PDA

View Full Version : Reference Manual Search Box Triggering Tags

dulux-oz
November 21st, 2017, 03:14
Hi Guys,

This has almost certainly been asked before / is documented somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it (stupid me!) - what does the Reference Manual Search Box trigger off ie If I'm creating a new reference manual and I want to use the Search Box functionality, what is/are the XML tags I need to include in the reference manual entries?

For the record, the only existing Reference Manual that I have that has the Search Function is the 5E ones, and I can't open them up to look at the raw XML (otherwise I wouldn't have asked).

Cheers

LordEntrails
November 21st, 2017, 03:20
I remember another post mentioning that you have to add a keyword tag and add the keywords you want the search to look for. I think this will point you in the right direction...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37380-Keywords-for-Reference-Manual

Moon Wizard
November 21st, 2017, 03:22
It's on the wiki, but a bit hidden, since it's not used often.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Reference_Manuals
See the keywords tag in the Navigation subsection. It's just a bunch of words stuffed into a string field.

Cheers,
JPG

damned
November 21st, 2017, 04:03
My reference manuals are stacked with keywords... but as best as I can tell it only searches the page name... which to me seems... almost (sorry) pointless... is this by design or Im doing something wrong?

Talyn
November 21st, 2017, 05:03
<keywords type="string">blah blah blah</keywords>

This goes in the 'index navigation' section along with (but not inside) the <listlink>.
Keywords are space-delimited.

Not sure if this answers @damned's question or not, but the keywords are not loaded into memory (ie. searchable) until the page is one that has been expanded in the index column. If you click the master + button immediately after the reference manual window opens, it will load all the pages' keywords at once so that it works the way one would expect it to.

damned
November 21st, 2017, 05:09
<keywords type="string">blah blah blah</keywords>

This goes in the 'index navigation' section along with (but not inside) the <listlink>.
Keywords are space-delimited.

Not sure if this answers @damned's question or not, but the keywords are not loaded into memory (ie. searchable) until the page is one that has been expanded in the index column. If you click the master + button immediately after the reference manual window opens, it will load all the pages' keywords at once so that it works the way one would expect it to.

Surely its not desirable to have to open all 250 pages each session so that you can then search them?

Talyn
November 21st, 2017, 05:19
No, but that's how it works. I've just gotten myself into the habit of clicking the master + to expand all the pages, thereby loading the keywords into memory, then immediately clicking the master - to shrink everything back down, then read the bits of the reference manual I wanted.

damned
November 21st, 2017, 06:13
No, but that's how it works. I've just gotten myself into the habit of clicking the master + to expand all the pages, thereby loading the keywords into memory, then immediately clicking the master - to shrink everything back down, then read the bits of the reference manual I wanted.

So I dont have to click every page? Just expand the chapters?

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2017, 10:48
So I dont have to click every page? Just expand the chapters?

Correct. Just click the '+' button at the bottom of the 'Reference' page and all will be well.

damned
November 21st, 2017, 12:27
Thanks. That seems to work.

Talyn
November 21st, 2017, 13:38
Correct. It's a bizarre system, but the individual page index data isn't loaded until the index itself is expanded. If you only expand (sub)chapter by (sub)chapter as if you were reading it normally, then only the pages contained within the (sub)chapters you'd expanded will have their index data loaded.