PDA

View Full Version : FG CoC 7E for beginner GM

Mitzter
November 17th, 2017, 05:56
Hi all apologies if these things have been asked before. Some background - I would class myself as a relatively experienced player but new at GMing. I've been DMing a Curse of Strahd campaign with friends for couple of months so I get the basics of FG (even if there is much I can still learn).
The horror bug has bitten us and we are thinking of at least trying a few scenarios of CoC. None of us have played it before.
At the moment I have only purchased the 7e ruleset. I think I understand character creation but still have no idea on combat or chases yet. I will play around with these some more but some tutorials or videos would really help.
Anyway my questions are:
What is in the Investigators handbook? Do I want to purchase it or is everything in the ruleset (which I gather equates to the Keepers Guide)?
Many people recommend 'the haunting' as the quintessential first scenario. Is there some place I can get this for 7E? It came free with the quick start guide but on Fantasy Grounds seems to be included in only 6E. I know I could spend the time bringing it in from the pdf but I wanted to check first as I haven't built anything from scratch yet.

damned
November 17th, 2017, 06:08
Hi Mitzter really quick guide to the FG side of character creation here: https://www.diehard-gaming.com/manual/coc7e-character-creation.html
It wont teach you how to do the full character creation but will show you the proper way to do it in CoC 7e on FG.
Some steps might only work with the new build (go into the Test Channel and re run the updater to get it now) which is a week or so away.

The Investigators Handbook is a great players resource and gives lots ore player detail but is not required to play the game.

There are no included adventures in the CoC ruleset (there are in the soon to be released Pulp Cthulhu DLC) but you can use the 6e modules in 7e.
The 7e ruleset should make the NPC conversions mostly automatically (there will be an odd error here and there).

As to which adventure... Im not sure...

Sjelsyk
November 17th, 2017, 07:15
There are two included with the ruleset for 7E: Amidst the Ancient Trees and Crimson Letters. I haven't tried them myself, but I guess if not wanting to buy something else you could try one of them :)

Mitzter : I personally haven't run The Haunting myself, but I've read it and feel it's a bit overrated (though I might've thought otherwise if I ran it... who knows how people react to the situations), but one which both I as a GM and both of my groups loved was "Crack'd and Crook'd Manse" (https://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/The_Crack%27d_and_Crook%27d_Manse, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHA23110AFG2 ). We played it fairly early on with both groups, and they seemed to get into the ruleset fairly quickly with that one. (Of course, we played it with 6E, but there shouldn't be any problems to run it in 7E).

The Investigators Handbook is quite nice, mostly because it allows you to share the most important rules and information with the players without sharing it from the Keepers Guide (Similar to Players Handbook in D&D), but it also adds more (and more fleshed out) Occupations to choose from, which is probably one of the biggest pluses (sure you can make your own etc, but for players who are lazy at coming up with their own occupations and a skillset that is fitting for that this is very good).

As for combat, I haven't played any other rulesets in FG, but I assume the combat tracker works similar all across FG, and I guess some reading up on the rules will get you quickly up to speed on how it works in CoC compared to D&D. The chase system in 7E I haven't really used yet, so I can't comment much on that. I guess some adventures would rely on it more than others, and so far I just haven't found the use for it in the games I'm running.

Mitzter
November 17th, 2017, 07:53
Thanks for the quick replies.
Damned - when you say you can use the 6E modules in 7E, would it be possible to get these free scenarios if I haven't purchased the 6E ruleset?

You both have convinced me on getting the Investigators Handbook if we do a full campaign style.

damned
November 17th, 2017, 09:45
Thanks for the quick replies.
Damned - when you say you can use the 6E modules in 7E, would it be possible to get these free scenarios if I haven't purchased the 6E ruleset?

You both have convinced me on getting the Investigators Handbook if we do a full campaign style.

Sorry - they are two different products and they are all still copyright.
I had forgotten that Amidst the Ancient Trees and Crimson Letters were included in 7e.

Id run Amidst the Ancient Trees or download teh free Quickstart and run the Haunting from there: https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23131%20Call%20of%20Cthulhu%207th%20Edition%20Q uick-Start%20Rules.pdf