PDA

View Full Version : 5E Advanced Effects (items, npcs, characters)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

celestian
October 27th, 2017, 22:20
Latest version currently compatible with FGU.

This project has been handed off to rhagelstrom who will be maintaining it moving forward.

If you're having issues with extension please read this post first on making sure you have correct extension installed (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439).

This is something I've had in my ruleset for a while and decided I'd make an extension so that it could be used with 5E ruleset.

How does it work? When you apply the extension to a 5E campaign you'll notice a new field on items, npcs and character sheets (under Abilities tab) called "Effect Features".

For items, when you add an effect such as "IFT: ALIGN (evil); AC: 2;" it will be placed on the owner of the item if they equipped the item and are in the combat tracker.

You will also notice the same type of entry for NPCs. It works similar to the above except when you drag/drop the NPC into the combat tracker these effects will be added automatically.

You will also notice the same type of entry for Player characters, under the "Abilities" tab in a section called "Advanced Effects". It works similar to the above except when you drag/drop the PC into the combat tracker these effects will be added automatically.

Here are the places you'll notice differences.

There is one Campaign Setting. This allows the PC with an item that has an advanced effect to see and edit it if enabled. It's disabled by default.
https://i.imgur.com/NQpeOQo.png

Items/NPC/Character sheet

https://i.imgur.com/YJSiz0X.png

The action "Action Only" effect (only used when THAT weapon/item is used for attack/damage).
https://i.imgur.com/QzwZaqx.png

Please report issues/etc as I don't use 5E for my own games.

Subscribe to the Forge for the latest version with as of this writing is version 5+

Click here to get the extension from the Forge. (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/68/view) You can send a donation (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/68/view) to the creator if you like this tool.

Thegroo
October 28th, 2017, 10:48
Great

BioPhreak
October 29th, 2017, 21:14
Are the links broken? The 'Attached Files' are not listing any files and there is nothing to click on to download.

damned
October 29th, 2017, 21:52
Are the links broken? The 'Attached Files' are not listing any files and there is nothing to click on to download.

Work for me...

Waldbaer
October 29th, 2017, 22:27
Same with me---simply a great must have extension. Take it as long as it is free of costs :)

celestian
October 30th, 2017, 02:44

Tested it from couple browser types and works for me. Make sure you don't have some extension in your browser that might be keeping something from loading properly to download it.

LordEntrails
October 30th, 2017, 02:46
Tested it from couple browser types and works for me. Make sure you don't have some extension in your browser that might be keeping something from loading properly to download it.
This was solved in another thread. His browser was accessing the mobile site. Once that was resolved things were fine.

BioPhreak
October 30th, 2017, 02:55
This was solved in another thread. His browser was accessing the mobile site. Once that was resolved things were fine.

Here is a link to the thread if anyone else is having the same bug where your browser is stuck in the mobile site.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40864-Can-t-download-links-attachments-in-posts

The solution for me was to use the "Full Site" link at the bottom which resets/changes the view back to something with usable features.

I have downloaded the extension and this does exactly what I was looking to do. Thank you for this.

Seya
October 30th, 2017, 03:00
Amazing thanks

Yonjaime
November 4th, 2017, 09:17
Celestina, thanks for the extension! Great job!!!!

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2017, 19:24
Just to make sure that I'm not doing something incorrectly. If I have something like a Sword of Wounding which applies an effect to the target rather than the user of the weapon this extension won't handle such things will it? If I place the effect DMGO:1d4, necrotic onto the weapon and place the PC on the CT then the damage is applied to the PC whenever their turn comes around and fails to apply anything to the target.

ogeard
November 5th, 2017, 21:58
Awesome! BTW is this something that's remotely possible with the pathfinder ruleset?

celestian
November 6th, 2017, 01:18
Just to make sure that I'm not doing something incorrectly. If I have something like a Sword of Wounding which applies an effect to the target rather than the user of the weapon this extension won't handle such things will it? If I place the effect DMGO:1d4, necrotic onto the weapon and place the PC on the CT then the damage is applied to the PC whenever their turn comes around and fails to apply anything to the target.

DMGO: 1d6 (action only) doesn't give them it but DMG: 1d6 does apply 1d6 extra.

I suspect it's because DMGO is a applied effect, not a "effect" itself (like dmg, ac, init/etc). Like it wouldn't apply "frightened" to a target either.

Would need some sort of feature in effects to apply another effect to get it to work as you're wanting. Far as I know not something that can be done with the 5E ruleset right now but not out of the realm of possibilities for an extension.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2017, 09:03
DMGO: 1d6 (action only) doesn't give them it but DMG: 1d6 does apply 1d6 extra.

I suspect it's because DMGO is a applied effect, not a "effect" itself (like dmg, ac, init/etc). Like it wouldn't apply "frightened" to a target either.

Would need some sort of feature in effects to apply another effect to get it to work as you're wanting. Far as I know not something that can be done with the 5E ruleset right now but not out of the realm of possibilities for an extension.

Thanks I just wanted to check. I'm probably misunderstanding your statement but when setting up effects for 5e you can specify whether the effect will apply to self (which is what all of the effects in your extension do) or to targets which would be the one needed to apply the effect to the target(s) such as the one I described. So in my example the 'normal' effect would apply to targets as would a similarly set up effect of frightened,

celestian
November 6th, 2017, 15:31
Thanks I just wanted to check. I'm probably misunderstanding your statement but when setting up effects for 5e you can specify whether the effect will apply to self (which is what all of the effects in your extension do) or to targets which would be the one needed to apply the effect to the target(s) such as the one I described. So in my example the 'normal' effect would apply to targets as would a similarly set up effect of frightened,

You can certainly have effects within "powers" that do that but I don't have an option for targeting (or expend)... if I understand what you are asking? But, far as I know there is no way within the 5E ruleset to have an effect apply another effect. I mean, CAN you have a "IFT:TYPE(dragon);DMGO: 1d6" anywhere and it work? or "IFT:TYPE(dragon);frightened" ?

Right now that's how the advanced effects work. They don't apply an effect on the target like the "powers" abilities do, they simply use effects within the scope of the items attack/damage.

You have got me thinking how cool it would be if it did.... I must think about it.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2017, 16:24
You can certainly have effects within "powers" that do that but I don't have an option for targeting (or expend)... if I understand what you are asking? But, far as I know there is no way within the 5E ruleset to have an effect apply another effect. I mean, CAN you have a "IFT:TYPE(dragon);DMGO: 1d6" anywhere and it work? or "IFT:TYPE(dragon);frightened" ?

Right now that's how the advanced effects work. They don't apply an effect on the target like the "powers" abilities do, they simply use effects within the scope of the items attack/damage.

You have got me thinking how cool it would be if it did.... I must think about it.

No, no. I wasn't implying that an effect can apply another effect. And I see now what it is you were meaning. There are quite a few items however that apply an effect to a target rather than adding something to the wielder of the item. The Weapon of Wounding is just one example where the attacker doesn't necessarily get any kind of bonus to attack or damage but the target does get a wound applied. Such an effect can't be added to the weapon but has to be applied by the wielder once damage is sorted out.

Moon Wizard
November 6th, 2017, 17:50
I have generally avoided a lot of chaining of actions (such as attack->damage->effect), because there are so many exceptions and reaction options that can't be determined in advance. If you wanted to do chaining right, I would think you would need a whole action "stack" of what was applied to each creature, and be able to undo actions on the stack, or at least review the action stack.

As for simplify providing an area for weapons to have effects which could be applied (like spells), that seems like a simpler task, and avoids chaining.

Cheers,
JPG

celestian
November 6th, 2017, 18:16
I have generally avoided a lot of chaining of actions (such as attack->damage->effect), because there are so many exceptions and reaction options that can't be determined in advance. If you wanted to do chaining right, I would think you would need a whole action "stack" of what was applied to each creature, and be able to undo actions on the stack, or at least review the action stack.

As for simplify providing an area for weapons to have effects which could be applied (like spells), that seems like a simpler task, and avoids chaining.

Cheers,
JPG

I had been thinking about chaining and you're right it opens a whole nuther kettle of fish.

It would be simpler (in the scheme of things) to add a "onhit" / "ondamage" type that is applied to the target(s). The only complication I can think of is... do some of the "apply on hit" effects need to have saves also? Is that a thing in 5e? Or does the "I hit so it works" always prevail?

Intruder
November 6th, 2017, 18:41
I just installed this very useful extension and had an unusual observation with it.
By the way, many thanks for this as it is proving to be something I would want to use all the time!

I applied a simple "DMGTYPE: silver" to a weapon as a result of purchasing powdered silver from one of my Vendors (DOE: Locations Extension).
I know I can just add it to the characters record sheet but just wanted to put this extension to immediate use and testing.

When the PC equipped it, the extension placed (2) identical effects to the CT.
When the PC 'not carried' it, the extension removed just (1) of the effects.
When the PC 'carried' it, the extension removed the other (1) effect.

I realize it is a trivial point, but wanted to point it out because the effect from the weapon applied to any other weapon equipped and used.

celestian
November 6th, 2017, 19:08
I just installed this very useful extension and had an unusual observation with it.
By the way, many thanks for this as it is proving to be something I would want to use all the time!

I applied a simple "DMGTYPE: silver" to a weapon as a result of purchasing powdered silver from one of my Vendors (DOE: Locations Extension).
I know I can just add it to the characters record sheet but just wanted to put this extension to immediate use and testing.

I realize it is a trivial point, but wanted to point it out because the effect from the weapon applied to any other weapon equipped and used.

Can you give me the step by step process you use to replicate this? I've tried various ways and am unable to recreate it on my end ;(

skj310
November 8th, 2017, 10:30
Hey there [celestian]

Perhaps you ought to put in a comment that this will supercede this extension:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34316-5e-Apply-effect-on-start

and therefore to disable/replace the usage of the above with yours.

Intruder
November 10th, 2017, 16:30

I realized that I had inadvertently deleted, then re-added the same effect while the character was in the CT.
The first effect stayed in the CT and didn't remove itself.
The character must be removed from the CT if an effect is altered.

celestian
November 10th, 2017, 16:34
I realized that I had inadvertently deleted, then re-added the same effect while the character was in the CT.
The first effect stayed in the CT and didn't remove itself.
The character must be removed from the CT if an effect is altered.

It should adjust the effect if it's modified on the item but if you delete the effect from the item you'll need to manually remove it from the character (or you can remove and re-add the character in the CT).

Wargrim Deephelm
November 15th, 2017, 13:32
An effect like: "SKILL: [PFR] history" or "SKILL: [WIS] history" does not populate properly when the character is added to the combat tracker. When applied, it should automatically replace [PFR] or [WIS] with the associated numerical value from the character sheet.

celestian
November 15th, 2017, 15:36
An effect like: "SKILL: [PFR] history" or "SKILL: [WIS] history" does not populate properly when the character is added to the combat tracker. When applied, it should automatically replace [PFR] or [WIS] with the associated numerical value from the character sheet.

I tried the same "SKILL: [WIS] history" drag/drop from the "Effects" records list and it doesn't do anything different than the advanced effects as best I can tell. Meaning the effect still showed as "SKILL: [WIS] history" effect on the npc/pc.

