PDA

View Full Version : 5e Campaign Starting at 1st Level Looking for Players (Sunday Fortnightly)

Cailore
October 29th, 2017, 00:57
We are kicking off a new 5e campaign with some good old fashioned explore the wilderness, clean out the caves adventure. Watch the little video for details.

https://youtu.be/VJq4zU7rzEw

If you are interested, we play two Sundays a month, check out the session zero notes here: www.cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0

We also have a shared campaign for D&D Beyond if you like to use that system for building characters. I've shared the PHB, so if you don't need to buy any subscription or datasets to take advantage of this resource.

Cailore
October 29th, 2017, 21:26
The group is made up of new players and some players who have been playing since 1st edition, so we'll welcome you no matter what your experience level is. For more information see our Session Zero page (https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/).

Game Times
https://cailore.com/wp-content/uploads/cailorecalendar.png

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=cfk6em0fptvr0gq0vrglnulcgs%40group.calen dar.google.com

Type of Game
The target style for this game is Relaxed Fantasy Adventure. There will be light role play, with players expected to interact with the game world from their character’s point of view and an honest attempt at developing an involved in-game persona should be made, but this isn’t Emo-Shakespeare—no one is going to be earning an Oscar for their performance, and some Out of Character (OOC) hijinks is permitted and good ‘table fun’. The challenges facing the Player Characters (PCs), will include basic combat, strategic planning, skill challenges, and role-playing challenges. Many, if not most, of the challenges confronting the party, will be possible to best with more than one of those approaches so the overall balance of game elements will be dependent upon the choices made by the players throughout the game.

Campaign Length
The players will be playing through the adventure Lairs of Lawlessness, which takes the players from 1st level to 7th level.

Character Down Time
There will be no extended downtime during the adventure.

Character Creation
You may create 1st-level characters for the campaign using the point buy process on using HeroLab or D&D Beyond, or you can sign into the game 30 minutes before a session and I can help you through character generation in Fantasy Grounds. You may use any homebrew information I’ve shared either on Cailore.com or D&D Beyond and the 5e Player’s Handbook—subject to the following restrictions:

Alignment
No Evil characters. While those can be fun to play, this is not that sort of campaign.

Race
No Drow, Dragonborn, Half-Orcs or Tieflings. The natives will literally start shooting at you on sight.

Classes
No Monks or Warlocks, both of these have story implications within the campaign world.

You can find our campaign information on D&D Beyond here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/campaigns/44709

Game Play
Fantasy Grounds creates a particular type of game environment so all facets of this will not be discussed, but the following elements will be of interest to players:

Combat & Taking Your Turn
To ensure the game moves in a quick and orderly manner, players will be expected to have their action ready when it is their initiative. If a player has not declared an action or intent within 20 seconds of the bell ringing for their initiative, action will pass to the next character or creature in initiative order.

Action of Record
Although we will have voice chat to facilitate some forms of communication, especially coordinating long-term actions and socializing, all character actions or statements made in character to in-world NPCs will need to be entered in the Fantasy Grounds chat field. This is to create an immutable record of the action and allow for easy review of previous sessions if the need arises. Once you hit enter, no take-backsys.

Meta-play & Role Play Expectations
Fun is the primary focus of adventure and no expectations are made upon the players to ‘forget what they know’ about the game. So long as meta-play does not lead to arguments with the Game Master, there are no penalties for acting out, or even discussing meta-knowledge.

Earning XP
Experience points will be awarded throughout play for overcoming challenges, regardless of the method of success. Combat, skills, planning, and role playing are all awarded equally. Bonus points may be awarded at any time for actions or role playing that significantly advance the story, character development, or progress toward goals. Progression rates are ‘standard’.

Level-up
If a character earns enough experience to achieve a new level, they may level up either at the end of the game session, or during the next play break, if they believe they can accomplish the leveling within 5 minutes time. At lower levels, this should not be an issue, especially if the player has thought about what direction they want to take their character. There will be a group pause for leveling when all PC have earned enough XP to be awarded 2nd level.

Player Behavior

Don’t be a d**k.
The Game Master is the final arbiter of the rules—unless the built-in rule set doesn’t let the Game Master do what he wants, then Fantasy Grounds is the final arbiter of the rules.
Have fun.
Help other players have fun.

