PDA

View Full Version : Click / Dble Clik and more dice than expected

Smoltok
October 16th, 2017, 11:09
Hello,

Some of my players have some kind of problem. We used the 5E ruleset. They know when they have to click or dbleclick, but sometimes for unknown reason, more dice has been launched than expected.

Is this issue is known ? Could we do something about it ? Is it a network problem ?

El Condoro
October 16th, 2017, 13:18
Can you give more information? What is being done at the time? (Attack, Damage, Saves etc.)
Usually I find it is because an effect is on the target or actor that I have forgotten. e.g. the target has the Prone effect on, so 2 attack dice are shown because the attack is with disadvantage (ranged) or advantage (melee)

damned
October 16th, 2017, 13:18
perhaps they have more thumbs than fingers like me sometimes and occasionally a right click is happening as well...?

Andraax
October 16th, 2017, 13:22
Right click while dragging the dice adds to the number of dice thrown. Are your players accidentally right clicking?

Smoltok
October 16th, 2017, 13:28
Can you give more information? What is being done at the time? (Attack, Damage, Saves etc.)

When using the attack button in the action tab panel. Sometimes, with just a dbleclick, the roll is launched two times instead of one.
And no pb with adv or dis rolls.

Smoltok
October 16th, 2017, 13:30
Right click while dragging the dice adds to the number of dice thrown. Are your players accidentally right clicking?

It is not the first time and they know how to use interface.

Andraax
October 16th, 2017, 14:15
When using the attack button in the action tab panel. Sometimes, with just a dbleclick, the roll is launched two times instead of one.
And no pb with adv or dis rolls.

When this happens to my players, it's because they had more than one target. Check your log and see if the rolls are actually targeted at different targets...

Smoltok
October 16th, 2017, 14:19
When this happens to my players, it's because they had more than one target. Check your log and see if the rolls are actually targeted at different targets...

Good idea, I will check this once too. But I used to check the logs when this kind opf bugs happens.
I will make some test with a player tonight.

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2017, 20:38
If you use a button, you only click once. If you click twice, then you will roll twice.
If you are activating a roll from a text field, then you need to double-click to activate.

It's probably just confusion between the two modes of activating rolls.

Cheers,
JPG

spite
October 16th, 2017, 21:49
If you use a button, you only click once. If you click twice, then you will roll twice.
If you are activating a roll from a text field, then you need to double-click to activate.

It's probably just confusion between the two modes of activating rolls.

Cheers,
JPG

This is untrue. The Attack and Damage buttons for weapons in 5e character sheet both require double clicks to operate.

Andraax
October 16th, 2017, 22:14
5E doesn't have buttons for attack and damage. They are text / dice fields.

spite
October 16th, 2017, 22:59
5E doesn't have buttons for attack and damage. They are text / dice fields.

That's just trying to be disingenuous. They're boxes, that cannot be edited without going into the settings, that can be dragged, or double clicked on. https://puu.sh/xZOcW/988e875cdf.jpg

And they look a hell of a lot like buttons, especially to the general users of this program. You know, the ones that should be able to understand how to use it without having to worry about whether that button is a button, or a text/dice field that behaves differently to the spells/powers sections that it shares a space with.

Edit: I have yet to have a player ask me if he should press the attack text/dice field. Every time without fail, it's "the attack button". That's the stem of the confusion. There is things that look like they should operate like other things, but don't. This is what people mean when they say FG has a confusing interface.

Andraax
October 16th, 2017, 23:18
Buttons appear raised. See the "Death Saves" on the main tab for an example of a button.

You can tell the difference between a text field and a button by looking at the mouse pointer. If it shows a hand, it's a text field and must be double clicked. If it shows an arrow point, it's a button and just needs a single click.

spite
October 16th, 2017, 23:24
Buttons appear raised. See the "Death Saves" on the main tab for an example of a button.

You can tell the difference between a text field and a button by looking at the mouse pointer. If it shows a hand, it's a text field and must be double clicked. If it shows an arrow point, it's a button and just needs a single click.

Cool. So now everyone who buys this program can come search the forums and click on the thread that says "Click/Dble Clik and more" to find that pertinent piece of user information.

I'm well aware which ones are buttons, and which are not. Which requires two clicks and which require one. But this was not because it was obvious, or information readily available. It was from trial and error and "oh, why's it like that? That's dumb".

Do you see what I am getting at? The UI is not intuitive. Smiteworks are not meant to be selling a product to people who understand the pointer head, and whether or not that button is a text field or not. They're not even selling the product to me. I've already bought it. It's meant to be understandable at face value. So free players who get into a game want to try it out, not come away going "Oh, well the interface is archaic and clunky and behaves weirdly, I'll stick to Roll20 thanks."

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2017, 23:31
spite,

You are correct. In the end, it comes down to the fact that standardizing and refining the UI is not at the top of the priorities at the moment. I agree that it should be refined, and I have that sort of general UI refinement on my internal list of things I'd like to get to. However, it's scattered across many rulesets, so not a trivial fix.

Regards,
JPG