PDA

View Full Version : Sigil (5e Homebrew Class)

ArteF
October 29th, 2017, 03:21
Hello, this is a class I finished.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/225121/The-Sigil

You can also find the module of the class for fantasy grounds below.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/227559/The-Sigil-Fantasy-Grounds-Module

Originally the class was named Warden but that was taken, I changed it to Vallator but it didn't match the point of the class.

At this point I'm more working on putting together the lore behind the class than mechanics so YAY!

There will be a Fantasy Grounds module for the class, in due time but for right now if you want to make a PC or NPC using this class you'll need to go with the PDF.

I'm really happy to have come this far with this class.

The section: "Thanks and everything under the sun" is for DMs really but anyone can go through it just beware of spoilers.

There's so much lore I want to do for this now that things have come together and I will.

Presently the bulk is found in the DM section but I'll be working in some with the flavor sections of the class as well.

Between Pandorym and Her Serenity a 2000+ year story of lost histories and misrememberings will also soon be available.

Okay, thanks again to some very kind folks here on Fantasy Grounds also for your kind words through this process!

ArteF
October 31st, 2017, 23:01
Updates:
These updates are not yet on the PDF however, they are done and will be released in a week or so. I will try to set specific intervals but really, it comes down to getting some opinions and testing some things out. Not all updates include changes to any mechanics; most are typographical fixes, art remastering or lore changing.

This class’s lore is presently being worked on and I hope you folks enjoy it as much as I enjoy doing the research to make it right.
1. Art Work 2nd Page Fixed
2. Corrected Spelling of Trigger in Natural Expertise section
3. Added 90-feet range on the Undaunted Scythe of Neutrality’s Rend
4. Clarified that concentration is required for Chaos Trigger
5. Clarified that Chaos Trigger (CT) is single target
6. Deleted an extra “the” in the Undaunted Scythe description
7. Added “spent” to the second part of Eldritch Trapper to point out that CP are used
8. I removed the 30-feet limit on Chaos Trigger because of the damage prerequisite
9. A mechanic was added to CT for disadvantage on concentration checks for the target

Testing on this update:

The largest change is the removal of the 30-feet limit on CT. The reason why it happened is because of the requirement that was added to the damage portion in the previous update before the launch of this PDF.

Essentially the damage requires you damage a target with a weapon attack before you can add the 1d8.

The ramification of this change is a small nerf to Inquisitor and a large buff to Seeker. Part of the reason this made sense was the update on Eldritch Trapper that pulled the Seekers potential back a bit.

While technically having more range to apply CT is a buff. For Inquisitor the optimal range is about 20-feet out so they do not benefit from any range beyond that. This makes ranged play more viable for the Seeker which benefits on any range out to 300-feet.

Also I think this works to make a 1st level ability a little simpler to work with.

LordEntrails
November 1st, 2017, 03:10
Hey Arte, nice work :)

I wanted to get through this and give you details. But I haven't been able to make it very far into it. Sorry. Here's what I do have...

Thoughts and such;
- I like all the artwork. Nice.
- I have not play tested or compared side by side with the official classes, I assume things are balanced (like proficiency, spells know, etc)
- The first three paragraphs (the fluff). Some people are going to be confused that these are seperate/distinct stories. Don't know if how, but consider trying to segregate them so they appear distinct. Also, you might want them to be italicised or someone designated as story/fiction.
- As I read, it seems to me that in many places it would flow better if I was reading "a sigil" where often you just used "sigil" Don't know what way is actually the right way. Just seems awkward at times for me.
- The class features seem really creative and fun. Hopefully will be able to play test it before long.

The little picky things;
- front page, bottom right corner, the version and name overlaps the DMsG logo
- Consider adding fluff/flair to your DMsG page. Something to grab creative interest :)

ArteF
November 4th, 2017, 02:34
Howdy LordEntrails,

Thanks so much!

I actually wanted it to overlap because it was easier to read on the black background.

Yes, I'm still updating a few things but it's done as in that the math is fine.

Since its a controller that is heavy on features the damage is a bit lower than an actual damage dealer.

There has been an update that was live from yesterday, the notes are below.

I am also going to kick myself in the rear and work on updating the old module for fantasy grounds this weekend.

There are some grammar issues certainly from when I changed the name of the class to Sigil.

