PDA

View Full Version : FG Crashing When Importing Characters

Koreapsu
October 21st, 2017, 21:15
I've recently had a pretty annoying problem pop up. When I try to import the xmls of players into a game FG will randomly crash. This also happens to my server when players try to upload their own managed characters to my server. It doesn't happen every time, but at least 1 out of every 4 import character attempts results in a crash, and having to restart FG.

I go to the PC button - click that.
Click the / at the bottom of the box that opens.
They click the up arrow.
They the file browse files box opens and that's where it crashes. It seems like any movement around in that box with my mouse, any scrolling, anything other than just click as fast as I can crashes FG.

Since I'm not running a West Marches game with 60+ people that requires the upload of different character sheets for each session this is extremely frustrating.

This morning I deleted the cache, just to see if that would do anything - no use.

I then unintalled FG and reinstalled - no use, same problem right away.

I've never had this problem before in all my years here, any help?

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2017, 22:10
I've not heard of this one. Where is the folder located when you click on import characters?

Koreapsu
October 21st, 2017, 22:35
I thought it might be folder location as I was getting it importing from the standard windows download folder. I moved the folder around to other drives, onto the desktop, all over. Same result. Took out the files and tried having them sitting on the root of a drive, same result.

Also the same crash happens when other people are uploading their characters to my server, so that's a bit weird.

To import 6 characters into a game it's taking me up to 45 minutes full of crashes atm. Pretty frustrating.

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2017, 23:32
Are you using any extensions? Does it happen in a new campaign without extensions?

Moon Wizard
October 23rd, 2017, 00:13
Actually, you might want to check what the memory utilization for FG when your campaign is open using Windows Task Manager. When I start hearing about crash scenarios, it’s usually when memory limits are being reached.

Memory limits are usually triggered by too many graphics loaded (too many tokens, large/too many images, too many modules).

If not, try posting the character XML and which ruleset you are using.

Thanks,
JPG

Koreapsu
October 27th, 2017, 08:49
Cheers I'll check that.

It was no particular xml, I'm running a West Marches game with 80 players and when I try to upload it will crash before I actually get to clicking the character xml, it's once the browse folder is open. The same crash happens when players try to upload their own sheets. I have another 6 or so DMs working with me and it's not happening for them.

It's really odd that it doesn't happen at all with no exts in use.

LordEntrails
October 27th, 2017, 16:32
Are you on 32bit windows and the other gms using 64bit windows? Even though FG is a 32bit application, the different o/s architectures have different process size limits. So, if you are the only GM running 32-bit operating system, then you may see issues that no one else sees.

Trenloe
October 27th, 2017, 17:15
As Moon Wizard mention - check the memory use of FG. Open Windows task manager and monitor the memory used by FantasyGrounds.exe - let us know what it is running at when it crashes.