PDA

View Full Version : Effect For A Luckstone?

JHale1966
October 31st, 2017, 22:48
I received a Luckstone from our game last night and not sure how to code it as an effect I can place on my character.

Does anyone already have an effect built?

Thanks!

Jim

Zacchaeus
October 31st, 2017, 22:55
I’ll need reminding on what that does, but I have a feeling that there’s no effect that will cover that.

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2017, 23:17
https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/stone-of-good-luck-luckstone.html

+1 to ability checks and saves. I think you can do the save part (SAV:1) but would have to check the wiki to be sure. Don't know if you can give an effect for ability checks, again, would have to look at the wiki. and I've got to head out the door in just a moment.

Zacchaeus
October 31st, 2017, 23:24
Ah ok, well I was wrong. The effects you need are CHECK: 1; SAVE: 1

JHale1966
November 1st, 2017, 01:25
So I would list the effect as "LuckStone; CHECK: 1; SAVE: 1" (without the quotes?)

MOD: corrected syntax

LordEntrails
November 1st, 2017, 01:27
Almost, use a semi-colon after the descriptor. So;
LuckStone; CHECK: 1; SAVE: 1

JHale1966
November 1st, 2017, 01:30
Great! Thank you. :)

JohnD
November 1st, 2017, 01:48
Good to know.

MarianDz
November 1st, 2017, 12:43
Great!!
btw can't we have somewhere on FG forum "Magic Items" sections for links as this?
Very usefull informations for all new players?

I found here but mixed inside 5E or Healing forums:
Luckstone
Cloak of Displacement
Holy Water as an attack
How to add ammo to a weapon - Silver Arrows
Mage Armor
Magic Item Effects and Scroll usage - Ring of Protection
Sentinel Shield - Passive Bonus
Giant slaying sword setup
Custom spell for Amulent of Ravenkind
New Magic Item That All Creatures Can Use_ - Spell Grenade
Two damage types simultaneously
Weapon ability - make save or be knocked prone
Bleed out damage (homebrew)
Add Recharge to breath weapon
etc...

LordEntrails
November 1st, 2017, 20:36
Great!!
btw can't we have somewhere on FG forum "Magic Items" sections for links as this?
Very usefull informations for all new players?

I found here but mixed inside 5E or Healing forums:
Luckstone
Cloak of Displacement
Holy Water as an attack
How to add ammo to a weapon - Silver Arrows
Mage Armor
Magic Item Effects and Scroll usage - Ring of Protection
Sentinel Shield - Passive Bonus
Giant slaying sword setup
Custom spell for Amulent of Ravenkind
New Magic Item That All Creatures Can Use_ - Spell Grenade
Two damage types simultaneously
Weapon ability - make save or be knocked prone
Bleed out damage (homebrew)
Add Recharge to breath weapon
etc...

:) Start a New thread with an appropriate title, put all the links you can find in it, ask the moderators to add it to the 5E resources thread and then keep it up to date and we will all be thankful to you :)

Also make sure you check out the effects threads, as they might have more exmaples or at least be a good reference.

L337Monk
May 2nd, 2020, 01:08
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but super new to fantasy grounds and all of this is crazy overwhelming. Where do you actually place the effect? Is it somewhere in the powers tab? Can you actually apply it to the item itself so that when it's equipped it will just "work"?

Scuba72
May 2nd, 2020, 02:30
Short answer - Effects go in the actions tab under powers. Effects are created by right clicking on that tab under powers and selecting add effect then selecting what type of effect it is.
No you cant apply an effect directly to an item. Effects are applied to characters but you can create effects that never expire ( like fire resistance) or effects that expire on the next roll and just about everything in between.
Relax, do some reading, and watch some videos, then jump in a have fun. Im a head first kinda guy myself and yes this system can easily overwhelm anyone, and with a quickness.

Long Answer -
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information
Start here if you're new. I just started about a month ago and after watching some of the videos in this thread, I've already started playing around with trying to create my own effects.
For a lot of the effects I use this page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects)
and for access to a ton of very helpful folks, you may want to try joining the discord as well. https://discord.gg/VKbhkSt

Beemanpat
May 2nd, 2020, 03:10
Not sure if your using FGC or FGU.
This extension definitely works for FGC.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)

It will let you add effects to items, the effect is added and removed when toggled from carried/equipped in the inventory tab.
Give the thread a read it should explain better than me writing it all out. If you still have questions let us know.

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2020, 10:43
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but super new to fantasy grounds and all of this is crazy overwhelming. Where do you actually place the effect? Is it somewhere in the powers tab? Can you actually apply it to the item itself so that when it's equipped it will just "work"?

These videos will help you get started with effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

Apocrypha
March 27th, 2021, 00:07
LuckStone: CHECK: 1; SAVE: 1

In Unity doesn't seem work for skills...or ability checks for that matter. Just saves

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2021, 01:39
You should have a semi colon after the luckstone not a colon Luckstone;CHECK:1;SAVE:1

Apocrypha
March 27th, 2021, 02:30
Ah, yes. My fault for just copying/pasting from the post above. All works now. Luckstone; CHECK: 1;SAVE: 1;SKILL: 1

claycub
March 30th, 2021, 21:13
LuckStone;CHECK:1;SAVE:1 - No spaces, Correct use of Colon/Semi-Colon - ENJOY!

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2021, 21:20
LuckStone:CHECK:1;SAVE:1 - No spaces, Correct use of Colon/Semi-Colon - ENJOY!

You have a colon after LuckStone - it should be a semi-colon.

Apocrypha
March 30th, 2021, 21:45
You have a colon after LuckStone - it should be a semi-colon.

And that is why I had a problem in the first place. Copying/pasting someone else's mistake. For the record this is what worked for me (spaces and all):

Luckstone; CHECK: 1;SAVE: 1;SKILL: 1

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2021, 21:58
And that is why I had a problem in the first place. Copying/pasting someone else's mistake. For the record this is what worked for me (spaces and all):

Luckstone; CHECK: 1;SAVE: 1;SKILL: 1

Not sure about the skill part. CHECK: 1 will give a +1 bonus to all checks - including skill (and initiative) checks. If you also include SKILL: 1 then you'll be getting a +2 bonus to all skill rolls instead of +1.

Apocrypha
March 30th, 2021, 22:15
I guess I better double CHECK that.