PDA

View Full Version : 5E Advanced Effects (items, npcs, characters)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

celestian
May 6th, 2022, 16:17
So last session one of my players noticed that his PC had a couple of effects on his sheet. In the CT I had it set to GM only. Is there a way for this extension to be edited to avoid divulging information to the players that they shouldn't have to avoid metagaming?

Players can see all the effects on their own "Abilities" tab because they are suppose to be able to manage them. You can "hide" things on items but you need to disable the Advanced Effects "Edit" option.

Other than that, there are no additional permission options.

Slagmoth
May 6th, 2022, 17:59
Players can see all the effects on their own "Abilities" tab because they are suppose to be able to manage them. You can "hide" things on items but you need to disable the Advanced Effects "Edit" option.

Other than that, there are no additional permission options.

Ok, just so I am clear on this. I have the AURA extension and it gave VULN to Piercing to those within 5 feet of the NPC. This showed up on character sheet even though I had it hidden in the Combat Tracker. And yes, all effects of which they are aware should be manageable to some extent but not the ones for which they would have no such knowledge.

I would expect there to be a conditional somewhere to check against before displaying elements of a collection in LUA to test against the elements of the XML tags.

This discovery is a downer for me because I do my best to obfuscate as much as possible from the players that the PCs do not actually know to help the experience be more immersive. I know there are limitations to a VTT though.

celestian
May 6th, 2022, 18:08
Ok, just so I am clear on this. I have the AURA extension and it gave VULN to Piercing to those within 5 feet of the NPC. This showed up on character sheet even though I had it hidden in the Combat Tracker. And yes, all effects of which they are aware should be manageable to some extent but not the ones for which they would have no such knowledge.

I would expect there to be a conditional somewhere to check against before displaying elements of a collection in LUA to test against the elements of the XML tags.

This discovery is a downer for me because I do my best to obfuscate as much as possible from the players that the PCs do not actually know to help the experience be more immersive. I know there are limitations to a VTT though.

It sounds like you're trying to place one time/short term effects in AE when it's not designed for that. AE was created for persistent, long term effects (Racial, Class, Items/etc).

Placing a effect on someone in CT directly and flagging it GM only will not show it to the player on their character sheet.

Slagmoth
May 6th, 2022, 18:17
Ok, this might be an issue with the AURA extension in either how it is parsing and decorating the effects on the PCs or (and I will test this later) I just set up the effect incorrectly.

I haven't added anything to the Advanced effects it just seems to be picking up things from this other extension. The Aura extension applies effects based on another effect. As an example, if the paladin has its aura in effect the allies nearby will gain SAV: [CHA]...

Zarestia
May 28th, 2022, 00:14
As a player I can't edit any effects anymore if the option to do so is enabled.
A label works afaik but everything else doesn't. Numberfields are not able to be edited.
When the GM opens the said effect, the entered information by the player is now visible.

Tested in 5e with only this extension.

celestian
June 15th, 2022, 17:01
I've pushed v5.7 to the Test channel for review. This version contains submissions by MeAndUnique.

Added effects for class features, race/subrace traits, and feats. When any of these that has an effectslist is added to the character sheet, the effects will be added to the character's effectlist and to the CT, if applicable.

Please report any errors you encounter.

MrDDT
June 15th, 2022, 19:46
I've pushed v5.7 to the Test channel for review. This version contains submissions by MeAndUnique.

Holy smokes this sounds awesome, thanks. I'm going to wait for it to go live before checking it out but sounds really good.

FGUDM
June 17th, 2022, 19:36

Currently using only Advanced Effects on the test build and none of the new features seem to work, I can add effects to class abilities, racial traits and feats just fine but the moment they are added into a character sheet they no longer have any effects and editing any of the feats, features or traits in the character sheet doesn't allow me to add an effect. Hope this helps.

MeAndUnique
June 18th, 2022, 16:14
Currently using only Advanced Effects on the test build and none of the new features seem to work, I can add effects to class abilities, racial traits and feats just fine but the moment they are added into a character sheet they no longer have any effects and editing any of the feats, features or traits in the character sheet doesn't allow me to add an effect. Hope this helps.

Thanks for reporting. Turns out the ruleset changes on TEST affected everything I had added for this. I have what I think to be a solution ready for celestian to review, so hopefully it all looks good and will be ready for testing before long.

celestian
June 18th, 2022, 23:44
Thanks for reporting. Turns out the ruleset changes on TEST affected everything I had added for this. I have what I think to be a solution ready for celestian to review, so hopefully it all looks good and will be ready for testing before long.

This rev (5.8) is now pushed to Test.

FGUDM
June 19th, 2022, 18:21

This rev (5.8) is now pushed to Test.
Using version 5.8 almost everything seems to be working as intended!
Testing with only this extension enabled, Feats, Class Features and Racial Traits are correctly being added to the character's advanced effects and their active effects in the combat tracker. However, this only occurs if the character is indeed added into the combat tracker.
If the character is absent from the combat tracker and a Feat, Class Feature or Racial Trait is added to the character sheet the effect will not be added to their advanced effects even if you later add them to the combat tracker.

I've also tested this extension with several other extensions enabled and did not notice any conflicting issues thus far.

Thanks for the quick update and hope this helps again!

eriktedesco
June 19th, 2022, 20:37
What's going to happen with the new version of Advanced Effects?

MeAndUnique
June 20th, 2022, 18:11
Using version 5.8 almost everything seems to be working as intended!
Testing with only this extension enabled, Feats, Class Features and Racial Traits are correctly being added to the character's advanced effects and their active effects in the combat tracker. However, this only occurs if the character is indeed added into the combat tracker.
If the character is absent from the combat tracker and a Feat, Class Feature or Racial Trait is added to the character sheet the effect will not be added to their advanced effects even if you later add them to the combat tracker.

I've also tested this extension with several other extensions enabled and did not notice any conflicting issues thus far.

Thanks for the quick update and hope this helps again!

Sorry about that. Another update is ready for celestian to review. Hopefully the last time else any patience for my antics be completely exhausted :p

celestian
June 23rd, 2022, 05:32
Sorry about that. Another update is ready for celestian to review. Hopefully the last time else any patience for my antics be completely exhausted :p

Pushed 5.9 to Test channel.

FGUDM
June 23rd, 2022, 07:19
No worries! Your hard work is very much appreciated! And thanks again for the quick update!

Pushed 5.9 to Test channel.
From what I've noticed in 5.9 so far, everything seems to be working as intended now, really looking forward to using this in the LIVE build of the game! :)

celestian
June 23rd, 2022, 15:25
No worries! Your hard work is very much appreciated! And thanks again for the quick update!

From what I've noticed in 5.9 so far, everything seems to be working as intended now, really looking forward to using this in the LIVE build of the game! :)

Glad to hear that ! Once the Beta is released I'll push this out to Live immediately.

Bearded Wonder
July 2nd, 2022, 15:39
I just had an Error pop up when trying to add an NPC to the combat tracker. After going into my test campaign and checking each extension individually I determined that it was the Automatic Effects extension. My test campaign for troubleshooting is 5e in the TEST channel and the extension version for this extension is 5.9. The error is this. Script execution error: [string "script/manager_effect_adnd.lua"]:352: attempt to call field 'addNPC' (a nil value).

MeAndUnique
July 2nd, 2022, 20:18
Oh yeah, the changes to TEST earlier this week would likely cause problems. Probably fairly easy to migrate to the new CombatRecordManager-based functionality, which is a pretty slick improvement imo.

septantrionalis
July 11th, 2022, 20:26
I'm trying to build a Survivor like ability into a weapon attack. It should read like this...

IF:Bloodied;REGEN:5

With the Action Only checked on. Am I doing something wrong or maybe these syntax options are not supported by this feature?

MrDDT
July 11th, 2022, 20:33
I'm trying to build a Survivor like ability into a weapon attack. It should read like this...

IF:Bloodied;REGEN:5

With the Action Only checked on. Am I doing something wrong or maybe these syntax options are not supported by this feature?

There is no action only here. You should uncheck that.

septantrionalis
July 11th, 2022, 21:21
I'm not seeing it work, with or without the action only option applied. I do want the regen to trigger on the attack or damage.

rhagelstrom
July 11th, 2022, 21:29
I'm not seeing it work, with or without the action only option applied. I do want the regen to trigger on the attack or damage.

REGEN is only evaluated at the start of the actors turn. It's not 5EAE that doesn't support it, it is just REGEN doesn't work like how you are trying to use it.

septantrionalis
July 11th, 2022, 21:34
Ok. Thanks you. Do you know if AC also works the same? Start of turn only? What about HEAL?

MrDDT
July 11th, 2022, 22:03

Ok. Thanks you. Do you know if AC also works the same? Start of turn only? What about HEAL?

Well, there is no action in the post you made, thus you can't use action only, no matter what your coding is or isn't, it's still not an action.

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? Maybe I can help.

septantrionalis
July 11th, 2022, 22:19
Well, there is no action in the post you made, thus you can't use action only, no matter what your coding is or isn't, it's still not an action.

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? Maybe I can help.

I'm trying to create a unique weapon ability that, when the PC uses this weapon and they are bloodied (half HP or less), the PC is healed for x. If they don't use this weapon, they should not benefit from the healing.

MrDDT
July 12th, 2022, 00:45
I'm trying to create a unique weapon ability that, when the PC uses this weapon and they are bloodied (half HP or less), the PC is healed for x. If they don't use this weapon, they should not benefit from the healing.

What do you mean by "use this weapon"?

Like hit something with it? Do damage? Equipped? Attuned?

Also how long does the "used" part last? 1 round? a week?

septantrionalis
July 12th, 2022, 04:11
What do you mean by "use this weapon"?

Like hit something with it? Do damage? Equipped? Attuned?

Also how long does the "used" part last? 1 round? a week?

A single attack (or damage) made with the weapon would trigger a heal, if the wielder is bloodied.

MeAndUnique
July 12th, 2022, 04:41
A single attack (or damage) made with the weapon would trigger a heal, if the wielder is bloodied.

I'm not aware of anything that will accomplish exactly the "on attack" trigger. The Action Only option from this extension is designed to cause effects that normally apply to every weapon action (attack and damage modifiers being the primary use case from the ruleset) and make them instead apply only when this specific weapon is used. The problem is that the REGEN effect has nothing to do with actions that Watsons make, as mentioned it applies simply at the start of the character's turn.

You might be able to use Better Combat Effects to make it work when the weapon deals damage though. I think SDMGADDS and DMGA are the two to look at, off the top of my head.

MrDDT
July 12th, 2022, 04:47

I'm going to assume a few things, like it's not temp HP, you only wanted it once a turn, etc.

This code will require

Advanced Effects and Better Combat Effects Gold.

