PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Books and Themes

Falantrius
October 27th, 2017, 21:41
I've bought all the books for Pathfinder from Paizo long ago - I've also been a Fantasy ground using for a long time now. I primarily use Pathfinder for everything.
This year the official pathfinder books were released for Fantasy Grounds and even though I had Rise of the Runelords - I went and bought that again because of all the great work done there.

However, while I am linked to Paizo's site and synced - I want:
a) I want to download into fantasy grounds all the new official content for use - I really don't want to buy all the books a second time - that can be very expensive. Since I have bought them from Paizo - and synced - why wont it just push them to my Fantasy Grounds OR let me purchase them for a reduced price?

b) I've bought several things for the new pathfinder rules but still havent got the Pathfinder Theme - is it only available with the Core Rules Pack OR is there somewhere else I can get it? I looked on Paizo but didnt see it anywhere for download.?

Bidmaron
October 27th, 2017, 23:46
Falantrius, you are getting a discount because you get the PDF for free (or a discount if you already have the PDF).

Falantrius
October 28th, 2017, 00:41
Falantrius, you are getting a discount because you get the PDF for free (or a discount if you already have the PDF).

I have the opposite issue. I've been with Pathfinder since it came out - I bought all the books from Paizo and have the PDFs already from Paizo.
I had the pathfinder "files" for use with Fantasy Grounds since last year - this year the official files came out and I'd like to get the Pathfinder THEME and associated books that I already have for Fantasy Grounds - I already paid full price for all the books at Paizo - so when I go to get them from the Fantasy Grounds store - I see:
Core Rule Book $50
Advanced Players Guide $45
Ultimate Magic $45
Bestiary $40
Somehow I already have Bestiary 2, 3 and 4 in PFRPG Essentials - not sure where I installed them from.

Are they really expecting me to pay $200 for books I already have? Why can't I just get them at a discounted price since I own them - its basically converting it all to Fantasy Grounds?

I went ahead and got the Advanced Players Guide just to check it out -
a) Races and Reference Manual sections were completely blank - Kind of expected each race with a list of Alternate Racial Traits and Class Options - This is the miss for me - as I was hoping to drag and drop some racial traits into character sheets that I already did manually but they weren't here.
b) Class Features didnt have anything I could drag and drop to a character - like what I have in the Black Mage Classes and Features - I really need the ability to drag and drop from the Class to the character like Black Mage provides already. When I compare the PFRPG Advanced Rules with the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide - the PFRPG file is are better.
c) The bestiary doesnt have the monsters at the top level - usually I can go to the Library - type the monster I am looking for - in search and click between Bestiary 1, 2,3,4 to see the monster - with it down a level this doesn't work for the Bestiary so I still have to keep my original Bestiary loaded for searching.

Goods:
1) All the lists were solid and included an index for searching - spell, armor, magic, spells and weapons.
2) Lots of pretty pictures and all the pictures were linked in the OTHER Tab

So I guess what I am saying is that I paid for the Bestiary and Advanced Players Guide - I didnt get the Pathfinder THEME and I already had everything that was provided in these plus some areas were not drag and drop - I was hoping to replace my Black Mage files and other complete spell lists and things with the official books - but when I paid - I actually got LESS that what I had before. The bestiary was better (except for searching) than what I had so I can use that but I unloaded the Advanced Players guide until I can get the class features with links to abilities OR create them myself and get the section for races.

So I am feeling a bit ripped off on these purchases as I was hoping for so much more.

damned
October 28th, 2017, 00:56
Hi Falantrius I cant really reply in detail on the quality or not of the ruleset.
Right now some are comparing it to 5e and finding it could be improved - however 5e itself is very different and more complete than when it was first released so Im sure it too will improve over time.
As per the store entry: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=PZOSMWPZO1110FG you get a discount on the FG product for PDFs purchased but not for Physical Books. There are probably lots of reasons for this - the main one being an actual ability to track PDF sales whereas they cannot with the books.
As per the description the Theme is included in the Core Pack - it is a Theme so you have to select it in your campaign options.

Falantrius
October 28th, 2017, 01:14
Is there a way to get the Pathfinder Theme without buying the Pathfinder Core Rules ?

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2017, 01:22
No, the Pathfinder theme is only available with the Pathfinder Core Rules, since it uses artwork from that book.

