PDA

View Full Version : DM joining a new campaign as a player -- Where are my books?

allezpsg
October 12th, 2017, 05:26
Hi all,

I've been DMing a campaign on FG for almost 2 years and now that campaign is winding down and my group is about to start a new campaign with one of my players taking over DM duties. We just started a test campaign to make sure everything was working correctly, but I don't seem to have access to the PHBDeluxe that I purchased. In the library, only the basic rules and SRD content shows up. How do I access this my purchased books?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

SirGraystone
October 12th, 2017, 05:40
As a player you can only access the books that the DM own and shared to the players.

allezpsg
October 12th, 2017, 05:49
Thank you for the reply and I don't mean for this to sound dismissive of your answer, but I can't use books that I paid for on my own account?!?!? This seems crazy to me! I get that I can no longer share with other players if I'm not the DM, but why would I be blocked from my own content?

damned
October 12th, 2017, 05:52
You can use books that you own but the GM must permit it.
When you try and Activate your books from the Library -> Modules the GM will get prompted whether or not to permit you access.
Eg: the GM should only give you access to Player resources and not MM and PHB and Adventures.

damned
October 12th, 2017, 05:53
SirGraystones answer was correct but changed about 2 years ago.

allezpsg
October 12th, 2017, 13:11
Ok, this makes more sense. Now the question is how do I even try to "activate my books" to prompt the DM for access? They currently aren't even showing up in my Library button.

damned
October 12th, 2017, 13:17
As per above - Library -> Modules

allezpsg
October 12th, 2017, 13:28
Sorry, that is exactly what I tried...but the books aren't there.

damned
October 12th, 2017, 13:50
Please post a screen shot.

Moon Wizard
October 12th, 2017, 17:08
It doesn’t prompt the GM any more. The GM can select which books to share with players that they own, or select which books players own which they will allow, via the Library->Modules screen on their side. Just ask the GM to enable for you.

Regards,
JPG

damned
October 12th, 2017, 23:54
Hi Moon Wizard how does the GM Client know what books the Clients have?
Are our clients taking with each other behind our backs?
Is Skynet nearing?
Ill never trust my dice again!

LordEntrails
October 13th, 2017, 00:02
Hi Moon Wizard how does the GM Client know what books the Clients have?
Are our clients taking with each other behind our backs?
Is Skynet nearing?
Ill never trust my dice again!
Maybe TRENLOE is the beta version of SkyNet?

Moon Wizard
October 13th, 2017, 00:51
Yes, when the clients connect, the server sends a complete list of module permission records. Initially, this is only the books owned by the GM. Once the list is received, the client sends a set of requests for any modules they own, which the server did not send a module permission record. The server then automatically responds with a module permission record that defaults based on whether the book is a player module or a GM module; and stores the module permission state for that module with the campaign data.

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 14th, 2017, 09:33
So is this all accessible through a different window in the Library module view? Because I cannot see the difference between my modules and player modules?! I tried this already with players and it worked - but it was the same window I would use to open my own modules. Correct? I just wonder if the modules are somehow recognizable as a player module for the gm....

Moon Wizard
October 14th, 2017, 20:00
The data files within each module are either db.xml or client.xml. If a module uses a db.xml data file, it is a GM module; otherwise, it is a player module. There is not currently any marking to indicate whether a module is GM or player, except for the initial permissions (i.e. blocked for GM, allowed for player)

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 15th, 2017, 07:23
OK, thank you Moon Wizard.