PDA

View Full Version : Effect Code Builder/Generator

astromath
October 13th, 2017, 06:03
I'm looking for an extension that can take effects and build them for people that do not know how to code effects. The Wiki is nice, but I have an extremely hard time understanding it. Even the examples are a little hard to understand.

Example: Suppose there is a creature that when it steps into shadows, its AC would increase by x, gain resistance to certain nonmagical weapons, and a couple of other items for that one trait. (This creature comes from a published source, so I'm referring to this trait in the most general terms. Also, the way the trait is worded, it refuses to parse at all.)

Basically, this would take the place of or add the effect to the Custom part of the Effects window. Call it an Effect Code Builder or an Effect Code Generator or what have you.

JohnD
October 13th, 2017, 06:11
There isn't much effort to worry about things like this unless they come from official 5e products, unfortunately.

astromath
October 13th, 2017, 08:16
This is an FG internal thing. Nothing about 5e, per se. A code builder would take what's already available and create code for it. Like my example about adding 2 to AC. I think the code should be AC: +2. And that's an easy one. Many codes are not so easy. And I have no idea how to do it. Just look at the wiki. All the codes are there. A code builder would take those codes and build something useful for any effect you would want.

The code builder could even be extrapolated into other edtions or rulesets.

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2017, 08:59
This extension comes close to what you are talking about.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40270-Item-Enhancement-(add-effects-to-items-and-when-they-are-equipped-apply-them)

astromath
October 13th, 2017, 09:07
That is pretty close. However, if you don't know the coding format, or, even if you do, I'd like to see something along the lines of the following:

A drop down box for the code, then a couple of other fields for what comes after the colon. This would especially be true for the IF and IFT codes.

A perfect example would be something like the function builder in a spreadsheet such as Excel or OpenOfficeSpreadsheet.

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2017, 10:37
Alright, try this one (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35301-New-Extensions-Effect-Wizard-for-v3-2-x). I don't think it is complete and may not be actively being worked on.

celestian
October 13th, 2017, 17:10
That is pretty close. However, if you don't know the coding format, or, even if you do, I'd like to see something along the lines of the following:

A drop down box for the code, then a couple of other fields for what comes after the colon. This would especially be true for the IF and IFT codes.

It does part of what you're asking, such as for ability adjustments, saves, immune/vuln, atk/init/etc and other things. It doesn't have an option for IF/IFT as of yet tho.

I completely get where you are coming from. When I first started playing with effect strings it was very frustrating.

astromath
October 13th, 2017, 17:44
Alright, try this one (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35301-New-Extensions-Effect-Wizard-for-v3-2-x). I don't think it is complete and may not be actively being worked on.

That's what I'm looking for.

@celestian: I am watching your thread. That's also something I'm looking for.

Rob Twohy has already done a lot for feats, spells, racial traits, and class features. He's even done one for conditions and effects. However, you have to buy them at the dmsguild.

P.S. Is there some way to build an effect that calculates a critical other than a nat 20?

Nylanfs
October 13th, 2017, 19:11
Astro, are your player's aware of the Complete Class guides here?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2017, 21:37
P.S. Is there some way to build an effect that calculates a critical other than a nat 20?

Not an effect but if you add the property crit range x to a weapon then it will register a critical if the roll is a value between and including x. So crit range 19 will give you a crit on a 19 or a 20. You can also adjust the global crit range in the character sheet in the weapon meta data dialog (magnifying glass on the weapons bar in the actions tab).

astromath
October 13th, 2017, 23:11
What about for NPC parsing for an NPC that has a crit range of 19 or 20; or 18, 19, or 20 (etc.). Whether it be under traits for a universal application or under actions for specific applications of the crit range.

@Nylanfs: My players are not aware since they do not have FG. I use FG with an extra monitor for table top use rather online use.

Zacchaeus
October 14th, 2017, 09:32
No, NPCs can't have a crit range. You could of course create the NPC as a PC if it was really important or just do it manually by holding down shift when applying damage from an NPC if it hit with an 18+ or whatever

astromath
October 14th, 2017, 12:06
That's too bad. I'm transcribing creatures from a pdf file and several of them have crit ranges of 19 & 20. And one with a crit range of 18-20.

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2017, 17:48
That's too bad. I'm transcribing creatures from a pdf file and several of them have crit ranges of 19 & 20. And one with a crit range of 18-20.
Throw it on the wishlist. It hasn't been done in FG yet since no WotC creatures have such an ability yet.

astromath
October 14th, 2017, 17:53
I'll do that as soon as I find a post from Moon. He has it in his "footnote" section of his posts.

I'd also like to suggest to add that link to the footnotes of yours and Zacc's posts as well. Or, maybe, once I find it I should bookmark it.

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2017, 17:59
fg2app.idea.informer.com