PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Inspiration

Areayewhy
October 17th, 2017, 03:01
My group is experiencing an issue with bardic inspiration that I am hoping someone has found a solution to. Is there a way to roll the bardic inspiration after your roll, but before Fantasy Grounds determines the resolution of the attack, saving throw, etc.? The group is concerned that bardic inspiration is a little over powered since we can see if we succeed prior to making a decision if we want to use our bardic inspiration. Also, we are trying to find a solution that isn’t too much extra work for the DM. We could always roll a d20 (or appropriate die) and then roll our d6 manually in the game, but that would make the DM have to manually enter the results each time and we’re trying to streamline combat as best as possible.

If anyone has found a solution to this problem an explanation would be much appreciated.

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2017, 03:10
The only real solution is for the GM to turn off roll results from being displayed. However, if you do that, then the GM has to communicate all results (attack, damage, etc.). So, you have to sacrifice a little bit of the automation, in order to provide the "interrupt" option for effects such as bardic inspiration.

I don't mind the extra benefit that bardic inspiration provides in the automated scenario, since it speed up play, which is more important to me personally.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
October 17th, 2017, 16:21
When we were worried about it being overpowered we simple would have the player state before they made the roll when they would use it. For instance, they would say "If I roll a natural 10-13 I will use my inspiration." You can also come to an agreement that bardic inspiration is always used under x & y conditions (same type of statement as above).

Johnny Opie
August 5th, 2018, 14:47
A bit late to the thread, but on action related rolls like combat or skill checks I prefer to switch to the Manual Entry option for dice rolling. You can still roll the die in Fantasy Grounds separately, roll the Bardic Inspiration if you want, then enter the result in the Manual Dice Entry box. It is a bit of an interruption to play, but is infrequent enough to not be so bad, better than trying to forecast everything up front. There is still the problem for saves if you have them coded in the spell or effect and they auto-roll.

GavinRuneblade
August 5th, 2018, 18:47
When we were worried about it being overpowered we simple would have the player state before they made the roll when they would use it. For instance, they would say "If I roll a natural 10-13 I will use my inspiration." You can also come to an agreement that bardic inspiration is always used under x & y conditions (same type of statement as above).

I like that "If I roll X-Y I'll use the inspiration." It is a small difference, but it does a good job of helping people plan ahead.

Nylanfs
August 6th, 2018, 17:03
A bit late to the thread,

Welcome to the forums and FG Community Johnny!

Johnny Opie
August 7th, 2018, 03:09
Thanks Paul. I read the forums quite a bit for advice. Time to stop lurking and start contributing.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2018, 03:48
Thanks Paul. I read the forums quite a bit for advice. Time to stop lurking and start contributing.
Ooh! You know Nylanfs secret identity!!!

Nylanfs
August 7th, 2018, 12:48
Well it is in my sig. :)

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2018, 18:58
Well it is in my sig. :)
Yea, you aren't very good at keeping secrets are you?

GavinRuneblade
August 10th, 2018, 06:47
Got a secret
Can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save
Better lock it, in your pocket
Taking this one to the grave
If I show you then I know you
Won't tell what I said
'Cause two can keep a secret
If one of them is dead!

Myrdin Potter
August 10th, 2018, 11:08
It is standard 5e rules to not use the ability unless you know the roll. Shield spell, for example, you do after the roll.

In theory, you are not supposed to know if the ability hits or not, but if you know the roll most players can take a pretty accurate guess, so the exact hit or miss message is not that important.

Fighter - Battlemaster dice work the same way. So Bardic Inspiration is not really any different or more powerful than any other similar ability.

Bards cannot do it unlimited times, it is a shame to make them waste it.

Johnny Opie
August 10th, 2018, 22:35
Bards cannot do it unlimited times, it is a shame to make them waste it.... or make it cumbersome to play. I agree whole-heartedly.

JennyRB
October 8th, 2018, 22:14
Add a power and call it Bardic Inspiration (in both names). Then go to the tab net to the power group and add how many uses the set it to rest. Almost forgotten add a effect by left clicking on the power.
This link will help. though it dose not show how to input the dice it only have a / <---this in the coding part, but I'll figure that out some how.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dctEkBftJFivXBYBQ3cQPqDyRuRr6KNcGwTf9oQ2YzU/edit

AlchemicalAgent
October 15th, 2018, 15:23
Almost forgotten add a effect by left clicking on the power.

What I ended up doing in my campaign is setting up a custom effect under the Power called "Bardic Inspiration" with a duration of 10 min. The bard can drag the effect to whatever character he's giving insp. and they'll have 10 min to use it. The downside is you then need to roll a die manually to modify whatever roll you're targeting, but I'm not sure how else you can do it when they're not required to use the roll immediately. I also have current effects set to show by the character name when their turn comes around so it's a nice reminder that they have inspiration to spend.