I'll also take a look at what the PHB does to help differentiate those stories, sorry about that.

Try running it as an npc baddie before letting a player run it, that way you can kind of get the quirks.

In actual play I think it flows as naturally as any other class.

Updates:

1. Art Work 2nd Page Fixed
2. Corrected Spelling of Trigger in Natural Expertise section
3. Added 90-feet range on the Undaunted Scythe of Neutrality’s Rend
4. Clarified that concentration is required for Chaos Trigger
5. Clarified that Chaos Trigger (CT) is single target
6. Deleted an extra “the” in the Undaunted Scythe description
7. Added “spent” to the second part of Eldritch Trapper to point out that CP are used
8. I removed the 30-feet limit on Chaos Trigger because of the damage prerequisite
9. A mechanic was added to CT for disadvantage on concentration checks for the target
10. Removed the damage portion of Broken Echo and the CP cost for simplicity.
11. Added a recovery roll for Broken Echo it is where it needs to be.
12. Second trigger no longer references the additional attack as extra attack.
13. Adjust the DoT of Second Trigger since it no longer has the range limit
14. Fully tied together Eldritch Ward with Eldritch Warden for Keepers
15. Adjusted when some lines appeared to keep it closer to the PHB
16. Removed the surge damage for CT

I might do an update for Chaos Trigger to simplify the language, people are saying they can't understand the line about re-targeting something. They are getting confused about when you can change targets.

Also since I removed the damage surge that ends concentration on a 1, I might tone down the damage dice on it to a 1d6 it's really in the long run a small difference but it pulls close to monk dpr in situations where it shouldn't.

ArteF
November 4th, 2017, 02:53
With regards to the balance next to phb.

The scaling is identical.

Chaos Points unlock at the same rate you unlock spell slots for the corresponding levels.

So you have:
1 CP from 1st to 2nd level.
2 CP from 3rd to 4th level.
3 CP from 5th to 6th level and so on.

By comparison you have:
1st level slots from 1st to 2nd level.
2nd level slots from 3rd to 4th level
3rd level slots from 5th to 6th level.

The major difference is the amount of spells that can be cast.

Where a wizard could cast at 5th level (2) 3rd level, (3) 2nd level and (4) 1st level spells this class can cast (1) 3rd level spell and relies on the luck of the dice for anymore.

Stability is found in 2 places:

1. Fighting a spell caster, as the class gets stronger it gets more proficient and benefits greatly from fighting things that can cast magic or are monstrosities.
So as an example: Something like Broken Echo can if the target fails the save then reflect the spell.

2. The subclass features are tend to rely on the same randomness but comes in a supplemental quantity to balance out the loss in spell power of this full caster..

Overall the class depends on the luck of the dice and can sway from 85%~115% efficiency next to core classes encounter by encounter and level by level.

In my play tests I've had players do all kinds of odd builds that seemed to work as well.

Part of what makes this class probably more balanced that the Core classes is the proprietary casting mechanic and how late some of the major things of the class come online.

A 4 level dip into Sigil grants you their core ability Broken Echo for example.

ArteF
November 17th, 2017, 02:55
Okay the next update is in. The flavor was added in certain parts as well as some grammatical tweaks all around.

The update information is available if you have it downloaded already, you can hover the mouse over the little i icon next to download and it shows the change list.

If you haven't downloaded this class yet then no need to worry about that.

I'm working on lore still, mostly putting it together in a nice way still.

Okay enjoy.

This update mainly addressed some synergies, bringing things into a consistent pattern in what they do and adding some lore.

ArteF
November 29th, 2017, 02:07
Okay the final update for the class is done as well as the module for the class on fantasy grounds.

The PDF will be updated in the future but these updates will only be in the section for DMs.

The module includes coded actions so you do not have to code a lot of the features yourself.

You still need to assign the proper resources though but otherwise it works with a lot of ease, the link is in the OP.

Finally I'm working on a supplement for the class, the core class and pdf is free but the module costs 50 cents, the supplement will also be free.

The mod for the supplement depending on how much work it takes might either appear in the existing mod or as its own thing and might cost 50 cents.

Alright hope you folks enjoy and let me know if anything is going off with the mod as I have only superficially tested it out. All the links work and the effects work but I'm one person so if something is mislinked then let me know.

You do need the player handbook deluxe and possibly even the the elemental evil to access the references for the spells.