This below goes on the weapon itself.
SDMGADDS: LoveTap; DUSE; ATURN
(Make sure to click action only)

This below goes in the effects list in the top right.
LoveTap;IF:Bloodied; REGENE: 5

DUSE will cause it to disable each attack, ATURN turns it back on at the start of any turn (note this is not start of round, so this can make it happen 2 times in a round, but only once a turn)

This also will heal at the end users turn. There are other ways to automate it but seemed like this one fit the best. You can use REGENA: 5 if you want it to insta heal, however, that can have other issues I've seen.

Let me know how it works out for you.

mattekure
July 12th, 2022, 23:11
Todays FG update impacted this extension. Adding an NPC to the combat tracker throws an error.

RigelOrionBeta
July 13th, 2022, 00:32
The error is:

[7/12/2022 7:31:33 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_adnd.lua"]:341: attempt to call field 'addNPC' (a nil value)

celestian
July 13th, 2022, 01:09
Update should be live now.

I am in the middle of several projects of my own and travelling for work so I'm not actively monitoring things currently.

septantrionalis
July 14th, 2022, 02:02
I'm going to assume a few things, like it's not temp HP, you only wanted it once a turn, etc.

This code will require

DUSE will cause it to disable each attack, ATURN turns it back on at the start of any turn (note this is not start of round, so this can make it happen 2 times in a round, but only once a turn)

This also will heal at the end users turn. There are other ways to automate it but seemed like this one fit the best. You can use REGENA: 5 if you want it to insta heal, however, that can have other issues I've seen.

Thank you, MrDDT. This looks great. I've bee moving and haven't been able to test it out yet. I'll post again, once I've been able to do so.

TomtheBu
July 17th, 2022, 20:59
Hi Celestian,

the 5E advanced effects extension seems to be incompatible to the official Level Up for 5E extension after the latest update. Opening any feat record entries of the LU Player´s Guide or the D&D Player´s Guide create following errors:

[7/17/2022 9:18:48 PM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (text) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (advanced_effects_contents) in windowclass (reference_feat)
[7/17/2022 9:18:48 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "reference_feat"]:6: attempt to index global 'text' (a nil value).

When the 5E Advanced Effects extension is disabled all Feat record entries open as expected, both from the Level Up Player´s Guide and the D&D Player´s Guide as well. The same happens when the Level Up 5E extension is disabled and the 5E Advanced Effects extension is loaded.

I also informed Leozelig who is the author of the Level Up 5E Extension and he will take a look on this issue.

Maybe it´s possible to make this extension compatible to Level Up 5E.

Thanks in advance :)

jfg1984
July 20th, 2022, 20:54
I'm encountering a pretty awful bug given the new updates that have happened and I've isolated it down to a conflict between 5E - Advanced Effects and Better Combat Effects Gold.

I think it has to do with the ActionDamage.applyDamage header change in 5E Ruleset.

celestian
July 20th, 2022, 21:47
I'm encountering a pretty awful bug given the new updates that have happened and I've isolated it down to a conflict between 5E - Advanced Effects and Better Combat Effects Gold.

I think it has to do with the ActionDamage.applyDamage header change in 5E Ruleset.

As I dont use applyDamage in AE I expect it's in your other mod... you should remove it and test...

jfg1984
July 20th, 2022, 21:51
When I ran only better combat effects gold it worked as intended.
When I ran better combat effects gold with advanced effects the bug was generated so it seems to be down to some interaction between the two extensions rather than an error existing solely in better combat effects gold.

rhagelstrom
July 20th, 2022, 22:45
That’s bceg. Working on it tonight. Sorry for the issue, got surprised by this update

jfg1984
July 21st, 2022, 01:03
That’s bceg. Working on it tonight. Sorry for the issue, got surprised by this update

No worries, thank you for the quick turn around. I'd hate to part with either BCEG or Advanced Effects, they're both so good!

Saagael
July 24th, 2022, 17:23
It seems there's a conflict between this extension and Close Encounter (my own creation). Is the code for this available anywhere so I can design a fix? My code is available on github (https://github.com/Gtaray/CloseEncounters).

The conflict is around the actions buttons on the actions tab on the PC sheet. Likely something is overwriting my own changes to power_action and power_action_mini, or it's overwriting the PowerManager.getPCPowerAction and PowerManager.performAction functions that my extension modifies.

I'm happy to help get this sorted.

bmos
July 24th, 2022, 18:06
Is the code for this available anywhere so I can design a fix?https://github.com/CelestianGC/AdvancedEffects

celestian
July 24th, 2022, 19:01
https://github.com/CelestianGC/AdvancedEffects

Thats the repo there for code on live. I do try and keep it current (it is right now) but it's not always ;)
\

Carpathian
August 4th, 2022, 08:06
Any updates? :) I love this addon so much it's not even funny :)

celestian
August 4th, 2022, 16:19
Any updates? :) I love this addon so much it's not even funny :)

No, if you're having a issue please post specific errors and version you are running. If it's a interaction with another extension I'd point you at that authors thread.

septantrionalis
August 4th, 2022, 19:06

This code will require

Ok. I've moved, completed a business trip, and now I'm back at it. I was happy to spend the $5 for BCEG extension as I've already experienced the many benefits of BCE. This worked perfectly. Thank you.

septantrionalis
August 4th, 2022, 19:36
I have a few relating questions to learning about the previous effect combo in this thread.

1. When referring to the "Action Only" check box, what constitutes an action? I assumed, when an effect was applied to a weapon and the Action Only box was checked the triggering "action" would be either the attack roll or the damage roll for that weapon.

2. "SDMGADDS" = SOURCE of the attack will add an effect to the SOURCE (itself) when damage is done. Is there any syntax that allows for the same except triggering on an attack? Something like: SOURCE of the attack will add an effect to the SOURCE (itself) when an attack is made.

3. I learned previously in this thread that REGEN only applies at the start of turn.
a. Are AC and HEAL are treated the same?
b. Can anyone direct me to where this is documented? I do not see it in the Fantasy Grounds wiki for 5e effects.

rhagelstrom
August 4th, 2022, 20:18
I have a few relating questions to learning about the previous effect combo in this thread.

1. When referring to the "Action Only" check box, what constitutes an action? I assumed, when an effect was applied to a weapon and the Action Only box was checked the triggering "action" would be either the attack roll or the damage roll for that weapon.

2. "SDMGADDS" = SOURCE of the attack will add an effect to the SOURCE (itself) when damage is done. Is there any syntax that allows for the same except triggering on an attack? Something like: SOURCE of the attack will add an effect to the SOURCE (itself) when an attack is made.

3. I learned previously in this thread that REGEN only applies at the start of turn.
a. Are AC and HEAL are treated the same?
b. Can anyone direct me to where this is documented? I do not see it in the Fantasy Grounds wiki for 5e effects.

BCEG documentation https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53856&d=1659564720

Probably best to further this discussion over there

septantrionalis
August 4th, 2022, 21:24
Doh! I forgot where I was. Thank you. The Action Only question is still appropriate for this thread.

When referring to the "Action Only" check box, what constitutes an action? I assumed, when an effect was applied to a weapon and the Action Only box was checked the triggering "action" would be either the attack roll or the damage roll for that weapon.

bmos
August 4th, 2022, 21:43
Doh! I forgot where I was. Thank you. The Action Only question is still appropriate for this thread.

When referring to the "Action Only" check box, what constitutes an action? I assumed, when an effect was applied to a weapon and the Action Only box was checked the triggering "action" would be either the attack roll or the damage roll for that weapon.Only those two things. Attack and Damage rolls.

celestian
August 4th, 2022, 21:43

When referring to the "Action Only" check box, what constitutes an action? I assumed, when an effect was applied to a weapon and the Action Only box was checked the triggering "action" would be either the attack roll or the damage roll for that weapon.

Action only means the effect is only applied when using an attack/damage action/rolls.

septantrionalis
August 5th, 2022, 15:57

This code will require

I'm glad the above works but I'm confused as to why this doesn't also work... LoveTap on Action Only and then use the provided duration fields to determine duration?

MrDDT
August 5th, 2022, 17:45
I'm glad the above works but I'm confused as to why this doesn't also work... LoveTap on Action Only and then use the provided duration fields to determine duration?

I'm not sure exactly what you trying to do.

ACTION ONLY is used for WEAPON ATTACKS only.

So when you use that weapon in combat it will apply the effects in either ATTACK or/and DAMAGE with that weapon only IF ACTION ONLY is checked.

You can use a duration field on effects, but if you are applying Advanced Effects, you can't do a duration as they are either on while equipped or on the Char when put into the CT. (or NPC). There is no duration for this.

If you have questions on how BCEG works, I would post over there and explain what you are asking. I'm not really fully sure what you are trying to do or what is not being understood.

Overall. Advanced Effects do not use duration.

septantrionalis
August 5th, 2022, 20:51
I'm not sure exactly what you trying to do.

ACTION ONLY is used for WEAPON ATTACKS only.

So when you use that weapon in combat it will apply the effects in either ATTACK or/and DAMAGE with that weapon only IF ACTION ONLY is checked.

You can use a duration field on effects, but if you are applying Advanced Effects, you can't do a duration as they are either on while equipped or on the Char when put into the CT. (or NPC). There is no duration for this.

If you have questions on how BCEG works, I would post over there and explain what you are asking. I'm not really fully sure what you are trying to do or what is not being understood.

Overall. Advanced Effects do not use duration.

I'm trying to understand how the Action Only option in 5E Advanced Effects is working. I think the combination of things noted above finally made it click for me...

I had thought...
Action Only meant the action would trigger the effect to be applied as a result of the action. So why couldn't any effect; LoveTap, Dodge, Blinded, Turned, etc. be the applied effect as a result of the action?

Now I'm understanding it to be...
Action Only means the effect is applied for that immediate action only. This would be the equivalent to Fantasy Ground's original Spell/Ability Effects field of Expend = On Next Action. Except Action Only would apply to every action from that weapon.

"Overall. Advanced Effects do not use duration." <- That's confusing, given the fields are built into the window when applying Effect Features to an item. Is the Type field also ignored by 5E Advanced Effects?

If I'm still misunderstanding, tell me. I'll try and discuss on your discord.

MrDDT
August 6th, 2022, 02:15
I'm trying to understand how the Action Only option in 5E Advanced Effects is working. I think the combination of things noted above finally made it click for me...

I had thought...
Action Only meant the action would trigger the effect to be applied as a result of the action. So why couldn't any effect; LoveTap, Dodge, Blinded, Turned, etc. be the applied effect as a result of the action?

Now I'm understanding it to be...
Action Only means the effect is applied for that immediate action only. This would be the equivalent to Fantasy Ground's original Spell/Ability Effects field of Expend = On Next Action. Except Action Only would apply to every action from that weapon.

"Overall. Advanced Effects do not use duration." <- That's confusing, given the fields are built into the window when applying Effect Features to an item. Is the Type field also ignored by 5E Advanced Effects?

