PDA

View Full Version : 5E Advanced Effects (items, npcs, characters)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Zandel
December 29th, 2019, 16:14
All good now thanks

Zandel
December 30th, 2019, 01:50
So I have another question. I can apply the effects to the item when its in a character's inventory, but I can't seem to do it when its in the library. Is there a way to do that? My intent was not to have to code it every time I give an item to a character

celestian
December 30th, 2019, 04:41
So I have another question. I can apply the effects to the item when its in a character's inventory, but I can't seem to do it when its in the library. Is there a way to do that? My intent was not to have to code it every time I give an item to a character

It has to be on a pc to apply the effect to something.

Zandel
December 30th, 2019, 11:44
It has to be on a pc to apply the effect to something.

That's unfortunate, is there a way to copy items from one character to another?

Trenloe
December 30th, 2019, 11:53
You can add the effects to an item - but the item needs to be a modifiable item in the campaign data list (the "Item" button on the right side of the desktop). Create a writable copy of an existing item by drag/dropping the item within this window - then you'll be able to add effects to the item record.

Zandel
December 30th, 2019, 12:10
That worked, I must have picked one of the locked ones, thank you!

TheMellowFellow
January 5th, 2020, 17:04
I am experiencing a bug when loading this wonderful extension and I was hoping you folks could help.

When giving a player access to an NPC sheet via the CT, they get a blank sheet.
I've disabled this extension and the problem does not appear.
Screenshot of the issue. (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/289872657590124554/663427069203709976/unknown.png)

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution on hand?

Zacchaeus
January 5th, 2020, 17:24
Hi, the MellowFellow, welcome to FG.

I'm not seeing this. Make sure that both the PC and NPC are properly on the CT and that the NPC is friendly and that you drag the NPC and drop it onto the character portrait of the PC.

If that is what you are doing perhaps try deleting the extension and re-downloading it. Make sure you have the latest version.

TheMellowFellow
January 5th, 2020, 20:54
Thank you for the quick response!
I updated the extension and everything works fine.
The obvious solution sometimes isn't the first idea, but it all worked out.

Thanks again!

celestian
January 5th, 2020, 23:06
Thank you for the quick response!
I updated the extension and everything works fine.
The obvious solution sometimes isn't the first idea, but it all worked out.

There has been discussion that at some point we'll be able to have a updater within FGU to allow updates for extensions so that you're ensured to have the most current.... that said I've not heard anything about it in the "coming soon" but... someday this will be a non-issue ;)

4wire
March 12th, 2020, 02:37
Hi Celestian!

I'm seeing these since the update to 3.3.10. They seem to only appear if combined with 5e Combat Enhancer Classic v1_5_9 (which I'm debugging).

Runtime Notice: s'manager_effect_adnd.lua' | s'isValidCheckEffect' | s'bResult' | bTRUE

Looking at the lua, I'm not sure how critical that debug statement is...

celestian
March 12th, 2020, 03:15
Hi Celestian!

I'm seeing these since the update to 3.3.10. They seem to only appear if combined with 5e Combat Enhancer Classic v1_5_9 (which I'm debugging).

Runtime Notice: s'manager_effect_adnd.lua' | s'isValidCheckEffect' | s'bResult' | bTRUE

Looking at the lua, I'm not sure how critical that debug statement is...

I'm not sure what that's from. Checking my extension code I don't even see a debug to console for that. I've no familiarity with the Combat Enhancer.

I went back several revs of my code and don't see that.

I'd suggest clearing out any local versions and downloading the latest and seeing if it's still an issue. From my testing of 5E I've not seen any issues with the current version with 3.3.9 or 3.3.10.

4wire
March 12th, 2020, 03:25
For reference:

AdvancedEffects->manager_effect_adnd.lua line 581.

Yeah, still does it. Not saying the problem is with AdvancedEffect, trying to understand what that debug indicates.

celestian
March 12th, 2020, 03:29
For reference:

AdvancedEffects->manager_effect_adnd.lua line 581.

Line 581 in manager_effect_adnd.lua is

Hum, that IS the current version of the extension here but not the latest. I'll correct that. My mistake... I thought I had updated when I guess I had not.

celestian
March 12th, 2020, 03:34
Update 4.2: Bugfix: issues with DMonly flags on effects.

Also cleans out some irrelevant debug code left dangling in older versions of the extension.

4wire
March 12th, 2020, 13:59
I'll give that a spin! Cheers man!

MarcusMapal
March 26th, 2020, 23:26
Celestina, you are on fire with the FGU extensions! Is there any chance this will also come to FGU?

celestian
March 26th, 2020, 23:44
Celestina, you are on fire with the FGU extensions! Is there any chance this will also come to FGU?

Have you tried it? I'm not aware of any changes that would keep it from working but if you find something I'll take a look.

flynnkd
March 27th, 2020, 03:42
I've been using this tool for some time and only recently had a closer look at how it works. I had assumed (wrongly) that if I applied an effect to a sword that checked for undead and added +2 dmg it only applied to that sword. But it seems that once an effect is loaded onto a player it applies to everything, every weapon or dmg event.

Is there a way to apply an effect specifically, only, to an item when it is used? I am guessing not but can't hurt to ask.

Also, if you use an IFT can I have multiple efects from the one check? eg IFT: TYPE(Undead): ATK 2; DMG 2; or do you have to check for each mod... IFT: TYPE(Undead): ATK 2; IFT: TYPE(Undead): DMG 2; or can you use commas? IFT: TYPE(Undead): ATK 2, DMG 2; (not sure if colons and semis are right but you get the point).

celestian
March 27th, 2020, 03:58
I've been using this tool for some time and only recently had a closer look at how it works. I had assumed (wrongly) that if I applied an effect to a sword that checked for undead and added +2 dmg it only applied to that sword. But it seems that once an effect is loaded onto a player it applies to everything, every weapon or dmg event.

Is there a way to apply an effect specifically, only, to an item when it is used? I am guessing not but can't hurt to ask.

Also, if you use an IFT can I have multiple efects from the one check? eg IFT: TYPE(Undead): ATK 2; DMG 2; or do you have to check for each mod... IFT: TYPE(Undead): ATK 2; IFT: TYPE(Undead): DMG 2; or can you use commas? IFT: TYPE(Undead): ATK 2, DMG 2; (not sure if colons and semis are right but you get the point).

Set the "action only" value on the effect.

https://i.imgur.com/QzwZaqx.png

Dax Doomslayer
March 27th, 2020, 21:43
Hey Celestian,
I'm trying (for the first time) to use this for a Sunsword (from Curse of Strahd). For some reason, I can't get it to work and it could be just the string I'm using. I'm entering under the "Effect Features": Longsword Sunsword; IFT: TYPE (undead); DMG: 1d8 radiant to add the d8 radiant to undead but it doesn't seem to take it. When I add this to the combat tracker, it does work. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's probably something stupid. Thanks!

celestian
March 27th, 2020, 21:53
Hey Celestian,
I'm trying (for the first time) to use this for a Sunsword (from Curse of Strahd). For some reason, I can't get it to work and it could be just the string I'm using. I'm entering under the "Effect Features": Longsword Sunsword; IFT: TYPE (undead); DMG: 1d8 radiant to add the d8 radiant to undead but it doesn't seem to take it. When I add this to the combat tracker, it does work. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's probably something stupid. Thanks!

This works for me.

https://i.imgur.com/cBxOokm.png

Dax Doomslayer
March 28th, 2020, 00:02
Hmmm - I think I have it exactly like you do above: IFT:TYPE(undead);DMG: 1d8 radiant. I'm somewhat vexed. I can get it to work in the CT though...

Salva
March 28th, 2020, 00:12
Hey Celestian,

Try not to place the "Longsword Sunsword;" in the line, just "IFT:TYPE(undead);DMG: 1d8 radiant". Maybe thats interfering.

Dax Doomslayer
March 28th, 2020, 00:19
Try not to place the "Longsword Sunsword;" in the line, just "IFT:TYPE(undead);DMG: 1d8 radiant". Maybe thats interfering.

Thanks for the response Salva, I did try that actually (see the post above yours)

Salva
March 28th, 2020, 00:55
Thanks for the response Salva, I did try that actually (see the post above yours)

Ya, im trying right now and is not working for me neither.
It does work if you configure the effect as an spell or power or if you add it in the Abilities tab but not directly in the weapon.
Also will work if you first config the effect on a weapon and they drag it on the player.

Dax Doomslayer
March 28th, 2020, 02:49
Yeah - I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I've attached a file if that helps...32690

Salva
March 28th, 2020, 03:42
Yeah - I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I've attached a file if that helps...32690
Ok i think i know what is the problem.
Check that the weapon is in "equipped" state in the inventory tab.
Im almost sure you have it in "carried" or "not carried" and thats why the effect is not being applied correctly.

Dax Doomslayer
March 28th, 2020, 04:47
Ok i think i know what is the problem.
Check that the weapon is in "equipped" state in the inventory tab.
Im almost sure you have it in "carried" or "not carried" and thats why the effect is not being applied correctly.

Well Salva, as soon as you said that, I realized that was the issue. I knew it had to be something stupid I was (or wasn't) doing). It works now. Thank you very much!!!

celestian
March 28th, 2020, 05:00
Well Salva, as soon as you said that, I realized that was the issue. I knew it had to be something stupid I was (or wasn't) doing). It works now. Thank you very much!!!

If the effect isn't on the PC in the CT then it's probably not equipped. I thought you had said it was in the CT so I did not mention that.

Dax Doomslayer
March 28th, 2020, 14:21
If the effect isn't on the PC in the CT then it's probably not equipped. I thought you had said it was in the CT so I did not mention that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding celestian. What I meant was I could put it directly into the CT and it would work but it wasn't working with the extension. I have since found that I was dumb and not equipping it and now it all works - lol...My apologies for this little goat rodeo!

celestian
March 28th, 2020, 19:46
Sorry for the misunderstanding celestian. What I meant was I could put it directly into the CT and it would work but it wasn't working with the extension. I have since found that I was dumb and not equipping it and now it all works - lol...My apologies for this little goat rodeo!

All good! Glad it's workin for ya now.

Thuldan
March 29th, 2020, 09:18
Have you tried it? I'm not aware of any changes that would keep it from working but if you find something I'll take a look.

Did you ever find out if this extension is compatible with FGU?

celestian
March 29th, 2020, 09:31
Did you ever find out if this extension is compatible with FGU?

As I mentioned before as far as I am aware there is no reason it should break. The functionality is within the scope of the ruleset, not so much the API of FGU. It works in 2E so I see no reason it shouldn't in the extension. Tho if you find something off feel free to let me know.