Cailore
November 21st, 2017, 15:34
We have started play and it seems that we have a great group of players in the party. We don't have a cleric or druid in the party at the moment, so if you'd like to play a one of those, we'd love to have you join.

Sammage
November 22nd, 2017, 19:09
We have started play and it seems that we have a great group of players in the party. We don't have a cleric or druid in the party at the moment, so if you'd like to play a one of those, we'd love to have you join.

My Sunday game just moved to Weds so, I'd love to join if you still need. I can play either a cleric or druid. Pretty new to the 5e rules as I just started back roleplaying after an extended absence.

johnshep
November 22nd, 2017, 23:10
I would love to join the group.

John

Ellzud
November 23rd, 2017, 14:22
Hello. I would love to join the party if there is still space. I could play either a druid or a cleric.
I'm rather new to FG and DnD. I have played a couple of times before, a mage and a fighter, but I'm willing to learn fast and to have a good time.
I have a standard license and the core class pack.
I could prepare new characters, both a druid and a cleric and have them ready in case you have space for me.
I'm located in Toronto, so UTC-5, 2PM is perfect time for me.

Rafael

Cailore
November 23rd, 2017, 20:25
Excellent, I'll send you a message with links you need.

Sammage
November 23rd, 2017, 22:34
I joined the game on beyond. If you want though I can clone him as a FG character to save time. The only thing I had to adjust really was removing the Tolling the Dead cantrip and doing all the background writing.

Cailore
November 23rd, 2017, 23:19
I have Xanathar's Guide to Everything on FG, so you can use that if you like. My opposition to "other sources" is more of an warning for the people who want to play a beholder or mindflayer ;-)

I like to bring the characters into FG myself so I am forced to look at what you've got.

I look forward to 'seeing' you on the third.

Kingofthecrows
November 24th, 2017, 05:10
I'll tag along if there's room

JorgeGamer92
November 25th, 2017, 12:02
I would love to join the game, but I am a new player (never played before) so I may make mistakes. My character idea would be a chaotic good half-elf bard, but if needed I can change the character/class/race/alignment.

Cailore
November 30th, 2017, 23:34
We are very well supplied on rogues and bards, but if you would really like to play a bard you may.

All of the rules and instructions for character building can be found here: https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/ use the link on that page to make a character using 'point buy' on D&D Beyond. I will import it from there onto Fantasy Grounds.

Cailore
November 30th, 2017, 23:37
For the time being, I think that's a full party. If you want to be on a waiting list pending someone dropping out, let me know.

Thank you.

Cailore
January 8th, 2018, 00:56
We've had an opening at our virtual table. We have a fairly balanced party, so you could play what makes you happy.
https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/

quark12000
January 8th, 2018, 01:27
Can we play with text?

JohnD
January 8th, 2018, 02:45
You guys have some incorrect information on your page there. Players do not need to pass the connection test; only the DM does.

Sniflet
January 8th, 2018, 08:01
I just switched from Roll20 and im eager to try FG because it looks a good platform for a DM. I DM 99% of the time so this would be a nice refreshment. My timezone is UTC+1 and i'm not a native English speaker if thats a problem.

Arcanix
January 8th, 2018, 10:29
If you have an opening im interested in joining with a Halfling, Lightfoot, Rogue/Bard Arcane Trickster. (If its full i can wait for another opening). Level 1, point buy PHB build.

Can join with other builds. All PHB, point buy builds.

+1 GMT

cpseudo3
January 8th, 2018, 10:58
I am interested if there are any openings.

Cailore
January 31st, 2018, 04:17
Yes you can. We are doing text only right now. It has been working quite well.

Cailore
January 31st, 2018, 04:19
Check out our Session Zero page (https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/), if you are interested, there is a link to join our campaign on D&D Beyond, where you can make your character. Once your are done, send me a personal message and we'll make sure you are ready to go.

Cailore
January 31st, 2018, 04:19
You would be starting at 1st level, but you could work into that build. Check out our Session Zero page (https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/), if you are interested, there is a link to join our campaign on D&D Beyond, where you can make your character. Once your are done, send me a personal message and we'll make sure you are ready to go.

Cailore
January 31st, 2018, 04:21
I just switched from Roll20 and im eager to try FG because it looks a good platform for a DM. I DM 99% of the time so this would be a nice refreshment. My timezone is UTC+1 and i'm not a native English speaker if thats a problem.

