PDA

View Full Version : New version in FG Test channel

ianmward
November 13th, 2017, 06:40
Hi all,

we've just pushed a new version of the ruleset to the TEST channel.

Please can some of you test this new version and give us feedback?

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR CAMPAIGN BEFORE TESTING or create a new campaign. There are a number of changes that will change the campaign (and might break something :-)

Highlights of this version are:
* Reorganised Personal Information tab on the PC sheet
* Skills object to allow you to create new custom skills with descriptions
* Link from skills on the character sheet to their object with descriptions
* Era object to allow you to create new custom eras
* Create new skills in the skills window (accessible from the library or sidebar if activated)
* Create new era in the eras window (accessible from the library or sidebar if activated)
* Drag skills from the skills window to the era (please remember to include the basic ones (Lang - Own, Lang - Other, Dodge...)
* Lock the Era
* Open the Campaign options and select the new era.
This should then allow you to create a new character and have its skills populate from the new era.
* Preparation for the Pulp Cthulhu supplement which is ready to go when the ruleset is validated.

Please comment here if you find any problems.

Thanks

Sjelsyk
November 13th, 2017, 09:45
First I want to say that I LOVE the look of the Personal Information now. This is so much better than how it was before - and I also love that Notes tab can be formatted now. I'm certain it will be used way more this way - so thanks a lot for those fixes :)

There's a chunk of new things I see. Funny how this weekend I was describing to my group how they could load Investigators Handbook if they wanted to look up, for example skills, and now there's an even better system for doing so from the Character sheet tab!

I haven't tested out the Era thing yet (though I'm looking at it as of writing), but I absolutely love the possibility of doing this myself from within FG, instead of having to "waste" some developers time on adding all these "not so often used" eras that you might need once in a life time - and also the possibility to create your own skills from the skill window. This is pretty amazing stuff!

I'll try to do some tests with it during the week, while I might not be able to test it in a game I can at least run some "dummy tests" to see if anything breaks or looks weird when doing so.

damned
November 13th, 2017, 09:55
Thank you Sjelsyk. Dont break it too badly!

Sjelsyk
November 13th, 2017, 11:23
Looking at skills, is there a way to choose that the base value of a skill is 1/2 of a Base stats?
For example while looking through "Cthulhu Through The Ages", Mythic Iceland has a skill named "Regional Knowledge" which base value is 1/2 INT.

At this point I can't see any way to add this in the given system, but would it be a quick fix to add that in case you run into those circumstances (making the Era and Skill editor even greater!)?
I would imagine something similar to how Specialization works (that it's hidden until you mark it), that you can mark something that says "Base value based on Stat" (In maybe a better worded line), and then it shows two drop down menus, one with the choice of 1/4,1/2 (or maybe just 25/50/75/100%) and then the second with the Stats like STR, CON, INT, EDU (etc). :)

I do however see that there's very few skills in 7E Eras that need this, but it would still be a fairly powerful option to have available.

damned, Hopefully I'm not able to break it at all!

damned
November 13th, 2017, 11:29
Hi Sjelsyk it seems that master ianmward has whats left of his sanity set on Cthulhu Thru The Ages being converted next... I keep saying Dungeon World but it looks like the madness has consumed him so you might be in luck... If it comes up in CttA then there is a fair chance that he will code something for the base ruleset to support it :)

Sjelsyk
November 13th, 2017, 11:43
That's great to hear damned, actually now that you mention it, I recall him mention that it was part of his plans to convert that book some time back when I was looking for a way to do eras myself. :)
It's not used a lot during the 7E update of these eras (I think 6E had a lot more of them if I recall correctly), but I mean, if it's not a lot of work to add then it would be a powerful addition to an already powerful system (I'd imagine it would only need a couple of variables and then a check if it's marked, then take those two variables (percentage or whatever, and stat name) place it into the database, xml or however things are stored backend in FG :D ). Then again, I do not know how much backend needs to be changed in order to implement that feature, but thought I should ask anyway :)

Muwak
November 15th, 2017, 22:44
Looks good, but i've got some issues with translation, can i get an updated strings_coc.xml?

Sjelsyk
November 16th, 2017, 18:25
Not sure how much it's been tested with upgrading from the old one, but most of the skills like Firearms Handgun etc, seem to have reverted to only "Firearms" and if you click on it, it only shows "New Skill" in the top. The same seemed to change when I logged out and logged back in, BUT the skill was nevertheless showing "New Skill" when I clicked on it. This is only when using an existing campaign from the previous version with this test version. There's also an issue with skill points when upgrading. It seems like many of the Occ points are moved to Personal points, bringing Personal in negative (overspent skill points) while Occupation Points are in the positive.

So basically, when UPGRADING to new version beware of (The Bad/needs to be fixed maybe?):
- Skill names with a sub-skill name seems to mess up. First it only showed many for example "Firearms" skills, then when I logged out and logged in again it showed them correctly (Firearms: Handguns), but clicking on them still gave me a blank "New Skill" tab.
- Skill points seems to mess up due to the above (or maybe something else, but I'm not sure). (See image, this was after I restarted FG so the Science skills show correctly here. Points are still a mess).