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
October 28th, 2017, 02:44
Falantrius, why wouldn't you want the core rules?

I am like you, in that I am a Paizo superscribed and been there since the beginning of Paizo after the dissolution of DRAGON magazine.

If you have the PDFs, you get a discount, so I'm not sure why you think you aren't?

ddavison
October 28th, 2017, 03:26
I'm not sure you are seeing the actual Advanced Player's Guide content.

1) There is a link to Classes with all the classes and prestige classes with the auto-leveling feature that adds the abilities and class features for you as you level up in that class. You can also drag and drop the class feature form the Classes window if you want (but you won't need to). Just drag the class to your character sheet and it will add a new level in that class to your character
2) Racial traits and many other drag and drop abilities can be found under the Special Abilities link when you have the APG selected
3) The Reference Manual isn't a blank window. The default state is to be collapsed. Click on the grey label to expand the section or use the + button at the bottom of the window to expand it.

For the bestiary, you can use the links to Monsters -Alphabetical Index,Challenge Rating Index or Class Index for each book separately, but the best thing to do is load up all the bestiary's you want to access and then just click on the NPCs sidebar button. You can search from there across all your bestiary modules. You can also break it out by letter, CR or type.

If your sync is set up right and you were able to retrieve your purchase info from Paizo, then any time you add the FG version into your cart, you should see a discount added to your cart equivalent to the PDF price.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/PZOSMWPZO1115FG/PFAPG2.jpg

Falantrius
October 31st, 2017, 03:14
I am not getting a discount here at the Fantasy Grounds store for the below items - I already have the Paizo books and PDFs - but I dont have the new official books for pathfinder.
And I have to buy the core rules to get the THEME - I should have to pay $180 dollars to get the books I already have bought and I definately shouldnt have to buy the Core Rule Book just to get the Pathfinder THEME. These books are not as good as the previous material available for pathfinder so for the $180 I am not getting alot of superior content than before -
I should be able to get the theme with any purchase I make so that what I purchase looks like what is shown in the store. Its not. And if I have already bought the books from Paizo - I should be able to get them here at a discount. I'm not. Thats where I am disappointed.

Core Rule Book $50
Ultimate Magic $45
Bestiary $40

damned
October 31st, 2017, 03:37
I am not getting a discount here at the Fantasy Grounds store for the below items - I already have the Paizo books and PDFs - but I dont have the new official books for pathfinder.
And I have to buy the core rules to get the THEME - I should have to pay $180 dollars to get the books I already have bought and I definately shouldnt have to buy the Core Rule Book just to get the Pathfinder THEME. These books are not as good as the previous material available for pathfinder so for the $180 I am not getting alot of superior content than before -
I should be able to get the theme with any purchase I make so that what I purchase looks like what is shown in the store. Its not. And if I have already bought the books from Paizo - I should be able to get them here at a discount. I'm not. Thats where I am disappointed.

Core Rule Book $50
Ultimate Magic $45
Bestiary $40

If you have the PDFs as you suggest at the start of your post then you can get the discount by linking to your Paizo account.
If you have the physical books and not the PDFs then there is no discount on offer.
There may be a couple of specific areas where the SRD content is superior but in all other areas the new licensed content is far superior.

ddavison
October 31st, 2017, 03:40
Hello Falantrius,

It probably makes sense to move this to support email so we can discuss account specifics.

Good news:
Your account shows that you have successfully synced your Paizo account on 10/26/2017 at 8:43 PM EST.

Bad News:
You completed your order for the Bestiary 1, APG and UM just a few minutes before. If you already owned those products on Paizo, then our store was unaware of that at the time of your purchase and you did not get a discount as a result.

Good news again:
I'll need to work with you via [email protected] to have Paizo confirm that those 3 were already on your account prior to purchase, but once they confirm that, I can issue a refund for $30 for those three books on the previous order. If you pick up the Core Rules module on Fantasy Grounds, you should get another $10 discount applied at checkout since your account shows that you already own the PDF for it. I have sent an email to them to get this process going and I have everything I need to get you a refund.

The theme is only available within the Pathfinder Core Rules module. Several of the other products also add some tokens images, portraits and/or Decal extensions to help enhance those products. None of these are required for play and you are free to work and play directly from PDF if you want. We can get you the proper discount to reduce the cost equivalent to the PDF prices but it is ultimately up to you whether or not each add-on is worth the additional purchase.