If I'm still misunderstanding, tell me. I'll try and discuss on your discord.

I stand corrected, you CAN use that as a duration, however, I've never used that before. I guess if it's for if you equip something it will only give you that effect while equipped AND for that duration that you put in the dice and mod.
So the dice there is for random duration effect, and mod would be a set effect (or in addition to the dice), unit is for how long it will last.

Remember this is for only from the time it's equipped and stays equipped the whole time.

So again, this wouldn't affect the duration of things you apply through the effect that is already on, this only is affecting the effect that is on the item.
Most items I know do not have their effects expire like this.

You don't equip dodges and blinded etc through your inventory. You would just apply an effect normally that does that. Those effects would have a duration.

Again the duration is ONLY for equipped items duration if that effect has a limited duration. Example would be like a torch.
You pull out a torch that gives you LIGHT: 20/40 torch effect for 1 hour.
After 1 hour the effect will come off, even though you have the torch equipped still.

Now if you using like a magical sword that does DMG: 1d6 fire on all attacks, this would not have a duration at all. (you would turn on action only)

Carpathian
August 6th, 2022, 19:33
No, if you're having a issue please post specific errors and version you are running. If it's a interaction with another extension I'd point you at that authors thread.

I thought I replied to this, but apparently it didn't save or I'm just not seeing it :) I'm using the latest version from Forge, it's not an interaction with an extension it does it when it's the only one installed as well as when all my others are on. What happens (at least what I've found so far) when I click to make a roll (attrib roll, saving throw, attacks, damage, skill checks), the roll visually happens, but it doesn't show up in chat and an error pops up... I also can't add enemies to the combat tracker. I can add heroes but nothing from the NPC list. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's what I can think of in the moment. :( Attaching the errors from console.log not sure if any others matter.

bmos
August 6th, 2022, 19:38
I thought I replied to this, but apparently it didn't save or I'm just not seeing it :) I'm using the latest version from Forge, it's not an interaction with an extension it does it when it's the only one installed as well as when all my others are on. What happens (at least what I've found so far) when I click to make a roll (attrib roll, saving throw, attacks, damage, skill checks), the roll visually happens, but it doesn't show up in chat and an error pops up... I also can't add enemies to the combat tracker. I can add heroes but nothing from the NPC list. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's what I can think of in the moment. :( Attaching the errors from console.log not sure if any others matter.

You might think you're using the latest version, but you are not. You're using v4.9 which is from March of 2021. We are now up to v5.91 as of last month.
You should check whether you have a second, un-zipped copy in your extensions folder (and delete it if you do).

celestian
August 6th, 2022, 20:21
You might think you're using the latest version, but you are not. You're using v4.9 which is from March of 2021. We are now up to v5.91 as of last month.
You should check whether you have a second, un-zipped copy in your extensions folder (and delete it if you do).

Sounds like he still has the old .ext in his folder. I would remove all of those and any folders called AdvancedEffects.*

Carpathian
August 6th, 2022, 21:36
Thanks so much! I'll check that! :)

Carpathian
August 6th, 2022, 21:47
Sounds like he still has the old .ext in his folder. I would remove all of those and any folders called AdvancedEffects.*

That was it... I just deleted advanacedeffects.ext and it installed the right version but there weren't any other copies so I have no idea why it didn't get updated LOL

Tan0
August 27th, 2022, 13:19
Hello,
I'm trying to implement 5e "Relentless Endurance" feat of Half Orcs as an Advanced Effect in Abilities sheet tab. Before I was using it as a manual effect to be activated by player each time (which works correctly).

Now, I'm using this code on abilities sheet: [IF: unconscious; REGENA: 1]. Means that if an attack reduce the character to 0 Hp it regain suddenly one hit point coming back to life.
I works great like the manual effect I was using before, however the effect itself remains active. See picture below:

1. Before last attack:

2. After last attack and Relentless Endurance activation:

3. How it should look like

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?
I tried to flag the "ActionOnly" as well with no luck.

Thanks!

PS: good news is that even staying as point 2, the relentless endurance feat is not applied anymore, which is correct. So it seems that the effect is canceled but it remains written in combat tracker.

hrscarvalho
August 27th, 2022, 21:38
Hellou! This extension helps with the effect of "Bloodwell"? Can I make the "+1 bonus to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs" off the item with this extension?

tks!

jfg1984
September 21st, 2022, 02:24
Hey there,

I'm having a strange issue with this extension, and bmos' Ammunition Manager extension. Could you please have a look at this post I made about it on his thread and perhaps work with him to figure out where the conflict is happening? It appears to be a recent conflict.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61372-PFRPG-Ammunition-Manager&p=663180&viewfull=1#post663180

celestian
September 22nd, 2022, 17:36
Hey there,

I'm having a strange issue with this extension, and bmos' Ammunition Manager extension. Could you please have a look at this post I made about it on his thread and perhaps work with him to figure out where the conflict is happening? It appears to be a recent conflict.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61372-PFRPG-Ammunition-Manager&p=663180&viewfull=1#post663180

bmos added a update for his part to AE that I've applied and uploaded to the Test channel on the forge if you'd like to verify it's working.

jfg1984
September 22nd, 2022, 18:57
I'll test this as soon as I get home this evening.

jfg1984
September 24th, 2022, 16:39
So, after having gotten some time this weekend to test it, I can say that as of right now, as of version 3.10 of ammunition manager and version 5.91 of 5E - Advanced effects, the error I described above persists.

Though I confess I'm not sure what "the test channel" is or how to access it.

I just checked for updates prior to launching fantasy grounds and tested the issue once more with only those two extensions loaded.

tmandeville
September 24th, 2022, 23:23
Hello,

I just download this extension and tried to but when we open a character actions tab it throws a script error and then every ones attacks and damage show as 0. How do we get around this?

jfg1984
September 25th, 2022, 01:39
bmos added a update for his part to AE that I've applied and uploaded to the Test channel on the forge if you'd like to verify it's working.

I um, don't know if it's possible for me as a non-Forge crafter ... to access the test channel. I think I only get what's set to the live channel. There isn't any avenue I'm aware of by which I can switch to a test channel version of an extension.

bmos
September 25th, 2022, 13:30
I um, don't know if it's possible for me as a non-Forge crafter ... to access the test channel. I think I only get what's set to the live channel. There isn't any avenue I'm aware of by which I can switch to a test channel version of an extension.The test channel is not a per-extension thing.
It's an overall program setting found in the FG launcher.
Launcher > Settings > Advanced > Change Live to Test > Save and Update.
When done testing, change it back.

jfg1984
September 25th, 2022, 19:26
The test channel is not a per-extension thing.
It's an overall program setting found in the FG launcher.
Launcher > Settings > Advanced > Change Live to Test > Save and Update.
When done testing, change it back.

I understand now, thank you.
I went ahead and loaded up the test version of 5E Advanced Effects (v5.92) and everything appears to be working now! Many thanks!

celestian
September 25th, 2022, 20:44
I understand now, thank you.
I went ahead and loaded up the test version of 5E Advanced Effects (v5.92) and everything appears to be working now! Many thanks!

If thats the case I'll push it to live today.

jfg1984
September 25th, 2022, 21:48
If thats the case I'll push it to live today.

Great! Just in time for my game tomorrow!

anathemort
October 19th, 2022, 18:10
We appear to have lost the effect text on NPC sheets. You can see here a NPC with an advanced effect, but the effect description is not replicated to the sheet. When dropped on the CT, however, the effect shows up as expected.

nephranka
October 19th, 2022, 18:42
We appear to have lost the effect text on NPC sheets. You can see here a NPC with an advanced effect, but the effect description is not replicated to the sheet. When dropped on the CT, however, the effect shows up as expected.

I can confirm this as well. I first I thought I was just going crazy. A very odd bug.

jfg1984
October 21st, 2022, 17:14
I can confirm this as well. I first I thought I was just going crazy. A very odd bug.

But strangely, any effect that you already made prior to the update still show the text they had. It's just new effects, or new modifications to existing effects that won't show up in the effect text on NPC or PC sheets. Very strange indeed.

bmos
October 21st, 2022, 17:51
But strangely, any effect that you already made prior to the update still show the text they had. It's just new effects, or new modifications to existing effects that won't show up in the effect text on NPC or PC sheets. Very strange indeed.
yeah, you can just close the item and re-open it to see that text. it probably only calculates it onInit

celestian
October 21st, 2022, 21:46
yeah, you can just close the item and re-open it to see that text. it probably only calculates it onInit

Might be something changed. Far as I know this worked previously.

I've got some family events going on right now so I wont be able to look at this until sometime first of next month.

bmos
October 22nd, 2022, 01:40
The effect builder also seems to be broken.
Toggling "type" through the various values leaves the description and duration options only.

celestian
October 22nd, 2022, 06:34
The effect builder also seems to be broken.
Toggling "type" through the various values leaves the description and duration options only.

*sigh* yeap. Sometimes I wish I hadn't layered my code on CoreRPG ;(

If you toggle the type, close the effect then open it back up it changes the selection.

Definitely something changed related to the refresh there.

celestian
October 23rd, 2022, 07:15
*sigh* yeap. Sometimes I wish I hadn't layered my code on CoreRPG ;(

If you toggle the type, close the effect then open it back up it changes the selection.

Definitely something changed related to the refresh there.

I had a few moments tonight and I pushed a update that "should" fix it to Live.

For whatever reason it looks like using DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(node, ".effect"),"onUpdate", update); specifically onUpdate no longer works. If I use DB.addHandler(node.getPath(),"onChildUpdate", update); on the entire effect node it does. I used the previous before to reduce the number of triggers... but we'll see how this works until I have more time to look at it.

MeAndUnique
October 23rd, 2022, 07:27
I had a few moments tonight and I pushed a update that "should" fix it to Live.

For whatever reason it looks like using DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(node, ".effect"),"onUpdate", update); specifically onUpdate no longer works. If I use DB.addHandler(node.getPath(),"onChildUpdate", update); on the entire effect node it does. I used the previous before to reduce the number of triggers... but we'll see how this works until I have more time to look at it.

There's an extra period there in the original code, if desired you should be able to use DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(node, "effect"), "onUpdate", update); to avoid handling updates to unrelated nodes as would be the case with the "OnChldUpdate" approach.

bmos
October 23rd, 2022, 13:07
Any time to upload that change to github?

Also, regarding MeAndUnique's comment, that was how I fixed the issue (https://github.com/FG-Unofficial-Developers-Guild/FG-PFRPG-Advanced-Effects/compare/8823602388b484840feead295f9e20159fde87a4...d7f0cf9 05fd6df4a9116eb12588c0a7da0234d1a). Removing the periods was all it took in my port (possible would also work here).

celestian
October 23rd, 2022, 19:07
There's an extra period there in the original code, if desired you should be able to use DB.addHandler(DB.getPath(node, "effect"), "onUpdate", update); to avoid handling updates to unrelated nodes as would be the case with the "OnChldUpdate" approach.