Thuldan
March 29th, 2020, 20:31
Trying to apply a Blessing of Protection as a permanent effect in the advanced effects abilities. Currently I have to place this code into the actions as an effect, "Blessing; AC:1; Save:1". This applies correctly but has to be done so every combat. When I try to translate it to the Advanced Effects are to make it permanent it only affect the AC. Additionally it displays only [] as the name. Any suggestions or do you have an idea of what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the help.

celestian
March 29th, 2020, 20:36
Trying to apply a Blessing of Protection as a permanent effect in the advanced effects abilities. Currently I have to place this code into the actions as an effect, "Blessing; AC:1; Save:1". This applies correctly but has to be done so every combat. When I try to translate it to the Advanced Effects are to make it permanent it only affect the AC. Additionally it displays only [] as the name. Any suggestions or do you have an idea of what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the help.

What are you putting it on? PC or a Item? What values are you setting on each? Screenshot would be great.

Thuldan
March 29th, 2020, 21:06
What are you putting it on? PC or a Item? What values are you setting on each? Screenshot would be great.
I'm putting it on the PC. It would be a base +1 to saves and AC. lol dumb question how do I paste a screenshot into the reply?

celestian
March 29th, 2020, 21:28
I'm putting it on the PC. It would be a base +1 to saves and AC. lol dumb question how do I paste a screenshot into the reply?

You can attach it to a message.

For me your effect string works fine.

https://i.imgur.com/BaTGzEG.png

Thuldan
March 29th, 2020, 21:37
Now it is indeed working, but oddly I'm still seeing only [] in under the Advanced Effects. 32787

celestian
March 29th, 2020, 22:02
Now it is indeed working, but oddly I'm still seeing only [] in under the Advanced Effects. 32787

Are you running FGU and not FGC? Otherwise I'm at a loss why it would appear like that. I'm running the current 5E w/o any extensions or themes and I don't get that in my tests (and shots above).

Thuldan
March 29th, 2020, 22:19
Yes I am running FGU. I was able to get the weapon effect I was working on as well to display but not the effect we were working on. It displays on the character tracker just fine so that is what matters. BTW how do you code damage die to appear only on crit. For example I have a lvl 12 barbarian wielding a greataxe which does 2d8 cold damage on critical. Ultimately it is 3d12 Slashing + 2d8 Cold on critical. I used "IFT: critical; DMG 1d8 cold" which gives the desired dice total, but unfortunately it still puts 1d8 cold on the normal attacks. Image example 32788

celestian
March 29th, 2020, 23:20
Yes I am running FGU.

FGU has a problem displaying subwindows. Until that's corrected it will not show properly. Resizing the window will sometimes get it to update.

As to your crit question. Look here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=439930&viewfull=1#post439930)

Valdemar
March 30th, 2020, 22:55
Celestian -

Is is possible to have an if statement that is tied to a character Class (i.e. cleric and/or druid)?

[IF:CLASS(cleric, druid); CHA: 1] visibility [hide]

If it is possible, is the syntax in the attached correct? It doesn't appear to be working.

Sorry about the crappy quality of the picture - that is why I typed out the coding.

- V -

celestian
March 31st, 2020, 00:18
Celestian -

Is is possible to have an if statement that is tied to a character Class (i.e. cleric and/or druid)?

[IF:CLASS(cleric, druid); CHA: 1] visibility [hide]

If it is possible, is the syntax in the attached correct? It doesn't appear to be working.

Sorry about the crappy quality of the picture - that is why I typed out the coding.

- V -

I am not a 5E effect expert so I would defer to what is on the wiki for it... but anything that works manually applying to a PC should work attached to PC via the abilities tab/Advanced Effects or onto an item. There is one situation where it will not work (related to stat application I think) and you can find it early on in the thread here. Because of the way Advanced Effects work they need to be the "source" for the effect. In that situation it required the source be something else. I don't recall the exact specifics and im remote right now so hard to search.

mattekure
March 31st, 2020, 01:06
CLASS is not a valid conditional operator for IF/IFT. The only ones allowed are listed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#A_Note_on_IF_and_IFT

TheoGeek
March 31st, 2020, 23:03
CLASS is not a valid conditional operator for IF/IFT. The only ones allowed are listed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#A_Note_on_IF_and_IFT

So CLASS isn't a valid conditional, but CUSTOM() is... :)

Do you think adding a user created condition like "Cleric" (or whatever class is in question) and then doing something like IF:CUSTOM(Cleric) would work?

LordEntrails
April 1st, 2020, 19:21

Do you think adding a user created condition like "Cleric" (or whatever class is in question) and then doing something like IF:CUSTOM(Cleric) would work?
Yes, you would have to create the effect on each cleric such as;

"Cleric"

Then the IFT can look for that and evaluate.

edit: updated effect per Mattekure's correct answer!

mattekure
April 1st, 2020, 19:23
You will need to create an effect on the target "Cleric" then on your character you can do IFT: CUSTOM(Cleric); it will look for the "Cleric" tag on the npc and apply appropriately.

celestian
April 1st, 2020, 20:29

If you use the AD&D 2E ruleset, then in an upcoming patch you'll have access to the conditional CLASS(). I added it based on this discussion. Paladin Holy Sword to the rescue IF:CLASS(paladin);ATK:5;DMG:5.

(note, CLASS() is NOT a thing in the 5E ruleset)

Thanks for the idea ;)

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 02:05
Is there a reason why the advanced effects are only showing to GM even if set as visible? I'm stumped.

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 03:45
Is there a reason why the advanced effects are only showing to GM even if set as visible? I'm stumped.

Testing it locally works fine for me.

https://i.imgur.com/XUdog0C.png

That is me connected to a server with allow edit enabled.

If you enabled it while they had the item opened it wont show until they close and re-open however.

If you're running FGU, it might not show at all because FGU has problems refreshing subwindows entirely.

Houndy
April 2nd, 2020, 11:05
So, managing to work around the UI issues with FGU. But for me, when I add the NPC to the CT it is not applying the effect. Is this because of FGU, or something ive done wrong?

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 15:36
So, managing to work around the UI issues with FGU. But for me, when I add the NPC to the CT it is not applying the effect. Is this because of FGU, or something ive done wrong?

Have you tried it in FGC yet?

If the NPC has the effect attached it should place it. FGU has another problem with editing an existing record (for maps at least). Try making a local copy of the NPC, add the effect to that one then place it into the CT and see what happens.

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 16:18
Testing it locally works fine for me.

That is me connected to a server with allow edit enabled.

If you enabled it while they had the item opened it wont show until they close and re-open however.

If you're running FGU, it might not show at all because FGU has problems refreshing subwindows entirely.

Happy to report I have the same behavior in FGC. It increases my chances I AM doing something wrong! :)

See this: 32980

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 16:51
Happy to report I have the same behavior in FGC. It increases my chances I AM doing something wrong! :)

See this: 32980

Perhaps you are not setting the right campaign setting.

https://i.imgur.com/NQpeOQo.png

That is where you set the campaign setting to let users see/edit advanced effects on items.

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 16:54
Perhaps you are not setting the right campaign setting.

That is where you set the campaign setting to let users see/edit advanced effects on items.

It is enabled indeed! They can see the effects in the items but not the effect in the CT, unless I manually change the visibility of each effect (which is my official workaround).

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 17:07
It is enabled indeed! They can see the effects in the items but not the effect in the CT, unless I manually change the visibility of each effect (which is my official workaround).

The campaign setting has no affect on the effect display in the CT.

Your setting of -/hide/show on the effect should be what allows it to be seen in the CT. Your image has it set to [SHOW]. That "should" let it be seen in the CT. I'll check things locally tonight after day job and see if I have the same issue and if so resolve.

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 18:49
The campaign setting has no affect on the effect display in the CT.

Your setting of -/hide/show on the effect should be what allows it to be seen in the CT. Your image has it set to [SHOW]. That "should" let it be seen in the CT. I'll check things locally tonight after day job and see if I have the same issue and if so resolve.

By the way, I'm using a clone of the github repo, not the ext file. I'll try the ext.

Update: same result.

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 20:03
By the way, I'm using a clone of the github repo, not the ext file. I'll try the ext.

Update: same result.

Actually if you are using the repo, grab the version I just pushed, 4.3 and try it out.

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 20:16
Actually if you are using the repo, grab the version I just pushed, 4.3 and try it out.

Yup, that did it!

I tried to debug using the console but couldn't make anything print for the life of me.

Thanks bud.

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 20:28
Yup, that did it!

I tried to debug using the console but couldn't make anything print for the life of me.

Thanks bud.

I had added a test to check that the token was visible so that NPCs effects wouldn't show if the NPC wasn't showing. The problem is it was checking tokenvis for players also which is not a thing so always returned false.

I'll update the version at the top later tonight.

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 21:26
All good in FGU as well my man!

Edit: Wait... it shows in the chat window but nit in the effects list anymore.. wth.

Edit 2: If my ring has just one effect, e.g. [AC: 1] it works. If I put [SAVE: 1] as well no effects show up.

Edit 3: Probably a conflict with the 5e enhancer. :(

celestian
April 2nd, 2020, 21:46
All good in FGU as well my man!

Edit: Wait... it shows in the chat window but nit in the effects list anymore.. wth.

Edit 2: If my ring has just one effect, e.g. [AC: 1] it works. If I put [SAVE: 1] as well no effects show up.

Edit 3: Probably a conflict with the 5e enhancer. :(

It works in my local tests in FGC. I can't speak to FGU (not testing there). You can check that it's working if you toggle the item identified as well. It'll change the effect from VIS to GM if the item is not identified and back when you toggle it off.

And if you have other extensions that do anything in the CT or effects it is quite possible it's messing about with the behavior of this one. Try disabling them all except this one to verify.

4wire
April 2nd, 2020, 23:18
It works in my local tests in FGC. I can't speak to FGU (not testing there). You can check that it's working if you toggle the item identified as well. It'll change the effect from VIS to GM if the item is not identified and back when you toggle it off.

And if you have other extensions that do anything in the CT or effects it is quiet possible it's messing about with the behavior of this one. Try disabling them all except this one to verify.

If I put all effects in one effect box, it works though. So it seems, in FGU, teh problem is with an item with multiple effect entries. FGC is fine.

E.g.
[AC:+1;SAVE:+1] -> works

[AC:+1]
[SAVE:+1] -> no worky

Houndy
April 3rd, 2020, 10:04
Have you tried it in FGC yet?

If the NPC has the effect attached it should place it. FGU has another problem with editing an existing record (for maps at least). Try making a local copy of the NPC, add the effect to that one then place it into the CT and see what happens.

so did some debugging and its the death indicator extended extension which caused the issues, after disabling it works fine :).

