PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question: Can I set the data folder to a cloud storage?

mjhandy
November 12th, 2017, 01:03
I haven't bought anything yet as I'm still reading through things, but I was wondering how I could install on my desktop and laptop. One idea I had was to set the data folder to my OneDrive storage, which syncs between my desktop and laptop. I'm assuming this is where are characters are saved, as well as add ons. Would something like this work?

dulux-oz
November 12th, 2017, 01:17
Hi mjhandy, and Welcome! to the Community,

No, that's generally recognised as a "bad idea" as people have reported data corruption when doing this. Storing a backup copy of the database is OK, you just cab't run it from a Cloud service.

On a related note: If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

LordEntrails
November 12th, 2017, 02:20
If you need it, there is a backup script on the forum here that you can use to copy to and from your FG data directory to your cloud storage. Just let us know if need help.

damned
November 12th, 2017, 02:23
If you do decide to point the data drive at cloud storage - turn off sync before and during any time that FG is running.
Resume sync once you have finished with FG today.

mjhandy
November 12th, 2017, 02:58
Thanks guys. I just made the plunge and bought the core and all the guide. I play more than I DM. I'll let it all update, then adjust so I'm not saving to my cloud storage.

Cheers!