I've used that version of the call for year+ (.effect). I wonder if they changed something with DB.getPath(). I'll try and test it when I get home if time permits.

Any time to upload that change to github?

Also, regarding MeAndUnique's comment, that was how I fixed the issue (https://github.com/FG-Unofficial-Developers-Guild/FG-PFRPG-Advanced-Effects/compare/8823602388b484840feead295f9e20159fde87a4...d7f0cf9 05fd6df4a9116eb12588c0a7da0234d1a). Removing the periods was all it took in my port (possible would also work here).

I'll do so tonight if I can (after remove the dots ;)

damned
October 23rd, 2022, 21:19
I've used that version of the call for year+ (.effect). I wonder if they changed something with DB.getPath(). I'll try and test it when I get home if time permits.

They did.

celestian
October 24th, 2022, 04:31
Updated Live channel with fixed .path changes.

Pushed to repo.

webdove
October 29th, 2022, 01:09
I am getting a new error with the same extensions that I have had updated on forge and from dmsguild. This happens anytime I try to drag ana attack from a non magical item in the actions on the NPC sheet.

[10/28/2022 7:52:53 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "AdvancedEffects:..ipts/char_weapon_adnd.lua"]:50: attempt to call field 'isLoading' (a nil value)

MrDDT
October 29th, 2022, 01:37
I am getting a new error with the same extensions that I have had updated on forge and from dmsguild. This happens anytime I try to drag ana attack from a non magical item in the actions on the NPC sheet.

[10/28/2022 7:52:53 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "AdvancedEffects:..ipts/char_weapon_adnd.lua"]:50: attempt to call field 'isLoading' (a nil value)

Is it happening with no exts?
I'm not having this issue.

bmos
October 29th, 2022, 01:56
Script execution error: [string "AdvancedEffects:..ipts/char_weapon_adnd.lua"]:50: attempt to call field 'isLoading' (a nil value)What version of Ammunition Manager and what version of Advanced Effects?

bmos
October 29th, 2022, 02:01
I'm not having this issue.Are you using it with Ammunition Manager? That code only runs when combined with Ammunition Manager.

tjlee
November 18th, 2022, 22:05
sorry, wrong thread - can this be deleted?

Bearded Wonder
November 21st, 2022, 17:59
Potentially Silly Question

I searched the thread but didn't see an answer to this. If I create items or NPCs with effects added to them in 1 campaign and I export them into my own module to use in a new campaign on my system, will all of the added effects still be with the items in the new campaign or will I need to add everything manually again? I created a campaign just to copy and customize all of the items & NPCs from all of the sources I own, test things, create new silly items or NPCs to torment I mean entertain my players etc but I will want to export everything into my own modules to use in future campaigns to leave my goofing off space open to break at a moment's notice.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2022, 19:24
Yes, as long as the extension is open in the module you open the exported module in.

Minty23185Fresh
November 21st, 2022, 20:45
Yes, as long as the extension is open in the module you open the exported module in.

I was considering answering Bearded Wonders’ question and was unsure of myself so I didn’t, but I do have a follow up…

I use Celestian’s extension typically to set up PC startup effects. So that’s my frame of reference. If you were wanting to take PCs with some “Advanced Effects” applied to them from one campaign to another you can’t do it through a module, you can’t export PCs that way. You’d have to individually export each PC (to XML) then import them into the new campaign. Or use the new functionally of the Characters Recordset library dialog and bring them over individually from one campaign to the other.

(Do I have that right Zacchaeus? Celestian?)

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2022, 21:39
You can export PCs from a campaign into a module as pregenerated characters. In your new campaign open the module and then click on the module in the library window; then on pre generated characters then on the green + button to add them to your campaign.

Or, even easier, in the campaign you want the characters in click on characters, then on import and you will get a list of every character from every other campaign in your campaigns folder. Click on the green + next to the ones you want to import.

As long as the extension is present in the campaign you import into the effects will be visible (the effects will still be in the xml even if the extension isn't enabled - but you won't see them or be able to use them if the extension isn't open).

celestian
December 30th, 2022, 22:42
rev 5.95 update released through forge. Tweaks for the Level Up Extension.

estrolof
February 24th, 2023, 03:39
Hi celestian,

Just going through the post-patch testing. Using D&D 5E, and with only Lord Motte's Darkness and Advanced Effects loaded I'm seeing the following:

1) Items with effects DO show those effects on the Item Card
2) If the item is equipped it DOES NOT apply the effect on load until the item is toggled carried/equipped again - then it does
* It remembers the applied effect on reload of FGU, so there's a win.
3) When you try to ADD or UPDATE an effect on an item...the window is blank.
* I've tested this with and without Lord Motte's theme too (just in case it's re-skinning the text and boxes to match the background of the window- it's not.)

Update: This also applies to adding effects to NPCs.

(edits in an attempt to load an image, and to fix a typo)

Tan0
February 25th, 2023, 00:17
Hi celestian,

Just going through the post-patch testing. Using D&D 5E, and with only Lord Motte's Darkness and Advanced Effects loaded I'm seeing the following:

2) If the item is equipped it DOES NOT apply the effect on load until the item is toggled carried/equipped again - then it does
* I've tested this with and without Lord Motte's theme too (just in case it's re-skinning the text and boxes to match the background of the window- it's not.)

Same here, I can confirm.

TheMellowFellow
February 28th, 2023, 15:39
Hi celestian,

Thirded, this is still a problem on my end, even after following this guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439) for force-updating.

celestian
February 28th, 2023, 16:01
Sorry guys, I'm aware that 4.3.3 broke somethings only I've not had the chance to look at it yet. I'm traveling for work most of the week so it'll be the weekend before I can dig into it.

nephranka
February 28th, 2023, 16:05
Hi celestian,

I found that if you click the effect and not the magnifier glass it opens the dialogue box with the information. So a work around in the meantime.

celestian
February 28th, 2023, 16:17
Sorry guys, I'm aware that 4.3.3 broke somethings only I've not had the chance to look at it yet. I'm traveling for work most of the week so it'll be the weekend before I can dig into it.

Community member submitted a fix/pull for this which I've pushed to Test channel. Thank you kind soul.

I won't be able to test myself today but if you guys can confirm it works I'll push to live.

Minty23185Fresh
March 3rd, 2023, 17:58
Hi celestian, great extension, much thanks. It's invaluable, when used to prep an upcoming session.

I've noticed two things:
1) The first might be out of the scope of your extension.
The INIT: Effect when placed in the Effect Features (at the bottom of an NPC's stat page), does not work on the first initiative roll, when the NPC is just dropped into the Combat Tracker. On any subsequent rolls of initiative everything is great. (see screenshot)
Noticed it in another campaign, so created a virgin campaign, no other extensions, no modules, no community content.

2) Just in case the above happened to have thrown an error, I looked at the console, and found a warning (see second screen shot)
It occurs during load though so I doubt it has anything to do with issue #1.
Personally, even warnings make me cringe when thrown by my own extensions. They never seem to be a good thing. So I thought I'd give you a heads up.

celestian
March 3rd, 2023, 20:38
Community member submitted a fix/pull for this which I've pushed to Test channel. Thank you kind soul.

I won't be able to test myself today but if you guys can confirm it works I'll push to live.

I went ahead and pushed to live, im still not home yet but wanted to get this out. Please report any issues.

MeAndUnique
March 3rd, 2023, 21:34
Hi celestian, great extension, much thanks. It's invaluable, when used to prep an upcoming session.

I've noticed two things:
1) The first might be out of the scope of your extension.
The INIT: Effect when placed in the Effect Features (at the bottom of an NPC's stat page), does not work on the first initiative roll, when the NPC is just dropped into the Combat Tracker. On any subsequent rolls of initiative everything is great. (see screenshot)
Noticed it in another campaign, so created a virgin campaign, no other extensions, no modules, no community content.

2) Just in case the above happened to have thrown an error, I looked at the console, and found a warning (see second screen shot)
It occurs during load though so I doubt it has anything to do with issue #1.
Personally, even warnings make me cringe when thrown by my own extensions. They never seem to be a good thing. So I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Regarding #2, the warning indicates an XML merge that exists solely for extension compatibility purposes and so when the other extension isn't present the merge can't resolve. Personally, I've never found a way to reconcile this type of scenario without the warning. I'd be interested if you have any ideas though cause that sort of thing exists for a handful of extensions beyond this one.

Minty23185Fresh
March 3rd, 2023, 23:24
Regarding #2, the warning indicates an XML merge that exists solely for extension compatibility purposes and so when the other extension isn't present the merge can't resolve. Personally, I've never found a way to reconcile this type of scenario without the warning. I'd be interested if you have any ideas though cause that sort of thing exists for a handful of extensions beyond this one.

Ich! If I comprehend fully, what you’ve said:
The only way I can think of is to do it programmatically (in lua) during runtime.
Check for the existence of the windowclass in an onInit(), probably, if it exists, build whatever you’re merging in, some sort of control I suspect, and add it in that way.

MeAndUnique
March 4th, 2023, 04:37
Ich! If I comprehend fully, what you’ve said:
The only way I can think of is to do it programmatically (in lua) during runtime.
Check for the existence of the windowclass in an onInit(), probably, if it exists, build whatever you’re merging in, some sort of control I suspect, and add it in that way.

Yeah, I've been in similar headspace, the primary challenge is that by the time extensions are loaded and Lua scripts are run it isn't possible to interact directly with windowclass definitions, only with the resulting windowinstances. So the onInit in question would need to be for the windowinstance as it is opened, and the only way to get the script there would be to merge with it, and so vicious cycle. In theory one could possible tie in to the Interface.onWindowOpened event, though that would be at least an order of magnitude more complex and thus error prone than normal merging, which is ultimately counter to the goal of keeping things clean. If only we could have conditional XML based on extensions, like we can for rulesets, though even that comes with a whole slew of load order considerations.