I found that all you have to do is close the NPC and reopen to fix the UI (and redo whenever you make changes) so its not a hard workaround.

dotsoncs
April 4th, 2020, 21:26
Just skimmed through the thread and didn't see it mentioned but I was hoping to add the Giant Slayer Greataxe effects for a player. The damage is the easy part:

IFT: TYPE (giant); DMG: 2d6 slashing (Action Only option checked)

The other effect assigned the to the weapon forces a giant to make a DC 15 STR check. If they fail they go "prone". Is it possible to add this effect via the mod? Thanks for all the work you do, this really should be added to the core application as it helps automate so much of the tedium.

celestian
April 4th, 2020, 21:41
Just skimmed through the thread and didn't see it mentioned but I was hoping to add the Giant Slayer Greataxe effects for a player. The damage is the easy part:

IFT: TYPE (giant); DMG: 2d6 slashing (Action Only option checked)

The other effect assigned the to the weapon forces a giant to make a DC 15 STR check. If they fail they go "prone". Is it possible to add this effect via the mod? Thanks for all the work you do, this really should be added to the core application as it helps automate so much of the tedium.

There is no way to add an effect from an effect right now. You'd have to add the power and effect to the item and when the weapon is used it triggers the save and if they fail then manually apply the effect.

flynnkd
April 5th, 2020, 00:09
Its not a save, its a check. I don't recall it being possible to make checks, I hope there is and you can tell me as I need it for grapples. As an extra wish, an IF(check/save failed, do this) type code would be awesome. :)

avitale34
April 14th, 2020, 02:31
Is this working for other people in FGU? I don't seem to be getting this section automatically put onto a PC sheet.

EDIT: I found it sorry but it is not letting me save what I put in.

4wire
April 14th, 2020, 15:47
Is this working for other people in FGU? I don't seem to be getting this section automatically put onto a PC sheet.

EDIT: I found it sorry but it is not letting me save what I put in.

It's saved, the window is not updated. Same problem for effects on items. That's an FGU issue.

solomani
April 19th, 2020, 03:12
Can I use this plugin to automate auras by chance? Thanks.

celestian
April 19th, 2020, 05:23

I've no idea what those are. YOu'll have to explain. If they use effects in FG then the answer is "maybe".

solomani
April 19th, 2020, 06:40
Basically, an effect that triggers automatically, usually, at the start of a monsters turn when a hostile creature is within a certain range. For example, a terrifying iron golem has a 10-foot aura that does 5 poison damage to all hostile creatures (PCs from the mosnters point of view) at the start of the golems turn.

celestian
April 19th, 2020, 08:50
Basically, an effect that triggers automatically, usually, at the start of a monsters turn when a hostile creature is within a certain range. For example, a terrifying iron golem has a 10-foot aura that does 5 poison damage to all hostile creatures (PCs from the mosnters point of view) at the start of the golems turn.

There is no function with this extension to automatically trigger application of an extension on char/npc turn.

solomani
April 19th, 2020, 09:09
Cool, thanks.

Hintalow
April 19th, 2020, 09:11
Hi there!

Quite new here, but I think your extension is just what I'm looking for in my campaign :)
If I understand correctly, with thi I can create items wich can have their uniqe properities, so by equipping on a pc, the effects can take place without detailing them in the actions tab?
For example, if I want to give a slightly altered mace of disruption to on of my players, I can make it so, that he will be able, to use its effects automaticaly, if he has the weapon?
(sorry my bad english, its basically my 3rd language)

celestian
April 19th, 2020, 20:17
Hi there!

Quite new here, but I think your extension is just what I'm looking for in my campaign :)
If I understand correctly, with thi I can create items wich can have their uniqe properities, so by equipping on a pc, the effects can take place without detailing them in the actions tab?
For example, if I want to give a slightly altered mace of disruption to on of my players, I can make it so, that he will be able, to use its effects automaticaly, if he has the weapon?
(sorry my bad english, its basically my 3rd language)

If you mean, can it have 1d6 extra acid damage on crit for that weapon? Yes. IF you mean using that weapon they get more damage versus a dragon? Yes it will do that.

Hintalow
April 21st, 2020, 07:17
Thank you, I'll look into it :D

sstarsslayer
April 26th, 2020, 05:28

but the new DiabloBob's "DM Tools" extension from Dmsguild site does have features intended for auras that sounds kinda like what you are looking for.

kevininrussia
April 26th, 2020, 23:15
Any chance of getting a 4e version of this extension? :-)

rmilmine
April 27th, 2020, 18:46
Hi, Has anyone by chance done a pathfinder version of this?

Beemanpat
April 27th, 2020, 23:24

I don't think it automates it but you can token stack. You can place an aura on npc/pc token to allow visual aid for aura.
There is a video in the link that explains and demonstrates.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56857-DiabloBob-s-DM-Tools-1-on-DMs-Guild

rmilmine
May 3rd, 2020, 16:22
I have a question. If I wanted to create an extension that created items that included prebuilt effects, and in so doing use this extension, in them how would I go about doing so?

I started with the following:

local nodeNewItem = DB.copyNode(nodeItem);
local nodeEffectList = DB.getChild(nodeNewItem, "effectlist");
if not nodeEffectList then
nodeEffectList = nodeNewItem.createChild("effectlist");
end

local nodeEffect = DB.createChild(nodeEffectList);
DB.setValue(nodeEffect, "effect", "string", "my effect goes here");
DB.setValue(nodeEffect, "actiononly", "bool", true);

Basically I used DB.copyNode to create a new copy of an item.
I then try to get the effectlist of that item.
If one doesn't already exist I create a new effectlist node.
I then create a new node for where the effect will go.
lastly I set the values of the fields for the effect.

Now this code doesn't work. The item when viewed has no effects listed.
So I'm wondering where I'm going wrong.
I'm also unsure of what type actiononly should be.

celestian
May 4th, 2020, 02:00
I have a question. If I wanted to create an extension that created items that included prebuilt effects, and in so doing use this extension, in them how would I go about doing so?

I started with the following:

local nodeNewItem = DB.copyNode(nodeItem);
local nodeEffectList = DB.getChild(nodeNewItem, "effectlist");
if not nodeEffectList then
nodeEffectList = nodeNewItem.createChild("effectlist");
end

local nodeEffect = DB.createChild(nodeEffectList);
DB.setValue(nodeEffect, "effect", "string", "my effect goes here");
DB.setValue(nodeEffect, "actiononly", "bool", true);

Basically I used DB.copyNode to create a new copy of an item.
I then try to get the effectlist of that item.
If one doesn't already exist I create a new effectlist node.
I then create a new node for where the effect will go.
lastly I set the values of the fields for the effect.

Now this code doesn't work. The item when viewed has no effects listed.
So I'm wondering where I'm going wrong.
I'm also unsure of what type actiononly should be.

What I would suggest is to create a item and pc with effects, save the campaign and then open the db.xml. From that you should be able to determine what you need to programmatically add to create them.

selonuk
May 5th, 2020, 17:02
I am quite new to fantasy grounds especially and very new to extensions, however I am currently the DM for 2 Campaigns and a Player for 2 others and wanted to know if it is possible to use advanced effects for any of the following (which would make life so much easier!):

Lay on Hands (Especially keeping track of points used and curing poisons and diseases)
Guidance/Resistance (lets the player use add a d4 to their ability check/Saving Roll)
Bardic/Combat Inspiration (adds a d6 or d8 for improved to a roll)
Combat Superiority Die
Song of Rest (adds 1d6 when Hit Dice are used)
Blessing of the Forge (makes a non magical armour or weapon +1 until end of long rest)
Channel Divinity: Preserve Life (Can heal for point equivalent to 5 times the cleric level upto non bloodied)
Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon (Adds Cha to a Weapons Attack Rolls for 1 min)
Heroism (Immune to Fear and 4 Temp HP each round for 1 min)
Sleep (roll 5d8 then starting with creature on Lowest HP up to amount rolled and puts them to sleep for 1 min)
Reckless (Gives advantage on attacks for the turn and grants advantage to attackers until start of next turn)
Divine Smite (adds 2d8 Radiant Damage for 1st level spell slot +1d8 extra for undead or each spell level higher)
Mirror Image (add 3 images and attacks have decreasing chance of hitting an image)
Lesser Restoration (Remove 1 condition be it a poison or disease)
Invisibility (Touch a willing creature who becomes invisible for 1 hour or until they attack or cast a spell)
Vicious Mockery (specifically the effect for Disadvantage on next attack roll)

I have managed to create a sneak effect and hex from the forums but found that something is going wrong (They target a creature and attack hit then they apply their sneak/hex effect but then when they roll the damage is doesn't apply it even though the creature is still showing as a target in the CT).

Finally a couple of characters have magical items with powers such as the staff of major power which has spells on it, is it possible to have these powers without affecting the characters spell list?

Any help would be very much appreciated as it would make the game run much smoother.

Many Thanks

Selonuk

rmilmine
May 5th, 2020, 23:05
What I would suggest is to create a item and pc with effects, save the campaign and then open the db.xml. From that you should be able to determine what you need to programmatically add to create them.

Figured I out thanks. The bug wasn't in the code I showed it was elsewhere.
But it did help me figure out other things.

I do have a question about the advanced_effect_editor_main...

Where do the lines come from?

I can't seem to find them anywhere and I want to move one down a little so that I can add a checkbox.
I'm trying to port your extension to 3.5e/pf.

I'm mostly done. i just want to allow for the ability to add an effect to an item that is just a label and does not include the item name.
I'm hoping I can get it so that other effects can use the label but have that label only in effect while the item that created it is used.
This would allow for ammo with effects to see if a ranged item that sets the right effect is in use and then do it's effect accordingly.

rmilmine
May 6th, 2020, 00:18
Actually I figured a better way to do it. As a new base type of effect.
Still would like to know how the xml works and where the lines are hidden though.

rmilmine
May 6th, 2020, 03:30
You mind if I post a version of your extension that works for 3.5E and Pathfinder?
I added one item to it as mentioned above. There is a new type, label, it basically doesn't include the item name in the effect allowing for the ability of other items to use it as a trigger.
I'm looking at arrows and bolts. such that +1 flaming bolts would have IF: (Ranged Attack);ATK: 1; DMG: 1d6 fire and the crossbow would have a Label effect "Ranged Attack" that is Action Only.
Equip both items and then use the crossbow and both effects go off.

kentmccullough
May 6th, 2020, 09:12
Couldn't you just do ATK: 1 ranged; DMG: 1d6 ranged, fire ? I'm not sure if 3.5E / Pathfinder work with that, but I know 5E does...

rmilmine
May 6th, 2020, 11:59
Sorry that should have been IF: CUSTOM(Ranged Attack); ATK: 1; DMG: 1d6 fire. Both support this.
ranged is supported by 3.5e and pathfinder. ranged would go off for all ranged attacks. This will only go off for a weapon with this effect attached.

Lou Ciphor
May 7th, 2020, 07:10

This is what you're looking for:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects

dotsoncs
May 20th, 2020, 04:42
Is there anything special that needs to be done to add an effect to an NPC? I've added RESIST:fire to an effect on an NPC card, but it doesn't show when I drag it to the combat tracker. PC and item effects are working normally.

celestian
May 20th, 2020, 04:52
Is there anything special that needs to be done to add an effect to an NPC? I've added RESIST:fire to an effect on an NPC card, but it doesn't show when I drag it to the combat tracker. PC and item effects are working normally.