If you can show me where it does something differently I'll see if I can figure out how the apply from advanced effects is different. Although I suspect you're just suppose to put "WIS" or "CHA" or "CON" in the bracket section w/o brackets. 5E isn't my game sorry.

https://i.imgur.com/f0Oh7Xw.png

Zacchaeus
November 15th, 2017, 16:21
Hey Celestian.

Adding an effect which uses an ability from the effects dialog won't work since FG does not know who the [WIS] belongs to and so it can't determine the value. Such an effect would therefore need to be added from the player's action tab to work correctly.

See the graphic attached. The 'Special Ring' I effect I created when placed on the character shows correctly as SKILL: 2 History (the character's WIS is 14 giving him a +2 bonus). However the same effect attached to the Signet Ring is not translating the WIS bonus. I suspect that the same thing is happening when it is adding from your extension as happens when you add from the effects dialog. The item is not recognising the fact that it is 'this' character who is applying the effect so it doesn't know where to get the WIS score from.

celestian
November 15th, 2017, 16:49
Hey Celestian.

Adding an effect which uses an ability from the effects dialog won't work since FG does not know who the [WIS] belongs to and so it can't determine the value. Such an effect would therefore need to be added from the player's action tab to work correctly.

See the graphic attached. The 'Special Ring' I effect I created when placed on the character shows correctly as SKILL: 2 History (the character's WIS is 14 giving him a +2 bonus). However the same effect attached to the Signet Ring is not translating the WIS bonus. I suspect that the same thing is happening when it is adding from your extension as happens when you add from the effects dialog. The item is not recognising the fact that it is 'this' character who is applying the effect so it doesn't know where to get the WIS score from.

I'll have to look at that. Wasn't aware of this type of effect so didn't test for it. Right now the "item" applies the effect to the person. I'm guessing it wants the person to apply the effect to the person for this to work. That might be a problem with some of the other mechanics of this (specifically effect knowing what item manages the effect).

I'm off work all next week so will see if I can't come up with a workable solution.

Richstall
November 15th, 2017, 22:51
This is amazing, this should be in the base program. Thanks for your great work!

Bidmaron
November 16th, 2017, 00:17
Welcome to the forums, Richstall!

Willot
November 16th, 2017, 18:19
Armour & Shield AC Equiping and Uneqiping is a little Dicky
If a PC is wearing Armour and carrying a shield Unequiping the armor removes the shield as well when it should just remove the armor AC

If you unequip a shield it removes the shield AC bonus..Good. When the shield is reEquiped it doesnts add it back on

:)

(..and i see when I come unto you that I bear only ill and carry all but tidings dire)

celestian
November 16th, 2017, 18:31
Armour & Shield AC Equiping and Uneqiping is a little Dicky
If a PC is wearing Armour and carrying a shield Unequiping the armor removes the shield as well when it should just remove the armor AC

If you unequip a shield it removes the shield AC bonus..Good. When the shield is reEquiped it doesnts add it back on

:)

(..and i see when I come unto you that I bear only ill and carry all but tidings dire)

Are you talking about effects? This extension shouldn't have any effect on AC granted by items outside of you giving it an AC: X effect.

Willot
November 16th, 2017, 21:05
Are you talking about effects? This extension shouldn't have any effect on AC granted by items outside of you giving it an AC: X effect.

Nope in the AC calculation on the front Main page. Its possibly a FG Function that was put in and I never noticed. In that case its thier bug :)

EDIT: Just checked. YEP its thier bug. Sorry thought it was something you did. As you were. Im off to whine at Moon.....

celestian
November 16th, 2017, 21:53
Nope in the AC calculation on the front Main page. Its possibly a FG Function that was put in and I never noticed. In that case its thier bug :)

EDIT: Just checked. YEP its thier bug. Sorry thought it was something you did. As you were. Im off to whine at Moon.....

If you can replicate it without the Advanced Effects extension that would rule it out. Let me know what your test shows.

GIndustries
November 20th, 2017, 05:05
was given the following once i had an item be equipped:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:391: attempt to index field 'original' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:391: attempt to index field 'original' (a nil value)

Zacchaeus
November 20th, 2017, 05:25
Are you using any other extensions? If so try turning those off until you don’t get any errors.

GIndustries
November 20th, 2017, 05:49
Are you using any other extensions? If so try turning those off until you don’t get any errors.

yes i found that after removing the death tokens indicator - blood splats the error did not come up. thanks for the help

azamboni
November 22nd, 2017, 23:51
Hi!

What would be the step by step process to create a potion of healing for example?

I've tried but I can't apply the healing effect...

Many thanks

celestian
November 23rd, 2017, 00:18
Hi!

What would be the step by step process to create a potion of healing for example?

I've tried but I can't apply the healing effect...

Many thanks

Potion of healing isn't an effect, it's an onuse sorta thing. You'd add a power that applies the +heal depending on the type. Not something this extension would be useful for.

It would be good if the 5E ruleset had those powers already on the items so when you gained them they would be automatically added to your power list but right now I don't think it does that. There might be some "wording" you can put in the description that will make it do that.

I added the ability to add powers in my ruleset to items so it adds/removes the powers when gained/lost....but the 5e one I'm not sure how to do it with.

skj310
November 24th, 2017, 00:55
Celestian ... most excellent extension ... but can I make ONE FEATURE request to make this even better? Can you make it so that a PLAYER is able to add effects to their own weapons and what not? Why? I just think a GM's life is already quite busy and when a players item receives some mystical property, i would SO MUCH RATHER they add the effect onto their item. Hence my request to add a feature to your MOST EXCELLENT extension!

With my very limited coding experience points ... I be thinking the fix is in "advanced_effects.xml" but i'm not clear on where permissions, or how permissions are set to make modifications therein. So if you are busy and a developer is reading this ... any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

celestian
November 24th, 2017, 01:27
Celestian ... most excellent extension ... but can I make ONE FEATURE request to make this even better? Can you make it so that a PLAYER is able to add effects to their own weapons and what not? Why? I just think a GM's life is already quite busy and when a players item receives some mystical property, i would SO MUCH RATHER they add the effect onto their item. Hence my request to add a feature to your MOST EXCELLENT extension!

With my very limited coding experience points ... I be thinking the fix is in "advanced_effects.xml" but i'm not clear on where permissions, or how permissions are set to make modifications therein. So if you are busy and a developer is reading this ... any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

That is a pretty simple change. The main reason I did not allow them to edit was so players could not see effects. If I give them the ability to edit they will see effects. So, DMs that have ID'd and non ID'd items the players could see/edit the effects regardless.

I might could see if I can have it so if the item is not ID'd they couldn't see/edit but that's going to be a little more work.

skj310
November 24th, 2017, 01:31
That is a pretty simple change. The main reason I did not allow them to edit was so players could not see effects. If I give them the ability to edit they will see effects. So, DMs that have ID'd and non ID'd items the players could see/edit the effects regardless.

I might could see if I can have it so if the item is not ID'd they couldn't see/edit but that's going to be a little more work.

right, excellent point! forgot about ID vs non-ID.
and agree if it's ID'd then they can monkey away, if not then they cannot see

astromath
November 24th, 2017, 07:07
How about giving the choice to the DM? If the DM wants the player's to see the effects, then add an item in the options menu that would allow that. Default would be no, but the DM could change it to yes later on. Another option on the option menu suggestion is to add a choice for show ID'd effects. I picture the option menu line would be "Show Item Effects" with the choices "No (default), Yes, ID'd Only" My suggestion would add this line under the Game (GM) submenu of the option items.

celestian
November 24th, 2017, 07:22
How about giving the choice to the DM? If the DM wants the player's to see the effects, then add an item in the options menu that would allow that. Default would be no, but the DM could change it to yes later on. Another option on the option menu suggestion is to add a choice for show ID'd effects. I picture the option menu line would be "Show Item Effects" with the choices "No (default), Yes, ID'd Only" My suggestion would add this line under the Game (GM) submenu of the option items.

That is a good idea. I'll look and see if I can do that without impacting to much other stuff. Any time I have to add/adjust other parts it means I have to make changes to code elsewhere that other parts of the ruleset or mods use. If it's something I can do w/o impacting much (which I think I might can) I'll just add the option. I'm a big fan of Campaign Settings.

skj310
November 24th, 2017, 09:41
That is a good idea. I'll look and see if I can do that without impacting to much other stuff. Any time I have to add/adjust other parts it means I have to make changes to code elsewhere that other parts of the ruleset or mods use. If it's something I can do w/o impacting much (which I think I might can) I'll just add the option. I'm a big fan of Campaign Settings.
oooh ... indeed! very good idea Astromath! :)
You are my here Celestian! :)

Waldbaer
November 26th, 2017, 22:28
oooh ... indeed! very good idea Astromath! :)
You are my here Celestian! :)

Hey, NO way! He's mine already so do not interfere!!!

celestian
November 27th, 2017, 03:06
Hey Celestian.

So, I've been rolling this around in my brain trying to figure out the purpose of this sorta effect. If the player has a intelligence that gives them +2 wouldn't it automatically be applied already if you rolled a "History" check?

I'm not entirely sure I'll be making a change that will allow this. I've not had the chance to dig deeply (holidays have taken more toll of my time than expected) but if I am right the effect will need to come from the character and that causes all kinds of problems since I use "source" of the effect to track a lot of things and changing that to PC breaks several parts of the code. The only real solution is to have another "source" type value on each effect which im not entirely sure I want to do either. I'll have to see where it gets the source from and see if I can change the test there w/o breaking to much else.

celestian
November 27th, 2017, 04:02

Preliminary testing v2.2 with this change and seems all is well. Campaign setting for "PC: Adv Effect Edit" added. It allows them to "Edit" items in they are in a character sheet, the item is ID'd and you've allowed pc's to edit effects.

If I don't find anything wrong with my local testing I'll post the update tomorrow.

celestian
November 27th, 2017, 18:06
Update 2.2: Add option in Campaign settings to allow Players to edit effects on items in inventory if ID'd if enabled.

If the campaign uses item ID and the item is ID'd and the items is on a character and "PC: Adv. Effect Edit" is enabled the player will be able to edit the effects on the item.

Reminder, equip/unequip the item!

PopinFRESH
December 8th, 2017, 02:26
Just found this extension and have been trying to get it working to make some magic items that modify ability scores when equipped but can't seem to get it working. I made a test "Belt of Incredible Dexterity" which is set in the Adv. Effect section to [DEX: 2;] and it does not seem to be adjusting the ability score. I've tried to /save the campaign and reload it, unequip/equip the item, delete the item and re-add it to the PC's inventory; still no dice. :(

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

EDIT: Nevermind... :) Figured out that it adds the effect to the combat tracker automatically and modifies the score when a dice roll uses that score. Ability score of 18 with a normal +4 results in a +5 being applied to the rolls as if the score was a 20. Nice work!

Wheels
December 20th, 2017, 22:58
I've been trying out this extension and its pretty amazing :D good job!!!