Minty23185Fresh
March 4th, 2023, 05:20
@celestian sorry about hijacking your thread. :o

@MeAndUnique another possibility is a third extension, common to both, housing only the common windowclass. If either extension is used the third, common extension, is also used. The windowclass is guaranteed to be there that way. I started a proof of concept years ago with one of my extensions. Had a base functionality and years later added a large extended functionality. I developed all three extensions in one “house” to get it all working. Then just never got around to breaking them out into separate unique extensions. Still resides that way today. Hella easier to support. Either the base functionality gets broken by an FG update or the advanced functionality gets broken. Rarely both.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 14th, 2023, 11:29
Doubt: Can I use this extension with the Ammo Manager and apply the +1 Effect on the arrow or bolt for example?
Example: I have a Shortbow equipped and 2 quivers, one of which has 20 common arrows and the other 20 arrows +1.
Using the Ammo Manager resource I equip my Shortbow with the +1 arrows and then with the Advanced Effects extension I determine that [ATK: 1][ActionOnly] and also [DMG:1][ActionOnly].
When I have the +1 arrow, will my attacks and damage have a +1 bonus?
The Ruleset used is Dungeons and Dragons (5E).

bmos
March 14th, 2023, 13:13
Doubt: Can I use this extension with the Ammo Manager and apply the +1 Effect on the arrow or bolt for example?
Example: I have a Shortbow equipped and 2 quivers, one of which has 20 common arrows and the other 20 arrows +1.
Using the Ammo Manager resource I equip my Shortbow with the +1 arrows and then with the Advanced Effects extension I determine that [ATK: 1][ActionOnly] and also [DMG:1][ActionOnly].
When I have the +1 arrow, will my attacks and damage have a +1 bonus?
The Ruleset used is Dungeons and Dragons (5E).If you mark the effect pinned to the arrow as Action Only and equip the arrow, only attacks made with the weapon that has that arrow loaded will benefit from the arrow's attached effect.
At least, that is how it is supposed to work. I contributed back that integration some time ago when I added it to my PFRPG port of Advanced Effects and it may have stopped working here at some point.
So if it doesn't work, let me know!

Retroh
March 14th, 2023, 20:57
Do anybody knows how to fix the extension not working?
I added trough forge the extensions "5E Advanced Effects", updated fantasy grounds, enabled it in the "load campaign" section, in the chat shows that the extensions is added and enabled it in the rules, but when i open a sheet i can't find any of the option of the extension. Tried to disable & hide it, update, re-enable and re-update, but it didn't fix anything.
There is something i'm missing?

(A guy on discord helped me, i was searching under the wrong tab ç_ç)

MrDDT
March 14th, 2023, 21:25
Do anybody knows how to fix the extension not working?
I added trough forge the extensions "5E Advanced Effects", updated fantasy grounds, enabled it in the "load campaign" section, in the chat shows that the extensions is added and enabled it in the rules, but when i open a sheet i can't find any of the option of the extension. Tried to disable & hide it, update, re-enable and re-update, but it didn't fix anything.
There is something i'm missing?

What is not working? There are no options in the FGU options for this EXT, but it should be working

celestian
March 14th, 2023, 21:44
(A guy on discord helped me, i was searching under the wrong tab ç_ç)

:) Glad you got it sorted.

VTHokie93
March 17th, 2023, 04:50
If you mark the effect pinned to the arrow as Action Only and equip the arrow, only attacks made with the weapon that has that arrow loaded will benefit from the arrow's attached effect.
At least, that is how it is supposed to work. I contributed back that integration some time ago when I added it to my PFRPG port of Advanced Effects and it may have stopped working here at some point.
So if it doesn't work, let me know!

Hi bmos. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Could be me though.

Weepdrag
March 20th, 2023, 06:56
Hello All,
Could I bother someone with a bit more on the ball for a syntax check for a weapon effect?:
[IFT: TYPE(Dragon);SIZE(L);DMG:1d8][ActionOnly]
[IFT:TYPE(Dragon);ADVATK][ActionOnly]

My hope is that this will cause 1d8 extra damage if attacking a YOUNG Dragon (medium size). Additionally, Role with advantage against all dragons. If there is a way to define "red/black/green/etc." dragons that would be great but I couldn't find anything that gave that granularity for the parameter.

Thanks in advance

estrolof
March 20th, 2023, 07:04
Unless I'm also missing something, you could add a hidden effect on the intended dragon NPC [XYZ] and then add [IFT:CUSTOM(XYZ); DMG: 1d8][action only] to the weapon.

That custom string could be anything that helps you differentiate. YgRdDgn for example.

Weepdrag
March 20th, 2023, 07:22
Thanks for the quick reply, So, I would probably be looking at a string more like this?:

[IFT: TYPE(Dragon);IFT: CUSTOM(Red);SIZE(L);DMG:1d8][ActionOnly]

or I guess simplified:
[IFT: CUSTOM(Young Red Dragon);DMG:1d8][ActionOnly]

Thanks again

estrolof
March 20th, 2023, 07:47
My GUT says B. You can test both and see though. :}

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2023, 10:06
You could use IFT: TYPE(dragon);IFT: SIZE(large);DMG:1d8
Since only young dragons are large. If you need to make it only hit a particular colour of dragon then you'll need some kind of custom effect as noted above; since there's no direct test for colour.

bmos
March 20th, 2023, 12:41
@celestian, I have a new update for AmmunitionManager releasing soon which will change the code needed here for compatibility. I have a deprecation function in place so the timing is not critical. The draft pull request on your GitHub will update the code in your extension to use the new approach.

Hi bmos. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Could be me though.I have tested it with the upcoming v4 and it's working. Do you see the attached effect on the combat tracker? Maybe you haven't equipped the arrow after editing its effects?

celestian
March 20th, 2023, 15:08
@celestian, I have a new update for AmmunitionManager releasing soon which will change the code needed here for compatibility. I have a deprecation function in place so the timing is not critical. The draft pull request on your GitHub will update the code in your extension to use the new approach.

I was going to ask about that (timing) if there is no requirement I'll drop it shortly this week.

bmos
March 20th, 2023, 15:37
I was going to ask about that (timing) if there is no requirement I'll drop it shortly this week.
Probably best to wait a week or two since there is a deprecation function in place. I can't release my update until the new Starfinder alternative is available.
It would have been more accurate to say the requirement is just that your compatibility update comes after mine! I'll finalize the PR when I drop my update and then you can release whenever it's convenient.

celestian
March 20th, 2023, 16:20
Probably best to wait a week or two since there is a deprecation function in place. I can't release my update until the new Starfinder alternative is available.
It would have been more accurate to say the requirement is just that your compatibility update comes after mine! I'll finalize the PR when I drop my update and then you can release whenever it's convenient.

Ok, just ping me when you're ready.

Weepdrag
April 1st, 2023, 01:06
Hello all,
Is there a mechanic in the effects coding to determine if a 1 or 20 dice roll to trigger an effect? I didn't see anything concerning this in the wiki.

Thanks in advance

MrDDT
April 1st, 2023, 01:10
Hello all,
Is there a mechanic in the effects coding to determine if a 1 or 20 dice roll to trigger an effect? I didn't see anything concerning this in the wiki.

Thanks in advance

You are posting on an ext something that has nothing to do with it.

There are ways to do this but you want to ask in another thread or make one of your own.

Another good place to post it is in the FGU discord.

Weepdrag
April 1st, 2023, 02:52
Thanks, I was asking in reference to putting the effects on a particular item using this extension. (I should have led with that, I guess)

Thanks again

VTHokie93
April 2nd, 2023, 01:01

I have tested it with the upcoming v4 and it's working. Do you see the attached effect on the combat tracker? Maybe you haven't equipped the arrow after editing its effects?

Yeah, I see the effect in the combat tracker, but doesn't seem to apply. I created a brand new campaign and only added advanced effects and Ammo Manager.

bmos
April 2nd, 2023, 12:43
Yeah, I see the effect in the combat tracker, but doesn't seem to apply. I created a brand new campaign and only added advanced effects and Ammo Manager.

56926You haven't set your bow to use the arrow that you have attached that effect to.
Check out the video linked on the Ammunition Manager page (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/26/view) and feel free to post any further questions about this issue in my thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61372-PFRPG-Ammunition-Manager) (since it's not an Advanced Effects issue).

celestian
April 3rd, 2023, 15:50

I have tested it with the upcoming v4 and it's working. Do you see the attached effect on the combat tracker? Maybe you haven't equipped the arrow after editing its effects?

Per the MR I've merged and pushed v5.97 to Test channel. If someone can confirm it works for 5e I'll submit it to production channel.

nephranka
April 3rd, 2023, 19:47
Per the MR I've merged and pushed v5.97 to Test channel. If someone can confirm it works for 5e I'll submit it to production channel.

Looks to be working in TEST. Does this also pick up Rhagelstrom's pull?

celestian
April 5th, 2023, 06:48
Looks to be working in TEST. Does this also pick up Rhagelstrom's pull?

I did not see that till you mentioned. I'll deal with that sometime tomorrow sorry. Day job sucking my life away ;)

nephranka
April 5th, 2023, 10:40
No worries. You have to pay the bills!

celestian
April 5th, 2023, 22:07
No worries. You have to pay the bills!

Pushed 5.98 to TEST Channel with his changes as well. Let me know and if all seems clean I'll push to Live.

(I dont use the mentioned extensions or much 5e so me testing would be net bad results)

MrDDT
April 5th, 2023, 22:34
Thanks Celestian, I can't wait to check it out once it hits live. I don't mess with that test server much haha. I do know I need the update for BCEG to do some features I wanted with AE.

nephranka
April 5th, 2023, 23:09
Pushed 5.98 to TEST Channel with his changes as well. Let me know and if all seems clean I'll push to Live.

(I dont use the mentioned extensions or much 5e so me testing would be net bad results)

Looks to be working. Thanks!

celestian
April 6th, 2023, 18:36

Thanks, I've pushed 5.98 to LIVE channel.

MrDDT
April 6th, 2023, 18:44

Thanks, I've pushed 5.98 to LIVE channel.

Thanks again you all for this.
Working great!

frozzzt
April 28th, 2023, 23:01
Just starting using this amazing extension, I love it!

BushViper
May 4th, 2023, 08:04
I'm attempting to introduce a little bit of weapon speed differentiation to Initiative and I've tried applying a -3 modifier to a greataxe several times and I cannot get it to work on neither PC nor NPC, but I have several other modifiers that work flawlessly.

Is there something finnicky in particular about Initiative or could it have a bug given it's a roll that isn't modified often in 5e? Link of the effect on the weapon.57258

BushViper
May 4th, 2023, 08:06
Double post as I was trying to add a better screenshot.

**Edit**

I realize that INIT -3 does exactly what I'm trying to do and that's what I did while still using AE, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was trying to use the built-in initiative option and it doesn't seem to work.

celestian
May 4th, 2023, 20:24
I'm attempting to introduce a little bit of weapon speed differentiation to Initiative and I've tried applying a -3 modifier to a greataxe several times and I cannot get it to work on neither PC nor NPC, but I have several other modifiers that work flawlessly.

Is there something finnicky in particular about Initiative or could it have a bug given it's a roll that isn't modified often in 5e? Link of the effect on the weapon.57258

I've no idea what INIT_AE should do, far as I know thats not a FGU effect tag and definitely not part of my extension.

BushViper
May 4th, 2023, 20:28
I've no idea what INIT_AE should do, far as I know thats not a FGU effect tag and definitely not part of my extension.

That's what the extension produces when you select Initiative from the available options. I didn't manually enter that.

Maybe it's a conflict? I didn't consider it since there was no error message and that'd be a really odd way for a conflict to manifest.