My only guess is you have another extension that's blocking it from doing what it needs when a npc is placed into the combattracker..

rmilmine
May 20th, 2020, 04:58
Bah, nm. I read this as my port of this code. lol
my bad.

dotsoncs
May 20th, 2020, 13:27
My only guess is you have another extension that's blocking it from doing what it needs when a npc is placed into the combattracker..

Thanks for the suggestion - looks like the Death Indicator (Extended) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49997-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death-(Extended-Version)) extension is causing an issue. It adds Death Save throws for NPCs and uses the CT to handle some of the messaging so I suspect there's an issue there. I'll bring it up in that thread.

kerrigaj
May 26th, 2020, 18:41
Hi celestian - I'm searching for some documentation for your extension - specifically I'd like to be able to code 'advantage' for damage dice - eg roll 2d6 for a shortbow and pick the highest roll to apply. The AiME 5E ruleset requires such coding, but I have so far been unable to code it.

JayTee
June 4th, 2020, 12:15
Hi All,

I have had some great success using the extension to code custom effects to armor however I am struggle to get it to work with the IFT: operator

I am trying to have extra damage done if the target is prone. So far it looks like this in the item detail

Effect Features
[Finisher; IFT: prone; DMG: 1d4]

However when the player clicks the damage roll it does normal damage. the extra 1d4 doesn't show up

Am I missing something? Or am I better off coding the effect right on to the character sheet as DMG: 1d4; [ROLL]; [SELF]? Will the IFT: prone work as a PC effect?

Lou Ciphor
June 4th, 2020, 17:48
Hi All,

I have had some great success using the extension to code custom effects to armor however I am struggle to get it to work with the IFT: operator

I am trying to have extra damage done if the target is prone. So far it looks like this in the item detail

Effect Features
[Finisher; IFT: prone; DMG: 1d4]

However when the player clicks the damage roll it does normal damage. the extra 1d4 doesn't show up

Am I missing something? Or am I better off coding the effect right on to the character sheet as DMG: 1d4; [ROLL]; [SELF]? Will the IFT: prone work as a PC effect?

Finisher; IFT: prone; DMG: 1d4 works as expected for me. When you have [ROLL] the effect drops the next time it is used. If you want it to persist, you have to remove that, and it will fire the additional 1d4 any time your target as the prone affect applied to it.

JayTee
June 5th, 2020, 02:17
Hi Lou,

Finisher; IFT: prone; DMG: 1d4 works fine for me if it put it on the PC sheet as an effect. However I cannot seem to get it to work on the weapon under the Effect Features using the Advanced Effects extension.

E.G:
I create an item in the Item list, lets say a dagger, (1d4) then I put in the effect code so that when the target is prone FG detects it and then rolls 2d4 (1d4 (dagger) + 1d4 (prone)). Put the dagger on the PC sheet and have them equip it. When the PC rolls damage it only pops up 1d4.
Do I need to put 2d4 in the effect code to ensure the 2nd die goes off when the target is prone? Or maybe I need to do 2 separate effects on the item? DMG: 1d4 as the first effect and then a second effect for 1d4 if the target condition = prone?

I did test putting in 2d4 on the weapon effect

Finisher; IFT: prone; DMG: 2d4

but I couldn't get that to work correctly either. It still only rolled 1d4

celestian
June 5th, 2020, 04:31
Hi Lou,

Finisher; IFT: prone; DMG: 1d4 works fine for me if it put it on the PC sheet as an effect. However I cannot seem to get it to work on the weapon under the Effect Features using the Advanced Effects extension.

E.G:
I create an item in the Item list, lets say a dagger, (1d4) then I put in the effect code so that when the target is prone FG detects it and then rolls 2d4 (1d4 (dagger) + 1d4 (prone)). Put the dagger on the PC sheet and have them equip it. When the PC rolls damage it only pops up 1d4.
Do I need to put 2d4 in the effect code to ensure the 2nd die goes off when the target is prone? Or maybe I need to do 2 separate effects on the item? DMG: 1d4 as the first effect and then a second effect for 1d4 if the target condition = prone?

Assuming the effect is being applied correctly and other settings are correct...My guess is the IFT: prone requires the source of the effect to be the person triggering it but when using AdvancedEffects the source is set to it's origin (Abilities Effect, item/etc).

Rades
June 5th, 2020, 06:41
Hi Lou,

E.G:

When they equip the dagger, are you seeing the effect get applied? Because that exact code works just fine for me. I also made sure to apply the Prone effect to the target here by a 3rd party (not the attacker with the Finisher weapon) to make sure that wasn't the problem.

JayTee
June 5th, 2020, 08:40
Thanks Celestian,

I did some tinkering and basically deleted the item, recreated it from scratch and removed the description so it just had the effect code. Logging in to the localhost it worked fine after that.

Thanks everyone for your help!

mattekure
June 10th, 2020, 17:30
Having an issue with effects from items always being set to GM view only, no matter what the visibility setting is. This was tested this morning in a campaign with no other extensions loaded. I can see the effect appearing and being removed when the item is equipped, but it is always set to GM view only.

https://imgur.com/6x4Nr6F.jpg

celestian
June 10th, 2020, 20:25
Having an issue with effects from items always being set to GM view only, no matter what the visibility setting is. This was tested this morning in a campaign with no other extensions loaded. I can see the effect appearing and being removed when the item is equipped, but it is always set to GM view only.

https://imgur.com/6x4Nr6F.jpg

Yup, I ran across the visibility bug and corrected it a month back but have been waiting on FGU... thinking I could make it work for that when released and push it out since it was a minor thing. Grab the version on the repo (just pushed one with current .ext) that should work.

TXCBoy36
June 16th, 2020, 06:59
I am still learning effects. Is there a source where I can learn how to apply and/or use this new extension.....sorry for not understanding all of it yet...

JayTee
June 16th, 2020, 09:15
Hi txc,

I'm new as well. Start with the 5e effects page from FG
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Then assuming you have the effects coding module from Rob2e that comes with the license go in and drop them on a dummy PC. See how they work by clicking the magnifying glass and drilling down. It's much easier to comprehend if you reverse engineer as opposed to starting from scratch.

Then once you understand syntax you can add it to other stuff using advanced effects. I built a bunch of equipment with custom effects using the extension and it's great but it can be tricky. Knowing how the foundations of effects creation makes it much easier. And I am by no means good at it. I just looked, tested, compared, failed, iterated.

The first post in this thread provides examples of how it works. But it isn't easy to grasp of you don't understand how effects themselves work.

Depending on what you're looking to do I'd be happy to show you how I worked it out and provide examples. Also the forums are excellent if you have the patience to sift though a bit.

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2020, 11:02
Hi txc,

Then assuming you have the effects coding module from Rob2e that comes with the license

No such effects coding package comes with the license.

Another source of learning how to create and use effects here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

JayTee
June 16th, 2020, 11:55
[QUOTE=Zacchaeus;519209]No such effects coding package comes with the license.

My bad I did buy a lot of content and the licence all at once so I might have missed that

Sorry!

TXCBoy36
June 16th, 2020, 21:23
Thanks....I will let you know how I do as I progress in this....the help is greatly appreciated.

JohnQPublic
June 20th, 2020, 08:13
There's a paladin in my group that dual wields a shortsword holy avenger and a hammer of throwing. Using the 5E - Advanced Effects extension I put an IFT on each weapon. Giant for the hammer and undead/fiend for the shortsword. That all works great to a point.

Whenever he attacks with either weapon, both IFT are processed.

Is there a way to make it only process the IFT when that specific weapon is being used to attack with, regardless of it's equipped status?

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2020, 09:39
Tick this box I think.

Trenloe
June 20th, 2020, 09:44
There's a paladin in my group that dual wields a shortsword holy avenger and a hammer of throwing. Using the 5E - Advanced Effects extension I put an IFT on each weapon. Giant for the hammer and undead/fiend for the shortsword. That all works great to a point.

Whenever he attacks with either weapon, both IFT are processed.

Is there a way to make it only process the IFT when that specific weapon is being used to attack with, regardless of it's equipped status?
I've moved this post to the thread for the extension you're using. If you have a question related to an extension, the place to ask a question is in the thread of that extension. This keeps all questions and answers together, has a better chance of attracting the attention of the extension developer, and doesn't overwhelm the "Extensions" forum - which is meant to be a place where people post their extensions, not ask questions about existing extensions. Please keep this in mind when posting questions about existing extensions in future. Thanks.

ElectricalChaos
June 20th, 2020, 14:42
Ok maybe someone with more experience on this extension can clue me in, because I can't tell if I'm going this right. I've got the Bloodaxe, trying to add in the conditional necrotic damage (not construct or undead). As a test right now, I'm trying to just go after a humanoid target (Cult Fanatic) but the 1d6 necrotic damage isn't applying. I'm using "IFT:TYPE(humanoid);DMG:1d6,necrotic;" for the effect. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
https://prntscr.com/t3b6xg

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2020, 17:54
Make sure that you created the weapon, added it to the player's inventory and then added the player to the Combat Tracker. The effect should show up as soon as the players is placed on the CT.

ElectricalChaos
June 20th, 2020, 22:55
Ok I ended up finding that the weapon was in the inventory but was not flagged as equipped. As soon as it was equipped, boom, effect applied. Gotta say, I like that level of functionality!

Mithtaken
August 12th, 2020, 15:08
The example shown added effects with syntax that I don't see in the 5E effects wiki.

Is the syntax of "for [2d6 rnds]" and "visibility [hide]" from an extension? Where is this documented?

Mithtaken
August 12th, 2020, 15:12
The example shown added effects with syntax that I don't see in the 5E effects wiki.

Is the syntax of "for [2d6 rnds]" and "visibility [hide]" from an extension? Where is this documented?

I have set these things with the effect UI on the CT. But that UI is not available through this extension. I don't see any documentation on writing it syntactically.

Sorry for the double post. Didn't see it post my original question and thought I did something wrong.

celestian
August 12th, 2020, 16:37

I have set these things with the effect UI on the CT. But that UI is not available through this extension. I don't see any documentation on writing it syntactically.

Sorry for the double post. Didn't see it post my original question and thought I did something wrong.

Click on the effect and edit it.

https://i.imgur.com/PAyRb1s.png

Mithtaken
August 12th, 2020, 17:43
Sorry, For some reason I found myself typing the whole string out without the box. But, I can see it works as intended. Thanks!

bwatford
August 29th, 2020, 00:03
When I add effects to an NPC and then drop them in the combat tracker, their effects are not being added?

Nevermind it was the death token extension causing the issue.

Justanevildm
August 29th, 2020, 20:12
Ok after two days of reading post, watching videos, and allot of trial and error I am throwing into the towel and asking the experts of Fantasy Grounds. Please help this poor wretched an apparently inept computer using fool. Any help appreciated.

