PDA

View Full Version : Restore a deleted NPC

WhatTheDeef
November 3rd, 2017, 08:25
Hi,

I accidentally deleted an NPC from the Curse of Strahd module in the NPC window and was wondering if it was possible to recover it in some way or if I would need to manually type in all the information myself instead. I tried unloading and reloading the module but that didn't fix my issue. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you

spite
November 3rd, 2017, 09:35
You can reset the module to its original state by right clicking and hitting "Undo changes" on the modules window.

This will undo any other changes to NPCs/Maps/ITems/Stories in the Curse of Strahd that you've made though. S

damned
November 3rd, 2017, 09:39
Close FG.
Open FG and on the splash screen hit the explorer icon top right.
Go to campaigns. Go to your CoS campaign.
Find the db.xml and rename it. Find one from a little earlier and copy it to db.xml and open your campaign in FG and check for your PC.
Repeat until you locate the PC.
You can export the PC and then load your original db.xml and import or just keep using that db.xml

damned
November 3rd, 2017, 09:39
hahahhaha - crap. I read it as PC! Doh!
Do what spite says!

Andraax
November 3rd, 2017, 14:36
You can reset the module to its original state by right clicking and hitting "Undo changes" on the modules window.

This will undo any other changes to NPCs/Maps/ITems/Stories in the Curse of Strahd that you've made though. S

Or, if you have other edits you'd like to preserve, you can open the file "DD Curse of Strahd.xml" in the moduledb folder under your campaign folder, and find the line with the deleted NPC (will look something like this: "<id-00129 type="deleted" />", the id number might be different) and delete that line. Do this while FG IS NOT RUNNING. Then, reload your campaign. You should still have all the other edits, but the NPC should be back.

bambam57
October 31st, 2018, 02:54
Hey there, I'm having a similar issue, I accidentally deleted the blackguard, an npc in the SRD. I followed these steps and reset the modules to default settings but the npc is still gone. Can anyone help?

damned
October 31st, 2018, 03:00
Welcome bambam57

In teh Data Module Activation window right click on the parent module and use the Revert Changes button.

bambam57
October 31st, 2018, 03:04
@damned , thank you for the quick response, I tried that, all of my modules I have are reset back now and it's still not showing up. It's not the end of the world to put it in myself but I want to know how to make it work in case I accidentally delete a much more complicated npc.

damned
October 31st, 2018, 03:21
I tested the steps on my machine and they definitely worked.
You can close FG and load up the campaign db.xml and remove the "delete" record manually with a text editor.

bambam57
October 31st, 2018, 03:38
Thank you for your help. I tried searching for the word "delete" but nothing showed up. I am just going to remake the npc from the book I have. Thanks for the help, I'm not sure why I'm unable to replicate what you are able to do on your machine.

Trenloe
October 31st, 2018, 09:59
Thank you for your help. I tried searching for the word "delete" but nothing showed up.
It wouldn’t have been in the db.xml file, the delete would have been in a file with the module name in the campaign moduledb directory. If the file isn’t there, then you’ve reverted changes correctly previously.

I am just going to remake the npc from the book I have. Thanks for the help, I'm not sure why I'm unable to replicate what you are able to do on your machine.
In the NPC data window (accessed from the right sidebar) select "All" from the group list at the top of the window and see if the NPC appears in that list.

damned
October 31st, 2018, 10:53
It wouldn’t have been in the db.xml file, the delete would have been in a file with the module name in the campaign moduledb directory. If the file isn’t there, then you’ve reverted changes correctly previously.

Errr - my bad.

bambam57
October 31st, 2018, 11:51
I'm not seeing any changes in the moduleb folder, so I must have done the default settings reset correctly. I also added the npc list with all selected as an attachment. The two blackguards listed in my picture attachment are ones I recreated once the default settings did not work.

I am fairly new to this so I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious to get the deleted npc back.

Trenloe
October 31st, 2018, 13:26
I'm not seeing any changes in the moduleb folder, so I must have done the default settings reset correctly. I also added the npc list with all selected as an attachment. The two blackguards listed in my picture attachment are ones I recreated once the default settings did not work.

I am fairly new to this so I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious to get the deleted npc back.
I don't see an NPC called "Blackguard" in Curse of Strahd, D&D Basic, SRD or Monster Manual. Which module was it in originally?

Andraax
October 31st, 2018, 14:24
After you did the revert, did you close and reopen the module?

Trenloe
October 31st, 2018, 14:55
So, there's a Blackguard NPC in Volo's Guide to Monsters - which you don't have open (based off the screenshots). Is that the NPC you're looking for?

bambam57
November 1st, 2018, 01:47
I had closed/reopened it. Honestly, not sure where I thought I had that npc, maybe I created it earlier and deleted that one thinking it was an original one from a module. I created a new campaign and it is not there so I must have been mistake. Thank you all for answering my questions even if this was just user error.