BushViper
May 5th, 2023, 00:44
I've confirmed it's not a conflict. The result is the same with only Advanced Effects extension loaded.

celestian
May 5th, 2023, 06:50
I've confirmed it's not a conflict. The result is the same with only Advanced Effects extension loaded.

That is definitely a bug and surprised it's taken this long to show up. Previously there was a conflict with using the language name "init" so I used "init_ae" to get around it. Problem is changing that language piece also broke this. For now, use the manual mode and use INIT: XX

HoloGnome
May 31st, 2023, 17:50
Is there a secret to getting to install as an update in FGC? It updates for FGU, but not for FGC.

HoloGnome
May 31st, 2023, 19:00
Never mind. I pulled it from GitHub and patched the startup issues in manager_effect_adnd.lua on lines ~40-80. FGC boot was throwing nil dereference errors at boot.

Code defensively and always check for existence before indexing into objects (even if you think they should be non-nil).

Specifically, you need nil checks on:
CombatRecordManager
CharFeatManager
CharClassManager
CharFeatManager
CharRaceManager
CharManager

Hope that helps.

And...never mind, albeit with the caveat that pulling the update from Forge to FGC still does not work.

Hmmm...also looks like problems with DB.getChildList on line 559 -- same issue -- nil value.

Are these FGC-specific issues?

damned
June 1st, 2023, 01:23
The Forge has nothing to do with FGC. FGC extras must be manually installed.

celestian
June 1st, 2023, 01:25
The Forge has nothing to do with FGC. FGC extras must be manually installed.

@damned is correct. I no longer write/support extensions for FGC.

HoloGnome
June 1st, 2023, 12:14
OK -- thanks. It would be helpful to change the text in the first post in this thread that says that it is compatible with FGC and FGU to prevent confusion. Maybe also include text that explicitly says that the latest version does not work in FGC without errors.

Currently, the first line in the post is:
"Latest version currently compatible with FGC and FGU."

Also, if there is a final version that was fully compatible with FGC, it would be great to archive it somewhere and include a pointer to it. I saw that it was indicated as compatible and tried to find it.

Have a look at the code to see if there are any points where the FGU coding could be more defensive. There are a lot of places where there is indexing without object verification.

McCherry
June 7th, 2023, 16:03
I have updated the Advanced effects extension, I have also disabled - updated FGU and Re enabled and updated FGU again to make sure I have the most updated copy. I can Add effects to the PC abilities tab BUT these effects are not added automatically when adding the PC to the CT.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2023, 17:32
I have updated the Advanced effects extension, I have also disabled - updated FGU and Re enabled and updated FGU again to make sure I have the most updated copy. I can Add effects to the PC abilities tab BUT these effects are not added automatically when adding the PC to the CT.

Can you show us some screenshots showing what effects you are trying to add.

Dax Doomslayer
June 7th, 2023, 18:27
One thing I found is that you need to make sure that you toggle the item in your inventory as being equipped and if it was equipped prior to adding the coding, toggle it to unequipped and then re-equip it. I know that's tripped me up initially...

McCherry
June 7th, 2023, 19:22
Can you show us some screenshots showing what effects you are trying to add.

I Can add effects to items, the item is equipped but no effect moves to the CT automatically. I CAN equip an item while the character IS in the CT and that DOES work. Any effect in the abilities tab does not transfer to the CT. See attachment.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2023, 19:41
The effects created in the abilities tab of a PC will only apply to the CT when the character is placed on the CT. So if the character is already on the CT then the effects won't be applied. For the effect you want you would be better creating it on the Actions tab of the PC; and you won't need then to remove and replace PCs to get such effects to apply.

Bonkon
June 7th, 2023, 20:27
Good Day McCherry :)
When you are adding an effect to the player the player then needs to be removed and added back to the CT for the effect to kick in. It looks like you are trying to add an effect to a character that is already on the CT. :)

McCherry
June 7th, 2023, 20:48
Good Day McCherry :)
When you are adding an effect to the player the player then needs to be removed and added back to the CT for the effect to kick in. It looks like you are trying to add an effect to a character that is already on the CT. :)

I am aware of this, this is not the case. I have removed and readded the character, no effects are automated to the CT.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2023, 20:56
This is working for me. I wonder if some other extension that you are using is interfering?

McCherry
June 7th, 2023, 22:08
This is working for me. I wonder if some other extension that you are using is interfering?

Assistant GM FGU.EXT was the culprit

SilentRuin
June 7th, 2023, 23:09
Assistant GM FGU.EXT was the culprit

Pure voodoo code fix to see if it prevents the conflict as I don't have this extension - if it does not then they will just have to conflict. Basically, at a guess, they are doing the same thing I was...

CombatRecordManager.setRecordTypePostAddCallback("charsheet", onPostAdd);

So the best I could do was find if someone already defined this with

savePostAddCallback = CombatRecordManager.getRecordTypePostAddCallback("charsheet");

and call it first. Of course any extension that does not do this sort of thing for RecordType callbacks will stomp me in turn if load order is not in my favor. Some things just conflict. We will see if this helped.

McCherry
June 7th, 2023, 23:15
Pure voodoo code fix to see if it prevents the conflict as I don't have this extension - if it does not then they will just have to conflict. Basically, at a guess, they are doing the same thing I was...

CombatRecordManager.setRecordTypePostAddCallback("charsheet", onPostAdd);

So the best I could do was find if someone already defined this with

savePostAddCallback = CombatRecordManager.getRecordTypePostAddCallback("charsheet");

and call it first. Of course any extension that does not do this sort of thing for RecordType callbacks will stomp me in turn if load order is not in my favor. Some things just conflict. We will see if this helped.

Silent Ruin Has fixed the issue!

ColoradoGM
June 26th, 2023, 01:52
As of tonight, I'm getting an error code every time FGU tries to apply damage or healing to a PC or NPC, and the damage is not applied. Whether it's done by dragging the damage/ healing onto the token, onto the CT listing, onto the PC portrait, or simply having the source of the damage target the target, it doesn't go. This was fixed by reloading without Advanced Effects (found through trial and error by turning off 2 or 3 extensions at a time then reloading, then narrowing it down to one). I can't tell you which other extension Adv Eff may be conflicting with to cause this, but here's the5795457955 list of what was loaded with it (2 images)

and here is the error message

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2023, 09:12
I'm not seeing any errors with this extension. So I would surmise that either one of the (too) many extensions you have loaded is the issue or there is a conflict. You can't really expect Celestian to plow through all of those extensions to find out what might be the issue; if indeed, the issue is a conflict between this extension and some other one. I'm afraid that's up to you.

I'd first check that all of the extensions you have are up to date. Remember that some of those are not on the forge so you'll have to go back to the DMsGuild or wherever you got the extensions and check. Your list also shows some extensions that are no longer needed like token height and I'm not sure you need Better Combat effects and Better Combat Effects Gold. You may want to consider whether you actually need all of those extension as well.

Dax Doomslayer
June 26th, 2023, 11:52
To Zacchaeus' point, you wouldn't need Better Combat Effects if you are running Better Combat Effects Gold. Also, I would add, for any of the DMs Guild extensions, make sure that you've deleted out the old version. Sometimes version names are changed and don't get replaced when adding the newer version. I know I've had that happen with some of Rob's extensions.

ColoradoGM
June 27th, 2023, 00:20
token height isn't needed? Is that done natively now?

I don't know which extension might be conflicting with Advanced Effects, but running them all except AE fixed the problem. But yeah, over 3 years I've accumulated quite a few and some, I'm sure, duplicate others. Each of them had a reason to get it at the time I got it.

Arnagus
June 27th, 2023, 06:58
Here is my recommendation:
- check for each ext the forum thread if it is needed at all. The URLs are usually linked where you got them (Forge, DMsGuild, ..)
- check also if there is an update sometimes, ext have moved from DMsGuild to Forge
- check in the extensions folder for duplicate names if you are sure you got the latest version
- now for debugging:
- copy your campaign folder
- start FGU with half the ext disabled (keep the conflicting one enabled)
- if everything looks okay, verify that with the other half enabled (plus the conflicting ext), the error occurs
- now work with the half which generates the error: disable half of them, verify, disable the other half, etc until you are down to the one which conflicts and the one causing it

Now you are ready to report the error

nephranka
June 29th, 2023, 14:59
Looks like there is a UI element that has been deprecated: "windowtitlebar_char template - DEPRECATED - 2023-04-04 - Contact ruleset/extension/forge author"

That errors shows up when you click to edit the effect on an item.

BushViper
July 19th, 2023, 10:11
Looks like there is a UI element that has been deprecated: "windowtitlebar_char template - DEPRECATED - 2023-04-04 - Contact ruleset/extension/forge author"

That errors shows up when you click to edit the effect on an item.

Had the same thing pop up for me a moment ago.

Also, the bug with Init_AE is still happening.

celestian
July 19th, 2023, 21:19
The console logs shouldn't "popup" unless you open the console and look?

DEPRECATED doesnt mean its broken, just the next major update or so it will go away (CoreRPG). I'll address it when the next major updates come through. This "should" just be a log no one will see unless they look at the logs.

nephranka
July 19th, 2023, 23:29
It is a chat output message. You see this in the bottom left of my screenshot. Which again is not a big deal. I was passing it along as information.

celestian
July 20th, 2023, 18:15
It is a chat output message. You see this in the bottom left of my screenshot. Which again is not a big deal. I was passing it along as information.

Oh, yuck. yeah that is not nice. I dunno why they put it out in chat and not console log. I'll see what I can do but it'll be a week or so (in day job travel
for 2 weeks).

celestian
July 29th, 2023, 17:43
Oh, yuck. yeah that is not nice. I dunno why they put it out in chat and not console log. I'll see what I can do but it'll be a week or so (in day job travel
for 2 weeks).

I pushed 5.100 today to Forge that should clear up that ugly error message.

Eldarc
August 3rd, 2023, 22:34
I used to use this extension and it was one of my favs and a must imho, but I can't make it work now. When I add an effect to an item and try to edit it, the window is blank:

Am I the only one getting this issue?

charmov
August 4th, 2023, 03:13
Try clicking the magnifying glass to the right it should open a dialog to input the effect.

Eldarc
August 4th, 2023, 11:13
The blank window you can see in the image I uploaded appeared when I clicked the magnifying glass. I understand how the extension works, I love it. But it's not working for me, I don't know why.

I even tried a new campaign with no other extension loaded.

charmov
August 4th, 2023, 18:15
The blank window you can see in the image I uploaded appeared when I clicked the magnifying glass. I understand how the extension works, I love it. But it's not working for me, I don't know why.

I even tried a new campaign with no other extension loaded.

I see. I haven't been experiencing that. The extension seems fine on my table and I run a lot of extensions. If you're on TEST I think they're messing with themes and such so that could be a thing. Hope this helps!

