PDA

View Full Version : Minor Feature Request - Feats

Blackfoot
October 22nd, 2017, 02:09
There is a small issue with the way 'Feats' are built in the Pathfinder Ruleset. They have no 'Description' line. Pretty much ALL Feats have a little description at the beginning that is mostly flavor text, there is no spot to put this text in the current setup. (I usually dump it in with Benefit and end up having Benefit appearing twice)

Ken L
October 22nd, 2017, 02:48
There are feats. The template exists. I think there's a library for feats made awhile ago by someone who parsed d20pfsrd back in 2012. I was going to make one one-upon-a-time but decided against it.

Faelwen
October 23rd, 2017, 14:54
Some modules (including my own) have added that little description within the "Benefit" part. To distinguish it from the actual Benefit, it is tagged as a chat frame (CTRL+3, or <frame> in XML).

Blackfoot
October 23rd, 2017, 15:09
Some modules (including my own) have added that little description within the "Benefit" part. To distinguish it from the actual Benefit, it is tagged as a chat frame (CTRL+3, or <frame> in XML).

Sure a doable work around.. or you can make it a table to separate it... but it would be better if it had it's own field.
Most of the modules leave it out entirely as there is no 'real' place for it.

Bidmaron
October 23rd, 2017, 15:38
SW, before you got your very lucrative license with 5e and before your current focus on Starfinder, which is all ver understandable, PF with their generous open sourced license was one of your main bread and butter mainstays. We should not have to put up with this kind of workaround, and I would hope that this weighs high in your priority list of things to fix. I get it you have to focus resources where your revenue streams warrant. But it is not unreasonable to expect something this fundamental to get fixed.

You are probably already planning to do so because you have never let us down before, but since no one has said so, I feel like this needs to be done.

Llisandur
October 26th, 2017, 06:30
There is a small issue with the way 'Feats' are built in the Pathfinder Ruleset. They have no 'Description' line. Pretty much ALL Feats have a little description at the beginning that is mostly flavor text, there is no spot to put this text in the current setup. (I usually dump it in with Benefit and end up having Benefit appearing twice)

Here you go.
Enhanced Feats extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40814-Extension-Enhanced-Feats&p=361608&viewfull=1#post361608)

Bidmaron
October 26th, 2017, 12:47
Llisander, thanks, but part of the beef is that paid content should have this information (and not done as a kluge). I love FG but I am upset that they did not fix something this basic to the game when it has been incorporated into 5e. I am not expecting them to instantly fix all the automation features, but this is simply to put in material that has been around since 3rd edition

Llisandur
October 26th, 2017, 19:25
I understand what you're saying, but I believe doing small things like making extensions like this is a good place to start. I've seen them add other extensions into the ruleset after an update, so with this I've already done some of the work for them if they want to use it.

Blackfoot
October 26th, 2017, 19:49
I understand what you're saying, but I believe doing small things like making extensions like this is a good place to start. I've seen them add other extensions into the ruleset after an update, so with this I've already done some of the work for them if they want to use it.That is definitely true. Bidmaron is coming off a bit strong in his response to the issue... but yeah.. it should definitely be fixed.. and certainly your extension could assist in moving that along. Thanks.
It was what? 3 or 4 lines of code to add the extra field right? (a little more with the additional feature you added for Source probably)

Llisandur
October 26th, 2017, 20:41
That is definitely true. Bidmaron is coming off a bit strong in his response to the issue... but yeah.. it should definitely be fixed.. and certainly your extension could assist in moving that along. Thanks.
It was what? 3 or 4 lines of code to add the extra field right? (a little more with the additional feature you added for Source probably)

It was a little more than that, but it was primarily copy-paste then testing to make sure it worked the way I wanted. So yeah, it only took maybe two hours to do because I had to figure out how certain things were working. Xml templates are a pain. :P

Trenloe
October 26th, 2017, 21:24
Reminder to all - changing a few lines of code in maybe two hours might give you a new field in the feats window. But now all of the many, many modules out there need to be updated/changed to incorporate this new field. Either adding in data that wasn't there before, or moving a portion of data from another field.

Please keep this in mind when demanding "simple" changes to the FG code. It isn't always just the FG code that needs changing, it's frequently the underlying data that needs to be changed too. If the code was changed, the next step would be complaints and people upset because this field is now there, but the old data isn't in the right place!

I get that you want a change and on first glance it looks simple - but please consider the downstream issues and backwards compatibility when making such requests.

Blackfoot
October 26th, 2017, 22:23
Reminder to all - changing a few lines of code in maybe two hours might give you a new field in the feats window. But now all of the many, many modules out there need to be updated/changed to incorporate this new field. Either adding in data that wasn't there before, or moving a portion of data from another field.

Please keep this in mind when demanding "simple" changes to the FG code. It isn't always just the FG code that needs changing, it's frequently the underlying data that needs to be changed too. If the code was changed, the next step would be complaints and people upset because this field is now there, but the old data isn't in the right place!

I get that you want a change and on first glance it looks simple - but please consider the downstream issues and backwards compatibility when making such requests.I think that in this particular case, if the extra field becomes available, it is hidden when there's no data... so the modules without data shouldn't be damaged by the change. If the modules already include this data as a field but have no way to display it as the ruleset does not have the ability to do so.. then even better.. I'm not sure that's the case though.

You are definitely right about 'demands' though. I certainly wasn't 'demanding' anything.. this is definitely a minor feature that will fix a minor problem in the ruleset though. Coming on strong on this sort of stuff doesn't really help anyone.

Bidmaron
October 27th, 2017, 01:31
I had posted something that I withdraw because I am 100% confident that SW will fix it all in due course, and I think I earlier expressed my view in a way that, as Blackfoot said, may have come across harsher than I intended.

I am, and will remain, an ardent support of SW and FG. Keep up the great work!

madman
October 27th, 2017, 03:04
That does not change the fact we all would like to see some of those little things fixed.
We all get fired up from time to time, then we cool off.

Madman..
The Dragon-Sired Master of Really

lokiare
October 27th, 2017, 04:36
That does not change the fact we all would like to see some of those little things fixed.
We all get fired up from time to time, then we cool off.

Madman..
The Dragon-Sired Master of Really

Add it to the suggestion site (can be found in some signatures). Then promote it and see if you can get enough people to vote for it, to become a priority.

Bidmaron
October 27th, 2017, 05:08
Iokaire, forgive me, but we should not have to request that paid content get fixed. While what we have been discussing is not an error per se, it is something that should have been right upon release. Again, this is not an automation issue that would have required hours to fix, it was adding a single field to a form. Had this been done upon gaining the PF license, it wouldn't need fixing, as all the content producers would have simply put the stuff from the books into the field provided for.

Blackfoot
October 29th, 2017, 14:44
VOTE HERE (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=114525) for this feature.

Talyn
October 29th, 2017, 15:36
Voted!

Agreed, this is data that should have been built in from the get-go.