PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ports (not the pirate kind)

Milke
November 11th, 2017, 19:06
Okay. I was reading that, to connect players to the game on here, I have to change my port on my computer.
What if I'm using my 4g hotspot from my phone? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Any ideas?

Andraax
November 11th, 2017, 19:51
You need to edit the startup command on your computer. Add "-p4567" where 4567 is the port you want FG to use. All your players need this as well.

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2017, 19:59
By default, FG uses port 1802. Depending upon your modem etc, you may need to Port Forward from your modem/router to your computer. Each device has a different way to do taht, and you can look it up on portforward.com. As Andraax says, you can change the port FG uses with the command he gave.

But, also be aware that many hotspots do not support port forwarding. If that is the case, you might have to use a VPN like PureVPN or Hamachi. There are threads on both on the forums.

Milke
November 11th, 2017, 20:04
Okay. It all sounds a bit complicated. But luckily one of my best friends is the head of I.T. at the local OSU campus. I'll tell him about the editing commands and all of that. Thanks!

Myrdin Potter
November 11th, 2017, 21:17
My experience in using a 4g hotspot via my phone was that I needed to run a VPN (PureVPN is known to work with the dedicated IP option) on the computer. I was able to avoid this when I had the hotspot plugged into a router because the router handled the ports, but you generally cannot do that with a phone.

damned
November 11th, 2017, 22:52
Okay. I was reading that, to connect players to the game on here, I have to change my port on my computer.
What if I'm using my 4g hotspot from my phone? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Any ideas?

Hi Milke if Im reading your question right you are suggesting that you HAVE to change ports? No. But you have to be able to accept incoming connections on TCP 1802. As the guys before me point out this is rarely possible on a mobile connection.
Both the PureVPN/Hamachi and certain other VPN solutions will allow this to work.
If you do need to change the port Andraaxs command is correct and both you and players need to do the same.