Eldarc
August 4th, 2023, 18:45
No, I'm on Live channel.

rhagelstrom
August 4th, 2023, 18:53
I'm not seeing that behavior either. Are you sure you don't have an unzipped ruleset or unzipped extension

Vegard
August 5th, 2023, 10:19
I have the same issue, I also have some log running, and I do get an error. Unfortunately I am not technical enough to understand what it says, but I do know Advanced Effects are the one acting up, as all other extensions runs perfectly. I have done the usual search to fix it, but do not understand what the problem is. 58422.

Eldarc
August 5th, 2023, 10:48
I already fixed it. Just follow these steps.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439

Thank you everybody!

Halahad
September 9th, 2023, 03:22
Hello guys. Can somebody help me pls?
I want make armor with effect smth like: "If an undead tries to hit wielder, it rolls d with disadvantage".
I tried to do something with the IF statement, but I don't know how to indicate who is aiming the armor wearer.

NVM I found a solution)
IFT: TYPE(undead); GRANTDISATK

Eldarc
September 16th, 2023, 10:29
Hello!

I don't know if it's because of the new FG version, but I think that the Effect List in a Feat window is not displayed properly.

celestian
September 16th, 2023, 19:32
Hello!

I don't know if it's because of the new FG version, but I think that the Effect List in a Feat window is not displayed properly.

Not sure what you're asking here. AE doesnt do anything with feats.

Eldarc
September 16th, 2023, 20:32
Have you seen the attached image? I don't know if AE doesn't do anything with feats or if it actually does. But the Advanced Effect List is displayed in 5e Feat windows (which I like and find useful, but as long as it's properly displayed).

celestian
September 16th, 2023, 20:57
Have you seen the attached image? I don't know if AE doesn't do anything with feats or if it actually does. But the Advanced Effect List is displayed in 5e Feat windows (which I like and find useful, but as long as it's properly displayed).

You've got something else going on. This is just AE loaded.

https://i.imgur.com/aT2J33b.png

Eldarc
September 16th, 2023, 21:04
No, I don't. Try to create a Feat from the sidebar menu, not from a character sheet.

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2023, 21:12
I'm also puzzled as to exactly what the problem is. I can create a feat fine from the effects list. Can you give us steps to reproduce the problem - or give us more information as to what it is that you are seeing that we aren't?

Eldarc
September 16th, 2023, 21:16
The problem is that, as you can see in your own image, Zacchaeus, the AE list is not displayed below the window content but ON the content. It's overlapping the content. Try to open an item and you'll see how it should be displayed.

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2023, 21:24
The problem is that, as you can see in your own image, Zacchaeus, the AE list is not displayed below the window content but ON the content. It's overlapping the content. Try to open an item and you'll see how it should be displayed.

Ah, ok. My bad. I've never opened a feat I don't think until now with that extension loaded.

Eldarc
September 16th, 2023, 21:34
No problem! Advanced Effects is one of my must have extensions, I love it. But I noticed this small issue as I was developing 5e LotR extension. I checked if it also happened with no other extension loaded, and it did. Thank you both for your answers.

celestian
September 16th, 2023, 23:56
No problem! Advanced Effects is one of my must have extensions, I love it. But I noticed this small issue as I was developing 5e LotR extension. I checked if it also happened with no other extension loaded, and it did. Thank you both for your answers.

As the original details where not clear on how you were making a feat I did not test using the record window creation. Why is it there now? I've no idea. My guess is some backend CoreRPG changed to use the same window class or template that items do. Maybe it's always done this? (I dont play 5e).

https://i.imgur.com/oIcfJEy.png

Noted.

Eldarc
September 17th, 2023, 03:23
Hello!

Yes... so unclear I was talking about the Feat windows... who would have guessed.

celestian
September 20th, 2023, 23:21
Yes... so unclear I was talking about the Feat windows... who would have guessed.

Others involved in addressing this issue were not viewing the same "Feat window" as you. Clarity will facilitate more precise assistance.

I shall issue an update addressing the template and window modifications in CoreRPG/5e as soon as my professional commitments allow.

frozzzt
September 21st, 2023, 02:38
I didn't knew that AE have feat suport. That's pretty cool. I have to try on my homebrew feats.

celestian
September 23rd, 2023, 07:50
I didn't knew that AE have feat suport. That's pretty cool. I have to try on my homebrew feats.

Works on races as well.

https://i.imgur.com/7vLndIG.png

Tan0
September 24th, 2023, 13:20
Hello! I'd like to report a strange thing that is happening to me. See attached screenshot. I managed to find out that it is an interaction of Advanced Effect with the extension Equipped Effects.
If you have time to have a look would be great :-)
Thanks!

dmbrown
September 24th, 2023, 17:02
I ran into the exact same problem and came to the same conclusion yesterday, when prepping for a game.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2023, 17:20
This was reported in Discord as well. I think @Tan0 narrowed it down to two extensions having a bad interaction (Advanced Effects, Equipped Effects).

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
September 24th, 2023, 18:56
Basically after being prodded with pointy sticks by some users and devs, the gist was (at a guess) was this change - don't know how or why - busted the NPC record sheet - according to superteddy he thought it was somehow hiding something no real idea why. I don't personally use this extension or have any idea what it does or what the code looks like - this was passed to me by someone else though (ryan).

<!-- Override CoreRPG subwindow_record version here to add fastinit and activate otherwise readonly records do not show data -->
<template name="subwindow_record">
<subwindow>
<anchored to="contentframe" position="over" />
<fastinit />
<activate />
</subwindow>
</template>

Change was you added fastinit and activate.
For 1 1/2 years my code has overridden the npc_record.xml to allow replacing the text fields with formatted text so all the asteric etc. translations of links and other formatted text can actually appear in the main page data. This invovled the following npc.lua override...

(see npc.lua override)

where I replace all the text received into my fields

function onLockChanged()
if super and super.onLockChanged then
super.onLockChanged();
end

-- We moved text into subwindow - have to intercept here as the super will call the super version not this local one.
if subwin_text.subwindow then
subwin_text.subwindow.update();
end
end

The actual override is in record_npc.xml key part being...

(see record_npc.xml override)

with key part being this...

<windowclass ruleset="5E" name="npc" merge="join">
<script file="campaign/scripts/npc.lua" />
<sheetdata>
<subwindow_record name="subwin_text" insertafter="main_creature">
<class>other_tab</class>
</subwindow_record>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

For whatever reason you adding in fastinit and activate to the base subwindow has messed up the resulting display in NPC record sheet. (Guess it may be something else).

No earthly idea why.

Given the amount of irritation this generated in the discord thread - I can assure you its got nothing to do with you. But more about the expectation I'm a walking almanac of info and expected to debug things I don't even use. If you want to contact me privately feel free - but I'm not in a good mood with users at the moment. They are my bain - my cross to bear - as an extension developer (sigh).

EXTENSIONS = RISK

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2023, 20:04
Looks like someone added fastinit/activate to a tabbed subwindow control (which is supposed to be controlled by the tabs); or they used the wrong template (sub_record_header is for single subwindow sheets; subwindow_record is for tabbed subwindow sheets).

Regards,
JPG

celestian
September 24th, 2023, 20:37
Looks like someone added fastinit/activate to a tabbed subwindow control (which is supposed to be controlled by the tabs); or they used the wrong template (sub_record_header is for single subwindow sheets; subwindow_record is for tabbed subwindow sheets).

Regards,
JPG

I did it intentionally to correct various broken windows because it was removed from the CoreRPG template.

For the extension I can narrow it down to just those windows and avoid altering the template.

MrDDT
September 24th, 2023, 20:57
I did it intentionally to correct various broken windows because it was removed from the CoreRPG template.

For the extension I can narrow it down to just those windows and avoid altering the template.

Thanks for the update, looks like it's working fine now.

Ratoncillo
September 24th, 2023, 21:55
Hi.

The Advance Effects extension interferes with Kit'N'Kaboodle (cannot edit details) and Equipped Effects (duplicate NPC text).

MrDDT
September 25th, 2023, 05:20
Hi.

The Advance Effects extension interferes with Kit'N'Kaboodle (cannot edit details) and Equipped Effects (duplicate NPC text).

This should have been fixed with the last update today, did you check that?

Tan0
September 25th, 2023, 18:11
This should have been fixed with the last update today, did you check that?

Yes, checked and it's fixed now. Thanks!
G.

Gilafron
October 14th, 2023, 13:47
Hi, I have a question when applying Advanced Effects. Is there a way to make an effect on one PC/NPC automatically target another PC/NPC? For instance, I want a group of NPCs (let's call Minions) to share initiative turn with another NPC (let's call Big Bad). I'm using Temporal Fixation which provides the effect SHARETURN. I can place the effect on the Minions. When I add them to the combat tracker; it'd be nice to automatically target Big Bad. Plus, companion NPCs may want to target a PC and vice versa.

estrolof
October 14th, 2023, 18:33
If I'm following what you want, it's not automatic (SHARETURN doesn't know WHO's turn they share, right?). But, you can certainly instruct it. When you add the SHARETURN to an actor in the CT, look to the right end of the effect line, and you'll see a small targeting icon. Use your mouse to LEFT-MOUSE (HOLD) and it works like the targeting function for targeting someone they're going to attack, only it's for this specific effect. So, we drop the target icon on BBEG (or whomever they share turns with). You'll see the target's name appear under the effect line (revealing whose turn they share).

Gilafron
October 15th, 2023, 00:21
Thanks for the follow up. I'm trying to save the step of having to target each SHARETURN. Is there not a way to automatically target within Advanced Effects to save me that step? Makes sense that it doesn't know the targets when added to CT, but wondering if there was a trick such as referencing an NPC by name.

MrDDT
October 15th, 2023, 01:25
Thanks for the follow up. I'm trying to save the step of having to target each SHARETURN. Is there not a way to automatically target within Advanced Effects to save me that step? Makes sense that it doesn't know the targets when added to CT, but wondering if there was a trick such as referencing an NPC by name.

No there isn’t.

dwg1996
October 20th, 2023, 21:35
Hello, Just trying to confirm something. I am getting the following warning from the Console log. It is mentioned at about page 86 of this thread, but I didn't see a definitive answer. [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (feat_main) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [AdvancedEffects] [advanced_effects.xml]

Is there a "fix" for this? Or is it something that doesn't affect anything in game and I can just ignore? Thanks!

rhagelstrom
October 21st, 2023, 00:11
Hello, Just trying to confirm something. I am getting the following warning from the Console log. It is mentioned at about page 86 of this thread, but I didn't see a definitive answer. [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (feat_main) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [AdvancedEffects] [advanced_effects.xml]

Is there a "fix" for this? Or is it something that doesn't affect anything in game and I can just ignore? Thanks!