The good:
- Notes seems to be intact, even if it's all a pile of text now, BUT nothing seems to be lost, which is of course great. It's very easy to format it and present it in a 100 times better way now.

On a side note, which file do I need to delete to revert back to the old version (Live version)? Not gonna run a game until next weekend, but will do some prep work (running a campaign with books, so NPCs, Encounters etc needs to be added next week) and since some parts "break" on update, I figured I'm not gonna run with the "test" version next weekend at least, even if I'd love to if it didn't have issues with old skills vs new skills with description and skill points).

Muwak
November 16th, 2017, 22:24
There seems to be an issue with the effects. I always get this error:

Ruleset Error: window: Control(label) anchoring to an undefined control (leftanchor) in windowclass (ct_effect)

This happens either in our active Ruleset and in a completely new one

damned
November 17th, 2017, 00:56
Hi Muwak that is a cosmetic error and a fix is being applied.
Sjelsyk yours are going to take more work to understand and fix...

Sjelsyk
November 17th, 2017, 06:53
If you should need any more information I'll be happy to test more and do a step by step on what I did for this to occur, but the things mentioned above is more or less what I did (without taking notes with every step). It's a weird bug TBH, but I guess most bugs are, hah!

But yeah, what file are these updates being applied to? I might need to degrade back to the live version next week due to running a game then, but so far I've tried to delete "Call of Cthulhu.pak" in rulesets, and also "vault/CHAFGCOCCOC7ERS.dat", but it still seems to give me this version when I run the Update (Live) and start the campaign.

ianmward
November 17th, 2017, 07:27
Hi Sjelsyk,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to test this, I really appreciate it.

If you go back to the live channel and update it should revert you back, and the files you mention are the ones affected, so if you deleted them, you should not get the new version afterwards.

The new version does make changes to the campaign database though, so if you revert to the live version, you should also restore your campaign folder. (You did take a backup, like I suggested, right?)

I will put some work in this weekend to make sure the updating works properly, sorry for not getting that right. I did expect some issues, hence the Test channel.

Sjelsyk
November 17th, 2017, 07:36
ianmward: Yeah, I took backup of the campaign folder. I must've missed a step when attempting to revert. I'll look into that later today. Thanks.

And no problems, I assumed some issues since it's in the test channel. Better to spot it now than in the live version. :) Apart from those two things, I didn't see anything break, but I'll see if I can test more during the weekend. Mostly very positive about this update. Great work so far!

Sjelsyk
November 17th, 2017, 09:21
Tested to revert again, but it still doesn't revert back to previous version.

These are the steps I do:
FG -> Settings -> Change from "Test" to "Live" -> OK -> Update -> Close FG
Then I go to Data folder, delete campaign folder and copy the backup of "campaign" into the Data folder.
Go back into FG and open the campaign, and it's still the "Test" version, meaning the skills are sadly still a mess (even if they look good in the backup), and yeah it still shows all the new stuff (Era, Talents, Archtypes etc). If I attempt to start a new campaign as well it also shows all of these things.
I've also attempted after I removed the campaign folder and copied in the old one to go into Vault and delete previously mentioned file, and I've also removed ruleset "Call of Cthulhu", CoreRPG and SavageWorlds (since this was also updated as of recent, I thought just in case), but this doesn't seem to fix it either. I'm suspecting that the Test version might've spilled over to the "Live" version, OR maybe my FG is bugged with the "Live" and "Test" choices.

damned
November 17th, 2017, 09:27
It appears that it might have gotten pushed into the LIVE channel and not the TEST channel... I cant confirm that as Im always on the DEV build.
Can you post me some screen shots of the firearms issue and also of your db.xml and if you have a backup from before the update send that too...

Sjelsyk
November 17th, 2017, 09:51
Sent you a PM with links to the db.xml (both backup and updated after Test version), and also screenshots of the skills (In this case science, but it's the same with all sub-labeled skills).

ianmward
November 18th, 2017, 03:49
Thanks Sjelyk,

I have loaded up your campaign and done extensive testing, fixing all of the issues with upgrading. Thanks!

I'll get SmiteWorks to push the changes to Test again and ask you to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Ian

Sjelsyk
November 18th, 2017, 08:18
Great that the campaign db helped, and great that you found a fix for the issues this quickly!

I'll keep watch at the "Test" channel so I can update and test out the new build asap. :) Thanks!

Sjelsyk
November 18th, 2017, 18:36
ianmward , I've updated to the new version, and it works flawlessly as far as I can see. I also went in to see if something had happened on the skills front, and lo and behold - you've fixed that as well with stats and the 1, 1/2, 1/5 :D That's great work! Did not expect it to come this quickly tbh, but I'm really happy that it do. Thanks a lot for that!