So after a few successes implementing some items / abilities, I was trying to build the Periapt of Wound Closure to apply the Stable effect when the player reaches 0 HP. First I tried using the following:

IF: Dying;Stable

but it after adding the PC to the CT and the after the player reached 0HP (Dying) the effect disappeared and was replaced by Unconscious. After asking around I found out Dying is not a word FG recognizes so it could be that.

After I tried using the condition Unconscious to trigger the effect so I have something like this~

IF:Unconscious;Stable
but again this got removed from the effects and replaced by Unconscious effect.

Is this the standard behavior or a bug?

thank you for the help ^^

celestian
December 21st, 2017, 19:23
I've been trying out this extension and its pretty amazing :D good job!!!

So after a few successes implementing some items / abilities, I was trying to build the Periapt of Wound Closure to apply the Stable effect when the player reaches 0 HP. First I tried using the following:

but it after adding the PC to the CT and the after the player reached 0HP (Dying) the effect disappeared and was replaced by Unconscious. After asking around I found out Dying is not a word FG recognizes so it could be that.

After I tried using the condition Unconscious to trigger the effect so I have something like this~

but again this got removed from the effects and replaced by Unconscious effect.

Is this the standard behavior or a bug?

thank you for the help ^^

Have you tried this manually by applying the effect in the CT by hand to test? This might not even be supported with "effects" at all. If not then this extension wouldn't support it either. There are some limits to the extension currently, specifically if it requires applying by a person (which won't happen) but otherwise if you can get it to work by hand it "should" work in the extension outside of that one issue.

Wheels
December 21st, 2017, 19:26
If I apply the effect Stable, FG stops rolling death saves so it does work. Other effects that I have currently on items don't disappear like this one.

celestian
December 21st, 2017, 19:56
If I apply the effect Stable, FG stops rolling death saves so it does work. Other effects that I have currently on items don't disappear like this one.

If I apply (manually) "IF:Unconscious;Stable" and the target takes enough to die the effect is removed. The target is Unconscious but it doesn't roll death saves.

Wheels
December 21st, 2017, 20:00
not my experience. The effect is removed and I got the death rolls. wierd

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2017, 20:51
Whether you get Death save will depend on whether you have the automatic death saving throws set to on or off.

My testing shows that the effect as noted doesn't work. In fact it would appear that the effect is removed as soon as the PC takes any damage at all, never mind enough to make her lose all her hit points. If I create a silly effect such as IF: Unconscious;DMG: 1d4 the effects persists even after death.

So as noted in our discussion on Discord, Wheels, this is not one that you are going to be able to apply in any other way than manually.

Wheels
December 21st, 2017, 21:22
yea seems so. Just wanted to make sure that this was not some kind of bug :)

thank you all for the help

The_Car_A_Carn
January 8th, 2018, 20:13
I added this to a mace, but it does not work :(

IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6 radiant

celestian
January 8th, 2018, 20:29
I added this to a mace, but it does not work :(

IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6 radiant

Try...

IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6, radiant

(note the comma)

I used the tweaked version and it worked for me.

InnocentSoul
January 10th, 2018, 07:10
Is there a way to add a requirement for a character level or half character level in order for an effect to work or better yet, a custom variable as a conditional value? Basically I want to make it so an effect of an item is not available until conditions are met (i.e Level being 6 or Half level being 3).

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2018, 09:03
Is there a way to add a requirement for a character level or half character level in order for an effect to work or better yet, a custom variable as a conditional value? Basically I want to make it so an effect of an item is not available until conditions are met (i.e Level being 6 or Half level being 3).

No, there is nothing like that that you can code into an effect. The best method would be to look at the character sheet and if the level has been reached then the player can use the item.

Bilbotorm
January 16th, 2018, 15:06
Thanks a lot for this extension, just discovered it after so many sessions, it will make the life of my player way easier (boot with cold resist etc.)

PS : Just a quick question, for Amulet of Health, how would you proceed to make it work the best ? only adding the effect : "CON: 4" to have the +4 applying to con save and so on ? any way to have it changing the hit points as well ? thanks !

Zacchaeus
January 16th, 2018, 16:25
For the CON 19 all you can do is add in the effect CON(19-ability score). So if the PCs CON is 16 then CON: 3. There isn't an effect which increases or decreases hit points, and since the CON effect only changes the bonus and not the actual ability score (and since changing the ability score doesn't change the hp anyway) all you can do is change the hp manually. This does mean recomputing hp if/when the PC removes the amulet as well.

Trenloe
January 16th, 2018, 19:06
Vote for adding a modifier to max HP here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=115879 Which will help in this situation (it won't apply it automatically, but it will allow you to adjust Max HP based off temporary changes).

Bilbotorm
January 16th, 2018, 20:28
Thanks both for the efficient answer ! I'll do just that ! Already a bless to have that extension, makes my life easier (hellish resistance, dwarven resilience, all the magic items...)

hotline
January 26th, 2018, 01:26
Hey Celestian. Your extention is awesome. Been using it for several weeks. I did notice those that the Reaction checkbox within the Combat Tracker is now gone. I have tested this out with a test campaign and the checkbox goes missing only with your extention. I'm I using and old version? Any help would be appreciated.

Hotline

damned
January 26th, 2018, 01:39
The checkbox is still there.
The extenson uses Initiative instead of Init which causes the word to overlap the checkbox.

celestian
January 26th, 2018, 03:14
Woops, ill see about a work around to remove that erroneous text. Still out traveling for my day job so will be a while.

celestian
January 27th, 2018, 20:00
Woops, ill see about a work around to remove that erroneous text. Still out traveling for my day job so will be a while.

Updated to 2.3 and fixed the "Init" versus "Initiative" issue reported.

hotline
January 27th, 2018, 20:21
Celestian, you are one of many reasons why this community rocks. You share, what took personal time and effort, an enhancement to a great gaming system. You improve on it after it is done, and when a fellow user brings up a minor issue of a simple check box, your on top of it. You the Man Celestian. DILLY DILLY GOOD MAN! DILLY DILLY!!

Arthreas
January 30th, 2018, 00:41
I wonder if there is a way to integrate this and Rob2e's new item effect codings, which are currently spells you would put into an "item" category on the actions tab. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/231973/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Coding-Package-ITEMS

edit: actually now that I think about it if this uses the same syntax as spell effect coding I guess I could just copy the code from the spell items into normal items using this. I may try that at some point, not like I'd need to convert everything, just the things my players would use or come across at the time.

dberkompas
January 30th, 2018, 01:27
Dilly Dilly

Furio74
February 17th, 2018, 17:56
I tried to add this but do not see it in my list of extensions inside the Extensions folder. I have restarted FG and checked for updates, but nothing. Please advise.

celestian
February 17th, 2018, 17:58
I tried to add this but do not see it in my list of extensions inside the Extensions folder. I have restarted FG and checked for updates, but nothing. Please advise.

IT's the first one.

https://i.imgur.com/IUYkqbV.png

Furio74
February 17th, 2018, 18:01
IT's the first one.

https://i.imgur.com/IUYkqbV.png

Wow, thanks! Sorry - need more caffeine!

Three of Swords
February 23rd, 2018, 04:14
I really want to use this extension, but I cannot get the ActionOnly option to work. No matter how I try, I cannot get my Effect Features to match Celestian's screen caps. I've tried multiple ways to enter the information to no avail.

Any variation I can think of, the combat tracker shows the ActionOnly flag, which his screen cap does not. And it doesn't include the effect.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

To duplicate his screenshot example, if I wanted to add a 1d4 to the attack roll on a weapon, what would I type into the popup window for the effect?

I know this should be simple, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong!

PS I have the extension enabled and it seems to partially work since it applies the effect if I add the item and removes the effect if I delete the item from inventory. I just can't get the ActionOnly portion to work. ><

celestian
February 23rd, 2018, 04:29
PS I have the extension enabled and it seems to partially work since it applies the effect if I add the item and removes the effect if I delete the item from inventory. I just can't get the ActionOnly portion to work. ><

Might seem odd since the option is under "duration" but since the "duration" is action only... maybe this will help.

https://i.imgur.com/lHKbrTT.png

Can you get it to show "ActionOnly" (I gathered you couldn't) or did that work but the effect didn't?

Three of Swords
February 23rd, 2018, 05:08
OMG... I never would have figured the checkbox out. I spent almost 2 hours on this before I gave up and posted. (Yes, I'm stubborn.)

Thank you so much for your prompt response and the awesome extension!

To answer your question, I tried manually adding ActionOnly various ways and never could get it to work.

PS Is the checkbox documented in this thread somewhere? If not, you might want to make it part of the OP so others don't have my issue.

celestian
February 23rd, 2018, 05:49
To answer your question, I tried manually adding ActionOnly various ways and never could get it to work.

PS Is the checkbox documented in this thread somewhere? If not, you might want to make it part of the OP so others don't have my issue.

So there used to be a mouse over/tooltip but I musta misplaced it when I created the extension. I've added a label and tooltip to the new version that looks like this... I'll upload the newer version probably tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/SMWVsTq.png

Three of Swords
February 23rd, 2018, 13:37
I thank you on behalf of all the future "I can figure this out on my own!" type ppl that want to use this extension.

celestian
February 23rd, 2018, 22:35
Update 2.4:

added header titles for duration items (dice/mod/visibility/actiononly) and tooltips.

https://i.imgur.com/NXqGzXP.png

celestian
March 15th, 2018, 06:18
Update 2.5:

Bugfix. When GM and Player had the character sheet opened effects would be added and removed twice.

Bidmaron
March 16th, 2018, 05:03
What was the issue Celestian causing that?

celestian
March 16th, 2018, 06:06
What was the issue Celestian causing that?

Looks like you found out the issue (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42872-Host-side-AND-Player-side-running-code-issue) I had from the thread ;)

celestian
March 16th, 2018, 23:51
Update 2.7

Re-worked effects application. Host client handles now. Mostly behind the scenes code but much more clean. Might use less memory now but this patch is mostly for me to say it's better. Only tweak that's visible is that the icon displayed when applying should be the one for the character now in most cases (except when DM does it and no one is around).

bukschr
March 24th, 2018, 23:07
Never mind... I understand everything I was reading now about it not actually applying to the dice visually... I thought it was still reflected in the + whatever after the die roll... Sorry.

hagrid70
March 30th, 2018, 14:21
Maestro: a word of advice please. can i use this extension to create the following conditions: if the player attacks with this weapon, they get an AC debuf, until their next attack.
so an effect tied to one weapon, that triggers on attack and lasts til the next time the attack action is used?

celestian
March 30th, 2018, 16:27
Maestro: a word of advice please. can i use this extension to create the following conditions: if the player attacks with this weapon, they get an AC debuf, until their next attack.
so an effect tied to one weapon, that triggers on attack and lasts til the next time the attack action is used?

Unfortunately no. Advanced Effects manages the effects on items/pc/npcs. It doesn't create them "on use".

hagrid70
March 30th, 2018, 16:31
bugger :D BUT thank you for creating the extension, and thank you for your reply.

celestian
March 30th, 2018, 16:40
bugger :D BUT thank you for creating the extension, and thank you for your reply.