So I am trying to alter the Sun Sword in Curse of Strahd a bit. I want the weapon to still be a +3 and deal radiant damage. I want the damage to be 4d10 (plus the 3). However I only want it to effect creatures of Evil Alignment. I want the weapon to do 0 damage to non evil targets.

If I posted all the different things I have tried I would fill a page so I will just say that I am not sure how to go about accomplishing this. Thank you guys in advance.

Rades
August 29th, 2020, 20:52
Ok after two days of reading post, watching videos, and allot of trial and error I am throwing into the towel and asking the experts of Fantasy Grounds. Please help this poor wretched an apparently inept computer using fool. Any help appreciated.

So I am trying to alter the Sun Sword in Curse of Strahd a bit. I want the weapon to still be a +3 and deal radiant damage. I want the damage to be 4d10 (plus the 3). However I only want it to effect creatures of Evil Alignment. I want the weapon to do 0 damage to non evil targets.

If I posted all the different things I have tried I would fill a page so I will just say that I am not sure how to go about accomplishing this. Thank you guys in advance.

I believe you could do it like this:

First, set the base Sun Sword bonus and damage to 0 on its item card. This way by default it does 0 damage. Then add the following effect code to the Sun Sword item card. (And be sure to equip it.)

IFT: ALIGN (evil); ATK: 3; DMG: 4d10+3 radiant

You also have to clear the Sun Sword's damage information on the PC's Actions tab. Clear the default d8, set "Stat" to blank instead of "Base" (otherwise it will still add the PC's Str/Dex modifier against non-evil targets), and finally set the Bonus to blank.

In a quick test, this does 0 damage to non-evil targets (you can drag/apply the damage blood drop, but it deals 0) but will be +3 to hit and deal 4d10+3 radiant to evil targets.

If the PC has some other kind of buff that gives them a damage buff, like DMG: 5 or something, then unfortunately it will still cause the sword to deal this 5 dmg even against non-evil targets. I'm not sure how to nullify that. Hopefully someone else knows a way because that would be a neat bit of effect syntax to know!

HeavyDeception
August 30th, 2020, 00:24
Need help im trying to have this weapon do x4 for its critical but its not working.

https://puu.sh/GndJi/347dbe3e6f.png

https://puu.sh/GndMD/381308a7b8.png

bwatford
August 30th, 2020, 04:47
Need help im trying to have this weapon do x4 for its critical but its not working.

The Syntax should be.

DMG: 2d12, critical; DMG: 2d4, critical

^^^^ that will aad the above damage "ON TOP" of the normal critical damage that the weapon rolls.

Just tested in Unity and it works great.

HeavyDeception
August 30th, 2020, 05:25
The Syntax should be.

DMG: 2d12, critical; DMG: 2d4, critical

^^^^ that will aad the above damage "ON TOP" of the normal critical damage that the weapon rolls.

Just tested in Unity and it works great.

If you look at the ext it will only apply it to the weapons alone if done right is that not correct?
Also I have the Correct Syntax if you looked at the Images is the same as you posted and its still not working.
And im using FGC not unity.

celestian
August 30th, 2020, 07:23

Does the effect show on the PC in the CT?

HeavyDeception
August 30th, 2020, 11:51
Does the effect show on the PC in the CT?

No this was added to his weapon and dose not show on the ct.

Valdemar
August 30th, 2020, 14:15
I need help coding a swords effects. The PC can choose to apply a bonus of +2 to an attack, but the sword will then apply a penalty of -2 on the next attack.

How would you code this?

I do use Kent's onturn and onsave extensions?

Ozsome
August 30th, 2020, 17:52
Thank you very much for this extension. It has been very helpful.
I have had a problem trying to create an ability on a weapon (Mace called Echo) that does d6 thunder damage.
That part I can do on the weapon or as an effect on the person.
What I would like to do is get the weapon to roll again the d6 if it is a 6.
I know the syntax works for /die d6! but I can't get the effect to work in play.
DMG: d6!, thunder

I am using unity and I am not sure that even if the dice roll is legit but just can't be used as part of weapon damage.

Up until now, I just copy/paste the /die d6! in the chat window and then manually edit the damage on the target creature.

Any thoughts?

Zacchaeus
August 30th, 2020, 17:55
There is no effect that you can create which will re-roll any kind of dice number. Unity has an enhanced dice roller but it's all done via dice strings typed into chat. Nothing like that has been incorporated into the rulesets.

Ozsome
August 30th, 2020, 19:43
Thank you very much. I feel better as to why I couldn't make it work.
At least my manual method works for now.

Thanks for the quick reply.

celestian
August 30th, 2020, 20:57
No this was added to his weapon and dose not show on the ct.

If the effect doesn't show up on the PC then it will never trigger. unequip the item and re-equip it.

JonStormbringer
August 31st, 2020, 11:46
Just so I am understanding a possible application of this extension:

I've been looking for a means of adding weapon speed into my 5e game. If I loaded this extension and applied an INIT +X to all of the weapons and NPC (Monsters) would this work? Would it automatically add this to initiative rolls on the CT? I am looking to use the 1e/2e 1 to 10 weapons speed, except I'd have to flip the range so that 1 is slowest and 10 is fastest. Is there an upper limit on initiative in FG?

The effects stay in effect until removed, correct? They don't expire with the session?

Thanks for your time and the work you've put into this and other extensions/mods. I don't think you folks that make these additions understand how much we really appreciate what you do. Thanks again!

JonStormbringer
August 31st, 2020, 20:31
So I loaded the extension and was able to trial run a weapon speed effect. Worked great and was easy to put in. Thanks for making it so user friendly.

Is this only available on a per campaign basis, or can it be loaded in from a mod? I have made my own version of the PHB which consolidates information from the PHB and Xanath's as well as adding races/classes from other sources. If I were to go into my modded PHB with your extension active, put effects in for each weapon to simulate weapon speed and then export that into a mod, would it work where ever I loaded that mod, providing I also load your extension?

However, I'd have to figure out a way to deal with characters that have multiple weapons equipped. Dual wielders would be crazy fast!

Thanks

HuseyinCinar
August 31st, 2020, 23:08
Is it possible in FGC to code exploding die? Or a similar effect.

I homebrew a weapon that rolls 2d4 for damage. If you roll the same dice, you can roll an additional d4. You can keep going as long as the numbers match.

This weapon also cannot crit. I'm also not sure if that can be coded

celestian
September 1st, 2020, 03:44

I homebrew a weapon that rolls 2d4 for damage. If you roll the same dice, you can roll an additional d4. You can keep going as long as the numbers match.

This weapon also cannot crit. I'm also not sure if that can be coded

If you can't do it with an effect you make by hand you can't do it with this extension. If you can, then the answer is probably yes.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 05:37

I believe MoreCore has exploding dice in it. You can pull apart the code to make your own 5E extension that would do it.

Makabriel
September 5th, 2020, 15:36
Looks like your thread for an extension turned into a "How do I make effects" thread lol.

I do have a question/request for the extension though. The 2e version of this hides the effect from the Combat tracker, making it nice and clean, especially for the GM. It would be cool if the "hide" option didn't put the effect on the combat tracker at all. I've got players with a lot of buffs that I don't really need to see, but still need them running. Things like bonuses to skill rolls and AC. Racial immunity modifiers. All of that would be great to have applied, but hidden in the background.

Shireling
September 9th, 2020, 14:04
Is there some setting I have to turn on to get the Advanced Effects on the character sheet to take effect? The effect shows up on the Abilities tab but they don't show up under effects in the CT. Effects on items is working just fine.

*EDIT* - Nevermind... I realized that after you make changes and add effects onto the character sheet, it only applies into the CT once you delete the old character sheet and re-add the updated version to the CT.

Shireling
September 10th, 2020, 21:58
Hold up, if I am adding Advanced Effects on the character sheet under the Abilities tab, can they not use variable-based values like [CHA] but you have to manually put in what that numerical value is?

celestian
September 10th, 2020, 22:39
Hold up, if I am adding Advanced Effects on the character sheet under the Abilities tab, can they not use variable-based values like [CHA] but you have to manually put in what that numerical value is?

Any effect that requires the source to be the target will not work. This is because to make these work, the source of the effect is the origins of the effect. In this case the effect record. As far as I am aware the effect type you mentioned are the only ones that do that.

HuseyinCinar
September 14th, 2020, 15:43
What does Resistance> Poisoned do?

Shireling
September 14th, 2020, 22:53
What does Resistance> Poisoned do?

Poisoned is a condition not a damage type. Resistance > Poison would half the damage a target takes from poison damage.

HuseyinCinar
September 16th, 2020, 10:55
Poisoned is a condition not a damage type. Resistance > Poison would half the damage a target takes from poison damage.

Yeah I was wondering if Resistance>Poisoned would somehow give ADV on saves against Poison, like the Dwarf racial trait.

If "Resistance>Poisoned" gives you "Condition Immunity:poison" like you enter on NPC stat blocks, maybe it could be worded slightly better?

kentmccullough
September 17th, 2020, 15:00
Yeah I was wondering if Resistance>Poisoned would somehow give ADV on saves against Poison, like the Dwarf racial trait.

If "Resistance>Poisoned" gives you "Condition Immunity:poison" like you enter on NPC stat blocks, maybe it could be worded slightly better?

I've written an extension that's on DMsGuild that adds the ability to do an effect like that if you need something that'll do it. It's called Automatic Save Advantage

HuseyinCinar
September 21st, 2020, 18:56
I've written an extension that's on DMsGuild that adds the ability to do an effect like that if you need something that'll do it. It's called Automatic Save Advantage

Currency converting unfortunately stops me from buying all your extensions :(

vaughnlannister
October 1st, 2020, 11:51
Hi Celestial,

I found that when turning on Advanced Effects, it will interfere with showing how many Spell Slots my NPCs have.

When I add Glasstaff (Iarno Albrek.. from Lost Mines of Phandelver) to Combat Tracker.. his available spells slots will be all 0.

Turning your extension off makes them re-appear!

celestian
October 1st, 2020, 15:29
Hi Celestial,

I found that when turning on Advanced Effects, it will interfere with showing how many Spell Slots my NPCs have.

When I add Glasstaff (Iarno Albrek.. from Lost Mines of Phandelver) to Combat Tracker.. his available spells slots will be all 0.

Turning your extension off makes them re-appear!

There must be additional "on drop" to CT code they added at some point for the new spell slots entries. I'll have to poke around and see whats up. Thanks for the report.

vaughnlannister
October 1st, 2020, 15:35
No Problem :)! Thanks you!

celestian
October 3rd, 2020, 01:09
Minor update

Update 4.5: Bugfix: Spell slot values on npcs were lost when dropped into CT.

Slagmoth
October 3rd, 2020, 03:12
I am probably doing something incorrectly or missed a post somewhere.

