever before giving it to a character?)
Savage Worlds

Assumptions made when I chose to do this: trinkets are, by and large, "unimportant" so all items are lowercase, and set to 'identified.' There were a couple trinkets in there which could be argued are enchanted items and maybe the GM will want to toggle that setting and add non-id descriptive text. I gave each item a very short name so that the parcel, character inventory, and this table itself doesn't contain full sentences and take up too much space. Each item was hand-crafted in XML (suck it, PAR5E! :p) to contain all the needed basic tags to get the trinkets to work in these rulesets (that's why I said it wasn't "quick" last night). Once you get to data like weight, cost, etc. that's where each ruleset starts diverging from the others quite often, so none of that is included to avoid problems with other rulesets. (Such as the leather bracers, I can imagine players asking "What's the armor class/rating? How much does it weigh? What's the encumbrance rating?" etc. That's for the GM to deal with.) Finally, as a GM who sees the value in this tool, I also didn't want my Item master index littered with trinkets, so they've all been hidden away; only this table will access them so they're not in your way otherwise.

While building the items, I went into full English Major/Copy Editor mode (sorry, my brain just does that) so I corrected all spelling errors and typos I found, and in several cases I, shall we say, added some herbs and spices to your flavor text? :p Hope ya don't mind.

I hope this is useful, as well as being an example of how to do a few simple tricks and also of putting in the effort to make things as useful to as many players as possible, not just players of a single ruleset. The more the merrier! :)

Oh, and in the spirit of "you learn something new every day," I learned that @LordEntrails' favorite color is BLUE! I mean, my gods, his favorite color is BLUE! There's a single speck of white, and a scant few splotches of black in his world, otherwise it's all blue, blue and more blue! Hey, @LordEntrails? I work over the entire holiday, so... https://youtu.be/BnGoH-TMIs8 ;) :p

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2017, 17:03
Sounds cool Talyn, thanks!

I'll update the first post and let you know how everything works for me after playing with it.

What's wrong with blue anyway? :)

Nylanfs
December 22nd, 2017, 17:06
Blue? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc)