PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened to exotic weapons in 5e?

ondercanergumus
November 18th, 2017, 19:43
Hi adventurers! I am running a campaign in FG, but i need exotic weapons for my scenerio. Anyone knows about which dlc should i buy or how i can create exotic weapons? Thanks for the help.

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2017, 19:45
What exactly do you mean by exotic weapons?

ondercanergumus
November 18th, 2017, 20:09
One picture, worths thousand words. :)

ondercanergumus
November 18th, 2017, 20:36
I need this weapons in FG. So please help us.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2017, 21:07
5E doesn't have exotic weapons. The weapons in the PHB are intended to be more generic or category representations rather than a narrow weapon representation. For instance, a katana would use the same stats as a long sword. It's all part of the intent to simply rule complexity from previous editions.

That being said, their is homebrew stuff that various people have made for various weapons that you can find on places like DMsGuild, ENWorld and reddit. But I don't use any of them so can't point you to anything specific or tell you how good it might be.

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2017, 21:29
Indeed, as LordEntrails says just use the existing weapons. Start a new campaign and open up the PHB or whatever resource you are using. Make a copy of all the weapons and just rename the copies to whatever name you want and then use export to create a module of your weapons. Open the module in your actual campaign and share it with your players so they can access it.

ondercanergumus
November 20th, 2017, 21:55
Indeed, as LordEntrails says just use the existing weapons. Start a new campaign and open up the PHB or whatever resource you are using. Make a copy of all the weapons and just rename the copies to whatever name you want and then use export to create a module of your weapons. Open the module in your actual campaign and share it with your players so they can access it.

Now come on. There must be a difference than any martial weapons. Changing name doesn't make any difference.

Zacchaeus
November 20th, 2017, 22:10
Now come on. There must be a difference than any martial weapons. Changing name doesn't make any difference.

It was just a suggestion. Since 5e does not have exotic weapons you are free to make up whatever you want. You can change the weapon properties, do more or less damage etc; it is up to you. The answer you seek is that there are no exotic weapons in 5e. How you want to rectify that is for you to decide.

Full Bleed
November 20th, 2017, 23:03
5e just doesn't have the same differential weapon metrics that 3e-Pathfinder has. Most importantly there is no critical multiplier or critical threat range. So there isn't as much you can do to create Exotic weapons within the core 5e rules.

Here are the primary metrics you can play with to approximate earlier edition exotic weapons:

Base Damage
Finesse (Can use either STR or DEX mod for Atk/Dmg bonuses)
Heavy (Must be appropriate size to use)
Light (Qualifies for 2 weapon fighting)
Reach (Adds 5' to attack range)
Versatile (Can use one or two hands, and base damage changes accordingly)

JohnD
November 21st, 2017, 05:17
There was a mod somewhere that had exotic type weapons in it.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2017, 18:00
And whilst I was adding something to the modules sticky I saw this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30346-New-Weapons-Mod-for-D-amp-D-5e). Which might be what you are looking for.

ondercanergumus
November 22nd, 2017, 05:41
And whilst I was adding something to the modules sticky I saw this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30346-New-Weapons-Mod-for-D-amp-D-5e). Which might be what you are looking for.

Thank you so much. That's exactly what i am looking for. I hope this should help me.