Most the party aren't native English speakers, and the native speakers aren't fluent ;) so don't let that stop you. Check out our Session Zero page (https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/), if you are interested, there is a link to join our campaign on D&D Beyond, where you can make your character. Once your are done, send me a personal message and we'll make sure you are ready to go.

JohnD
January 31st, 2018, 19:25
Some of your information is erroneous. Players do not have to pass a connection test; only the DM needs that

eMan
January 31st, 2018, 23:25
hey im looking for a sunday or saturday night gaming group. I would love to be your druid, are you ok having a new player join? ive watched 100 hours of campaigns on youtube, but have yet to play in a single session.

damned
February 1st, 2018, 02:25
Hi Cailore what JohnD is saying is that this statement on your Session 0 page is incorrect:

Platform Setup
Well before the game is to start, you should install Fantasy Grounds if it is not already on your computer. The first thing you should do is run the Connection Test found on the starting screen of the launcher (shown in the picture to the left). Click the “Run Test” button, if green letters appear to saying, “SUCCESS” as in the example, you are good to go to the next step. If your computer fails the connection test, please consult the forums for help:

You will notice that the Connection Test is not on the Splash Screen or Join Game screens. It is only on the Create New Campaign and Load Campaign screens - eg it is a test for the GMs computer.

Athungar
February 1st, 2018, 03:20
When I was having trouble connecting to the game, the Tech Support guy told me to run that test. Was that not a useful thing to do, or was it just to make me feel like I had made some progress?

Athungar
February 1st, 2018, 03:22
hey im looking for a sunday or saturday night gaming group. I would love to be your druid, are you ok having a new player join? ive watched 100 hours of campaigns on youtube, but have yet to play in a single session.

We are mostly new to Fantasy Grounds, and boy we could use a Druid!

Cailore
February 1st, 2018, 03:54
Some of your information is erroneous. Players do not have to pass a connection test; only the DM needs that

That contradicts what we were told by Tech Support when we had our tear inducing first session and some players couldn't connect.

Cailore
February 1st, 2018, 04:09

We would love to have you join! Check out our Session Zero page: https://cailore.com/fantasy-grounds-session-0/
There is a link there to join our campaign on D&D Beyond, where you can make your character and it will be imported for you and ready for this Sunday. You can use a free Twitch/D&D Beyond account, you don't need to by anything. as long as you use that campaign link, you will have access to all the PHB, DMG, and XGE resources for your character.

Hope to 'see' you soon.

damned
February 1st, 2018, 04:15
The Connection Test tests the connection from Smiteworks server to the PC in question and through the PC in questions firewall.
The only time an externally initiated Inbound connection is needed for Fantasy Grounds is on the GMs computer.

When a player connects to the GMs server the only thing that talks to Smiteworks is the Alias resolver is you are using the Alias.
The actual connection goes from Players computer across the internet to the GMs computer and through the GMs firewall(s).
No connection is ever made from the GM computer to the Players computer.
No connection is ever made from Smiteworks servers to the Player computer.

I have no idea what the context of the request for the test connection to be run was.
I have no idea about how the rest of your conversation went.
I have no idea if Smiteworks knew that they were assisting a player when they made that request.
So I cannot comment as to why you may have been told to perform that test as a player.

Cailore
February 1st, 2018, 04:39
The Connection Test tests the connection from Smiteworks server to the PC in question and through the PC in questions firewall.
The only time an externally initiated Inbound connection is needed for Fantasy Grounds is on the GMs computer.

When a player connects to the GMs server the only thing that talks to Smiteworks is the Alias resolver is you are using the Alias.
The actual connection goes from Players computer across the internet to the GMs computer and through the GMs firewall(s).
No connection is ever made from the GM computer to the Players computer.
No connection is ever made from Smiteworks servers to the Player computer.

I have no idea what the context of the request for the test connection to be run was.
I have no idea about how the rest of your conversation went.
I have no idea if Smiteworks knew that they were assisting a player when they made that request.
So I cannot comment as to why you may have been told to perform that test as a player.

It seems that a popular ISP in the States blocks FG with their default setting on some equipment. The easiest way (we were told) to find out if that is the case, is to have a player run that test. If they can ping the FG server, then it's not that problem. We had a couple players go through the process of adjusting the settings on their routers before they could play. I am pretty sure there is a thread about it somewhere on this forum.

Thanks for your attempt to help out.