PDA

View Full Version : LotR Coming to Amazon TV

LordEntrails
November 13th, 2017, 20:53
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/entertainment/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-amazon/index.html

Amazon just announce a "new epic journey" in Middle Earth that takes place before the Fellowship of the Ring. Sean Astin (aka Samwise Gamgee) is mentioned as a possible actor for the show.

Other than the announced license deal (which seems to include potential spin-offs), little is actually known at this point.

Bidmaron
November 13th, 2017, 21:13
Oh cool!

Mellock
November 13th, 2017, 21:34
Dude. Duuuuude. Take my money!

dunadan
November 17th, 2017, 02:28
I have to say that while I'm salivating at the prospect of more LotR content... I'm simultaneously extremely nervous about this.

Wonder how much will be canon from JRRT's writings? From a fan point of view, the downside is significantly larger than the upside (I'm sure the studio will still make their money regardless of the quality of the output!)

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2017, 02:40
I think it will probably have to follow as close to canon as the Jackson movies did. Depending on your views, that may be close or not *G*.

Mellock
November 17th, 2017, 08:19
I just watched the Hobbit movies again, and while I would have enjoyed them more if they had adhered to the book, I certainly enjoyed them. Sure, Tauriel wasn't in the book, but she was a cool wood elf. Gandalf's trip to Dol Guldur was full of cool visuals. And I absolutely loved Radagast. I'll stop here before I actually give spoilers :p

damned
November 17th, 2017, 09:33
I thought the original movies did a wonderful job of telling the big story.
The new movies were a lot looser with the story line but still a lot of fun.
What not to like about Tauriel?

Ken L
November 22nd, 2017, 17:54
How to butcher a cherished series 101.

Mellock
November 22nd, 2017, 18:28
I know they changed a lot, but I'm willing to let it stand as taking some artistic liberties with the story.

Lanifer
November 22nd, 2017, 20:24
Any guesses about debut dates for the series? I've been looking around and while the series is already confirmed nobody seems to have any idea on the possible release date.

LordEntrails
November 22nd, 2017, 21:11
Hey Lanifer, welcome to the forums.

I would guess 2019, but maybe summer 2018? Since the license deal was just announced, they still have to pull together script writers, actors and then schedule filming and then actual film it. I don't know how long that takes (I'm not in the industry), but I imagine that probably takes a year?

dunadan
December 4th, 2017, 04:43
Oh no! I just had a horror thought...

What if they go down the second Star Wars trilogy path? And think they need a "Jar Jar Binks" type character for the kids.

Urrggghhh!

damned
December 4th, 2017, 09:32
Oh no! I just had a horror thought...

What if they go down the second Star Wars trilogy path? And think they need a "Jar Jar Binks" type character for the kids.

Urrggghhh!

All of the main star wars line of movies had comical characters. Jar Jar was just the least likable...