You did give me something to think about, no promises ;)

celestian
April 6th, 2018, 03:51
Update 2.8

Bugfix: npc effect handlers for equip/unequip in CT works as intended now.

hagrid70
April 6th, 2018, 07:16
does that mean i can set up that debuf now sir?

celestian
April 6th, 2018, 15:54
does that mean i can set up that debuf now sir?

No, this bugfix was fallout from moving to the global script method that made permission management no longer required on the database nodes. I didn't include the ct node, just the charactersheet nodes.

The effects system, within FG, not AdvancedEffects, doesn't have the functionality of applying effects from effects. If it did then AE could do it.

Salva
April 8th, 2018, 01:04
Hi Celestian, thank you very much for the extension is awesome. (got an issue but its now resolved ;))

zaigadeke
April 17th, 2018, 21:45
Is this compatible (or portable) to 3.5 or Pathfinder rulesets? Or is there a version already in place for those rulesets that I haven't found?

celestian
April 17th, 2018, 22:29
Is this compatible (or portable) to 3.5 or Pathfinder rulesets? Or is there a version already in place for those rulesets that I haven't found?

This extension is rooted deeply into 5e's effects management/style. Someone could certainly do something similar for 3e.

Daxcor
April 21st, 2018, 05:00
Celestian,

I am liking the extension. I too am looking for some way to do the following:

I have a sword, Soul Biter, when the player attacks, it gets automatic advantage. That was easy to do with your ext. Now the price for the power is that they have to make a constitution save or drop into an uncontrollable rage that may end up them attacking a friendly ;) Can you offer some suggestions on how to include a con save with the attack roll?

celestian
April 21st, 2018, 07:23
Celestian,

I am liking the extension. I too am looking for some way to do the following:

I have a sword, Soul Biter, when the player attacks, it gets automatic advantage. That was easy to do with your ext. Now the price for the power is that they have to make a constitution save or drop into an uncontrollable rage that may end up them attacking a friendly ;) Can you offer some suggestions on how to include a con save with the attack roll?

I don't believe there is a way to automate that. It would be something to do with a using a power for melee and then having a save but there is no way there to make that save be against self.

skj310
May 7th, 2018, 06:39
Hey Celestian, i noticed the following (see attached) ... small error in units:
Now although this ought to be MIN in the inventory that this is attached against, IT DOES WORK as exepected in the CT. Showing the 80 rounds that i was expecting it to. So for all intents and purposes, just letting you know there is a unit discrepancy. Cheers!

celestian
May 7th, 2018, 16:21
Hey Celestian, i noticed the following (see attached) ... small error in units:
Now although this ought to be MIN in the inventory that this is attached against, IT DOES WORK as exepected in the CT. Showing the 80 rounds that i was expecting it to. So for all intents and purposes, just letting you know there is a unit discrepancy. Cheers!

HAH! That's some bleed through from the AD&D Core ruleset where I did most of the work on Advanced Effects.

Turns in AD&D are 10 rounds which is 10 rounds to the minute in 5e so that's why the values match up.

I'll see about cleaning that up ;)

Salva
May 10th, 2018, 06:23
Hi Celestian, cant managed to get the "Rakish Audacity" feature to work when placing the effect on the Abilities tab of a PC.
I tried with "INIT: [CHA]", "INIT_AE:CHA", and even using the inbuild Description choice that result in "INIT_AE:4;" when forcing to "Initiative 4" (see pic) 23425
I am doing something wrong?
Thank you

celestian
May 10th, 2018, 06:34
Hi Celestian, cant managed to get the "Rakish Audacity" feature to work when placing the effect on the Abilities tab of a PC.
I tried with "INIT: [CHA]", "INIT_AE:CHA", and even using the inbuild Description choice that result in "INIT_AE:4;" when forcing to "Initiative 4" (see pic) 23425
I am doing something wrong?
Thank you

You'll have to forgive me, 5E is not my game. What is the result you are expecting it to have?

Salva
May 10th, 2018, 06:41
You'll have to forgive me, 5E is not my game.
Wow thats a surprise, from the awesome work you have done i though it was.

What is the result you are expecting it to have?
The effect wanted is to add the charisma modifier of the pc to its initiative rolls.
Thanks!!

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2018, 11:14
The effect wanted is to add the charisma modifier of the pc to its initiative rolls.
Thanks!!

This needs to be done from the character sheet. Adding in modifiers related directly to a character needs to be done by the character from their own actions tab; otherwise FG has no way of knowing what modifier to use. The way that this extension works does not relate the effects to the character in such a way that such a thing as you want can be successfully achieved.

So, just create an effect in the character's action tab INIT: [CHA], set the targeting to self and the expand to never and use the running man icon to place it on the PC.

celestian
May 10th, 2018, 16:14
Wow thats a surprise, from the awesome work you have done i though it was.

I've played one or two games but my main game is AD&D ;) A lot of my extensions come from the building of AD&D Core (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37777-Project-AD-amp-D-Core-Ruleset). Since they are both quite similar it's not that hard for me to create an extension of the same features for those that want them in the 5e ruleset.

Thanks!!

Ah, it's one of these issues (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=364538&viewfull=1#post364538). The post after it also goes into a little more detail. Zacchaeus explains it correctly tho.

tldr; effects are applied by the object it's attached to so I can keep track of when it's suppose to be there or not. In this case items.

Salva
May 10th, 2018, 20:03
Ah, it's one of these issues (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=364538&viewfull=1#post364538). The post after it also goes into a little more detail. Zacchaeus explains it correctly tho.

tldr; effects are applied by the object it's attached to so I can keep track of when it's suppose to be there or not. In this case items.
Ok got it thank you very much.
Still when i apply the effect only with the tool it doesnt work either:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LhWQxkWudlObDGQJeaIdLRlrLEJSj2He/view?usp=sharing
If i do it manually it does work.
Thanks

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2018, 20:10
The video is a little fuzzy but it seems that there's some extra letters being added which is why it doesn't work. Looks like the effect being created is INIT_AE: 4 The _AE bit is what's causing your issue.

Salva
May 10th, 2018, 20:25
The video is a little fuzzy but it seems that there's some extra letters being added which is why it doesn't work. Looks like the effect being created is INIT_AE: 4 The _AE bit is what's causing your issue.

Yeah sorry, i have corrected it already. I mean the quality of the video.
The _AE bit is placed automatically by the extension so maybe it has some issue when "translating" that one.
Any ideas?

hawkwind
June 2nd, 2018, 07:31
Has anyone else got this extension working with the current 5e rukeset?

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2018, 08:53
in What way does it not work with the current ruleset?

damned
June 2nd, 2018, 09:54
in What way does it not work with the current ruleset?

Generally its more fun if you dont actually say what you are having trouble with and you let everyone try and guess.

celestian
June 2nd, 2018, 17:03
Has anyone else got this extension working with the current 5e rukeset?

Yes.

ll00ll00ll00ll
June 3rd, 2018, 15:42
I have found my new "go-to" response to the "steep FG learning curve " argument. This image sums up how easy FG actually is... :p

celestian
June 3rd, 2018, 22:21
I have found my new "go-to" response to the "steep FG learning curve " argument. This image sums up how easy FG actually is... :p

Hahaha, yeah I went a little nuts trying to show the interactions. ;)

I've been meaning to make a new one with a little less clutter. Trying to show everything in one screen shot (as you impled) is confusing.

skj310
June 9th, 2018, 13:06
Howdy Celestian,

Just noticed that adding something like "ADVSKILL: Thieves' Tools" or "SKILL: 1 Thieves' Tools" isn't working as an added effect to a Thieves' Tools. So ultimately I created a "Thieves' Tools" or "Thieves Tools" skill on the SKILL TAB, and then added those 2 effects. Rolling the Thieves Tool skill results in:

[SKILL] Thieves' Tools [PROF]

The ADV or the extra +1 doesn't show on the rolled results. So I'm wondering if the ext doesn't work on SKILLS that are added to the SKILLS TAB (e.g. Thieves' Tools, Herbalism Kit, Forgery Kit, etc.)

Does that make sense?

Otherwise ... FYI ... damn good ext! Love being able to put a curse on the item and make it hidden, so player doesn't know what's happened. It's a bump when they realise that something is off on their rolls. Then eventually they start cluing in that something is off, and have a royal time figuring out what's happening :) Then the discussion comes as they learn of the curse. It's a nice touch for RP. Just saying.

skj310
June 9th, 2018, 13:10
apologies ... ignore above post ... apparently i had a brain fart. works just fine!

celestian
June 9th, 2018, 20:49
apologies ... ignore above post ... apparently i had a brain fart. works just fine!

Good to know. There is one issue that can't be corrected and thats the one where the effect requires the source to be the PC/NPC. Such as something like "INIT: [CHA]" wont work.

xxXEliteXxx
July 14th, 2018, 08:27
Hey, just letting you know: Unidentified items show their real names in the combat tracker effects.

Also, the effects are not removed from the player if the player gives the item to another player (via dragging the shield icon to other player's inventory).

celestian
July 14th, 2018, 20:49
Hey, just letting you know: Unidentified items show their real names in the combat tracker effects.

Also, the effects are not removed from the player if the player gives the item to another player (via dragging the shield icon to other player's inventory).

So, the first part I found and fixed (2.10 update) for the shown effect...but the last part im a bit confused about and will do more digging. When dragging an item from a player to another I would expect the node to trigger "onChildDeleted" but it's not. There might be a reason for this so going to poke around and figure out. If it's intended behavior I'll have to figure out a kludge.

celestian
July 14th, 2018, 22:05
Update 2.12, figured out the problem drag/drop/delete issue. I tested on 5e using 3.3.5 and it worked. Also found an issue with toggling ID that wasn't working as I intended and I corrected that also.

Bidmaron
July 14th, 2018, 22:39
What was the issue celestian?

celestian
July 15th, 2018, 01:36
What was the issue celestian?

The onChildDelete issue? It was because I did this:

DB.addHandler("charsheet.*.inventorylist.*", "onChildDeleted", updateFromDeletedInventory);

instead of this:

DB.addHandler("charsheet.*.inventorylist", "onChildDeleted", updateFromDeletedInventory);

Note the removed .* on the end of .inventorylist.

LordEntrails
July 15th, 2018, 01:58
The onChildDelete issue? It was because I did this:

DB.addHandler("charsheet.*.inventorylist.*", "onChildDeleted", updateFromDeletedInventory);

instead of this:

DB.addHandler("charsheet.*.inventorylist", "onChildDeleted", updateFromDeletedInventory);

Note the removed .* on the end of .inventorylist.
This is not going to look good on your annual review...

Bidmaron
July 15th, 2018, 02:34
Thanks, Celestian. You have done some great work on this, and it almost makes me wish I played 5e.

celestian
July 15th, 2018, 05:51
Thanks, Celestian. You have done some great work on this, and it almost makes me wish I played 5e.

hah, I've been tempted to play 5e myself mainly cause of all the content and then I wouldn't need to write these things but then it's part of the fun.

