PDA

View Full Version : What TV size should I buy for my table?

Seya
November 21st, 2017, 05:17
I'm going to be making a table with a tv built in it for playing DnD. What size tv works best for fantasy grounds? If anyone has any tips for building a table I'd love to hear them also. I would also love tips on using fantasy grounds for in person games.

Wookiee420
November 21st, 2017, 05:19
i use a 45inch for my main pc monitor, FG looks amazing on it...i dont think there is a "too big" (thats what she said)

Seya
November 21st, 2017, 13:35
I found this sweet build
https://caethial.tumblr.com

Nylanfs
November 21st, 2017, 14:15
Polygon featured that table build, and guess which picture they used as the head line, yep the one with the guy flipping the camera off. :)

LordEntrails
November 21st, 2017, 15:40
One thing to consider, is if you are going to be using the table with mini's, then you will want to display your maps at a 1":5' scale. And then TV size will dictate what size maps you can display.

But, imo, I would look at the widest I would want the table, and how much "edge space" you want between the TV and the table. That would drive the size of the TV for me.

Seya
November 21st, 2017, 15:54
One thing to consider, is if you are going to be using the table with mini's, then you will want to display your maps at a 1":5' scale. And then TV size will dictate what size maps you can display.

But, imo, I would look at the widest I would want the table, and how much "edge space" you want between the TV and the table. That would drive the size of the TV for me.

Yes i will be using minis. Any tips on how to set that up?

LordEntrails
November 21st, 2017, 15:59
Yes i will be using minis. Any tips on how to set that up?
This extension; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

Trenloe
November 21st, 2017, 17:31
Yep - use the extension mentioned by LordEntrails to give quick-and-easy sizing to 1 inch grids on your TV.

I use a 45" 4K TV - this gives me approx 100 pixels per square (so the maps look good, not pixelated) and just about allows for a 30x24 inch map (width is the limit) to fit on the TV. You can see a number of photos in the extension thread.

If you don't have that amount of space (or cash for a 4K TV) then get the biggest TV you can to fit in the space you have - this will give you the most flexibility.

Seya
November 21st, 2017, 17:55
Awesome thanks guys. I think i will buy a new 45 inch TV and get this table built thanks.

LordEntrails
November 21st, 2017, 18:04
Awesome thanks guys. I think i will buy a new 45 inch TV and get this table built thanks.
Better share pictures! Like here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30339-Face-to-Face-gaming-table-subscription-purchase-questions&p=273157&viewfull=1#post273157

(Note, there is a thread with lots of pictures, but I can't find it at the moment!)

Grumpy_Grognard
November 22nd, 2017, 17:23
When using a monitor as a battlemat, is there a concern about overheating? The vents are set up for a horizontal air circulation.

Wookiee420
November 22nd, 2017, 17:28
When using a monitor as a battlemat, is there a concern about overheating? The vents are set up for a horizontal air circulation.

As long as you build in vents and support the edges (tv's are traditionally built to stand up so the ends need support so it doesn't bow and crack) then you should be good

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2017, 17:46
I've put a wooden surround on mine so unassisted airflow is limited, so I added a couple of inexpensive USB powered fans mounted on the surround (powered from a USB port on the TV). I haven't had issues with ambient temperatures in the low 80's (F) - but I probably wouldn't be too confident in 90+ temps!

Seya
November 22nd, 2017, 18:17
Thanks for the tips on the fans and overheating. I went and talked to a carpenter today. We went over some designs and I should get my quote back soon. I decided to go with a 43" TV

Seya
February 7th, 2018, 01:54
Heres some pictures of my completed table.
I love it and couldn't imagine playing without it now.

LordEntrails
February 7th, 2018, 02:15
Nice Seya. Looks well done. Hope you are enjoying it!

Bidmaron
February 7th, 2018, 04:32
Man, great looking table, Seya!

Trenloe
February 7th, 2018, 13:58
That’s fantastic!

Artaxerxesnow
February 20th, 2018, 21:28
Hey all new here...I am trying to do the same thing (using FG as a battlemap) How are you outputting to a tv so that only the map shows and not all the other "DM" information?

Thanks!

Trenloe
February 20th, 2018, 21:32
Hey all new here...I am trying to do the same thing (using FG as a battlemap) How are you outputting to a tv so that only the map shows and not all the other "DM" information?
Welcome to the forums.

Start a second instance of FG on the same computer. "Join Game" with a server address of localhost Share the map. Use masking, whatever you want. The second instance is a player instance, but doesn't need an additional license as localhost connection doesn't need one.

Seya
February 20th, 2018, 21:32
I run a second session of fantasy grounds on my laptop as a player. So the tv shows the players view and no the DM

Artaxerxesnow
February 20th, 2018, 21:33
Pow!

Thanks..I will try that.

Artaxerxesnow
February 20th, 2018, 21:41
If I run a second session, won't they just see whatever window I have open on the tv? I guess I could use a second computer to run just the battlemap

Trenloe
February 20th, 2018, 21:53
If I run a second session, won't they just see whatever window I have open on the tv? I guess I could use a second computer to run just the battlemap
You run the second session on the TV, and your GM instance on your computer monitor. You control what is seen on the TV, just like you would any additional screen on your computer - share a battle map from the GM session, open/close on the player instance.

You can use another computer if you want - but then you'll need someone else to control it - or take up more space behind your GM screen. Go with what works for you.

The use the Map Resize extension to size each square to 1 inch: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games