PDA

View Full Version : Test connection: FAILURE

sorvan76
November 18th, 2017, 00:50
Even after opening port 1802 for incoming/outgoing traffic. On a BT homehub router.

I've spent a few pennies on this and done lots of work on my quest, and none of it works because my friends can't join. :(

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2017, 00:58
We'll need a bit of info to help you out.

- Do you have a router and a modem?
- Is your network set to private, home, work, or public?
- Is your Windows (?) firewall set to allow FG traffic?
- Do you have anti-virus installed? Does it have FG whitelisted?
- Does your ISP provide you with an IPv4 or an IPv6 address?
- Have you tried connecting from another computer on your network? Does it work?

After all that, Can you run a tracert 8.8.8.8 from a command window and post the first ten lines here?

sorvan76
November 18th, 2017, 01:44
- I only have a router
- It's set to home.
- Yes, both boxes are ticked in the settings.
- I've AVAST installed. Not sure how to access whitelist/
- I don't know. :(
- Yes, I've played on LAN once.

Myrdin Potter
November 18th, 2017, 01:54
It is not just a matter of opening the port, you need to forward it to the ip address your computer is on in your LAN.

https://portforward.com/ is a good source of information.

damned
November 18th, 2017, 01:56
Send me your email via PM if you want me to have a look with you.

sorvan76
November 18th, 2017, 01:58
It is not just a matter of opening the port, you need to forward it to the ip address your computer is on in your LAN.

https://portforward.com/ is a good source of information.

I'm not a computer expert, mate. Had no idea I'd have to google stuff like this.

Myrdin Potter
November 18th, 2017, 02:01
https://support.avast.com/en-in/article/25/

That is the instruction on how to open up your firewall if you need to.

I'm not a computer expert, this advice is from the forums here and the linked FAQ. :-)

If you want sure help, PM damned your email and he can take a look at it for you.

sorvan76
November 18th, 2017, 02:04
Thanks, I've PM'd him - and I'm sorry if I seemed abrupt. I do appreciate your help. Just frustrated with it lol.

sorvan76
November 18th, 2017, 02:30
Met an avatar of Damned. Helped. Thanks to all. :)

Myrdin Potter
November 18th, 2017, 02:46
If you know what he fixed, posting it in this thread could help others in the future.

sorvan76
November 18th, 2017, 03:05
If you know what he fixed, posting it in this thread could help others in the future.

I'm not sure precisely what he fixed, only that he fixed things. I can now GM from this system going out from this router in my house, if I want to GM from a different system in my house I only have to select it in router settings. Although, I'm so **** with computers, it may be a problem for me in the future.

I've no idea what's going to happen if I want to GM in somebody else's house using their router.

damned
November 18th, 2017, 04:14
sorvan76 had defined the traffic for FG (well mostly correctly) TCP 1802 to 1802.
But he had not (as Myrdin Potter suggested) actually applied the Port Forward rule to his computer.

sorvan76 I left instructions for you on how to change it to another computer.
It was something like:
Advanced -> Firewall -> Port Forward
and then change the Fantasy Grounds rule to point to whichever computer is currently GM.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2017, 21:01
sorvan76, don't feel about it and I don't think anyone thought you were being abrupt. We all get the frustration that this issue can cause. Glad you got things sorted and don't hesitate to ask again if something changes in the future.

Baron28
November 22nd, 2017, 01:24
I'm having the same problem. Damned, can I give you my teamview id and password?

sorvan76
November 22nd, 2017, 16:41
sorvan76, don't feel about it and I don't think anyone thought you were being abrupt. We all get the frustration that this issue can cause. Glad you got things sorted and don't hesitate to ask again if something changes in the future.

Ok, thank you. :)

sorvan76
November 22nd, 2017, 16:41
I'm having the same problem. Damned, can I give you my teamview id and password?

I see you fixed it in your other thread, glad you got it fixed. :)