The only thing I've found apart from what you've fixed is this very cosmetic (and non-critical) thing, which might've always been there but I somehow came over it now. If you tab over the stats, when you come to "Move" it only selects the upper right corner of the field, hah. Doesn't really matter, but thought I should point it out anyway.

I'll do some more throughout the weekend, but it's definitely a lot better now. :) Once again thanks for the good work that you guys put into the ruleset.

Edit: I might post this in the "improvements I'd like to see" post, but I'll mention it here as well since now after the personal page upgrade, I feel the Inventory is lacking :D Would be nice if the Inventory field would push the below fields down, so you'd just have to scroll on the overall page and not individual fields :) Not sure how others feel about that, but I'd like that at least. Because it's possible to expand the Character sheet vertically, so if you have a long inventory and you'd like to see the fields below as well, then you can just expand it vertically.

ianmward
November 18th, 2017, 23:03
The only thing I've found apart from what you've fixed is this very cosmetic (and non-critical) thing, which might've always been there but I somehow came over it now. If you tab over the stats, when you come to "Move" it only selects the upper right corner of the field, hah. Doesn't really matter, but thought I should point it out anyway.
This is a feature, not a bug. The Move field is calculated but allows you to add a modifier. The little square is where you can add a modifier by ctrl-scroll up and down.

Edit: I might post this in the "improvements I'd like to see" post, but I'll mention it here as well since now after the personal page upgrade, I feel the Inventory is lacking :D Would be nice if the Inventory field would push the below fields down, so you'd just have to scroll on the overall page and not individual fields :) Not sure how others feel about that, but I'd like that at least. Because it's possible to expand the Character sheet vertically, so if you have a long inventory and you'd like to see the fields below as well, then you can just expand it vertically.
I’ll take a look and see what it would look like before I decide.

Sjelsyk
November 18th, 2017, 23:19
@Move field: Oh, did not know I could do that (I knew the plus and minus with the check-boxes on the right, but did not know I could scroll there). Learn something new everyday, hah! To be honest it's not that often I tab around on the sheet like that either so I just haven't spotted that field before.

@Inventory: Please do. It might be worse for all I know, but in my mind it seems like a better thing to just scroll on the overall page instead of individual parts of the page. Thanks for looking into it.

Sjelsyk
November 19th, 2017, 18:44
Also looking through the skills and I've found some mistakes in the text, very minor stuff though and it doesn't really break anything, but just thought I should point out that these (and probably others - I'll update this post with the mistakes I see, but I might also overlook something in a quick read-through):

Skills (NOT IN REFERENCE MANUAL) found on character sheet:
Archaeology says: "On inspecting a site, the user might deduce the purposes and way of life of those who le the remains" and should be "Those who left the remains". Also there's "Regular difficulty: su cient time", which should be " sufficient time"
Arts/Craft (Fine Art) says: "e skill also denotes" which should be "The skill also denotes"
Cthulhu Mythos says: "This skill re ects understanding of the inhuman (Lovecra ian)", which should be "reflects" and "Lovecraftian".
Firearms says: "Covers all manners of rearms" and should be "of firearms".

These (expect for Firearms) are correct in the Reference Manual, so I guess copy/pasting from that one would be better, seeing as I also get the same missing letters when I try to copy paste these paragraphs from the PDF (for some weird reasons).

@Firearms in Reference Manual: I rarely go reading through the manual since I've already done it in the books, but when I was looking to see if the Reference Manual had the same mistakes as the Skills I noticed that the Firearms page is wrong. It shows a totally different page than what it should (Skills -> Firearms show Combat -> Firearms). Not anything to do with this test update, but worth nothing for future updates :)

While I'm at it, other skills that I also looked through before taking a break (those linked on the character sheet):

Accounting: "nancial" instead of financial, "di culty" instead of "difficulty", "ndings" instead of "findings", "co ee" instead of "coffee".
Art/Craft: Forgery: "e forger" instead of "The forger"
Art/Craft: Photography: "di erent" instead of "different", "e ective" instead of "effective"
Charm: "a ection" instead of "affection", "di erent" instead of "different", "o ence" instead of "offence".
Climb: "rmness" instead of "firmness", "a ect" instead of "affect", "rst" instead of "first", "su er" instead of "suffer".

damned
November 19th, 2017, 20:56
Hi Sjelsyk I can only see the last error on my books?
Which manuals are you seeing the missing f's in?

Sjelsyk
November 19th, 2017, 21:02
damned, it's when you click on the skills in the character sheet, with the updated ruleset.

Gubben
November 26th, 2017, 21:15
Looks good, but i've got some issues with translation, can i get an updated strings_coc.xml?

Did you get those files? I wolud like to make spanish translation... Thanks

Muwak
November 26th, 2017, 22:29
Figured it out myself, its pretty much the same as it used to be but they added some stuff do make skills on the partysheet work.

ianmward
November 26th, 2017, 23:12
Figured it out myself, its pretty much the same as it used to be but they added some stuff do make skills on the partysheet work.

We will provide a reference extension for translation soon. This will also allow translation of the skill names & descriptions.