PDA

View Full Version : CT & Token Confusion

not_so_there
November 9th, 2017, 16:00
I have some confusion between Token and Combat Tracker visibility.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Visibility says
NPC token visibility can be toggled through the GM combat tracker between always invisible and mask-sensitive visibility. For other tokens, the default visibility is mask-sensitive.

Using Sunless Citadel I am adding encounters to a map with the a mask on. They appear in the combat tracker and on the map, but unmasking does not make them appear either place. Manually setting the token visibility to the mask makes them appear on the map, but not on the combat tracker. Is that as intended and I am not understanding how to use it properly?

celestian
November 9th, 2017, 16:14
If you want them to show in the combat tracker you need to toggle their visibility there. Click on the eyeball to the left of their entry in the CT. Unless I am missing something the visibility toggles on the map are just for the map and do not relate to the CT.

Zacchaeus
November 9th, 2017, 16:18
As celestian says visibility is determined firstly by whether they are toggled visible on the CT. This makes the NPCs visible on the CT and on the map; unless they are under the Fog of War in which case they remain invisible on the map.

not_so_there
November 9th, 2017, 16:24
If you want them to show in the combat tracker you need to toggle their visibility there. Click on the eyeball to the left of their entry in the CT. Unless I am missing something the visibility toggles on the map are just for the map and do not relate to the CT.

TY, I was initially making the assumption there was a connection between the two and became confused.

not_so_there
November 9th, 2017, 16:26
As celestian says visibility is determined firstly by whether they are toggled visible on the CT. This makes the NPCs visible on the CT and on the map; unless they are under the Fog of War in which case they remain invisible on the map.

So if set to visible on the CT, but under the fog of on the map should they still be visible on the tracker?

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2017, 16:27
Learned something new today :)
Never knew there was a visibility other than on the CT.

Zacchaeus
November 9th, 2017, 17:50
So if set to visible on the CT, but under the fog of on the map should they still be visible on the tracker?

Yes. If a token is made visible on the CT then it will be shown on the CT. If you move a token back under the FOW and don't want the players to see it on the CT make it invisible again on the CT

not_so_there
November 9th, 2017, 18:04
Originally doing a larger map than I have previously I was going to pre-load all the encounters but it made the CT hard to sort though. Do most users just end up adding encounters for just areas users could go next or just add them as the users move into those rooms?

Kurazo
November 9th, 2017, 18:33
If you prepare the encounter parcel and load it to your map, when you clic on the arrow to put them on the CT, it will place them on the map previously prepare.
So you don't overkill the CT with all the encounter.

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2017, 18:42
Originally doing a larger map than I have previously I was going to pre-load all the encounters but it made the CT hard to sort though. Do most users just end up adding encounters for just areas users could go next or just add them as the users move into those rooms?
If you haven't read the attachment here, I highly recomend it if you are creating your own content; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

not_so_there
November 13th, 2017, 13:55
If you haven't read the attachment here, I highly recomend it if you are creating your own content; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

In this case I'm running a game and not creating content but I will look though it.

When running a game do you have suggestions for how to manage neutrals? In sunless there are a bunch of Kobolds or Goblins who don't have to be hostel to the players. They then end up in the combat tracker hidden after leaving an area if I have moved them and want them to stay there but it makes it hard for me to sort through.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2017, 14:54
You can click on the skull icon on the encounter to change the faction of the NPCs to neutral (or friendly) before placing them on the CT. If the NPC is already on the CT clicking the skull icon on the CT will cycle through the faction of the NPC (Enemy, neutral, friendly). If an NPC is out of the PCs line of sight you can click the invisible icon on the CT. If you then select the option to skip invisible actors in the options menu the CT will skip over any invisible creatures during combat.

not_so_there
November 13th, 2017, 15:59
You can click on the skull icon on the encounter to change the faction of the NPCs to neutral (or friendly) before placing them on the CT. If the NPC is already on the CT clicking the skull icon on the CT will cycle through the faction of the NPC (Enemy, neutral, friendly). If an NPC is out of the PCs line of sight you can click the invisible icon on the CT. If you then select the option to skip invisible actors in the options menu the CT will skip over any invisible creatures during combat.

I was more looking to a way to sort them out as the DM so I could find things in the CT list easier. E.g. player asks me something about one of the current enemies so I have to find them in the list to open it's data. The NPC are for the kobolds in SC has like 40 of them in it.

LordEntrails
November 13th, 2017, 16:12
I don't know of any way to sort the CT other than by initiative order. I just don't leave NPCs on the CT once the party moves out of the area. I'll use the encounter function to re-add them to the CT as needed at a later time.

Trenloe
November 13th, 2017, 16:13
...so I could find things in the CT list easier. E.g. player asks me something about one of the current enemies so I have to find them in the list to open it's data.
If the creature in the CT has a token on the map, then double-click the token and it will open the NPC record from the CT for the creature associated with the token.

not_so_there
November 13th, 2017, 19:00
If the creature in the CT has a token on the map, then double-click the token and it will open the NPC record from the CT for the creature associated with the token.

Awesome, thank you. Do you happen to know off hand if the NPC name can display on the token? I was not seeing an option in the settings and was not sure where it might be.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2017, 19:07
Go to options --> Token (GM) --> Token: Show Name and click it until it shows 'Title'

Trenloe
November 13th, 2017, 19:10
Hovering the mouse over the token will also display the creature name as a tooltip.

JohnD
November 13th, 2017, 21:55
You are having the CT auto number them too, right?

not_so_there
November 14th, 2017, 13:36
You are having the CT auto number them too, right?

Yes. I was also looking at the one extension which adds some random names to identify them.
Thank you Zacchaeus and Trenloe as well.