It's sourced from my AD&D ruleset, to bad you don't play that either ;)

Bidmaron
July 15th, 2018, 13:14
Yeah, I am a PF guy. I think WotC hit the ideal balance with 3.5, and I turned to PF when Wizards went to that awful 4th edition.

I used to play AD&D many years ago.

celestian
July 16th, 2018, 16:31
This is not going to look good on your annual review...

Tis true ;)

I pickup new things like this daily. I'm envious of the guys that have been doing this for years and know all this stuff ;)

Kibri_Oakbright
August 17th, 2018, 08:18
Did this extension get broken with the latest patch? My PLAYER advanced effects no longer seem to be getting added to the Combat Tracker when adding the player to the tracker (not visible in the Combat Tracker as an effect on the character) nor are they applying when damage is done to the player. Thnx

EDIT - perhaps nevermind? The effects I was trying to add were Jack of all Trades and racial Resists. The effects code works just fine as a Action Power, but the same syntax will not work in the Advanced Effects area of the Abilities tab. After reading some more of this thread I am taking it those type of effects have to be manually applied? If this is correct please just ignore this post. Thnx again celestian

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2018, 10:45
Racial resistances should work fine with this extension I think (RESIST: <damagetype> should work. For Jack of All trades it depends on how you are creating the effect.

celestian
August 17th, 2018, 15:20
Did this extension get broken with the latest patch? My PLAYER advanced effects no longer seem to be getting added to the Combat Tracker when adding the player to the tracker (not visible in the Combat Tracker as an effect on the character) nor are they applying when damage is done to the player. Thnx

It should function as expected under 3.3.6. I ran various tests myself. However if you do find a problem do let me know.

Racial resistances should work fine with this extension I think (RESIST: <damagetype> should work. For Jack of All trades it depends on how you are creating the effect.

Zacchaeus is correct, resists should work. I am unfamiliar with "Jack of all Trades" tho so can't be sure until I see what the effect is.

flynnkd
August 21st, 2018, 01:40
How would you enact a Belt of Ogre Strength, an item that sets your STR to 19. Do you have to put it in as a modifier to the users STR, which means you have to customise it for each character?

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2018, 01:47
How would you enact a Belt of Ogre Strength, an item that sets your STR to 19. Do you have to put it in as a modifier to the users STR, which means you have to customise it for each character?

Yes, since there isn’t a way for Fantasy Grounds to calculate the difference. So if the character has currently 15 strength then it would be STR: 4 if it was 11 it would be STR: 8.

Nyghtmare
August 22nd, 2018, 04:02
The Savage Worlds ruleset allows you to set an attribute as well as modify it, so perhaps one day the 5e ruleset can be updated to do so as well.

celestian
August 22nd, 2018, 07:16
The Savage Worlds ruleset allows you to set an attribute as well as modify it, so perhaps one day the 5e ruleset can be updated to do so as well.

AD&D Core does as well so it is possible. I imagine at some point they will add some type of support for it for 5e though.

Kibri_Oakbright
August 23rd, 2018, 08:28
I still cant get this extension to work. Have tried something simple like RESIST: lightning which shows as [RESIST: lightning] visibility [show] under advanced effects on the character sheet. Added the character to CT still no effect visible nor is it applying the effects. Removed character from CT, closed character sheet. Re-added character to CT and still same result. Tried the effect on 4 other character sheets in same campaign and same result, none of them working.

Any known issues with other extensions causing the problem? I will try to start a new campaign and see if it works without other extensions but thought I would ask first.

EDIT:
OK, so I created a new campaign and new character sheet and the extension seems to work there. I will go one by one adding other extensions and see if one of the other extensions is causing the failure, or if for some reason the character sheets in my main campaign are "bugged" somehow and just not working with this extension. Will try to keep updated on what I find out. THNX

celestian
August 23rd, 2018, 15:05
EDIT:
OK, so I created a new campaign and new character sheet and the extension seems to work there. I will go one by one adding other extensions and see if one of the other extensions is causing the failure, or if for some reason the character sheets in my main campaign are "bugged" somehow and just not working with this extension. Will try to keep updated on what I find out. THNX

More than likely it's another extension causing this problem. They are stomping over each other trying to do similar tasks with the same functions.

I can't guess which one but anything that works with effects or combat tracker would be a good start.

Kibri_Oakbright
August 24th, 2018, 06:34
Well I figured it out and it is rather silly actually. I seemed to have an older version of your? effects EXT, called Item Enhancements, installed as well as your Advanced Effects. Seems when running both they were canceling each other out. HAHAHA. Anyway, just a heads up for anyone that might have the older Item Enhancement EXT it will indeed conflict with Advanced Effects. My bad but glad i figured it out. Thnx again everyone for your help and patience with a newer FG user.

Rumtintin
September 20th, 2018, 05:33
Tonight, during a class in FGC, we noticed some behavior with Advanced Effects turned on. In the damage section for weapons, the 'Multiplier' field lost its functionality, regardless of the Stat being used (abilities, level, prof, etc.). The Multiplier worked for Spells (damage or heal) but not weapons. When the table was re-opened with the only change being the disabling of the extension, the multiplier began working again.

Attached is a sample for a level 1 PC. The 2x multipler (times Level) resolves to +2 for spells, but not for weapons.

Not sure if this was an operator error, but it was reproduceable on multiple tables.

celestian
September 20th, 2018, 05:48
Tonight, during a class in FGC, we noticed some behavior with Advanced Effects turned on. In the damage section for weapons, the 'Multiplier' field lost its functionality, regardless of the Stat being used (abilities, level, prof, etc.). The Multiplier worked for Spells (damage or heal) but not weapons. When the table was re-opened with the only change being the disabling of the extension, the multiplier began working again.

Attached is a sample for a level 1 PC. The 2x multipler (times Level) resolves to +2 for spells, but not for weapons.

Not sure if this was an operator error, but it was reproduceable on multiple tables.

I'll have to dig into it and see whats up. I'm not familiar with this in 5e. Thanks for the bug report. I certainly can see the same behavior.

Rumtintin
September 20th, 2018, 05:58
Sounds good - certainly an 'edge case,' but we happened to stumble upon it so I figured I'd pass it along. Big fan of the extension.

celestian
September 20th, 2018, 06:08
I'll have to dig into it and see whats up. I'm not familiar with this in 5e. Thanks for the bug report. I certainly can see the same behavior.

Actually this was easier than I thought. Try this version and tell me if it works for you. My testing showed it did. If it does I'll update the first post with it as "3.1".

edit: removed attachment

Rumtintin
September 20th, 2018, 06:20
Actually this was easier than I thought. Try this version and tell me if it works for you. My testing showed it did. If it does I'll update the first post with it as "3.1".

Boom - that did it, works like a charm, nice job!

celestian
September 20th, 2018, 15:53
Update 3.1

* bugfix: issues with multipliers and weapon damage corrected.

(see first post for download)

AlchemicalAgent
October 15th, 2018, 15:27
Just wanted to say this is great work! Now adamantine armor actually works like it's supposed to.

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2018, 16:24
Just wanted to say this is great work! Now adamantine armor actually works like it's supposed to.

How did you achieve this since I know of no effect either with or without the extension that turns critical hits into non critical ones?

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2018, 17:57
If I remember right, you can use "IMMUNE: critical" effect to ignore critical damage, which essentially treats critical hits as normal hits in the long run.

Regards,
JPG

AlchemicalAgent
October 15th, 2018, 18:10
How did you achieve this since I know of no effect either with or without the extension that turns critical hits into non critical ones?

If I remember right, you can use "IMMUNE: critical" effect to ignore critical damage...

Yes, that's exactly how I did it. The player also has heavy armor master so I just made these two effects that are applied when he wears it.

Adamantine Plate Armor;IMMUNE: critical;
Adamantine Plate Armor;RESIST: 3 slashing,bludgeoning,piercing,!magic

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2018, 18:36
If I remember right, you can use "IMMUNE: critical" effect to ignore critical damage, which essentially treats critical hits as normal hits in the long run.

Regards,
JPG

Yes, yes, of course :)

ItsCliffGaming
October 28th, 2018, 03:03
OK - 2 Questions for you guys!

Is it possible to set something up that only happens on a Nat 1? Similar to like "IF: critical;" - is there an "IF: automatic miss;" or anything similar?

Would it be possible to set it up so, on a critical, it does damage, and also heals the wielder of the weapon with said effect on it?

Zacchaeus
October 28th, 2018, 04:01
Nope, to both i’m afraid.

The healing bit can be done by negating the damage (right click on the result in cha and select +/- and drag the result onto the character that gets the heal.

esmdev
October 28th, 2018, 05:06
It seems like there must be some way to detect a natural 1 on to hit rolls because the built in fumble table works when we roll a natural 1.

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2018, 05:11
It seems like there must be some way to detect a natural 1 on to hit rolls because the built in fumble table works when we roll a natural 1.
Yes, and you can trigger the fumble table with it. But the only effect that can detect a natural 1 is 'reroll', and that just rerolls, you can't have a natural 1 trigger something else (without writing an extension).

ItsCliffGaming
October 28th, 2018, 06:24
Yes, and you can trigger the fumble table with it. But the only effect that can detect a natural 1 is 'reroll', and that just rerolls, you can't have a natural 1 trigger something else (without writing an extension).

Now we need an extension writing wizard to fly in and say "Oh, that would be easy to do" and have it already attached to the reply! lol *fingers crossed*

HuseyinCinar
November 27th, 2018, 16:22
I'm using this extension and in my first real game on FG yesterday I encountered a problem. Not a problem per se but maybe a suggestion?

The party came across a roadblock and wanted to investigate. 2 people went ahead and started looking around. One found something hiding in the bushes. I used the little button on the encounter page to add them to the CT and create their pre-placed tokens. When I did that, there were 4 chat messages saying "Goblin added" or something. Those messages revealed to the party that there were 4 Goblins in the encounter. I was only going to reveal one of the Tokens and go from there and maybe the others would be a surprise.

Is this normal behavior? What can I do to prevent this?

Edit: Added screenshot 25407

celestian
November 27th, 2018, 17:21
I'm using this extension and in my first real game on FG yesterday I encountered a problem. Not a problem per se but maybe a suggestion?

The party came across a roadblock and wanted to investigate. 2 people went ahead and started looking around. One found something hiding in the bushes. I used the little button on the encounter page to add them to the CT and create their pre-placed tokens. When I did that, there were 4 chat messages saying "Goblin added" or something. Those messages revealed to the party that there were 4 Goblins in the encounter. I was only going to reveal one of the Tokens and go from there and maybe the others would be a surprise.

Is this normal behavior? What can I do to prevent this?

Edit: Added screenshot 25407

I would remove the effects that do nothing (that blank message seems to imply that there are effects on those npcs w/o any text).

You can also "hide" effects from PCs so that they don't see that. Check the options for visibility for each effect configuration.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 17:46
I fear you worry over nothing. Although in the DM chat it shows that Goblins have been added with an effect. The players will have been completely oblivious to this since nothing would have shown on their chat.

celestian
November 27th, 2018, 18:41
I fear you worry over nothing. Although in the DM chat it shows that Goblins have been added with an effect. The players will have been completely oblivions to this since nothing would have shown on their chat.

