PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder to 5E Conversion?

vocaldc
November 14th, 2017, 15:49
I'm brand new to FG, but I see that each ruleset is customizeable. Has anyone customized the Pathfinder ruleset to emulate 5E? I want to run the Rise of the Runelords campaign, but in 5E. If someone knows how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Bidmaron
November 14th, 2017, 16:35
I believe you have been helped elsewhere but since you posted on the PF thread I will say that there would be no reason to do that. There is already a 5e ruleset. What I suspect you really mean is adapting PF material to 5e. To do that in a useful fashion would grossly violate copyright law. So no there haven’t been any such conversions that could be legally shared. Trenloe has helped you in the other thread with the best option there is but there will be a lot of work involved.
PF is a much richer ruleset. There will be a lot of stuff that won’t effectively make the transition. This is like converting a Porsche into A VW beetle. (My opinion)

vocaldc
November 14th, 2017, 16:59
Thanks for the reply, and yes, Trenloe helped me elsewhere. The reason to do it is that I purchased the Rise of the Runelords campaign on FG, which forces you to use the Pathfinder ruleset. My group has been running the RotR campaign on pen-and-paper for a couple years, but we converted to 5E rules, and I'd like to continue that on FG.

Bidmaron
November 14th, 2017, 17:15
It would be easier (and preferable as PF is a much richer ruleset than 5e) to convert your characters to PF and run it in Pathfinder. Full disclosure though: you would lose a couple of 5e bells and whistles SW hasn’t gotten around to adding to PF that are on 5e. The work to convert the modules to 5e is a lot more than converting a few characters to PF.

Trenloe
November 14th, 2017, 17:34
My group has been running the RotR campaign on pen-and-paper for a couple years, but we converted to 5E rules, and I'd like to continue that on FG.
You should be able to do that no problem - you get access to the base material (story, images/maps, etc.) with the extension mentioned in the other thread, and you just keep doing what you've been doing to convert what you need to 5E. You'll still save a lot of time having the base RotRL material available in the 5E ruleset.

As long as you don't publish/distribute any material you convert there is no copyright issue at all as it's for use in your own private game.

Run the game how you want to run it!

Bidmaron
November 14th, 2017, 18:12
Vocalcd I highly agree with Trenloe so please don’t let me dissuade you from something you want to do.

I just think we should give you an easier option in case you aren’t hard over.

vocaldc
November 14th, 2017, 18:58
Thanks so much for the help, Trenloe! Can't wait to get home from work and get to it!

No worries Bidmaron. We are set on 5E over Pathfinder, though. We've done them both and prefer 5E. Thanks though.

Bidmaron
November 14th, 2017, 21:42
Reasonable people will disagree, of course! More power to you, vocaldc! I hope it works out. Keep us posted.