PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarters & Fantasy Grounds

epithet
October 27th, 2017, 19:59
So, I just saw the following unfortunate update to a Kickstarter campaign which had been promising a Fantasy Grounds version of the product.

Fantasy Grounds and Limitless Adventures road map

We were contacted today by Fantasy Grounds about our extended content, and ran into a snag similar to what happened with Roll20. While it's very easy to create third party Fantasy Grounds modules files, their system also requires a more extensive store integration than we initially assumed - not allowing us to distribute the content as part of the limitless package (Print Friendly + PDF + FG) like we planned.

We were told that we can not give away our content in their format. "...unfortunately giving away the FG version for free is not an option."

To add to the confusion, creating a product in FG format, and uploading to DM's Guild, is simple and easy, which makes it seem like creating/uploading the FG files can be done without their intervention.

We've got a significant amount of work done on these conversions, we just have to get proper approval and integration before they can be made available.. but even if we GIVE them to you, we're on the hook for a percentage of sales that would have been made... a percentage that would impact printing and shipping.

So, for now, we will pursue creating this content, and all relevant paperwork with FG, but CANNOT offer a free FG conversion of this book at this time. If this affects your decision to back us, we're ready to accept that decision, and hope we can regain your business when the FG editions become available.

We're working on a solution, to get the conversions we've already completed, into your hands.

Now, I know that in the past I have gotten FG mod versions of Kickstarter projects included in my KS pledge, so I'm wondering "what gives?" here. This post makes it seems like Smiteworks is refusing to allow them to include a FG module, which seems odd and is contrary to my experience. If Smiteworks has a new policy regarding Kickstarters, what is it? I am particularly baffled by this since the implication in this and other comments on this KS is that these developers were actually building the FG module themselves, as opposed to just giving the text and assets to Smiteworks to build a mod from (like WotC does.) If that is correct, it seems to me that the Limitless Adventures folks could just send out the mod file along with the pdf.

Something is not adding up here.

pindercarl
October 27th, 2017, 20:11
There is a whole thread on this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33913-Warning-about-Kickstarters-Claiming-to-support-Fantasy-Grounds-add-ons

Of particular interest may be Doug's post on page 3 of the thread.