PDA

View Full Version : PureVPN Question

GavinRuneblade
October 28th, 2017, 22:11
I've seen several threads mention that PureVPN works with Fantasy Grounds. Does anyone have instructions for getting it to work? I have it, and a dedicated IP, but still getting failure on the test in fantasy grounds. The tech support over at PureVPN are not very helpful and saying I need to also buy the NatFirewall to be able to open port 1802. When I look at what that offerers it doesn't make any sense. Plus all the threads just say the dedicated IP, not natfirewall.

Anyone have success with this and can give some clarity?

Thanks!

daggerfortysix
October 28th, 2017, 23:06
I have PureVPN with the dedicate IP, DDoS protection, and NAT firewall set to allow 1802. It works like a champ and I have had zero problems with it. I am sure you can go back to PureVPN and add those options.

GavinRuneblade
October 28th, 2017, 23:21
So it DOES require nat firewall? Not just "you have it and it works" but "will not work without nat firewall"? Because the other threads only mention dedicated ip.

daggerfortysix
October 28th, 2017, 23:23
I don't know the answer to that...

damned
October 29th, 2017, 00:07
Im pretty sure that the test will still fail. Youw ill need to actually test it :)
In this case you often can use a second local connection and use the PureVPN IP address as the Alias address.
You will probably get a license error and it wont connect but the license error means it did connect first...

GavinRuneblade
October 29th, 2017, 00:25
I don't understand what that means.

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 00:27
I do not have the NAT option, just dedicated IP, and it works.

The NAT option can be useful for certain cases, but I have not needed it for Fantasy Grounds.

If you sign up using this link, I even get a bonus.:-)

https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Otherwise www.purevpn.com and try it. They do offer money back if it does not work.

All I do is use the dedicated ip option and connect via it and then start up FG and it works well. Connection test immediately succeeds and people can use the generated alias to connect to You or your IP address (the one the vpn gives you).

Trenloe
October 29th, 2017, 00:31
You shouldn’t need the NAT firewall option.

The key is that you do not have Fantasy Grounds running when you connect to the VPN. Wait until the VPN gets an IP address then start up FG. On the load campaign screen make sure the external IP address is the VPN IP address. Then try the connection test.

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 00:42
What Trenloe says is why I always say start up the vpn and then FG. Once FG latches onto an external IP, it sticks to it. I usually boot up and sign into my laptop, get onto the internet (in whatever hotel I am in typically as I do not need a vpn at home), launch PureVPN in dedicated ip mode and wait until it fully loads and is assigned an IP address, and then launch FG.

GavinRuneblade
October 29th, 2017, 00:55
What Trenloe says is why I always say start up the vpn and then FG. Once FG latches onto an external IP, it sticks to it. I usually boot up and sign into my laptop, get onto the internet (in whatever hotel I am in typically as I do not need a vpn at home), launch PureVPN in dedicated ip mode and wait until it fully loads and is assigned an IP address, and then launch FG.

Ok, I launched PureVPN in dedicated IP mode, I did wait for full load, launched FG, the IP address showing in fantasy grounds is the one I get from PureVPN. Test fails and my friend cannot connect if I launch the campaign anyway.

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 01:01
What operating system are you using?

GavinRuneblade
October 29th, 2017, 01:33
What operating system are you using?

Windows 10

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 01:55
Two somewhat common problems are firewall entry needs updating and network type is not private. This is not PureVPN related.

Can you use FG without PureVPN? Do you have at least the standard license?

If you have the right license type and the license key is loaded and working, then open your firewall, delete any entry for FG and then run FG again and re-establish the rules for it.

Also check to make sure the vpn is set as “private” network.

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2017, 03:03
Also, if you can show the PureVPN screen with all the data it would help me look at it.

I actually have 2 sign-ons and the dedicated ip has its own server which is not the same as the main sign-on. Make sure you type in the right userid and server for PureVPN.

GavinRuneblade
November 4th, 2017, 20:05
Two somewhat common problems are firewall entry needs updating and network type is not private. This is not PureVPN related.

Can you use FG without PureVPN? Do you have at least the standard license?

If you have the right license type and the license key is loaded and working, then open your firewall, delete any entry for FG and then run FG again and re-establish the rules for it.

Also check to make sure the vpn is set as “private” network.

sorry for the slow replies, school was brutal and took all my time. Thank you for all the advice ^.^ I'm still working to make this function.

I have an ultimate license. I did confirm the key is working. I did remove the firewall entry and re-establish it. I did access my router and assign a dedicated IP. In PureVPN I also have two sets of credentials and used the correct ones to enable the dedicated IP. We will be testing again today, I'll report how it goes.

Edit: still shows as failing test and players still cannot connect.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2017, 01:05
Have you verified what I mentioned in post #8? Check that FG is showing the PureVPN IP address as the external address.

GavinRuneblade
November 5th, 2017, 19:43
Have you verified what I mentioned in post #8? Check that FG is showing the PureVPN IP address as the external address.

Yes Fantasy grounds is showing purevpn IP as external. I had to reboot for this to work but we did get it working. Still unable to connect and test failed.

damned
November 6th, 2017, 01:36
What does Windows report your network as? Private, Public, Work, Home, Domain?