I was using FGC and this extension worked great.

When I ported over to FGU I see that the effect on my Armor is there for Heavy Armor Mastery but the effect I put on the Ring of Protection doesn't show up for me to edit, although it is still in effect on the item as evidenced by the effect showing in the chat and the CT when I equip and unequip the item.

I have the latest versions of both the extension and FGU.

Thanks

celestian
October 3rd, 2020, 06:08
I am probably doing something incorrectly or missed a post somewhere.

I was using FGC and this extension worked great.

When I ported over to FGU I see that the effect on my Armor is there for Heavy Armor Mastery but the effect I put on the Ring of Protection doesn't show up for me to edit, although it is still in effect on the item as evidenced by the effect showing in the chat and the CT when I equip and unequip the item.

I have the latest versions of both the extension and FGU.

Thanks

Based on your message details..I was unable to reproduce the problem. I added an effect to an item that didnt have one previously and it showed on the item and in the CT when it was equipped.

JohnnyC
October 3rd, 2020, 08:07
Nevermind, not sure if I got that correct.

vaughnlannister
October 3rd, 2020, 17:12
Thanks its working :)!

Slagmoth
October 3rd, 2020, 19:31
Based on your message details..I was unable to reproduce the problem. I added an effect to an item that didnt have one previously and it showed on the item and in the CT when it was equipped.

Ok, so this is what I am looking at and apparently something is not correct.

This one was from the character that was ported over from FGC. And it seems to work.

But when I grab a new one from the DMG and try and add the effect on a new character it doesn't give me a place to put it nor do I see it in the one that works where the character was ported over from FGC.

So I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly.

celestian
October 4th, 2020, 02:56
So I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly.

My guess is an extension. At the very least you're running a theme extension. I would remove all of those and try again.

I would recommend created a completely new campaign, no extensions (including themes) and trying the same process there. When I tried that I saw things as they were expected.

SkyeRiverSong
October 4th, 2020, 07:50
Hello. Just to make sure, how do I apply this?

bwatford
October 4th, 2020, 16:28
@celestian due to some conflicts with other extensions I had to move the load order of this one to 1001 so that it loads after everything else and it seems to have fixed most all conflicts that it has with other extensions.

Slagmoth
October 4th, 2020, 21:29
My guess is an extension. At the very least you're running a theme extension. I would remove all of those and try again.

I would recommend created a completely new campaign, no extensions (including themes) and trying the same process there. When I tried that I saw things as they were expected.

Ok, started entirely new campaign with nothing but this extension loaded.

No joy on the stick.

I have a concern as I noticed that the versioning did not seem to increment from 2.8 even though I just downloaded it again for the 3rd or 4th time from the start of the thread.

celestian
October 4th, 2020, 22:12
Ok, started entirely new campaign with nothing but this extension loaded.

No joy on the stick.

I have a concern as I noticed that the versioning did not seem to increment from 2.8 even though I just downloaded it again for the 3rd or 4th time from the start of the thread.

You're running an old version of the extension then.

https://i.imgur.com/TKaVYZ9.png

You'll have to figure that bit out first ;) I'd suggest looking in your FGU extensions directory.

Slagmoth
October 4th, 2020, 22:37
You're running an old version of the extension then.

https://i.imgur.com/TKaVYZ9.png

You'll have to figure that bit out first ;) I'd suggest looking in your FGU extensions directory.

So the link at the beginning of this thread is not the most recent version?

jrowsey1
October 4th, 2020, 22:44
Likely you have two copies of the extension in your directory and FG pulls the oldest copy. Check your extensions directory for a duplicate copy of this extension.

Slagmoth
October 4th, 2020, 22:44
Ok, so I keep forgetting that having an unpacked zip screws everything up. It is just not something I am used to as a developer it would have been something I would have coded differently, as in looking for specific file types and only loading those or looking for the latest version and not the oldest version which seems to be standard in every shop I have worked in. But every shop is different so meh.

I just have to remember to clear those as well.

Dax Doomslayer
October 4th, 2020, 22:53
I can confirm it is the most recent. If you have 2 copies of the version in your folder, FG will take the oldest version and use that. I would check to see if you have multiple copies of this and delete all but the most recent. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas....

Slagmoth
October 6th, 2020, 04:39
Ok, I am back in FGC for the moment because not all of my players have FGU yet... we are trying to set up some characters and I am trying to set up Improved Divine Smite for a Paladin.

[Improved Divine Smite;DMG:1d8 radiant,melee]
I know that the extension puts the brackets there for me so I didn't add a double set.

This doesn't seem to work in the Advanced Effects... or again I am doing something incorrectly.

Or I could remember that the character has to be in the Combat Tracker for the effect to take place. :(

gregm
November 4th, 2020, 18:32
So the link at the beginning of this thread is not the most recent version?

is there some way of linking to the latest version to download???

celestian
November 4th, 2020, 18:43
Ok, I am back in FGC for the moment because not all of my players have FGU yet... we are trying to set up some characters and I am trying to set up Improved Divine Smite for a Paladin.

[Improved Divine Smite;DMG:1d8 radiant,melee]
I know that the extension puts the brackets there for me so I didn't add a double set.

This doesn't seem to work in the Advanced Effects... or again I am doing something incorrectly.

Or I could remember that the character has to be in the Combat Tracker for the effect to take place. :(

I am guessing the latter was the problem? If you change those values you'll need to remove/re-add them to the CT as well. Gear items only need to be equipped.

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2020, 21:47
is there some way of linking to the latest version to download???

The link to the latest version is at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

eriktedesco
November 7th, 2020, 13:07
Hi all, I'm trying to learn how to use this magnificent extension.

Just to have fun, I'm creating a longsword of Undead Slaying. In the longsword description I added, as an effect, the following string [DMG:1d8 radiant, type(undead), magic].

However, when I hit a zombie (clearly an undead), the +1d8 radiant damage is not triggered.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

vaughnlannister
November 7th, 2020, 13:25
@eriktedesco I think for damage to trigger against types, you can only do that using this extension : Advanced Weapon Damage
Though it isn't free.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59741-extension-Advanced-Weapon-Damage-Extension

eriktedesco
November 7th, 2020, 13:51
Ah ok, thanks a lot!

I want to mention that advanced effects interferes with both Weapon Handling and Advanced Weapon Damage.

Versatile weapons are not recognized as such, so no switch in damage between one- and two-handed situation.

Problem solved by pushing Advanced weapon Damage loadorder over Advanced Effect. Now everything seems to working properly. Cheers!

celestian
November 7th, 2020, 20:13
Hi all, I'm trying to learn how to use this magnificent extension.

Just to have fun, I'm creating a longsword of Undead Slaying. In the longsword description I added, as an effect, the following string [DMG:1d8 radiant, type(undead), magic].

However, when I hit a zombie (clearly an undead), the +1d8 radiant damage is not triggered.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

There is no reason that you should not be able to do that but the entry you have there will never work in any situation.

Here is a giant slayer sword.

IFT:TYPE(giant);DMG:1d6 fire

https://i.imgur.com/SlXz5WG.png

eriktedesco
November 7th, 2020, 20:25
Ok, I was totally missing the IFT.

Thanks a lot. I'll try that out.

I'm sorry but I'm really bad with this coding stuff. I though that, once selected the target, the check would be automatic.

Still a lot to learn..step-by-step

Update: performed some testing and everything is working fine. I must say I really like this extension.
Just need to learn how to code properly.

vaughnlannister
November 8th, 2020, 11:13
My bad, I'm still a newbie.

Benny
November 8th, 2020, 17:16
Celestian - Wonderful Mod! I echo the sentiment it should be built FGU.
I've read through some (but not all!) of this thread to see if my question has been asked but didn't see it yet, so sorry if this is redundant...

I'd love to be able to add/subtract effects from the NPC character sheet as needed - but this extension doesn't do that...is that correct? For example, with a Barbarian NPC - Reckless Attack and Rage, etc, need to be added/subtracted throughout combat.

From what I understand it will only add/apply the effects built into the character sheet when they are placed into the combat tracker. And those effects can't be subtracted/removed until the built in duration counts down.

Benny
November 8th, 2020, 18:51
Well I dug just a bit deeper and answered my own question...for the most part.

I can manage the effects from the NPC effects tab on the combat tracker. For anyone wondering what I mean - click the boot with wings on the NPC in the combat tracker to edit effects. On the L-hand side of each effect you can edit off/on/skip, their player/gm visibility and when they are applied - always/on roll etc.

It doesn't look like you would want the effect to expire since you can't reapply it easily, via the mod at least. And you would want all the effects on the NPC when you put them into the tracker so you can turn them on/off as needed, even if the mob doesn't have the effect 'on' at the start of combat.

celestian
November 8th, 2020, 19:46
Celestian - Wonderful Mod! I echo the sentiment it should be built FGU.
I've read through some (but not all!) of this thread to see if my question has been asked but didn't see it yet, so sorry if this is redundant...

I'd love to be able to add/subtract effects from the NPC character sheet as needed - but this extension doesn't do that...is that correct? For example, with a Barbarian NPC - Reckless Attack and Rage, etc, need to be added/subtracted throughout combat.

From what I understand it will only add/apply the effects built into the character sheet when they are placed into the combat tracker. And those effects can't be subtracted/removed until the built in duration counts down.

This extension works in FGU, so not sure what the first question is related too.

Effects that you add/remove on the fly should be managed as powers, particularly if they have durations. Persistent features such as racials, weapon effects and abilities that do not expire... those are the use case I came up with the extension.

eporrini
November 12th, 2020, 21:08
I use this in FGU and it does not seem to work with multiple effects on items. It only wants to show the first effect listed as active. The effects work fine on the character abilities area.

celestian
November 12th, 2020, 21:35
I use this in FGU and it does not seem to work with multiple effects on items. It only wants to show the first effect listed as active. The effects work fine on the character abilities area.

Seems to work for me.

https://i.imgur.com/GTR3Q1X.png

Lino
November 26th, 2020, 12:39
Sorry, but it doesn't work for NPCs to me.
It works on PCs and items. When I add an advanced features on a NPC sheet, the feature isn't added on the combat tracker, even if I put the NPC in CT after changing the feature in the NPC's sheet.

SmackDaddy
November 26th, 2020, 18:11
Ah ok, thanks a lot!

I want to mention that advanced effects interferes with both Weapon Handling and Advanced Weapon Damage.

Versatile weapons are not recognized as such, so no switch in damage between one- and two-handed situation.

Problem solved by pushing Advanced weapon Damage loadorder over Advanced Effect. Now everything seems to working properly. Cheers!

Can you share the steps one must do to do this? here or PM is fine....and thank you in advance!

SmackDaddy
November 26th, 2020, 18:14
Seems to work for me[/IMG]

Is there a video or good page you could suggest that would teach someone about doing effect editing for a DM? I would simply like to learn how to do some of these edits people speak of and don't even know where to start? (RTFM I am assuming but where exactly?) Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer.

