PDA

View Full Version : What the "F" (copy/paste issues with F in the text)

celestian
November 7th, 2017, 03:00
So this is probably a common question but I couldn't seem to find a topic with the searches I tried.

When I copy paste text into a "story" (typically from a PDF, not just one, ALL) that contains "f" it acts very strange. A lot of times the character after the F will be missing, if it's "I" after the "F" (such as find) it will show up as "f?nd". Fly has shown up as ?y.

Is there a way to keep this from happening because it causes a ton of extra review to find and fix all of them.

LordEntrails
November 7th, 2017, 03:08
Someone once said what caused this and I remember reading up on it. I want to say it had to do with "ligatures" or something. It was something about various fonts having the combination of two characters represented by one. This is so that the spacing between the letters looks ideal and not like unicode or equal spaces.

I haven't found a way around this myself. Hopefully someone else does..?

celestian
November 7th, 2017, 03:19
Someone once said what caused this and I remember reading up on it. I want to say it had to do with "ligatures" or something. It was something about various fonts having the combination of two characters represented by one. This is so that the spacing between the letters looks ideal and not like unicode or equal spaces.

I haven't found a way around this myself. Hopefully someone else does..?

Now that you mention it that is probably something I've read about.

Bah, after checking the PDF, sure enough it's not FG its the damn PDF. OCR sucked apparently or something.

Ignore me, I thought this was a FG thing and it's clearly not ;(

Andraax
November 7th, 2017, 03:19
Ligatures in the font.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature#Stylistic_ligatures

LordEntrails
November 7th, 2017, 04:00
Hey! I had the term correct. Wow, I'm impressed my memory served :)

rob2e
November 7th, 2017, 17:32
Ligatures! The bane of my existence. I use Notepad++ and wrote macros to eliminate the ligatures and replace with fl, fi, whatever. Don't know a better way.

trobadork
November 7th, 2017, 18:14
I had this thing with Foxit Reader. I used another reader (just... Edge) and now my "fi" are corrects.

celestian
November 7th, 2017, 18:56
I had this thing with Foxit Reader. I used another reader (just... Edge) and now my "fi" are corrects.

Hum, I use Foxit. I just tested using Adobe Reader (Free one) and it didn't have the problem. Guess I'm going to have to use it from now on for this.

It at least didn't have the same problems Foxit had in the areas I tested.