I am not familiar with his theme so couldn't tell if that was DM only chat. I assumed he had a client connected that said they could see it.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 19:02
I am not familiar with his theme so couldn't tell if that was DM only chat. I assumed he had a client connected that said they could see it.

Judging by the CT that is the DM view. But in any case the players will never see what is being added to the CT. Players are not aware of NPCs on the CT or on the map until they are made visible by the DM. Furthermore effects which are applied to a creature such as resistances etc are not broadcast to the players either. So even if the Goblins above had an actual effect or not would be immaterial as far as the players are concerned. Once the NPCs are made visible then there is a message sent to the client to say that it is the NPCs turn - but even then effects applied to the NPC don't get broadcast.

celestian
November 27th, 2018, 19:30
Judging by the CT that is the DM view. But in any case the players will never see what is being added to the CT. Players are not aware of NPCs on the CT or on the map until they are made visible by the DM. Furthermore effects which are applied to a creature such as resistances etc are not broadcast to the players either. So even if the Goblins above had an actual effect or not would be immaterial as far as the players are concerned. Once the NPCs are made visible then there is a message sent to the client to say that it is the NPCs turn - but even then effects applied to the NPC don't get broadcast.

I wrote my own add/remove messages to output specific values (so you could see what item applied/etc). So unless you set the effect "hide" it will show... unless it's an item an unidentified I think.

I might go back and see about adding in a default to hiding npcs effects dropped into the CT since they initially are invisible anyway.

Here is the option you need to set. This option works across npc, pcs and items.

https://i.imgur.com/hxlpjt7.png

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 20:21
I agreed that unhidden effects on an NPC will be visible on the client side CT; but my point was that this fact isn't broadcast in chat which was I think what the OP was concerned about. Even with effects not hidden nothing will show up on the chat as far as effects on an NPC is concerned; not even effects which the PCs might have applied.

celestian
November 27th, 2018, 20:25
I agreed that unhidden effects on an NPC will be visible on the client side CT; but my point was that this fact isn't broadcast in chat which was I think what the OP was concerned about. Even with effects not hidden nothing will show up on the chat as far as effects on an NPC is concerned; not even effects which the PCs might have applied.

But it does broadcast in chat unless it's hidden. That's what I was saying. I use the CoreRPG add effect but I don't use it's text output for the reasons previously mentioned.

Trenloe
November 27th, 2018, 20:38
To clarify what celestian is saying - the chat messages shown in the screenshot are custom messages coded in the extension - it completely depends on how those messages are coded as to whether they appear to just the GM or to all connected players.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 20:41
But it does broadcast in chat unless it's hidden. That's what I was saying. I use the CoreRPG add effect but I don't use it's text output for the reasons previously mentioned.

Ah, right, so it does. My testing was not thorough enough it would seem. I was testing cycling through the CT and it doesn't show when the NPCs turn comes around. But it does show when the NPC is first placed on the CT unless the effect is hidden.

Moon Wizard
November 28th, 2018, 03:28
It might make sense to verify for your custom output whether the CT node that the effects are being applied to are hidden, and and only use local chat message if hidden as an actor or as an effect.

Regards,
JPG

celestian
November 28th, 2018, 06:14
It might make sense to verify for your custom output whether the CT node that the effects are being applied to are hidden, and and only use local chat message if hidden as an actor or as an effect.

Regards,
JPG

Good plan. Based on this topic I've tweaked the next rev (will probably wait till 3.3.7 is out) have that functionality. At the very least when you drag/drop a NPC it should be hidden right off since ... obviously the npc is automatically hidden when first placed in there.

HuseyinCinar
December 13th, 2018, 08:16
Awesome!

The goblins being revealed was my bad because apparently while fiddling around I put an empty Effect on them, which showed up on Chat when I added them to the CT. And the players saw that.

Last week, I had built "Mage Armor; AC:3" to a mage NPC and I accidentally revealed that, AGAIN, because I had set it up as "Show" because once the PCs saw the character it would be obvious. I added the NPC to the CT a bit early to prepare the encounter while RPing, while completely forgetting the "Show" I sat up. I revealed something I shouldn't have.

I'll make sure I set up EVERYTHING as Hidden from now on :D

celestian
December 13th, 2018, 16:32
I'll make sure I set up EVERYTHING as Hidden from now on :D

It should "default" to "hide" when first adding because of the reasons you've mentioned.

celestian
December 19th, 2018, 19:16
I've reviewed the updates to 3.3.7 and do not believe any updates need to be made. Please let me know if you run across any issues if I missed something.

Tigon
January 2nd, 2019, 10:21
So my DM granted me a magical dagger that, in direct sunlight it is a normal +1 dagger, but when it is NOT in direct sunlight it is a +2 magical dagger with the damage die of a shortsword (1d6).

Obviously, Fantasy Grounds currently doesnt have a way to know if im in Sunlight or not right now (hopefully in FGU maybe?) Would this extension be able to be used in some manner to give me the option to do 1d4+1 or 1d6+2, or would i still need to create 2 actions for this item?

((Also open to other ideas how to best accomplish this))

celestian
January 2nd, 2019, 15:25
So my DM granted me a magical dagger that, in direct sunlight it is a normal +1 dagger, but when it is NOT in direct sunlight it is a +2 magical dagger with the damage die of a shortsword (1d6).

Obviously, Fantasy Grounds currently doesnt have a way to know if im in Sunlight or not right now (hopefully in FGU maybe?) Would this extension be able to be used in some manner to give me the option to do 1d4+1 or 1d6+2, or would i still need to create 2 actions for this item?

Without there being a day/night cycle within FG and managed in an effect somehow this extension won't help with that.

mattekure
January 2nd, 2019, 16:08

It would be much easier to just create two weapon entries on the actions tab, one for each. then just be careful to use the one thats appropriate.

pauljmendoza
January 23rd, 2019, 07:40
Using this extension, what effect do I add to an attack or weapon to grant an additional 1d8 damage on a critical. I could have sworn to have done this before in 5e. All of the versions of effects I have been adding, such as DMG: 1d8 bludgeoning, critical, and DMG: 1d8 critical just do not work.

Am I insane or had this actually worked at one point in the properties window, and for gods sake why is this so hard to have built into the rules as an item effect when it's something magic items do in game?

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2019, 10:43
DMG: 1d8, critical does work normally as you can see from the graphic. Don't know if it works with the extension or not although I don't see why it shouldn't.

celestian
January 23rd, 2019, 17:03
Just tested Zaccs options and it works.

Here is what I had set.

https://i.imgur.com/MV3r26g.png

pauljmendoza
January 23rd, 2019, 17:44
I had a space between the comma and the critical, lets see if that was the issue.

pauljmendoza
January 23rd, 2019, 18:03
That looks to have been the problem, thank you.

mostcallmetim
January 24th, 2019, 00:43
Attempted to use this mod to add effect to a weapon/character (Sword of Kas) that gives them a +1d10 to their initiative at the beginning of every combat. I currently have it working as a power in the CS, but I forget to add it often and so does the PC. If I copy that same format into the advanced effects area it doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried in the "description/coditions/modifiers" to write INIT: 1d10 or INIT AE: 1d10.

Also something that would be helpful would be a list of most used effects as sometimes with Fantasy Grounds you don't really know something can be automated until you've seen it done. For now I'll continue to just add a power and hope I can remembe

celestian
January 24th, 2019, 05:34
Attempted to use this mod to add effect to a weapon/character (Sword of Kas) that gives them a +1d10 to their initiative at the beginning of every combat. I currently have it working as a power in the CS, but I forget to add it often and so does the PC. If I copy that same format into the advanced effects area it doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried in the "description/coditions/modifiers" to write INIT: 1d10 or INIT AE: 1d10.

Also something that would be helpful would be a list of most used effects as sometimes with Fantasy Grounds you don't really know something can be automated until you've seen it done. For now I'll continue to just add a power and hope I can remembe

You don't roll initiative "with" a weapon. You attack or damage with it. Because of that the way you're trying to use it won't work.

If you set the effect on the weapon and do not select "action only" it will work with the caveat that it works all the time with any initiative roll (assuming the pc is in the combat tracker and the weapon is equipped).

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2019, 09:30

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

mostcallmetim
January 25th, 2019, 15:25
You don't roll initiative "with" a weapon. You attack or damage with it. Because of that the way you're trying to use it won't work.

If you set the effect on the weapon and do not select "action only" it will work with the caveat that it works all the time with any initiative roll (assuming the pc is in the combat tracker and the weapon is equipped).

Ah, thanks for that explaination, much appreciated.

mostcallmetim
January 25th, 2019, 15:25
Zacchaeus always helping those in need, Thank You.

Sargas
January 29th, 2019, 10:04
Hello all
is it possible for this awesome mod to work with pathfinder ?

LordEntrails
January 29th, 2019, 15:51
Hello all
Only if someone is willing to modify it and create a 3.5/PF version. The available effects and item definitions are different between 5E and PF.

celestian
January 29th, 2019, 20:13
Hello all

As mentioned previously it would require someone to write a version for Pathfinder. The systems are not similar enough for my extension to work with both.

Drogo210
March 2nd, 2019, 07:57
Hi celestian,

Would it be possible to make it works for Item Templates as well?

celestian
March 2nd, 2019, 19:34
Hi celestian,

Would it be possible to make it works for Item Templates as well?

Right now no but I'll take a look down the road and see how those work. I don't use them in my ruleset (which is where I ported the extension from) so will have to see what they do.

GavinRuneblade
March 16th, 2019, 21:58
Celestian, I was making a magic item recently and confirmed the behavior that two DMG properties only the second is working if they deal the dame damage type. This is true if they are on one effect or two for the same item.

DMG: 1 thunder
DMG: 1d4 thunder, critical
or

DMG: 1 thunder; DMG 1d4 thunder, critical

both only deal 1d4+1 on a crit and nothing on a normal hit.

I tried it with other extensions and only using yours, can confirm it is not a conflict with another extension. Both versions of the effect work fine if applied as an effect created on the PC actions tab (1 dmg on a normal hit and 1d4+1 on a crit), but not as an effect from an item using the extension.

celestian
March 17th, 2019, 01:36
Celestian, I was making a magic item recently and confirmed the behavior that two DMG properties only the second is working if they deal the dame damage type. This is true if they are on one effect or two for the same item.

or

both only deal 1d4+1 on a crit and nothing on a normal hit.

I tried it with other extensions and only using yours, can confirm it is not a conflict with another extension. Both versions of the effect work fine if applied as an effect created on the PC actions tab (1 dmg on a normal hit and 1d4+1 on a crit), but not as an effect from an item using the extension.

We've had a similar discussion on the topic of crits before here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=423578&viewfull=1#post423578) You might want to check that out.

I just tested a dagger with DMG:1 and another effect of DMG: 2d4,critical on the same weapon and it gave +1 on normal, and 2d4 extr on crit.

GavinRuneblade
March 18th, 2019, 02:34
We've had a similar discussion on the topic of crits before here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=423578&viewfull=1#post423578) You might want to check that out.

