PDA

View Full Version : bad allocation on pfrpg - got around that now stuff wont save (that did before)

IrishBouzouki
October 22nd, 2017, 00:06
Had the FG update this week.
Before that was working fine.

Tried to log on to a GM's game server to create a pfrpg character.
Every time I would open the core rules the memory use would go over 3-4 GB and I would start getting "bad allocation" errors
Nuked cache rebooted machine etc didn't solve it.
Had to workaround by creating the character on HeroLab then using the char converter and just uploading the xml.

However... ever since then... I keep getting messages even on my local manage characters in pfrpg that stuff can't save (like maybe a permissions problem)
every time I open the manage characters locally for instance I get the dang welcome dialog that I always uncheck to show next time, but there it is back again
luckily characters do seem to actually save properly
just the welcome dialog and the console errors
this was all working just fine before this week

what permissions are required to be set in Fantasy Grounds AppData and the subfolders for this to work properly?

damned
October 22nd, 2017, 00:23
you must have full modify/read/write permissions.

IrishBouzouki
October 22nd, 2017, 00:34
you must have full modify/read/write permissions.Okay, can someone tell me what entity on my PC needs that? I can edit the permissions. Right now the folders in FG AppData have different settings (it came that way). FOr instance some have an entity "LOCAL" with full permissions, some have various entities like User..., ...Admin..., etc. WHich one is FG operating under to get the permissions? Or just "All users" (sic)?

damned
October 22nd, 2017, 02:09
Grant Users or <your username> those permissions only on the Fantasy Grounds folder and its subfolders/files.

IrishBouzouki
October 22nd, 2017, 12:55
okay did that, Fantasy Grounds AppData (and pushed to all subfolders) have full control for my username and for authenticated users

but I must be wrong about what is causing the opening dialog in pfrpg manage characters to always show even after you check it... because the permissions edit did not fix that problem

any ideas what else it could be? is this just a bug in the last release from this week

(which btw has seemed to return to the issue from a while back wrt memory use in a 32-bit app that you see in pfrpg with the core rulebook taking 800 MB+... why don't SmiteWorks, in the interim before FGU solves all the worlds problems, just build a 64-bit build of the player-side application with the same source since that has been reported to be the crux of the memory problems)

damned
October 22nd, 2017, 13:30
Hola IrishBouzouki

Does this happen in manage characters for other Pathfinder campaigns?
What books was the GM sharing in that campaign - it may be that pathfinder GM only books cause similar memory issues for players as the 5e DMG and Adventures do?

The current game engine has no 64bit capabilities...
The real issue is the memory handling architecture of the current game engine / implementation that sees a 100mb resource consume 1000mb of ram for example.
Its not going to get addressed.

IrishBouzouki
October 22nd, 2017, 15:02
The popup dialog ("campaign setup") comes up every time I, locally, use "manage characters" without a campaign selected at launch. "Show on Load" is checked, and I uncheck it. But next time it comes back up again, and checked again. So that show-on-load state is not being saved successfully (although... no console error).
When I open the same thing, but with a campaign selected (sample space of one anyhow), I do *not* get the "campaign setup" popup.

The GM and I tried many things wrt to the memory "bad allocation" errors when I was initially attempting to build a character on the GM's game server. We both watched the memory usage start around 2 GB with no modules and just opening the PFRPG core rulebook on the player end would make it climb to 3-4 GB and then start having problems (hang, CTD, bad allocation errors, etc, varied from time to time depending what we did). In my opinion character creation using the nice new Paizo Core Rulebook etc is simply non-functional, and in fact if you open the Core Rulebook in-game you are asking for technical difficulties. Never used to have that kind of trouble with the old pre-Paizo-integration stuff, which I have probably used a lot more back when that was the only option. I guess it is the price you pay for the attractive graphics and more functional user interface, running on a program that to me seems to have significant memory usage issues. It seems to be worse on campaigns that are underway for a while with more images etc loaded. And it at least seems to me to be much worse under this week's update (3.3.3?) than it was the previous month or so.

Oh, and btw, there is no memory issue using the local manage characters, you can open all those modules no problem. Just when you are logged on to a GM's remote game server and doing it in-game.

But I can probably manage with never opening the Core Rulebook during play, I bought the pdf eons ago after all and I have HeroLab to make characters, even if I think that really means FG is not working as it should and should be fixed. I am just mildly annoyed by the dang popup that wont go away.

IrishBouzouki
October 22nd, 2017, 15:08
And I have not seen the console "can't save" errors for a day or so now... it may have cleared up somehow churning stuff thru my system before I even did any permissions changes. So it may be difficult at this point to give more particulars on that unless/until it happens again, which I be fine if it did not.

Zacchaeus
October 22nd, 2017, 16:04
FG on it's own does not use 2Gb of memory so something must be being shared to cause that much memory to be used at the start. Check that there aren't some huge images or any tokens being shared and if so unshare them.

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2017, 16:59
It looks like the "Show on load" issue is a general problem with manage characters.

As Zacchaeus says, if you're starting with 2GB of memory use then the GM has shared a lot of other stuff with you - either modules, or tokens and images within the campaign itself.

ddavison
October 23rd, 2017, 04:18
I'm only seeing memory usage of 922MB with the PFRPG Core Rules, Bestiary, Bestiary 4, Advanced Players Guide, Ultimate Magic, NPC Codex (not yet released) and 2 Kingmaker adventure modules open.

As has been mentioned, I would recommend checking the GM's system to see if they have other files inside their tokens/shared folder, desktop decals or if they have other large image files shared.