PDA

View Full Version : Saving? Saving What?

sitarlo
February 28th, 2006, 18:26
My friend and I just purchased FG so we could continue our playing even though we live on different coasts. Thanks for creating and supporting FG.

Now, can someone please tell me what gets saved when the "campaign saved" message pops up in the chat box? From what I can tell, nothing is saved beyond masks and drawings. When I exited my first session as GM, I expected to reload the campaign in the exact state it was "saved"-including chat history, windows open and shared, etc... But, this isn't the case at all.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
DP

TruthRevisited
February 28th, 2006, 18:51
I know the chat history saves, but I am not sure when it overrights, or if it does. You have to view teh chatlog though, as I dont think there is a way to bring it back up into the game.

TR

richvalle
February 28th, 2006, 19:01
Its the campaign that is saved.

Characters, npc's, maps, story pages, ect, ect.

The chat log is saved in the campaign directory as an html file.

rv

gurney9999
February 28th, 2006, 21:34
And the chat file does not overwrite itself... meaning if you do not edit the html file and play twenty sessions using that campaign you will have logs for all twenty sessions within that one chatlog.html file

SurlyDwarf
February 28th, 2006, 23:47
I am taking this out of context only and mixing in a bit of software experience... but my guess would be that it means that it is a sort of checkpoint. That all open files are flushed out to disk in a consistent way so that they all sahre the same state... but, maybe we'll get lucky and one of the devs will put me out of my speculative misery. :)

ijsbeer
March 1st, 2006, 15:31
When you stop your adventure half way, only the chatreports are saved?? Is it possible to reload those in the chat screen

Slowly FG is becoming clear to me. You can really do a lot of nice stuff with it. I can not wait before I have the full version. GREAT

gurney9999
March 1st, 2006, 18:12
When you stop your adventure half way, only the chatreports are saved?? Is it possible to reload those in the chat screen
You cannot reload the chat window through the gui. Many GMs take the chatlog and send it out to players between sessions. There is a chatlog stripper joshuha did that is housed on the FUM site that will allow you to strip out things like whispers, OOC, system messages, etc.

And when you say "only the chat reports are saved"... as stated above any changes to other items (story pages, NPCs, maps, character sheets, etc.) are saved as well.

sitarlo
March 3rd, 2006, 23:10
Thank you all for the excellent feedback. What I'm going to do is just leave the game running and not close FG because what I really want is for the software to remember it's *exact* state from the GM POV between sessions. Adding this feature would probably be a good idea. Like many FG users, we don't have more than a few hours a week to play (jobs, wives, kids, ddo, etc...) so it would be nice if FG *automagically* let us pick up where we left off. That would be sweet.

Thanks Again,
DP

richvalle
March 4th, 2006, 04:53
Your experiance may be different... but I've had problems with leaving FG running for a long period of time. It eventually locks up and I have to shut it down and restart it.

If you are going to do this, make sure you don't have a screen saver that kicks in... FG and screen savers don't mix well.

rv

ZoneWombat
April 2nd, 2006, 04:16
And the chat file does not overwrite itself... meaning if you do not edit the html file and play twenty sessions using that campaign you will have logs for all twenty sessions within that one chatlog.html file

Gurney, thanks for clarifying this! I went to look for the chatlog after the second session we played and initially thought it hadn't saved because the first screen looked the same...for whatever weird reason the file's modified date hadn't changed.

Toadwart
April 2nd, 2006, 20:43
Thank you all for the excellent feedback. What I'm going to do is just leave the game running and not close FG because what I really want is for the software to remember it's *exact* state from the GM POV between sessions. Adding this feature would probably be a good idea. Like many FG users, we don't have more than a few hours a week to play (jobs, wives, kids, ddo, etc...) so it would be nice if FG *automagically* let us pick up where we left off. That would be sweet.

Thanks Again,
DP

Would be nice, my cludgy solution for now is just to press the printscreen button at the end of a session (dumps a screenshot into the Fantasy Ground folder). I then use that screenshot at the start of the next session to get FG set up again.