PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Table Question

Waldbaer
October 10th, 2017, 10:53
Hi everyone,

just a probably easy to answer question I stumbled upon preparing some smaller encountering events within the official LMoP setting. I wanted to create an easy to roll table which spills out all encounter possibilities at once when rolling the master table (s. picture). Only thing is every time I roll 1 to 16 it gives me an empty encounter sheet. This makes sense in a way as the output is set to encounter and has to be that way because at 17-20 I would otherwise get no encounter at all. If I change to chat - I only become the die results and have to adjust the encounter myself to the rolled number so this is also no working really good. To make myself clear: i know that the roll 1-16 is no encounter etc. - but it everytime creates one nevertheless with no content.

Anyone an idea how I could prevent the game to create "empty encounter sheets" everytime I roll this easy table?

Thanks,
Waldbaer

Zacchaeus
October 10th, 2017, 11:01
You can't have 'selected output'. In other words the table will always output something if it is rolled upon. So in your case you can't not output anything on a roll of 1-16. You could change the emdash to 'No encouter' but that will still produce something. As an alternative to table output you could try Story Templates.

Waldbaer
October 10th, 2017, 11:09
Okay, thought so. Thank you! I just wasnt sure if I have overseen something.

Talyn
October 10th, 2017, 13:03
Did you try simply deleting the 1-16 line? Then it has nothing to work with on that result.

Waldbaer
October 10th, 2017, 13:58
Did you try simply deleting the 1-16 line? Then it has nothing to work with on that result.

Hi Talyn,

funny idea - after reading your comment I was surprised that I did not have that idea though...and I also was convinced that this does the trick. But it doesn't unfortunately. Now every roll creates a full encounter (no longer a blank Version) although I entered a custom d20. And when rolling something below 17, it still rolls on the encounter tables...

but nice try... :)

Talyn
October 10th, 2017, 14:05
Drat! Well it was a thought anyway.

Waldbaer
October 10th, 2017, 15:19
Oh man, I am so stupid! I guess I have a working solution: I simply use Random Ecounter Tables where I enter the Wildnerness Encounters. And then when rolling the master table I can put this out to chat instead of Encounter. This would open the respective random encounter table or "nothing" Information. And this random encounter table then Shows something like make 2d4 spider or whatever and with a click, the encounter is there and can be dropped to the map.

Easiest way to prepare everything and I only create Encounter Tables that are filled with the correct number of foes. No more blank sheets...