PDA

View Full Version : NPC Superior Critial

pumpkinstew
November 18th, 2017, 09:38
I’m trying to adjust an NPC and I want to give them Superior Critical from the Champion class. The problem is that I can’t figure out how to write it so it makes it a crit on 18-20.

I can make it work for 19-20, but 18-20 just doesn’t seem to work.

Does anybody know how to get this to work, or can point to an example of an existing NPC that crits on an 18 so I can copy the text?

damned
November 18th, 2017, 11:02
I believe its not supported...

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2017, 11:17
Hey pumpkinstew, welcome to FG

There are no NPCs from the Monster Manual or Volos Guide which crits on anything other than a 20. So I'm surprised you get it to work on a 19. How are you doing that?
I'm not aware of any kind of wording which would allow an NPC to have the effect of critting on anything other than 20.

pumpkinstew
November 18th, 2017, 11:40
Hey pumpkinstew, welcome to FG

There are no NPCs from the Monster Manual or Volos Guide which crits on anything other than a 20. So I'm surprised you get it to work on a 19. How are you doing that?
I'm not aware of any kind of wording which would allow an NPC to have the effect of critting on anything other than 20.

Langdedrosa Cyanwrath from HotDQ has the following under Traits:
Improved Critical
Langdedrosa's weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

That adds an effect CRIT:19 when he's put on the combat tracker.

Playing around with it more, I've figured it out. I just need to create an effect 'CRIT:18' and it works. Not auto-added as I'd like but it will be easy enough to put on once they start to fight.

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2017, 11:51
So he does. FG seems to be keying off the name of the trait (i.e. 'Improved Critical') since you can put any wording you like for the text and it will still give you CRIT: 19 on the CT. Hence why your wording wouldn't have any effect.

pumpkinstew
November 18th, 2017, 12:10
So he does. FG seems to be keying off the name of the trait (i.e. 'Improved Critical') since you can put any wording you like for the text and it will still give you CRIT: 19 on the CT. Hence why your wording wouldn't have any effect.

Ah, I didn't play around with that thank you.

At least I now have a solution to make it work though.

damned
November 18th, 2017, 14:29
Good find pumpkinstew.

Trenloe
November 18th, 2017, 18:03
Yep, "improved critical" is specifically looked for in the 5E manager_combat2.lua file, as part of the parseNPCPower function.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2017, 21:13
Ooh, can I give all my NPCs "CRIT: 1"? Think my players will notice?

aidan8et
October 3rd, 2018, 03:17
Hopefully the OP has long since moved past the problem, but for anyone else...
Changing the title of the trait from "Improved Critical" to "Superior Critical" changes the crit effect on the tracker to [Crit:18]. The specific wording doesn't matter.

Bonkon
October 5th, 2018, 08:23
Ooh, can I give all my NPCs "CRIT: 1"? Think my players will notice?

Good Day :)

If you ask my players, they would tell you I already did this :)