PDA

View Full Version : Damage Dice - Pathfinder

RedRobed
November 20th, 2017, 09:57
Right, so I was looking on D20PFSRD and the Damage dice progression went from 1d12 to 2d4...I'm thoroughly stumped...I thought it went to 2D6, 2D8, and 2D10...also another intriguing thing I noticed was the Weapon DP system, when a weapon increases in damage from 1D10, it goes to 1D12 or 2D6...So, once again I am confused.

Which one is the correct route, and which one is the incorrect route. You only get one shot, so choose wisely. :confused:

Ken L
November 20th, 2017, 22:01
You're referring to this I take it:
https://i.imgur.com/nCjAofZ.png

The table is left to right, I think you read it columnar.

1d12 -> 3d6
2d4 -> 2d6

RedRobed
November 21st, 2017, 00:54
In part yes, if I read that as left to right, it makes sense size wise. I'm talking Increasing Damage steps for a single size. Which in Theory should be as a column. If I'm wrong I'd very much like to know.

So if I read weapon creation correctly from that point, it goes 1D10 to 1D12 or 2D6...the 2d4 doesn't even come up as an option. Which I mean is why should it? It's less damage for an Increased damage step.

So, slightly stumped still but I understand the increase in size bit, which is left to right. Not the Damage step.

It might be plausible that it's simply a typo, but I honestly don't know if it is or not as I have not gotten an answer specifically saying it was from the people on D20. If somebody knows the correct answer, I'd be grateful to know.

damned
November 21st, 2017, 00:56
I dont think you are reading the right table for the rule/feature you are looking for...

Trenloe
November 21st, 2017, 01:07
https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t3f

RedRobed
November 21st, 2017, 01:12
For the Weapon creation, you can select a model weapon or create a template brand new which uses a specific set up.

Under Weapon Creation
-For Two Handed Weapons
1DP - Increase Damage increment to a maximum of 1D12 or 2D6 from 1d10...so this skips the 2d4 or does not count it as an option, but according to the table, 1d12 is 2 damage increments lower than 2d6.

Does this mean if I select this particular upgrade for a Greataxe that does 1d12, I now do 2d4?....Somehow that just doesn't sound right. I was under the impression that it went to 2d6, 2d8, 2d10

When they increase in size they both do 3d6 however so that's not in dispute in the least.

What I'm ultimately confused about it, does the 1d12 go to 2d4 then 2d6 and if you want it to go to 1d12 from 2d6 you decrease it?

This literally affects how many Design Points you have for creating weapons, so I'm hoping my confusion isn't unjustified.

damned
November 21st, 2017, 01:14
The chart that Trenloe links to is what you are looking for.
You may be looking for both but your specific question is answered above by Trenloe.

Erin Righ
November 21st, 2017, 12:36
Size Changes, Effective Size Changes, and Damage Dice Progression: I'm confused by how to increase and decrease manufactured and natural weapon damage dice when the weapon's size or effective size changes. There's a bunch of different charts, and I'm not sure which to use.

When the damage dealt by a creature’s weapons or natural attacks changes due to a change in its size (or the size of its weapon), use the following rules to determine the new damage.

• If the size increases by one step, look up the original damage on the chart and increase the damage by two steps. If the initial size is Small or lower (or is treated as Small or lower) or the initial damage is 1d6 or less, instead increase the damage by one step.
• If the size decreases by one step, look up the original damage on the chart and decrease the damage by two steps. If the initial size is Medium or lower (or is treated as Medium or lower) or the initial damage is 1d8 or less, instead decrease the damage by one step.
• If the exact number of original dice is not found on this chart, apply the following before adjusting the damage dice. If the damage is a number of d6, find the next lowest number of d6 on the chart and use that number of d8 as the original damage value (for example, 10d6 would instead be treated as 8d8). If the damage is a number of d8, find the next highest number of d8 on the chart and use that number of d6 as the original damage value (for example, 5d8 would instead be treated as 6d6). Once you have the new damage value, adjust by the number of steps noted above.
• If the die type is not referenced on this chart, apply the following rules before adjusting the damage dice. 2d4 counts as 1d8 on the chart, 3d4 counts as 2d6 on the chart, and so on for higher numbers of d4. 1d12 counts as 2d6 on the chart, and so on for higher numbers of d12.
• Finally, 2d10 increases to 4d8 and decreases to 2d8, regardless of the initial size, and so on for higher numbers of d10.

Damage Dice Progression Chart
1d2
1d3
1d4
1d6
1d8
1d10
2d6
2d8
3d6
3d8
4d6