I just tested a dagger with DMG:1 and another effect of DMG: 2d4,critical on the same weapon and it gave +1 on normal, and 2d4 extr on crit.

*facepalm* same problem as pauljmendoza: I had a space after the comma. "thunder,critical" works "thunder, critical" does not. Thanks and sorry for the false alarm.

ae4355
March 28th, 2019, 17:10
I'm not certain if I'm doing something incorrectly, but I haven't been able to figure this out. I have a cleric who gained a ring that adds +1 to WIS. And so the ring is coded [WIS:1;] visbility [hide]. They have a base WIS score of 19. When rolling a WIS Check or WIS saving throw, the Effect +1 is present, however, when casting a spell on a target that prompts a SAVE DC check, the additional WIS +1 is not calculated.

paladiusdarkhelm
March 28th, 2019, 17:29
I'm not certain if I'm doing something incorrectly, but I haven't been able to figure this out. I have a cleric who gained a ring that adds +1 to WIS. And so the ring is coded [WIS:1;] visbility [hide]. They have a base WIS score of 19. When rolling a WIS Check or WIS saving throw, the Effect +1 is present, however, when casting a spell on a target that prompts a SAVE DC check, the additional WIS +1 is not calculated.

I have a similar issue, but it is with coded Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and the carrying capacity on the character sheet doesn't reflect the adjustments added by items.

celestian
March 28th, 2019, 17:41

I have a similar issue, but it is with coded Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and the carrying capacity on the character sheet doesn't reflect the adjustments added by items.

Both of these are related to how these type of effects are applied. You can read some discussions about them here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=389048&viewfull=1#post389048)and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=389077&viewfull=1#post389077).

paladiusdarkhelm
March 28th, 2019, 18:08
So, for the gauntlets of oger power, I'd actually need to not put this effect on the item, but rather, create a custom Action on the respective character's character sheet, and have the player click it "on" when the gaultlets are equiped, and that should incrament the carrying capacity and other STR-related options?

celestian
March 28th, 2019, 18:52
So, for the gauntlets of oger power, I'd actually need to not put this effect on the item, but rather, create a custom Action on the respective character's character sheet, and have the player click it "on" when the gaultlets are equiped, and that should incrament the carrying capacity and other STR-related options?

Based on my understanding of how 5E style effects are supposed to work yes. Since this extension needs to change the "source" of the effect to maintain it properly that is the one case where it doesn't work the way you'd expect. The 5E ruleset needs the "source" to be the player for ability scores and I believe saves.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2019, 21:07
Celestian is correct. For effects which rely on a PCTag (STR, DEX, LVL, PRF, CLASS) those effects need to be applied from the action tab of the character's sheet. This is because to work correctly FG needs to know what the source of the Tag is. If the effect is on an action tab then FG knows that the source is the player character and so it can find the STR, DEX or whatever it needs to work out what the bonus should be. If the tag is on an item it can't know because the item doesn't have such ability scores, levels, proficiencies or class.

GavinRuneblade
March 29th, 2019, 07:05

I'm not where I can test, but check if it applies from effects/spells. If not then that might be a bug report for 5e rather than an issue with the advanced effects mod. If spells work and the items don't then it is probably the mod.

Might and probably are as accurate as I can get without testing.

Edit: Ninja'd by the experts. ^.^

Varsuuk
April 29th, 2019, 01:53
Hey Celestian, I am only up to page 3 but I saw the time and I need to setup for GAME OF THRONES (tearfest likely) tonight.

What I wanted to know is do you have a writeup somewhere for this extension where some of the cycle options are explained?

I am transferring some of this code from the Core/2E to my S&W for races (I try to copy small parts at a time to understand them and not to take more than need which then confuses readers, including me 6 months later)

I see for example on Ability modifiers:
Modifier, Modifier%, Base, Base%

(There may be more, I only just finished saves one and started on this one)

So modifier seems clear and easy. What is modifier%, is it like +10% on STR? I suspect not since that would result in weird numbers but maybe something in 2E has this its been years :)

What would BASE mean in Ability Effects? Is it like it gives you a Min Str if Base->str->12 is set?? Not sure here -and of course BASE% is even more confusing to me.

6 MINS TO WINTERFELL BATTLE.... I'm outies...

celestian
April 29th, 2019, 02:16
Hey Celestian, I am only up to page 3 but I saw the time and I need to setup for GAME OF THRONES (tearfest likely) tonight.

What I wanted to know is do you have a writeup somewhere for this extension where some of the cycle options are explained?

I am transferring some of this code from the Core/2E to my S&W for races (I try to copy small parts at a time to understand them and not to take more than need which then confuses readers, including me 6 months later)

I see for example on Ability modifiers:
Modifier, Modifier%, Base, Base%

(There may be more, I only just finished saves one and started on this one)

So modifier seems clear and easy. What is modifier%, is it like +10% on STR? I suspect not since that would result in weird numbers but maybe something in 2E has this its been years :)

What would BASE mean in Ability Effects? Is it like it gives you a Min Str if Base->str->12 is set?? Not sure here -and of course BASE% is even more confusing to me.

6 MINS TO WINTERFELL BATTLE.... I'm outies...

I'm not sure what you're after but the Advanced Effects thread here isn't the same as the Advanced Effects in the 2E ruleset. The 2E ruleset has a expanded list of features on effects. This mod doesn't do anything with base ability scores because 5E doesn't support it.

Varsuuk
April 29th, 2019, 02:49
Sorry, question still stands but will move to workshop and try to restate -wasn’t looking at this ext - made mistake thand bling was same of course it isn’t but was rushing and tried to not start a thread.

Anyhow I it’s still n bio and I posted during the paused hbogo :)

damned
April 29th, 2019, 02:56
Varsuuk - you are dribbling again!

Giulymani
May 18th, 2019, 13:56
Hello guys,

I have been trying the extension for a while, but I have experienced a big issue.

Basically, if I use the following syntax, it doesn't work:

IFT: TYPE (dragon); ATK: 2

I left the spaces in the same way I typed it on FG.

However, if I try the same conditional effect, but instead of "ATK: 2", with "DMG: 2d8" (i.e.) it seems working properly.

May someone help me, please?

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2019, 14:03
Celestian; I was helping Giuly on Discord with this and there does seem to be an issue with such an effect. I wasn't sure if it was intended or a bug.

As Giuly says adding the effect to a weapon seems to be missing out the ATK: 2 bit. The effect appears correctly on the CT and shows that it is being applied correctly to the CT from the weapon in question. However the +2 isn't added to the attack roll if the PC targets an appropriate type of creature and then double clicks the attack roll. Interestingly if I drag and drop the attack the EFFECTS +2 appears in chat but still doesn't get added to the attack roll.

Giulymani
May 18th, 2019, 18:45
Celestian; I was helping Giuly on Discord with this and there does seem to be an issue with such an effect. I wasn't sure if it was intended or a bug.

As Giuly says adding the effect to a weapon seems to be missing out the ATK: 2 bit. The effect appears correctly on the CT and shows that it is being applied correctly to the CT from the weapon in question. However the +2 isn't added to the attack roll if the PC targets an appropriate type of creature and then double clicks the attack roll. Interestingly if I drag and drop the attack the EFFECTS +2 appears in chat but still doesn't get added to the attack roll.

That's true! We worked together on the case, but unfortunately it was helpless. In my case, I need to understand if the issue can be sorted out or not, as my players would benefit by the extension as they are not very "goodly geek" with FG. So, such a tool that can allow me to apply them particular effects on weapons (or personal effect) would be extremely useful.

celestian
May 18th, 2019, 19:31
Looks like it's getting added to me tho it doesn't show in the total roll, it does show on the attack.

(Using effect Greatsword;IFT:TYPE(giant);ATK:2)

https://i.imgur.com/Xa0GsPW.png

Damage DOES show up in the total roll:

(Using Greatsword;IFT:TYPE(giant);DMG:3)
https://i.imgur.com/RGqQTwi.png

I'm not sure why ATK does this but I'll poke around. Since it's actually still adding it in it seems to just be a display issue for now and I'll look at it in time.

Moon Wizard
May 18th, 2019, 22:14
The extra modifiers should only be applied once the roll is applied to the creature. Because any target conditions should only be applied after the target is specified not in the base roll.

So, the attack version is technically more correct. Remember that attack and damage rolls can be applied to other creatures by dragging and dropping.

Regards,
JPG

Giulymani
May 19th, 2019, 10:21
Looks like it's getting added to me tho it doesn't show in the total roll, it does show on the attack.

(Using effect Greatsword;IFT:TYPE(giant);ATK:2)

https://i.imgur.com/Xa0GsPW.png

Damage DOES show up in the total roll:

(Using Greatsword;IFT:TYPE(giant);DMG:3)
https://i.imgur.com/RGqQTwi.png

I'm not sure why ATK does this but I'll poke around. Since it's actually still adding it in it seems to just be a display issue for now and I'll look at it in time.

You can see my example below, and it seems not working.

Now I don't what I did wrong or simply the extension doesn't work with my FG.

It would be extremely helpful to figure it out for my players to have the extension working properly.

Thanks in advance for your support Celestian :)

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2019, 10:46
Celestian. I hadn't noticed that Attack[x] total and you are correct if the attack is drag dropped onto the target. In that case the Bonus is being added to the attack roll even though the display doesn't show it. However if you double click the attack then the bonus isn't being added in as far as I can see. In the graphic the first attack was made using target and double click the damage. The second one was made via drag and drop. An interesting conundrum - maybe :)

Giulymani
May 19th, 2019, 11:01
Celestian. I hadn't noticed that Attack[x] total and you are correct if the attack is drag dropped onto the target. In that case the Bonus is being added to the attack roll even though the display doesn't show it. However if you double click the attack then the bonus isn't being added in as far as I can see. In the graphic the first attack was made using target and double click the damage. The second one was made via drag and drop. An interesting conundrum - maybe :)

It works indeed!

damned
May 19th, 2019, 11:23
Zacchaeus both had +7 added so both got the same modifier - but only one git the description.

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2019, 14:39
Zacchaeus both had +7 added so both got the same modifier - but only one git the description.

The character used in the test has a base +7 bonus for his crossbow attack; so the bonus should in both cases have been +9. I did some more testing. The original character that I tested on was an existing one which existed in the campaign before I added the extension to the campaign for testing. If I create a new character in the campaign and add the same effect to a weapon in the new character then the 'EFFECTS +2' appears in chat both when the attack is made by double clicking or drag/dropping and in both cases the Attack [x] shows the correct total roll. But the dice string + bonus still misses the additional 2 points from the effect. However the correct ffigure is being used to determine hit or miss, so I believe that Celestian is correct in that it is simply a visual thing.

The attached graphic shows an attack against the dragon which has an AC of 18. Using the manual dice roller the roll was set to 14 and as you can see it shows a hit on an 18 (character's to hit bonus of +2 and the effect also +2 making a total of 18). Visually however the dice says the result is 16 (14+2 instead of 14+4).