GavinRuneblade
November 6th, 2017, 02:31
What does Windows report your network as? Private, Public, Work, Home, Domain?

wifi and purevpn are both private.

Myrdin Potter
November 6th, 2017, 03:27
What server are you connecting to with PureVPN?

GavinRuneblade
November 10th, 2017, 06:08
What server are you connecting to with PureVPN?

How do I determine this?

Also if it helps, we tried hamatchi that also fails but we can share files across hamatchi. I can join a game any of my players create, but none of them can join a game I create.

Myrdin Potter
November 10th, 2017, 06:12
I think you have some issue with firewall or network settings on your computer that is affecting Fantasy Grounds. Not a PureVPN issue.

The server you connect is what you enter into the field for dedicated ip. I am about to sleep but I will private message you two examples when I wake up.

You may need damned to help to look at your computer and network settings.

damned
November 10th, 2017, 08:09
What foul summoning spell brought me here?
Im not familiar with the PureVPN side of things barring what I have read in this thread but you can PM me your email address and Ill try and have a look with you over the weekend.

GavinRuneblade
November 10th, 2017, 21:28
Purevpn (and hamatchi oddly) are both resetting themselves to public networks, and now I can't rechange them to private. Kind of bizarre and random. But I wonder if this is the issue (or an issue if there's more than one).

Trenloe
November 10th, 2017, 21:38
Purevpn (and hamatchi oddly) are both resetting themselves to public networks, and now I can't rechange them to private. Kind of bizarre and random. But I wonder if this is the issue (or an issue if there's more than one).
If you local AV/Firewall on the computer is blocking FantasyGrounds.exe on Public networks then this could well be the issue. Double-check that your AV/Firewall is allowing FantasyGrounds.exe on both Public an Private networks.

GavinRuneblade
November 10th, 2017, 21:40
If you local AV/Firewall on the computer is blocking FantasyGrounds.exe on Public networks then this could well be the issue. Double-check that your AV/Firewall is allowing FantasyGrounds.exe on both Public an Private networks.

It is, I just checked. And I was able to eventually reset PureVPN to a private network.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2017, 21:48
Do you have another computer you could put on your local network with FG installed and do a basic connection test on the local network? This will help to work out if there is an issue with the computer itself or the external network.

GavinRuneblade
November 10th, 2017, 21:55
Do you have another computer you could put on your local network with FG installed and do a basic connection test on the local network? This will help to work out if there is an issue with the computer itself or the external network.

I do not. The only other devices in the house are phones and tablets. Is there a way to test with one of them?

On the upside, I did just delete everything and restart from the beginning, even undoing and redoing my 1802 forwarding, reinstalling purevpn,, etc. and I got a success on the test just now. I just need a player to test logging in to see if something actually cleared up. We also had people working on our internet lines to the neighborhood today for a few hours, so that might have been involved too.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2017, 21:57
I just need a player to test logging in to see if something actually cleared up.
PM me your alias if you'd like me to check.

GavinRuneblade
November 10th, 2017, 22:00
PM me your alias if you'd like me to check.

PM sent, much appreciated!

GavinRuneblade
November 10th, 2017, 23:33
Damien helped me test and he was able to get into my game. So it looks like I am all set.

Thank you everyone for the ongoing help!

Trenloe
November 10th, 2017, 23:35
Damien helped me test and he was able to get into my game.
I tested too! ;)

GavinRuneblade
November 11th, 2017, 21:17
I tested too! ;)

Thank you too ^.^

Also I can confirm my players are in game right now.

Myrdin Potter
November 11th, 2017, 21:24
That is almost for certain a firewall error that was fixed when it was set up again when you reinstalled. If you had just tried PureVPN, I might has suspected an error in the vpn drivers being installed (often caused by anti-virus software) but with Hamachi also not working, I think you had a firewall error that is now fixed.

GavinRuneblade
November 15th, 2017, 05:09
Good to know.

belkasro
January 1st, 2018, 06:58
I found this thread but not so clear how they found the answer and got it working with test succede and got connected with people. Teed asking the tech support but keeps giving me the scripts lines when they just don't know how to do. I've tired hamachi and port forwarding is a pain. Can anyone give me a step by step process how they got it to work please.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40839-PureVPN-Question

Myrdin Potter
January 1st, 2018, 09:19
You normally need to get the dedicated IP option.

Connect to that server and verify that the vpn is working (Visit a webpage using your browser).

Open Fantasy Grounds.

The external IP address should be the same as your vpn address.

Press test, if it says success then you can have people connect to your games.

Either use the alias or the vpn IP address. No need to port forward.

If you have issues, normally it is either the connection being set to public in setting (change to private) or your firewall is blocking Fantasy Grounds.

Normally you only need a vpn when you are sharing an external IP address (like in a hotel)or using a cellular connection.

Bidmaron
January 1st, 2018, 18:01
or using ipv6

Cthulhu1848
February 14th, 2020, 00:38
Otherwise www.purevpn.com and try it. They do offer money back if it does not work.

All I do is use the dedicated ip option and connect via it and then start up FG and it works well. Connection test immediately succeeds and people can use the generated alias to connect to You or your IP address (the one the vpn gives you).

That did it for me, worked well. Thank you very much for the advice!