It's an interaction between two extensions to have more synergy. Advanced Effects and I'm not sure of the other one. If the other one isn't loaded, it reports a warning. It is harmless

dwg1996
October 21st, 2023, 01:13
It's an interaction between two extensions to have more synergy. Advanced Effects and I'm not sure of the other one. If the other one isn't loaded, it reports a warning. It is harmless

Thanks. I'll play around a bit more to see if i can figure out which extension may not be loaded and if I can't figure it out, I'll ignore! :)

rocketvaultgames
November 1st, 2023, 01:43
I'm having an issue with an item saying it is adding/removing an effect to a PC when equipped/unequipped by message in the chatbox, but not actually adding/removing the effect in the CT. I transfer the item to a different PC and it works correctly...

The effect is: "IF: ATK(ranged, weapon); DMG: 1d8; IFT: TYPE(giant); DMG: 1d8"

Chat messages:

"Advanced Effect ['Dwarven Thrower;IF: ATK(ranged, weapon); DMG: 1d8; IFT: TYPE(giant); DMG: 1d8'] -> [to Kvothe DarkAnchor] [by Dwarven Thrower]"
"Advanced Effect ['IF: ATK(ranged, weapon); DMG: 1d8; IFT: TYPE(giant); DMG: 1d8'] removed [from Kvothe DarkAnchor] [by Dwarven Thrower]"

I don't think that should matter as it works on other PCs...

Advanced Effects is the only extension loaded, but I do usually run with many extensions.

Any idea what might be causing that?

Griogre
November 1st, 2023, 15:26
Since it works on the others, it sounds like that PC doesn't have the weapon attuned. The dwarven thrower is also only supposed to be attunable by a dwarf but I don't see anything in that effect that is checking for that so that is not likely an issue.

rocketvaultgames
November 1st, 2023, 15:59
I ended up deleting the PC from the CT, restarting FGU and re-adding the PC. It seems to be working now, but I'm really not sure what caused it.

I definitely cycled through all the combos of attuning/equipping. I don't think the effect checks for 'dwarf' and it did work on a tiefling without issue.

MrDDT
November 1st, 2023, 16:25
There is no dwarf check.
It could have been the effect was added from something else.

crankdawg47
January 3rd, 2024, 03:29
Came looking for documentation on what effects can be applied and how, but I don't see that here.

Little help?

MrDDT
January 3rd, 2024, 06:24
Came looking for documentation on what effects can be applied and how, but I don't see that here.

Little help?

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

That should get you started, if you have questions let me know.

Zeruel_Kagenie
January 7th, 2024, 02:43
There is a visual error with the feats as seen in the attached image. Tested the extension in a new campaign with only the 5E Advanced Effects extension loaded.

MrDDT
January 7th, 2024, 06:53
There is a visual error with the feats as seen in the attached image. Tested the extension in a new campaign with only the 5E Advanced Effects extension loaded.

Same issue.

claedawg
January 7th, 2024, 16:43

I've noticed this issues for a couple of months. It also affects items, making the only way to get to the description field (especially when it is empty) at the bottom to tab your way there.

celestian
January 9th, 2024, 05:37
I've noticed this issues for a couple of months. It also affects items, making the only way to get to the description field (especially when it is empty) at the bottom to tab your way there.

This probably happened with the remapping of some of the anchor pieces last month or so from JPG. I dont run 5e so dont see this. If someone can suggest which piece of the window to map to I can shift the position there. I try to keep the parity with the 2e version of this but it's not nearly the same that much any longer.

nephranka
January 10th, 2024, 11:40
This probably happened with the remapping of some of the anchor pieces last month or so from JPG. I dont run 5e so dont see this. If someone can suggest which piece of the window to map to I can shift the position there. I try to keep the parity with the 2e version of this but it's not nearly the same that much any longer.

I noticed it but I thought if you resize the window it is fine. At least in 5e.

sinprime
January 14th, 2024, 21:59

This also happens while viewing character "Race" Traits!

celestian
January 16th, 2024, 15:43
I'll see if I can address the graphical hitch but wont be until first of February. Day job project is finishing up. I did receive a update from dev to correct for some issues with interactions with his extension as well that will be applied to live then also.

nephranka
January 18th, 2024, 00:59

The empty field is what I missed. It does indeed require a tab to get there. Sorry for the post on the non empty fields. I did not mean to muddy the water.

celestian
January 29th, 2024, 17:35
I'll see if I can address the graphical hitch but wont be until first of February. Day job project is finishing up. I did receive a update from dev to correct for some issues with interactions with his extension as well that will be applied to live then also.

Returned from my day job travel and looked at this last night for a while. I tried a few things and was unable to get this resolved how I want. It's looking like I'll have to override a piece of this I REALLY don't want to because I dont want to have to revisits this anytime JPG or someone else updates 5e. Previously I could attach the subwindow to the text but now they drop that to bottom of the window. Doing the same thing overlays both of them (as has been reported).

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

BlazingAzureCrow
March 7th, 2024, 04:44
When I open or move windows that would have Advanced Effects programming, it gives me these errors (or ones equivalent based on the type of window. The Advanced Effects section is also no longer visible and can't be edited. I think these issues only popped up as of the update earlier today.

celestian
March 7th, 2024, 06:17
When I open or move windows that would have Advanced Effects programming, it gives me these errors (or ones equivalent based on the type of window. The Advanced Effects section is also no longer visible and can't be edited. I think these issues only popped up as of the update earlier today.

Yeah somethings I wanted to resolve before 4.5 but didnt realize it was going live today. Working to resolve some discovered issues with AD&D 2E ruleset and ill get back to AE and Better Menus.

BlazingAzureCrow
March 7th, 2024, 21:47
Yeah somethings I wanted to resolve before 4.5 but didnt realize it was going live today. Working to resolve some discovered issues with AD&D 2E ruleset and ill get back to AE and Better Menus.

You're a hero! I couldn't live without this extension.

celestian
March 7th, 2024, 23:33

I've got a version on TEST channel for review that should resolve the immediate issues. I will probably push it out to live in the next day or so. If you have time please check it works as expected.

I tested race/items and npcs. That will be where my scope is moving forward on this update.

bwatford
March 8th, 2024, 04:44
If this helps any, here is my console errors for AE

[3/7/2024 5:03:58 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (feat_main) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [AdvancedEffects] [advanced_effects.xml]

celestian
March 8th, 2024, 05:41
If this helps any, here is my console errors for AE

[3/7/2024 5:03:58 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (feat_main) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [AdvancedEffects] [advanced_effects.xml]

Thats not on the TEST channel is it where I posted the most recent changes is it?

bwatford
March 8th, 2024, 06:19
Thats not on the TEST channel is it where I posted the most recent changes is it?

It is not

celestian
March 8th, 2024, 21:32
I've posted version 6.1 to the Forge which should work with the FGU 4.5 updates.

I want to announce that other than minor fixes during this phase of FGU I will no longer continue maintaining this module. I initially created this because the AD&D 2E ruleset and 5E had a lot of similar functionality in regards to effects and 5e players didnt have the feature. Now-a-days 5e has diverged a lot from the way I do things and trying to maintain it is taking up more and more time. I do not play 5e so it's not something I keep up with.

I will continue to make sure the latest version of the code is pushed to the repo from my end. If someone would like to take over the project I'll do what I can to facilitate that.

nephranka
March 9th, 2024, 02:22
I've posted version 6.1 to the Forge which should work with the FGU 4.5 updates.

I want to announce that other than minor fixes during this phase of FGU I will no longer continue maintaining this module. I initially created this because the AD&D 2E ruleset and 5E had a lot of similar functionality in regards to effects and 5e players didnt have the feature. Now-a-days 5e has diverged a lot from the way I do things and trying to maintain it is taking up more and more time. I do not play 5e so it's not something I keep up with.

I will continue to make sure the latest version of the code is pushed to the repo from my end. If someone would like to take over the project I'll do what I can to facilitate that.

I, for one would like to thank you for the effort thus far. This is truly a "must have" ext.

This is a major blow to the way I run my games and I can only hope someone else will pick up the torch.

MrDDT
March 9th, 2024, 02:27
Wow thank you for your work on this. This extension is key in how I play. I hope either Smiteworks will put this into FGu or someone can pick this up and keep it working.

Gilafron
March 9th, 2024, 15:50
I use this extension and love it! Sorry to see you go. Thanks Celestian for the effort you put into it. It really helped. Great work!

rocketvaultgames
March 9th, 2024, 16:03
I'll jump in to agree! Your work has been truly appreciated!!

Dax Doomslayer
March 9th, 2024, 17:36
This is totally understandable but sad news. Thanks for all your efforts celestian - they are greatly appreciated. This extension is a really important way in which I play. I echo Mr. DDT's thoughts that this is a key extension in how I play also. We can only hope that Smiteworks makes this as part of the base functionality of the program. Thanks again for maintaining this as long as you have for 5E.

BlazingAzureCrow
March 9th, 2024, 19:11
Echoing the sentiment. This extension might as well be integral to the core FG experience for me. It should really be integrated as base functionality.

celestian
March 9th, 2024, 20:38
Echoing the sentiment. This extension might as well be integral to the core FG experience for me. It should really be integrated as base functionality.

I completely agree and one reason I added it to the AD&D 2E ruleset as one of the earliest features. Hopefully Smiteworks'll cook up something that is based on CoreRPG so everyone can do so.

Hopefully a 5e community member will step up and take on the mantle in the meantime.

rhagelstrom
March 13th, 2024, 05:07
I'll volunteer to be the ward. This extension is too important to fall in disrepair. We can work out details in dms.

BlazingAzureCrow
March 13th, 2024, 05:08
I'll volunteer to be the ward. This extension is too important to fall in disrepair. We can work out details in dms.

This is what heroism looks like.

MrDDT
March 13th, 2024, 06:45

Great news!!!
Thank you.

nephranka
March 13th, 2024, 10:12

Thank you for your service to the cause!

Dax Doomslayer
March 13th, 2024, 13:56
Thanks for stepping up!! This is terrific to hear. I wish this was part of the basic FGU platform - it's that important.

rocketvaultgames
March 13th, 2024, 14:29
Much obliged!

This extension is on the ever-growing list of must-haves.

Grommit57
March 16th, 2024, 04:39
You are awesome!

Norahyon
March 28th, 2024, 16:15
This is easily the best and my favorite extension on FGU. Thank you so much Ceslestian for all your work on this extension, on a D&D version you don't even play. :D

rhagelstrom
March 28th, 2024, 17:10
Version update: 6.2
Code cleanup. Got rid of some warnings that were getting thrown.

MrDDT
March 28th, 2024, 17:53
Version update: 6.2
Code cleanup. Got rid of some warnings that were getting thrown.

Thanks for taking this over and doing a great job.

Dax Doomslayer
March 28th, 2024, 18:25
Yes - thanks for picking up the mantle for 5E from Celestian!