Larus
May 21st, 2019, 18:06
Terrible sorry if this was already discussed: is it at all possible with this extencion (or any other way) to add racial resistance to PC? Like dwarven resiliance or hellish ones? Coundn't find it anywhere and my search led me here.

celestian
May 21st, 2019, 18:14
Terrible sorry if this was already discussed: is it at all possible with this extencion (or any other way) to add racial resistance to PC? Like dwarven resiliance or hellish ones? Coundn't find it anywhere and my search led me here.

This is where that would fit.

https://i.imgur.com/EV4LghR.png

Trenloe
May 21st, 2019, 18:34
However the correct ffigure is being used to determine hit or miss, so I believe that Celestian is correct in that it is simply a visual thing.
Correct. This is the way IFT has always worked for attacks - in most rulesets, not just 5E. As Moon Wizard mentions, it's due to the possibility of re-using the attack against another target (or having multiple targets), where the effects may apply, or not. Hence the original roll total is not modified, but the attack value against a matching creature type is modified.

Zacchaeus
May 21st, 2019, 20:42
Correct. This is the way IFT has always worked for attacks - in most rulesets, not just 5E. As Moon Wizard mentions, it's due to the possibility of re-using the attack against another target (or having multiple targets), where the effects may apply, or not. Hence the original roll total is not modified, but the attack value against a matching creature type is modified.

Aha. Right, I can see where that would be needed. Jolly good; nothing to see here.

Larus
June 1st, 2019, 12:19
Need help: i would like to make effect to rapier of lifestealing (3d6 necrotic on critical roll)? wrote "DMG:3D6 necrotic,critical" doesnt appear to be working.
Sorry, am terribly new to this and just getting a hang of this

celestian
June 1st, 2019, 17:34
Need help: i would like to make effect to rapier of lifestealing (3d6 necrotic on critical roll)? wrote "DMG:3D6 necrotic,critical" doesnt appear to be working.

This isn't a Advanced Effects thing but how effects in general are handled it seems. The order of the keywords seem to matter.

DMG:3d6 critical,necrotic

That worked for me, having critical first.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2019, 22:12

The effect you are looking for is DMG: 3d6, necrotic, critical. It's a lower case 'd' rather than an upper case one. I've also tested critical, necrotic and necrotic, critical and it still works the same way - at least it does when not using the extension (I didn't test on the extension).

Dtoad
June 1st, 2019, 23:41
If you want actual "life steal" I would set up a spell on the actions tab with the above code. That keeps it separate from the other damage so the dm can control-drag it from chat to the PCs wounds to heal the PC, if that's what you actually want to do.

edit: BTW, this extension is AWESOME.

celestian
June 2nd, 2019, 01:16
The effect you are looking for is DMG: 3d6, necrotic, critical. It's a lower case 'd' rather than an upper case one. I've also tested critical, necrotic and necrotic, critical and it still works the same way - at least it does when not using the extension (I didn't test on the extension).

Ah, I missed the comma behind the damage, didn't catch that.

This is why im not a big fan of string parsed options. To picky!

Larus
June 3rd, 2019, 18:34
Thank you all oh so much, it worked like a charm. Added with this extention, cause i dunno where to add otherwise. But it works which is good!

If you want actual "life steal" I would set up a spell on the actions tab with the above code. That keeps it separate from the other damage so the dm can control-drag it from chat to the PCs wounds to heal the PC, if that's what you actually want to do.
Just to see if i got this straight - i set up a heal spell for 3d6? But it would actually throw this dices and the amount probly wount be the same as the damage? Or am i missing something?

Dtoad
June 3rd, 2019, 19:56
Thank you all oh so much, it worked like a charm. Added with this extention, cause i dunno where to add otherwise. But it works which is good!

Just to see if i got this straight - i set up a heal spell for 3d6? But it would actually throw this dices and the amount probly wount be the same as the damage? Or am i missing something?

No, it would be a damage spell, DMG:3d6,necrotic applied to the target that you would use manually when you crit. Don't put anything on the weapon itself. When you roll it, the DM would have to control-drag it (control makes it negative)from the chat window to the players wound (or temp) box so that the damage the creature takes and the "life steal"(heal) the PC receives are the same. I don't know of any other way to make the same roll apply to two different actions/effects, which is what I believe you are trying to do here.

Also, I cant figure out how to make a weapon heal[self] on a crit. Don't know if it can be done.

The Decorated Man
June 18th, 2019, 04:08
Can this be used for race traits ie. fey ancestry (no magic sleep ect..) So that when the PC’s go into the CT the effect is automatically applied?

celestian
June 18th, 2019, 06:06
Can this be used for race traits ie. fey ancestry (no magic sleep ect..) So that when the PC’s go into the CT the effect is automatically applied?

Yes, just place the effect in the "abilities" tab for the PC and whenever they are placed into the CT it will be applied every time.

GavinRuneblade
June 18th, 2019, 06:42

This is actually my most common use of it. There's a lot of races in DMsGuild products that have features/traits that were never implemented, so adding them is quick and easy.

Forecaster
August 13th, 2019, 08:53
I'm getting a script error when I try to add an effect to an NPC sheet using v3.1 in FG 3.3.8:

Script Error: [string "effects_list"]:1: createWindow: Unable to create window

celestian
August 13th, 2019, 15:36
I'm getting a script error when I try to add an effect to an NPC sheet using v3.1 in FG 3.3.8:

I am unable to replicate the error. Added an effect to a NPC then placed the NPC into the CT. Did not get any errors.

I would recommend removing all other extensions and trying it again.

Dtoad
November 3rd, 2019, 18:00
Has anyone been able to use this extension in FGU? I get a xml error that crashes it altogether.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2019, 18:05
Has anyone been able to use this extension in FGU? I get a xml error that crashes it altogether.

Until the author of any extension has had the chance to test their extensions with FGU and posted that they are compatible I'd assume that none of them work.

celestian
November 3rd, 2019, 18:58
Until the author of any extension has had the chance to test their extensions with FGU and posted that they are compatible I'd assume that none of them work.

Correct, I've not looked at any extensions yet. I am focusing on the ruleset then will step though the extensions to resolve any issues. This one will be one of the first I do review since the same features are in the ruleset it should be trivial when I get to it.

Dtoad
November 3rd, 2019, 19:26
Awesome and thank you. Can't imagine 5e without this extension. Smiteworks should pay you to add it to the official ruleset.

celestian
November 6th, 2019, 07:40

Here is a version I got to load. I've not run extensive testing as there are still some issues with FGU/CT and updates in general but this is my first pass and tentatively it seems to work.

Naroe
November 7th, 2019, 07:15
You need to update for FGU as well

celestian
November 7th, 2019, 15:52
You need to update for FGU as well

The post right above your post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=461203&viewfull=1#post461203) has an FGU test version.

Dtoad
November 7th, 2019, 17:51
Thank you Celestian, it loads just fine now. Two things from my quick testing..

The drop down menus are not there. Clicking the top menu scrolls through the SAVE, IMMUNITIES, ect, but no drop down menus below it.

You CAN, however, add an effect, and the ones I tested worked. BUT..when you close the add effect window on an item, the effect does not show immediately on the item. It you close the item window and re-open it, the effect is shown. The effect is shown in the combat tracker (after equiping) and works as advertised.

When adding an effect to the abilities tab, the same thing happens, except closing the character window does not help, when you re-open it you see a blank effect. When you add the pc to the combat tracker, however, the effect is shown there.

So...works, but it doesn't look like it works, if that makes sense. Thanks again for your work on this, it really is an indispensable extension.

celestian
November 7th, 2019, 18:14
You CAN, however, add an effect, and the ones I tested worked. BUT..when you close the add effect window on an item, the effect does not show immediately on the item. It you close the item window and re-open it, the effect is shown. The effect is shown in the combat tracker (after equiping) and works as advertised.

When adding an effect to the abilities tab, the same thing happens, except closing the character window does not help, when you re-open it you see a blank effect. When you add the pc to the combat tracker, however, the effect is shown there.

This is related to FGU having some issues with window refreshing (mentioned in post). It's been reported so I am sure they will sort it out.

I also think the combobox issue is connected to this problem since it's nothing but a window manipulation in the style of a combobox (it's not a combobox API control).

As they push through more updates I'll continue to work on these to make sure they function as they do in FGC.

Dtoad
November 12th, 2019, 20:18
Excellent and thanks again.

I did have a wild idea.. Is it feasible to assign an effect to an area on a map? Or perhaps an area around a token on a map? I suspect the answer is no, but it's worth throwing the idea out there.

celestian
November 12th, 2019, 21:23
Excellent and thanks again.

I did have a wild idea.. Is it feasible to assign an effect to an area on a map? Or perhaps an area around a token on a map? I suspect the answer is no, but it's worth throwing the idea out there.

Well, anything is "possible" but currently the only way to do that is a lot of kludgy written code that probably should be in the API (IMO). If they plan to implement audio/light/positional at some point down the road they will need to have some way to detect "tokenEnter" and "tokenExit" and trigger things based on that...If that comes along I'll be happy to make use of it.

But, not right now for this extension at least.

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 15:00
Does not seem to work properly. I am coding a simple ring of protection, I get this in the chat log when I equip the ring

Advanced effect ['Ring of Protection;STR:1;"] [to Tibbs] [by Ring of Protection]

That is one line, I entered saves for all of the abilities and entered a bonus of 1 for AC, first of all should it not specify saves? It looks like its boosting the entire stat bonus, second, it does not boost anything. The chat log says its applied, but when I roll there is no change

Trenloe
December 29th, 2019, 15:10
Does not seem to work properly. I am coding a simple ring of protection, I get this in the chat log when I equip the ring

Advanced effect ['Ring of Protection;STR:1;"] [to Tibbs] [by Ring of Protection]

That is one line, I entered saves for all of the abilities and entered a bonus of 1 for AC, first of all should it not specify saves? It looks like its boosting the entire stat bonus, second, it does not boost anything. The chat log says its applied, but when I roll there is no change
Can you provide a screen shot of what is entered in the item?

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 15:48

mattekure
December 29th, 2019, 15:52

the effect code for adding a bonus to saving throws is "SAVE: 1" The STR, CON codes affect the stat modifier. You can see the details here.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 15:53
I know that, but the extention does not allow me to free form code it and when I chose saves from the drop down, that's how it codes it

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 15:56
Yes I know, but the extension does not allow you to enter code, I choose saves from the drop down, and that's how it codded it

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 15:57
sorry for the duplicate

mattekure
December 29th, 2019, 15:58
The extension does let you manually enter the code. just dont select anything in the type.

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 15:59
A perfect thank you

mattekure
December 29th, 2019, 15:59
Or you can set the Type to Miscellaneous, then use the "Save" option.

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2019, 16:00
I know that, but the extention does not allow me to free form code it and when I chose saves from the drop down, that's how it codes it

He, Zandel. Do it this way for a generic save. The one you have chosen is for a specific save (use the same one for the AC as well; just add a new line).

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 16:11
OK so that works for saves now, but the AC does not seem to visibly change. Is it applied only in combat as a modifier?

mattekure
December 29th, 2019, 16:13
The AC modifier isnt displayed on the char sheet, but it is applied when an attack is made against the creature. You will see it in the chat window.

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 16:13
Here is how it looks now 31044