Lino
November 27th, 2020, 08:26
Sorry, but it doesn't work for NPCs to me.
It works on PCs and items. When I add an advanced features on a NPC sheet, the feature isn't added on the combat tracker, even if I put the NPC in CT after changing the feature in the NPC's sheet.

Sorry to bother you, but to me in FGU the extention doesn’t do this just for NPCs:

when I drag/drop the NPC into the combat tracker effects aren’t added automatically.

Korav
November 27th, 2020, 12:52
Lino, I am on FGU and can confirm that it works without issue with NPCs. Have you tried different NPCs? Are you trying to use NPCs from pre-made materials that are locked from editing like the Monster Manual? If you close and reopen the NPC sheet are the advanced effects still there?

Lino
November 27th, 2020, 13:30
Found the solution: it was because of the 5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death-(Extended-Version). After uninstalling and reinstalling it all is fine.
Thanks for all.

eriktedesco
November 29th, 2020, 16:55
Hi all, I'm trying to add Favored Enemy to my ranger as an advanced effect, but it doesn't trigger.

Here the code: Ranger; Favored Enemy; IFT: TYPE(beast); ADVSKILL: survival; [ACTION]; [SELF]

Is something off?

Lou Ciphor
November 29th, 2020, 18:51
Hi all, I'm trying to add Favored Enemy to my ranger as an advanced effect, but it doesn't trigger.

Here the code: Ranger; Favored Enemy; IFT: TYPE(beast); ADVSKILL: survival; [ACTION]; [SELF]

Is something off?

Do you have a beast targeted in the combat tracker when you make your survival check?

eriktedesco
November 29th, 2020, 18:53
Yep. I have tried with a beast (dire wolf) and an undead (zombie).

It is not triggering with both.

celestian
November 29th, 2020, 20:24
Yep. I have tried with a beast (dire wolf) and an undead (zombie).

It is not triggering with both.

Try adding something that gives it an extra dice of damage or something to verify that works. I am not familiar with ADVSKILL so can't say whether they work or not. I'm also not sure what [ACTION] and [SELF] are doing in the effect? Perhaps it's a 5e thing?

Change this:
IFT: TYPE(beast); ADVSKILL: survival;

to this:
IFT: TYPE(beast); DMG: 1d6

And see if it works.

eriktedesco
November 29th, 2020, 20:27
I'll try that!!!

ADVSKILL gives advantage on skill check

ACTION: The effect last one action

SELF: Apply on self, not target

celestian
November 29th, 2020, 20:33
I'll try that!!!

ADVSKILL gives advantage on skill check

ACTION: The effect last one action

SELF: Apply on self, not target

I didn't realize that the effects system actually parsed out those flags.

eriktedesco
November 29th, 2020, 20:39
In Rob2e spell coding, Favorite Enemy is coded pretty much like that.

Except for the IFT: TYPE(beast) part.

But that should be accepted by FGU effect parsing.

ADVSKILL could come from an extension, but I have it!

eriktedesco
November 29th, 2020, 21:00
Problem solved...ADVSKILL do not work with targeting...so, no IFT: TYPE().

Cannot be automated like this...

celestian
November 29th, 2020, 21:57
In Rob2e spell coding, Favorite Enemy is coded pretty much like that.

Except for the IFT: TYPE(beast) part.

But that should be accepted by FGU effect parsing.

ADVSKILL could come from an extension, but I have it!

I was mostly referring to [ACTION] and [SELF]. I've never seen them like that. In the displays for effects it lists them like that on powers if you set those values but far as I've seen it didn't place them in the effect... but, keep in mind I dont play 5e all that often so it might actually work that way.

One thing AE does is set the source to a record that is not the "player" so in cases like ability mods and the like it won't work as the object source is not a "player" record. There are various discussions previously in this thread if you're interested in more about it... BUT this might be why it's not working for ADVSKILL requires something similar.

The source issue has been a problem that I've got an idea how to fix but not resolved yet.

Smithicus
December 2nd, 2020, 03:37
Working with 5E Ruleset

Added the extension to the extensions folder.

Opened Options, scrolled down to [House Rules (GM)], and [Enabled] the [PC: Adv. Effect Edit].

Added a Dragon Slayer sword to the PC inventory, opened the sword details sheet, and added the dragons slaying effect code for the Dragon Slayer and toggled the ActionOnly radial dial: IFT: TYPE(dragon); DMG: 3d6

Added the PC to the Combat tracker. Note: I had to remove the add the PC back for the effect to show in the combat tracker.

Added a nasty dragon to the Combat Tracker.

Rolled damage - [DAMAGE (M)] Longsword Dragon Slayer [EFFECTS 3d6] [TYPE: magic (1d8+3d6+1=14)]

Advanced effect in use.

Nice script!

Smithicus
December 2nd, 2020, 04:29
I am trying to add the effect to the Combat Tracker for dragon sensing provided by dragon armor. For example, the dragon scale armor made from a black dragon allows the PC to sense any black dragon within 30 miles.

I am wanting to just add the effect to the armor like [Dragon Sense; aware of black dragons within 30 miles], but it does not show in the tracker.

Thus far, I have been unsuccessful. Does this tool provide for Effects of Note?

celestian
December 2nd, 2020, 08:27
I am trying to add the effect to the Combat Tracker for dragon sensing provided by dragon armor. For example, the dragon scale armor made from a black dragon allows the PC to sense any black dragon within 30 miles.

I am wanting to just add the effect to the armor like [Dragon Sense; aware of black dragons within 30 miles], but it does not show in the tracker.

Thus far, I have been unsuccessful. Does this tool provide for Effects of Note?

That should work, have you tried unequipping and re-equiping?

Smithicus
December 2nd, 2020, 13:19
Remove and re-add solved the issue of effects changes to existing advanced effects items, even if the code is non-actionable.

EDIT: Also - equipping and unequipping resolves the issue (as you so plainly suggested) :).

Turn it off and on again, as it were. :)

I had noticed the updates appeared to dynamically cascade to the Combat Tracker as I made them on the weapon, which cluttered my judgement that it would work with a simple edit.

It's 7 AM and all is well!

Thanks Celestian!

celestian
December 2nd, 2020, 16:03
Remove and re-add solved the issue of effects changes to existing advanced effects items, even if the code is non-actionable.

EDIT: Also - equipping and unequipping resolves the issue (as you so plainly suggested) :).

Turn it off and on again, as it were. :)

I had noticed the updates appeared to dynamically cascade to the Combat Tracker as I made them on the weapon, which cluttered my judgement that it would work with a simple edit.

It's 7 AM and all is well!

Thanks Celestian!

In theory it should auto-update in the CT but only if the effect existed before equipping.

Dudin
December 9th, 2020, 00:44
Based on my testing with turning on and off extensions, I believe the 5e advanced effects doesn't play nice with the latest patch of unity. The newest patch from today (12/08) added native support for versatile weapons. If I load with advanced effects, it doesn't work properly. If I load without it, the damage dice of weapons properly switches when you switch how you are wielding the weapon (one or two handed).

celestian
December 9th, 2020, 00:58
Based on my testing with turning on and off extensions, I believe the 5e advanced effects doesn't play nice with the latest patch of unity. The newest patch from today (12/08) added native support for versatile weapons. If I load with advanced effects, it doesn't work properly. If I load without it, the damage dice of weapons properly switches when you switch how you are wielding the weapon (one or two handed).

I do not know what "versatile" weapons means in this context or how to configure one. Also not clear what wasn't working and what was?

My testing locally seems to show things still work at least superficially.

Dudin
December 9th, 2020, 01:07
Versatile weapons are ones that can have a different damage dice based on if you are using it with one or two hands. A warhammer does either a D8 or D10 damage if it is used with one or two hands, respectively. Before the update, you had to create and maintain two different attack actions for the versatile weapon; one for each damage dice. Now FGU has native support for any weapon with the versatile property such that if you switch between the one or two handed options, it switches the damage dice automatically. If I have advanced effects loaded, if I switch between what hand(s) are holding the weapon the damage dice doesn't change. If I don't load it, then the damage dice will automatically change when I swap between how the weapon is held. I would load images to help describe what I am saying, but I don't know how on these forums :(. It is a small quality of life issue. It is not like it breaks FGU or your extension. I just wanted to point it out.

delgondahntelius
December 9th, 2020, 05:49
JUst talked with Rob, he said they had trouble with Advanced Effects too... It is interfering in the latest update where they added Weapon Versatility ... for whatever reason AE is interfering with versatile and light weapons, it can't recognize either and so the weapon handling will not switch to versatile damage on weapons or take off bonus str/dex modifier on off hand weapons ...

Just thought you should know.

celestian
December 9th, 2020, 07:02
JUst talked with Rob, he said they had trouble with Advanced Effects too... It is interfering in the latest update where they added Weapon Versatility ... for whatever reason AE is interfering with versatile and light weapons, it can't recognize either and so the weapon handling will not switch to versatile damage on weapons or take off bonus str/dex modifier on off hand weapons ...

Just thought you should know.

Aye, 2 mentions. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and post my findings.

celestian
December 9th, 2020, 17:18
I think this fixes the issue with the new versatile weapons in 5e. If someone more familiar with 5e could confirm (see attached) I'd be grateful.

This is version 4.7. If it passes I'll remove from this post and update the first post download link.

(removed download link and moved to release post)

Dudin
December 9th, 2020, 17:38
Awesome! I will give it a shot tonight once I am done with work.

Moon Wizard
December 9th, 2020, 18:43
@celestian,

Just pushed a couple updates for next week into the Test channel that affect ActorManager2 and CharWeaponManager global scripts. Not sure if they'll affect your extension.

Regards,
JPG

mattekure
December 9th, 2020, 18:51
I think this fixes the issue with the new versatile weapons in 5e. If someone more familiar with 5e could confirm (see attached) I'd be grateful.

This is version 4.7. If it passes I'll remove from this post and update the first post download link.

This version seems to work fine in all my tests. I tried every combination of offhand, primary hand, two handed, and twohanded fighting style.

Dudin
December 9th, 2020, 20:12
It is working now for me too.

celestian
December 9th, 2020, 20:15
Update 4.7: Fix: Various tweaks for 5E 3.3.12 changes (versatile weapons)

(see first post)

delgondahntelius
December 9th, 2020, 20:20

Worked for me as well, tried them all with two weapon style and without, and in combat as well. I think you are good to go!

Badger1017

delgondahntelius
December 9th, 2020, 20:22

Worked for me as well, tried them all with two weapon style and without, and in combat as well. I think you are good to go!

Badger1017

[Not sure why this posted twice, but a mod can delete this one at their leisure, ty]

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 21:25
Update 4.8: Added support to coexist with extension "Situational Awareness (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64386-5E-Extension-Situational-Awareness-(pre-load-encounter-tokens-on-maps)&p=564124&viewfull=1#post564124)"

eriktedesco
December 11th, 2020, 21:29
Situational awareness???

Arghun
December 22nd, 2020, 13:46
Hello @Celestian, I'm not sure whether you still maintain this extension but it seems like it breaks the 5E 'Finesse' property of the weapons. Finesse allows you to either use STR or DEX for attack and dmg rolls. FG uses the best of both stats but when enabling your extension this no longer works (STR is always used).

/Arghun

MrDDT
December 22nd, 2020, 15:20
Hello @Celestian, I'm not sure whether you still maintain this extension but it seems like it breaks the 5E 'Finesse' property of the weapons. Finesse allows you to either use STR or DEX for attack and dmg rolls. FG uses the best of both stats but when enabling your extension this no longer works (STR is always used).

/Arghun

I'm not seeing this issue.

Arghun
December 22nd, 2020, 15:23
I'm going to check the extension version I have and double check whether I have other extensions loaded in my campaign.

Thanks for letting me know!

MrDDT
December 22nd, 2020, 15:44
@Celestian,

I did notice while testing for Arghun's issue that with "PC: Adv. Effect Edit" off, players are still able to add/see and edit Advanced Effects on their player sheet on the abilities tab, however, it does turn off the see able effects on items, and the ability to edit or add effects on items.

Is this meant to be this way?

mattekure
December 22nd, 2020, 15:51

/Arghun

I am not seeing this either. Double check on the weapon property and ensure that the stat is set to Base for both attack and damage. there was a bug in previous versions of FG that auto-selected a stat when a weapon was added but it should be set to base since FG now auto calculates finesse.

https://imgur.com/eCEzCdt.jpg

Arghun
December 22nd, 2020, 16:40
I believe I was running an old version. I downloaded the latest from Github and it's all good now!

Sorry for the noise created.

celestian
December 22nd, 2020, 19:40
@Celestian,

I did notice while testing for Arghun's issue that with "PC: Adv. Effect Edit" off, players are still able to add/see and edit Advanced Effects on their player sheet on the abilities tab, however, it does turn off the see able effects on items, and the ability to edit or add effects on items.

Is this meant to be this way?

I've not looked at that in a good while. It's suppose to not allow them to edit it but see it. I'll review after the holidays and see. It's not something I think a lot of people use so doesn't get much use.

MrDDT
December 22nd, 2020, 19:52
I've not looked at that in a good while. It's suppose to not allow them to edit it but see it. I'll review after the holidays and see. It's not something I think a lot of people use so doesn't get much use.

I would like them to not see it or edit it with that off. This allows me as a DM to do cursed effects or hidden effects on an item that players wouldn't know about.

celestian
December 22nd, 2020, 21:09
I would like them to not see it or edit it with that off. This allows me as a DM to do cursed effects or hidden effects on an item that players wouldn't know about.

I just checked and its working.

If disabled they cannot see the effects/edit. If enabled they can see/edit. If the setting is toggled while they have it opened it wont change till they reopen.

MrDDT
December 22nd, 2020, 21:17
I just checked and its working.

If disabled they cannot see the effects/edit. If enabled they can see/edit. If the setting is toggled while they have it opened it wont change till they reopen.

Clean load, no exts other than Adv Effects. This is the players view, it was set to disabled BEFORE they loaded in.

celestian
December 23rd, 2020, 02:49
Clean load, no exts other than Adv Effects. This is the players view, it was set to disabled BEFORE they loaded in.

Oh, yeah, this toggle only works for items. Not abilities. Those are supposed to be editable by the player all the time.

emoska
December 23rd, 2020, 02:59
Just discovered this amazing ext! Thanks for your hard work, Celestian!

I've been having a really hard time getting it to work though, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

So far, I've turned on the extension during the campaign setup screen. And I've had a try at coding a weapon - but the effect doesn't appear to be applying. Here is a still of the code and what is being generated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

MrDDT
December 23rd, 2020, 03:11
Just discovered this amazing ext! Thanks for your hard work, Celestian!

I've been having a really hard time getting it to work though, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

So far, I've turned on the extension during the campaign setup screen. And I've had a try at coding a weapon - but the effect doesn't appear to be applying. Here is a still of the code and what is being generated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Uneqip the item and reequip it will take effect. That effect is likely not a good place to put it on the item itself if it is action only. As it will need to be reequiped over and over again for it to take effect.

emoska
December 23rd, 2020, 03:59
Uneqip the item and reequip it will take effect. That effect is likely not a good place to put it on the item itself if it is action only. As it will need to be reequiped over and over again for it to take effect.

Amazing! Thanks for the help - worked right away! I'll remove Action Only too.

celestian
December 23rd, 2020, 04:22

Perhaps I am missing something....

Not sure what you mean, that's specifically the reason I wrote AE. He should only need to re-quip the item if the effect never existed before and if they keep the item equipped the effect should always show in the CT.

It also should work only when attacks are made with that weapon.

Amazing! Thanks for the help - worked right away! I'll remove Action Only too.

See my above comment. I do this type of thing all the time (a weapon that does X to specific creature type). Check out the previous comments with working examples.

emoska
December 23rd, 2020, 05:53
Thanks for the clarification, Celestian. I can confirm that after unequipping the item once, coding the effect, and the re-equipping it - action-only works fine each time.

Can I also ask, how can saving throw advantage against breath weapons be coded? (I don't know the command for breath weapons). But in, essence, would it be something like:

IFT: TYPE(breath weapon); ADVSAV

MrDDT
December 23rd, 2020, 06:02
Perhaps I am missing something....

Not sure what you mean, that's specifically the reason I wrote AE. He should only need to re-quip the item if the effect never existed before and if they keep the item equipped the effect should always show in the CT.

It also should work only when attacks are made with that weapon.

See my above comment. I do this type of thing all the time (a weapon that does X to specific creature type). Check out the previous comments with working examples.

My bad, you are correct, and it works great for this. I miss read it as "On Next Action"

Action Only works really well and that's a great use for it in items. Love that part of it.

bayne7400
December 25th, 2020, 15:49
This is brilliant! Works like a champ.

soonerhef
December 28th, 2020, 18:02
Love Celestian extensions!

emoska
December 28th, 2020, 20:19
They’re great!

Does anyone how can saving throw advantage against breath weapons be coded?

MrDDT
December 28th, 2020, 23:53
They’re great!

Only breath weapons?

emoska
December 29th, 2020, 00:42
Only breath weapons?

Yes, please!

MrDDT
December 29th, 2020, 01:16
Yes, please!

You would have to make another ext that classifies "breath weapons" as a type of special attack type. Then give those attacks a special tag.

celestian
December 29th, 2020, 05:09
They’re great!

Other than the standard save bonuses (I don't play 5e and wasnt aware they had breath weapon type saves) such as dex/etc. The 2E ruleset you can use "BREATH:3" to give you a +3 to saves versus breath saves but... AD&D saves are not the same as 5e.

Lou Ciphor
December 29th, 2020, 05:36
There is a Custom Damage Types extension for 5E that you could use to create "Breath" as a damage type. But RAW, "Breath" does not exist. You would have to code each damage TYPE (fire, cold, poison, etc.) individually.

Minty23185Fresh
January 8th, 2021, 23:19
Content deleted by me, Minty23185Fresh.

(I did not have the latest version.)

Chuckhdtv
January 17th, 2021, 02:57
Perhaps I missed something. Is there a way to hide the effect in the chat window? I mean the numbers. If that sword is +1 to ATK and DMG, is there a way the effect applies but doesn't show? The players will always figure it out when they do the math and see that there's a bonus added to their strenght and proficiency. I must admit I haven't red the 49 pages of the thread...

Chuckhdtv
January 17th, 2021, 05:00
It works if you have the aura extension installed. You simply code the aura in the PC

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2021, 10:25
Perhaps I missed something. Is there a way to hide the effect in the chat window? I mean the numbers. If that sword is +1 to ATK and DMG, is there a way the effect applies but doesn't show? The players will always figure it out when they do the math and see that there's a bonus added to their strenght and proficiency. I must admit I haven't red the 49 pages of the thread...

Try switching off show results to clients in options.

Chuckhdtv
January 17th, 2021, 18:19
Try switching off show results to clients in options.

No, it doesn’t do what I’d want it to do. But I think my DM is already talking to Celestian about it.

Here’s an example, attacker has STR 10(0) and a Prof +3. Defender has an AC of 19 and I rolled a manual 16 each time

Here’s the normal roll

Here’s the roll with a ring(STR: -4) where we see the [effect -2]in the chat window because the attacker has now STR 6(-2)

Here’s what it should look like if the Item is non-ID.

The player has no reasons to know why the attack doesn’t hit to him, the roll is perfectly normal with his Prof +3 applied. Maybe the defender simply has an AC over 19... For Damages, the chat window should look normal but the damages applied to the defender should take that -2 into account.

I now know it can’t be done at the moment but that what I wanted to do.

celestian
January 17th, 2021, 21:20

The best you can do is set the visibility on the effect to "hide". It will not show the effect on the person to them (only DM). However, the [EFFECTS +X] will probably still show in rolling.... tho im not intimate with the 5e rolling settings.

Chuckhdtv
January 17th, 2021, 21:33
The best you can do is set the visibility on the effect to "hide". It will not show the effect on the person to them (only DM). However, the [EFFECTS +X] will probably still show in rolling.... tho im not intimate with the 5e rolling settings.

Yes, it will show. It’s only to keep a real secret when an item is not ID. I’d call it a feature request, far from a complain! That extension is awesome! It should be included in the base software.

Strongtree
January 28th, 2021, 19:17
Awesome, piece of an art.

MasterZamna
February 17th, 2021, 00:01
It's a great extension, really, but it seems that in today's update to Unity it no longer works, for 5e at least.
When a PC's sheet opens the Actions tab, a log error appears and weapons have no damage expressions (opening the editor shows the dice and bonuses but again shows a log of error). I allready tried different combinations of extensions (assuming it might be that) but even when I open a Campaign with just this ext the problem persist, but when opening a Campaign with every other ext I normally, use except for this, no error log.
Hope something can be done, would really miss this one from my games :cry:

celestian
February 17th, 2021, 00:17
It's a great extension, really, but it seems that in today's update to Unity it no longer works, for 5e at least.
When a PC's sheet opens the Actions tab, a log error appears and weapons have no damage expressions (opening the editor shows the dice and bonuses but again shows a log of error). I allready tried different combinations of extensions (assuming it might be that) but even when I open a Campaign with just this ext the problem persist, but when opening a Campaign with every other ext I normally, use except for this, no error log.
Hope something can be done, would really miss this one from my games :cry:
I am without power in Texas but will check it out once things are back to normal. It might be end of week before I can.

BaneTBC
February 17th, 2021, 00:23
Stay safe and stay warm, @celestian.